Do DOs Have A Harder Time Getting Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how sad is it that this is what I'm using as comic relief while I take a break from studying for the boards...

I wasn't trying to be comical and if it's turned into a parody that wasn't my intent.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously. Where's that picture of the dead horse when you need it?

Here's a small one

BeatingDeadHorse.highlight.jpg

how sad is it that this is what I'm using as comic relief while I take a break from studying for the boards...

Hey good luck with the boards ... hope the 3rd trimester classes and exams won't hamper your study schedule

Who knows, maybe some of the premeds here can give you the low-down on how to study and take the COMLEX ... they seem to be experts in everything else

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey good luck with the boards ... hope the 3rd trimester classes and exams won't hamper your study schedule

Who knows, maybe some of the premeds here can give you the low-down on how to study and take the COMLEX ... they seem to be experts in everything else
Thanks...thats a good idea...any MS-0's wanna volunteer to critique my COMPLEX study schedule?

classes...haha....well surgery is mandatory a few times a week...I wasn't aware that there were other classes going on...who knew...

I'm saying that we may encounter some resistance when trying to enter competitive allopathic residencies and areas of the U.S.

WE?

Youre not even a senior in college and suddenly you're we?

:laugh:

I hope you dont look at PCOM!

Since you've insisted knowing, I'm starting at a D.O. school in August. No offense JP but you seem to have a huge ego.

Which school?

Or do you want to keep that secret.

Huge ego? Agreed. But is it really an ego when you're right?

See you in the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spiced, you're definitely right that I'm making some assumptions. I'm also arguing from my perceptions so I could definitely be wrong about the worst U.S. allopathic school being more favorably looked at in some regards than the best D.O. school. The quality of education at Howard won't be as good as at P.C.O.M. but once the 4 years are up, the student at Howard will still be in the M.D. pool and provided he did well enough, any ultra-competitive residency is attainable.

What in the hell possessed you to use Howard as your example. YES, I would argue that PCOM is superior to Howard, but my God don't you already have enough people on SDN on your case about your awful and uneducated arguments pertaining to the MD DO inequality?

My advice: DUCK!

Did CommanderRiker really say that about PCOM and Howard?

Lets see...who are CommanderRikers friends...

1. SDN Community? No
2. African American Community? No
3. Osteopathic Community? No
4. Drinkers? No
5. Smokers? No
6. People with tattoos? No

So who DOES he have on his side?

kip_amazed.jpg

"You're just jealous because I've been talking about Star Trek allll day."

Even trekkies are ashamed to have Commando boy ruin what is left of their "name" ...

trekkies.jpg

:laugh:

Ummm, this is pointless.

Yea bro, what's the matter with you? you dont answer a question straight up and then question others for being light hearted? Not starting an argument, jphazelton has been nothing but helpful on these threads and if he views you as a nutcase i wouldn't doubt that a bit!

Yea bro, what's the matter with you? you dont answer a question straight up and then question others for being light hearted? Not starting an argument, jphazelton has been nothing but helpful on these threads and if he views you as a nutcase i wouldn't doubt that a bit!

Yeah!

And as you can tell, I have quite a posse.

Better back up off this!

I have to give the commander props. He may be one of the finest forum trolls I've seen in a long time. Here's to you Mr. SDN troll man...real man of genius :thumbup:

482f.jpg

I have to give the commander props. He may be one of the finest forum trolls I've seen in a long time. Here's to you Mr. SDN troll man...real man of genius :thumbup:

482f.jpg

We salute your Mr. "loves Star Trek and isnt afraid to admit it" guy.

While most men are busy with sports, cars and women you are bold enough to don your yellow jumpsuit and head to the sci-fi conventions. Afterall, who needs a woman when you have a furry Tribble by your side? So keep doing your thing Star Trek guy, and leave the real man work to the rest of us.

( I had to google "tribble" )

CommanderRiker, why did you choose osteopathic medicine, you obviously believe it’s inferior in some way (which I do not). If it is something you're against why do you want to be part of it?

Where did I say osteopathic medicine is inferior? I do not believe it is.

Where did I say osteopathic medicine is inferior? I do not believe it is.

Be honest...you think DOs are the klingons of the intergalactic medical world.

Be honest...you think DOs are the klingons of the intergalactic medical world.

The klingons are pretty awesome in Star Trek so yeah ;)
In fact, this is a Vor'cha-class attack cruiser

320x240.jpg

Impressive, isn't she? :)

I am sorry I must have misunderstood your analogy. Were you trying to say they are different but equal? Maybe comparing football to baseball would have been more appriopriate.

I am sorry I must have misunderstood your analogy. Were you trying to say they are different but equal? Maybe comparing football to baseball would have been more appriopriate.

I had said that the schooling is equal but certain other things aren't.

We salute your Mr. "loves Star Trek and isnt afraid to admit it" guy.

While most men are busy with sports, cars and women you are bold enough to don your yellow jumpsuit and head to the sci-fi conventions. Afterall, who needs a woman when you have a furry Tribble by your side? So keep doing your thing Star Trek guy, and leave the real man work to the rest of us.

( I had to google "tribble" )

:laugh: :laugh:

Wanderer4x,

Karate Ni Sente Nashi!!

Well, as long as we're discussing these different scenarios...

Let's say there's this hypothetical student, we'll call him Stringer Bell. He's about to (hypothetically) be an OMS-I at ATSU-Mesa. He made some mistakes as an undergrad with his 2.9 GPA, but he retook the MCAT and got a (hypothetical) score of 34. A lot of places shunned him automatically because of his GPA, but he really loves medicine and is glad that a school is going to give him an opportunity to be a D.O.

Because he understands that he was immature when he was an undergrad, he studies really hard at Mesa, with better-than-average, but unstellar, COMLEX/USMLE scores and (hypothetical) grades. He wants to match in a not-too-competitive allpoathic residency, let's hypothetically say Neurology or IM with a Cardiology fellowship, hopefully in his home-state (hypothetically California.) Being hypothetically slightly-above average, should he forego the osteopathic match and participate in the (temporally later) allopathic match? What are his hypothetical chances? Will anyone care he went to a new school?

I bring this discussion up, because this thread has a lot of (hypothetical?) situations of "all MD's" vs "all DO's" or the "Top DO schools" vs the "bottom MD schools" and the "top competitive residencies" vs "all/less competitive residencies." It also might bring some sanity back to this thread. ;)

This Stringer Bell man sounds like a smart guy. Good luck to him.

I think conversations are pretty pointelss when people overgeneralize, myself.

PA, OK, FL, WV and MI

The difference is that the osteopathic association in these states mandates an AOA approved internship as requirement for gaining licensure.

I am in FL. I heard this may be changing. (Kaikai posted this somewhere) So, how limited are you if you want to apply for one of those fast track residencies? Like, let's say, hypothetically, a FP with OB residency staying in FL?