Do DOs Have A Harder Time Getting Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a followup question.....so would it be possible for a DO who didn't get a spot through the allopathic match to go back and try to find a spot among the DO programs? Sort of a delayed scramble? I would think it would better for the programs to be willing to fill the spot late, rather than not at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the new D.O. schools aren't horrible and the entering classes have been carefully enough chosen, the board grades should be okay. In fact, being new may have made the directors especially careful in making certain to have good faculty and students. Being from a 'new' school would be superseded in this case. Anyway, like I said.....just opinions.

I never said the board scores would be subpar. Neither did I say that these students would be unqualified, nor did I say that the new DO schools would be horrible. I guess your reading comprehension has always been this bad?

Assuming the new D.O. schools aren't horrible and the entering classes have been carefully enough chosen, the board grades should be okay. In fact, being new may have made the directors especially careful in making certain to have good faculty and students. Being from a 'new' school would be superseded in this case. Anyway, like I said.....just opinions.
The basic science years and professors are not the problem. Take a look at the network of hospitals and residency programs affiliated w/ the established schools and then repeat that w/ some of the new schools. Having an FP program in bfe is a far cry from having a comprehensive assortment of residency programs and rotations in quality hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious about that question I had though, and if they would be permanently blacklisted from ever matching ...

So, it is safe to assume a permanent black-listing from both matches? Or is it possible to try again at some point?

Not sure about a permanent blacklist, but medicine is a much smaller community than you think. People talk. But could you technically be banned from participating in the match? I suppose...you DO agree to abide by the match terms, so you didnt only break the contract to the school but to the match itself.

I see.....thanks for the info. BTW, I'm glad to see you're back and posting again.

No problem. Good to be back. :thumbup:

Board scores and grades are going to be comparable. Reputation and namesake arent. First of all, there is no guarantee that they school will even get full accredidation...not until they graduate people. Secondly, try poking your head in at a top allopathic program and telling them youre a DO student...ok, well PCOMers can do this in Philly, NYCOMers in NYC and CCOMers in Chicago. But now go into a Philly allopathic institution and tell them you are from "the new DO school in rural (insert state here)". Wowee. I dont want to be there. Opinions are fine...but if you rely on your opinions to get you somewhere and ignore the facts, you are going to be unpleasantly suprised.

The basic science years and professors are not the problem. Take a look at the network of hospitals and residency programs affiliated w/ the established schools and then repeat that w/ some of the new schools. Having an FP program in bfe is a far cry from having a comprehensive assortment of residency programs and rotations in quality hospitals.

BINGO! WHO you know, not WHAT you know.

I have a followup question.....so would it be possible for a DO who didn't get a spot through the allopathic match to go back and try to find a spot among the DO programs? Sort of a delayed scramble? I would think it would better for the programs to be willing to fill the spot late, rather than not at all.
yup its possible...not sure how common....but I do know of a few people who have done just that for an internship....ie they applied to allopathic categorical and advanced programs and matched categorical (thus still needing a separate internship)

Sure.

But remember...the MD match is later so by the time you find out you dont match there, scrambling into a coveted DO program is highly unlikely.

There ARE excellent DO residencies out there, and they fill up fast. Certainly by the AOA scramble, if not the match itself.

Relying on a DO program as a backup if you dont match in the allo match is a bad idea. May work for getting into medical school, but residency is different.

Hmmmm, interesting. Maybe I'm being too positive and you both too cynical. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I hope you fellas (JP, Dr.Inviz) are wrong because it'll certainly be better for all D.O.s, LoL :D

Hmmmm, interesting. Maybe I'm being too positive and you both too cynical. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I hope you fellas (JP, Dr.Inviz) are wrong because it'll certainly be better for all D.O.s, LoL :D

Damn dude, you dont get it.

Ive been living this for 5 years. Im not some first year student sitting in anatomy thinking that I can go hang with the big dogs at harvard neurosurgery, as long as I study hard and know the dura. I know what I can attain, even working at the highest level. I know what is likely off limits.

Is osteopathic medicine a "second choice". For many, yes. Should it be? Not really.

Are you limited in what you can do? Not really.

Are you limited at some places? Absolutely.

Its great to be idealistic and hopeful, but you need to be realistic. Im not being too cynical. I know the game. Ive been playing it for a little while now.

Dr. Inviz is just a leech on my boobie.

Damn dude, you dont get it.

Ive been living this for 5 years. Im not some first year student sitting in anatomy thinking that I can go hang with the big dogs at harvard neurosurgery, as long as I study hard and know the dura. I know what I can attain, even working at the highest level. I know what is likely off limits.

Is osteopathic medicine a "second choice". For many, yes. Should it be? Not really.

Are you limited in what you can do? Not really.

Are you limited at some places? Absolutely.

Its great to be idealistic and hopeful, but you need to be realistic. Im not being too cynical. I know the game. Ive been playing it for a little while now.

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. All I'm saying and still saying is, I think the new D.O. schools will lessen nepotism for M.D.s in allopathic residencies, and certainly won't further it or even keep it constant. Let's just move on?

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. All I'm saying and still saying is, I think the new D.O. schools will lessen nepotism for M.D.s in allopathic residencies, and certainly won't further it or even keep it constant. Let's just move on?

More DO schools opening on every corner will further dilute the already questionable opinion the MD world has towards us. We're one step above caribbean schools in their eyes, yet now WE are the ones opening more schools than we can handle. Bad news for the DOs my friend.

You've been in outer space too long.

If you went into this whole process thinking that new schools are a godsend, you are wrong. If I was an allopathic student and I saw that others were still getting into med school with a 2.75 and a 20 MCAT, I would think that DOs on the whole must be superior too... that has happened at some of these new schools on occasion and it sets a bad tone for being a DO. I'm not saying whether the allo student would be right in his assumption... I'm just saying that it creates them and I'm sure that stems to SOME program directors for residencies... it would be naive to think that it wouldn't.

At any rate, I am dismayed to find that DOs have no real chance at some of the super-competitive specialties. I willl say it a billion times though... a rad oncologist that is extremely well known on the east coast told me to check out PCOM so DOs can't be completely blacklisted :)

Members don't see this ad :)
More DO schools opening on every corner will further dilute the already questionable opinion the MD world has towards us. We're one step above caribbean schools in their eyes, yet now WE are the ones opening more schools than we can handle. Bad news for the DOs my friend.

You've been in outer space too long.

i totally agree, this is getting ridiculous. personally, i think these schools are opening up for money. IMO, there are enough DO schools already. that's why I am only applying to schools with good reputation and are well-established.

From the extensive research I have done here, I come to single conclusion. Your residency match will depend on you. If you study hard and do well in exams, you will be fine.

If it helps any, look at the COMP's residency match list this year. It should answer any doubts.

Agreed

True

You can't. Once you match through the Osteopathic match then the online database removes your name from the match system.

No. See above

A match is basically a contract. You still need to sign the official contract, but you better have a damn good reason for doing so. Not "I found something better." I dont personally know of any court cases, but it is something that can be handled legally.

I DO know of a case where someone tried to do this (decline their osteo spot after matching) and the osteopathic program threatened to sue. The allopathic program found out and THEY were upset because they dont want to steal residents and they certainly dont want that type of person in their program.

This doc is currently moonlighting as a living. Never got into a residency spot.

And all of his questions could be found at this resource...

https://www.do-online.org/

In fact, I think they are stated pretty clearly, unlike some of the other things that were pointed out to be "so obvious" in this thread.

It's funny watching a pre-med argue with a graduating medical student.:laugh:

JP is 100% on this issue.

There still is bias against DOs at SOME places. That said, there doesn't seem to be an issue at MOST places. It depends on the specialty, the region, proximity to the DO school belt, the year, the PD and lots of other intangibles. There is no way to definitively answer these questions.

Do you not believe that bias exists amongst MD applicants? Do you think that someone who went to Johns Hopkins is better off than someone that went to some podunk state school? Where do DO schools fit in? Are you better off at a crappy allopathic school than a good osteopathic school? What about new vs. old, state vs. private? There are no real answers to be had. If you were a PD would you take an applicant from some new (and I'll just go ahead and say shady) DO school over someone from an established school? Maybe, it depends on the total package but it IS a factor.

My experience: I applied to only allopathic EM programs. EM was very competitive this year. I applied to a mix of solid to extremely competitive programs. I got interviews at >90% of the places I applied. This included many of the "best" EM programs in the country. The couple that I didn't get were very likely due to where I went to school and I knew that when I applied.

Having said all of that, I matched into a program that I really liked, in an area that I liked. So I didn't get a couple of interviews I wanted. So what. I still got way more than I could possibly go to and wound up canceling places like Duke.

I believe it probably goes MD>DO.

Sounds like you had pretty good luck with your match experience.

There's been some good info on this thread...and a lot of info that is easily attainable by searching FAQ's both here and on do-online.

My plan is to work as hard as possible and network like crazy and see what happens.

ummm...
Doesn't nepotism have to do with your family or maybe best friends?
I'm not related to any MDs.
:laugh:

ummm...
Doesn't nepotism have to do with your family or maybe best friends?
I'm not related to any MDs.

Nepotism is favouritism especially regarding family or friends. Can be used when talking about a certain group too :D

As far as the new D.O. schools helping or hurting D.O.s, I guess we'll know the answer in a few years. The situation of doctor shortages is getting dire and to me, more D.O. schools will only mean more acceptance of D.O.s.

Are you better off at a crappy allopathic school than a good osteopathic school?

YES. Guaranteed. I love football so here's an analogy: The worst NFL team is better than the best collegiate team. Two different leagues totally. Somewhat similar in M.D. versus D.O. when time comes for residency, grants, research, familiarity, etc.

Are you better off at a crappy allopathic school than a good osteopathic school?

YES. Guaranteed. I love football so here's an analogy: The worst NFL team is better than the best collegiate team. Two different leagues totally. Somewhat similar in M.D. versus D.O. when time comes for residency, grants, research, familiarity, etc.

Commander, I respectfully disagree. Your statement is arguable, and your analogy is not entirely sound for MD vs. DO. I think the best way to look at it, is by the individual player, not the team, although the team will most certainly have an influence.

While I agree that DO's might be at a slight disadvantage in the MD Match, with some Allopathic residency directors not even interested in DO's, I don't think it's to the extent that the quality between MD and DO schools differ to the point of being two different leagues, where one is lesser than the other, as you suggest. They are in fact, equivalent leagues in almost every respect. YMMV depending on school and individual characteristics.

Well, the truth is, I'm arguing from my perception, since I haven't yet started medical school, but your statement is still arguable.

It's funny watching a pre-med argue with a graduating medical student.:laugh:

This commander riker guy just doesnt get it.

It would be like me arguing with an attending over the future of his own specialty.

Duh!

Oh well. Let him have his opinion and the rest of us will live in the real world.

It's not that black and white unfortunately when it comes to residency selection

While SDN likes to use the "two applicants with same grades and same scores and everything the same except one is MD and one is DO" ... you will never see this in reality ... no two applicants are EVER the same. Board scores and grades and class rank may be similar ... but personal background, connections, personalities, etc will all be different.

Residency selection is not like college or med school admission. While the dance looks similar, the outcome is different. Residencies are looking for people whom they can trust; such as realizing that you're in over your head and need help from the senior or getting along with your team/attending on a busy ward month. They don't want people whose personalities will clash with the rest of the residents/faculty. They also want diversity (not just race, but interest, background, etc) so that people can share their experiences with each other. No program director wants an intern class full of Stepford Wives.

You will be spending many hours with your fellow residents and faculty ... working with each other and depending on each other. It is in the program director's best interest to rank people who can work together in a cohesive unit and make the work place a fun atmosphere ... not a bunch of socially inept Type A personalities with cephalo-caudal inversion syndrome.

So while board scores, class rank, LORs are important, so are other intangibles ... like what you do outside of academics, how you get along with other people, etc.

So the chances of a DO wanting an MD specialities is highly variable and depends more on the person than the actual degree ... yes, you will have a nearly impossible time getting Rad-Onc at Harvard, or Dermatology at Hopkins ... but you can't make the generalization that "since DOs can't do rad-onc at Harvard, then Harvard prefer MDs to DOs" ... otherwise, how would you explain the presence of DOs at Harvard or Hopkins?

So youre saying the worst MD is better than the best DO?

Youre going to need a ladder to get out of this hole your digging.

Ever thought about the carribean?

Nepotism is favouritism especially regarding family or friends. Can be used when talking about a certain group too :D

As far as the new D.O. schools helping or hurting D.O.s, I guess we'll know the answer in a few years. The situation of doctor shortages is getting dire and to me, more D.O. schools will only mean more acceptance of D.O.s.

I think you still misunderstand things a bit. There is a shortage of doctors but its mostly for primary care and for doctors in rural areas. It's not a shortage of neurosurgens and other super comeptitive speciatly docs. So having more D.O.'s may translate to more getting accepted at MD residencies, but only at those primary care ones or ones that are in "less desirable" rural locations, not at the competitive ones. There are already plenty of MD's competiting for the top spots, they don't need any D.O.'s.

So yes, we will have more acceptance of D.O.'s, but unlikely that it will be at the top competitive levels. Again, there will be some, but most will be for the lower and mid-tier residencies, which D.O.'s already get into w/o much problem as it is.

Commander, I respectfully disagree. Your statement is arguable, and your analogy is not entirely sound for MD vs. DO. I think the best way to look at it, is by the individual player, not the team, although the team will most certainly have an influence.

While I agree that DO's might be at a slight disadvantage in the MD Match, with some Allopathic residency directors not even interested in DO's, I don't think it's to the extent that the quality between MD and DO schools differ to the point of being two different leagues, where one is lesser than the other, as you suggest. They are in fact, equivalent leagues in almost every respect. YMMV depending on school and individual characteristics.

Well, the truth is, I'm arguing from my perception, since I haven't yet started medical school, but your statement is still arguable.

Spiced, you're definitely right that I'm making some assumptions. I'm also arguing from my perceptions so I could definitely be wrong about the worst U.S. allopathic school being more favorably looked at in some regards than the best D.O. school. The quality of education at Howard won't be as good as at P.C.O.M. but once the 4 years are up, the student at Howard will still be in the M.D. pool and provided he did well enough, any ultra-competitive residency is attainable.

Spiced, you're definitely right that I'm making some assumptions. I'm also arguing from my perceptions so I could definitely be wrong about the worst U.S. allopathic school being more favorably looked at in some regards than the best D.O. school.

What perception do you have? That of a premedical student?

We dont even know where you are in the process of medical school application...hell, you could be in high school for all we know.

Where are you in the grand scheme of things? That will give us all a better idea of what your perceptions are draw from.

We dont even know where you are in the process of medical school application...hell, you could be in high school for all we know.

Where are you in the grand scheme of things? That will give us all a better idea of what your perceptions are draw from.

LoL, relax. You are quick to take offence. I'm not trying to be mean, just saying....

Spiced, you're definitely right that I'm making some assumptions. I'm also arguing from my perceptions so I could definitely be wrong about the worst U.S. allopathic school being more favorably looked at in some regards than the best D.O. school. The quality of education at Howard won't be as good as at P.C.O.M. but once the 4 years are up, the student at Howard will still be in the M.D. pool and provided he did well enough, any ultra-competitive residency is attainable.

and not only are you wrong, you're dead wrong, even the AMA recognized that the education of Osteopaths was equal to their standards in the 1950's, for the life of me, I can not remember the name of the report off the top of my head however.

The quality of education at Howard won't be as good as at P.C.O.M. but once the 4 years are up, the student at Howard will still be in the M.D. pool and provided he did well enough, any ultra-competitive residency is attainable.

At face value, I'd say that your statement about any ultra-competitive residency being attainable is not necessarily true, whether MD or DO. An ultra-competitive residency is ultra-competitive, regardless of MD/DO designation, and as stated earlier, there are many factors involved. If you include AOA residencies, then, it can be said that if you want to match in an ultra-competitive residency as a DO, provided you are qualified and have made the appropriate connections, you do have a shot. Just look at the match lists of any decent Osteopathic schools, you'll see people matching in ultra-competitive specialties, too, some in AOA and some in NBME residencies.

I'd call Riker's posts unintentional trolling...but for a D.O. who's graduating and has a good residency to take the bait on this one... ;)

Spiced, you're definitely right that I'm making some assumptions. I'm also arguing from my perceptions so I could definitely be wrong about the worst U.S. allopathic school being more favorably looked at in some regards than the best D.O. school. The quality of education at Howard won't be as good as at P.C.O.M. but once the 4 years are up, the student at Howard will still be in the M.D. pool and provided he did well enough, any ultra-competitive residency is attainable

and not only are you wrong, you're dead wrong, even the AMA recognized that the education of Osteopaths was equal to their standards in the 1950's, for the life of me, I can not remember the name of the report off the top of my head however.

:confused::confused::confused: Okay but I don't see what relevance this has to what I said.

At face value, I'd say that your statement about any ultra-competitive residency being attainable is not true, whether MD or DO. An ultra-competitive residency is ultra-competitive, regardless of MD/DO designation, and as stated earlier, there are many factors involved. If you include AOA residencies, then, it can be said that if you want to match in an ultra-competitive residency as a DO, provided you are qualified and have made the appropriate connections, you do have a shot. Just look at the match lists of any decent Osteopathic schools, you'll see people matching in ultra-competitive specialties, too, some in AOA and some in NBME residencies.

Everyone 'has a shot' I think, even Caribbean graduates. All I know is, my cousin and his brother both got into neurosurgery residencies recently as M.D.s from average schools with better than average grades but not stellar. They both had glittering L.O.R.s though.

Riker, what are basing your information on? Do you think you really have a better understanding of this subject than me who has finished medical school and has a contract with an allopathic residency or JP who has finished (or close enough) medical school and is starting an osteopathic school? Please tell me that you realize how foolish this sounds.

This issue is not absolute. As much as the pre-meds want to have unwavering answer to the DO vs. MD issue, it cannot happen. There are too many factors and intricacies that you cannot appreciate until you've seen them first hand.

As I can state for actual experience, I feel I did not get interviews at a couple of places because I'm a DO. On the other hand, I had several places (again allopathic and competitive) tell me that they love DOs because in their experience the DOs they've had made better residents. One place went on and on about it. One program flat out told me that they particularly want a DO because they like the diversity in their program. That was their experience and their opinion. It doesn't make it a universal truth. That doesn't mean the guy across the street feels the same way. He may hate DOs. It's not black and white. Get it???

Everyone 'has a shot' I think, even Caribbean graduates. All I know is, my cousin and his brother both got into neurosurgery residencies recently as M.D.s from average schools with better than average grades but not stellar. They both had glittering L.O.R.s though.

Yeah, LOR's and having actually made connections at a particular institution that you want to do your residency can make a huge difference. This goes for DO's and MD's. On the other hand, I agree that DO's do not necessarily have completely equal opportunity to match at every NBME residency. We know this. However, DO's are not barred from the opportunity to specialize as they please, provided they have the necessary application features. Not all MD residencies are good and not all DO residencies lack in quality. All in all, you have the opportunity to become whatever kind of specialist you want, using any and all available channels.

Another thing.

There are many intangibles. For example, I applied to only DO schools. For a variety of reasons I'm too tired to outline now, that was my choice. The school I went to was exactly what I wanted and had a curriculum that was perfect for me. I had the time to learn what interested me and had a very supportive faculty and staff. Now say I had gone to my state allopathic school instead just because I wanted the MD. What if I didn't fit in there? What if I disliked the type of students there or the faculty or the curriculum? Would I have performed the same on my board exams? Would I be better off as an MD with average boards and letters or a DO with great boards and letters? With some places I would have the advantage. With others I would be at a disadvantage. It’s not all black and white.

Riker, what are basing your information on? Do you think you really have a better understanding of this subject than me who has finished medical school and has a contract with an allopathic residency or JP who has finished (or close enough) medical school and is starting an osteopathic school? Please tell me that you realize how foolish this sounds.

This issue is not absolute. As much as the pre-meds want to have unwavering answer to the DO vs. MD issue, it cannot happen. There are too many factors and intricacies that you cannot appreciate until you've seen them first hand.

As I can state for actual experience, I feel I did not get interviews at a couple of places because I'm a DO. On the other hand, I had several places (again allopathic and competitive) tell me that they love DOs because in their experience the DOs they've had made better residents. One place went on and on about it. One program flat out told me that they particularly want a DO because they like the diversity in their program. That was their experience and their opinion. It doesn't make it a universal truth. That doesn't mean the guy across the street feels the same way. He may hate DOs. It's not black and white. Get it???

That's exactly what I'm saying, and to get an M.D. if you want to have the best probability of avoiding bias.

Yeah, LOR's and having actually made connections at a particular institution that you want to do your residency can make a huge difference. This goes for DO's and MD's. On the other hand, I agree that DO's do not necessarily have completely equal opportunity to match at every NBME residency. We know this. However, DO's are not barred from the opportunity to specialize as they please, provided they have the necessary application features. Not all MD residencies are good and not all DO residencies lack in quality. All in all, you have the opportunity to become whatever kind of specialist you want, using any and all available channels.

This man is balanced. Agree with you, brother :thumbup:

:confused::confused::confused: Okay but I don't see what relevance this has to what I said.

You say that DO's are some how subpar, this is blatantly false, even the MD world (via the AMA) has recognized that our medical education has been on par with theirs in curricula for decades. I do not fear rotating with MDs out of the thought that I might make myself look dumb because I'm a lowly DO.

DOs are in every specialty there is out there, and we have put people in highly competitive residencies, and if you feel their is a discrepancy between the numbers of people we put into competitive specialties, I think you need to sit down and do some math as to the true ratio that includes the overwhelming discrepancy of how many DOs and MDs graduate a year.

Im surrounded by idiots.

:scared:

how sad is it that this is what I'm using as comic relief while I take a break from studying for the boards...

You say that DO's are some how subpar, this is blatantly false, even the MD world (via the AMA) has recognized that our medical education has been on par with theirs in curricula for decades. I do not fear rotating with MDs out of the thought that I might make myself look dumb because I'm a lowly DO.

DOs are in every specialty there is out there, and we have put people in highly competitive residencies, and if you feel their is a discrepancy between the numbers of people we put into competitive specialties, I think you need to sit down and do some math as to the true ratio that includes the overwhelming discrepancy of how many DOs and MDs graduate a year.

Calm down my good man. I AM NOT saying that us D.O.s are subpar in education. I'm saying that we may encounter some resistance when trying to enter competitive allopathic residencies and areas of the U.S. I'm going to be going to one of the top three or four D.O. schools but I think I should still be aware of any pitfalls.

That is what I'm saying.