This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My school offers a DO/DMD 6 year program. I am interested in dentistry and neurology. I wanted to either specialize in oral surgery or orthodontics, and neurosurgery. Would this be possible or what would my options look like and how would my career path look like?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

My school offers a DO/DMD 6 year program. I am interested in dentistry and neurology. I wanted to either specialize in oral surgery or orthodontics, and neurosurgery. Would this be possible or what would my options look like and how would my career path look like?

Thanks, much appreciated.
Your current plans appear a bit untenable for duration of training and practicality. You probably should look more in-depth at OMS, ENT, and neurosurgery, then make a clear decision to pursue the one that interests you most (those are three full careers in and of themselves).

Reactions: 1 user
The DO/DMD pathway would be good for an oral surgery route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your current plans appear a bit untenable for duration of training and practicality. You probably should look more in-depth at OMS, ENT, and neurosurgery, then make a clear decision to pursue the one that interests you most (those are three full careers in and of themselves).
OMS is very selective and hard to get into so I was just thinking, if I do DO/DMD and don't get into OMS residency, I can do a medical speciality then?

OMS is very selective and hard to get into so I was just thinking, if I do DO/DMD and don't get into OMS residency, I can do a medical speciality then?

you should really figure out a general direction you want to take your career before deciding, because everything you listed above are VASTLY different in terms of career paths. Don't mean to be a debbie-downer, but:

1. You in no way could do all of these (ENT + neurosurg + dental + orthodontics)
2. DO students have a harder time matching into Neurosurg/ENT because those are generally extremely competitive allopathic (MD) programs.
3. This program you speak of is likely the NOVA DMD+DO program, which is specifically designed to provide PRIMARY Medical + Dental care to underserved communities, NOT for building a resume to attempt matching into something like neurosurgery / OMFS /ENT
4. That's a lot of tuition for 2 professional degrees. Unless you are doing OMFS where it's sensible to do this OR you intend to provide primary care as above, there is no reason to drop the serious cash for degrees that are essentially useless depending on what you go into.
5. Applying for post-grad training in Med vs Dental specialties is VASTLY different both in terms of applications and the time lines, yet another reason why this path doesn't make sense

Also, no disrespect to our DO colleagues, but OMFS dual-degrees have traditionally been MD programs, and though fundamentally they are the same, the princiles of osteopathy don't really make sense in the surgical realm. just my ****** opinion.

Reactions: 3 users