This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roseyposey112

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already sent in my applications for veterinary school, but I am still taking pre-requisites (Biochemistry, Genetics now and Physiology and Microbiology in the spring). I know I shouldn't fail them or anything, but do I need to get straight A's in these classes or do they matter less now that I've already sent in my applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Who says you will get accepted this year? What if you don't and have to re-apply? Not to mention that some of those classes are quite important and will come up again in vet school.. you should always pay attention and do your best.

Reactions: 11 users
Hypothetically, if I do not reapply next year, do these grades matter for this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hypothetically, if I do not reapply next year, do these grades matter for this year?
Yes, because they do request fall transcripts and take that into account for offering positions even after interviewing especially if they are prereq classes. Some schools will pull offers if you do not perform up to their set standard in prereq courses in the spring as they do request spring transcripts.

Reactions: 1 users
Grades in the required courses always matter. Grades for non-required classes post-acceptance are a bit more lax. But certainly not until you have the official acceptance.

Why slack off now? Continue to do well. You never know what's gonna happen.

Reactions: 10 users
I kind have wondered about this too; more specifically, do the statistics of accepted class reflect GPAs at time of application or when entering (after all pre-reqs are completed)?

Reactions: 1 user

Yes. I get wanting to slack a bit that last year, I wanted to as well, you get exhausted. But, yes, those grades will count especially the fall term and some of those courses will be important in vet school as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, so this term, I'll still do well obviously. what about the spring term though? Also by well, are we talking B/B+ or A's? I just don't want to stress to get all A's.

Also, not to be rude, but do any of the people responding actually have any experience in what I'm asking or are you all just speculating?

Also, not to be rude, but do any of the people responding actually have any experience in what I'm asking or are you all just speculating?

Nah, we're all just slackers and college drop outs with zero life experience.

I got my DVM from a cracker jack box and paid SDN $4,000 for that verified vet badge on my profile.

Reactions: 22 users

It's a little rude.

Dvmd and I are both veterinarians, so yanno - I reckon we applied to vet school and were accepted, right? And just because some of the others that replied may still be pre-vet doesn't mean they have no idea what they're talking about.

I mean... slack off if you want to slack off. It doesn't affect us one way or the other. *shrug*

Or call the schools you applied to and ask them if it's okay if you "ease up" in your last semester. I'm sure they'll tell you different, and they definitely wouldn't make any notes in your file or anything...

Reactions: 11 users
If you are looking to be a vet, you are starting off with the wrong mindset from the start... just something to be thinking of.

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure about all schools, but the school I'm applying to takes your fall grades into account before even sending out interviews. Hence why I'm a stressed out mess right now lol. :)

To be fair, my school does things a little different because of how late the application cycle goes for us, but it's just an example of how fall grades do really matter at some schools.

If you are in any prereqs currently I would imagine those in particular matter

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Usually when someone says "not to be rude," that's a signal they should reconsider what they're about to say, because it's usually rude.

Anyway, <IF> you get in, the grades shouldn't matter and you can slack off as long as you pass with whatever minimum is required by the vet school that you are assuming you will get into.

But, I agree with the two other veterinarians who have already answered that said a) you can't assume you'll get in, and then they will matter, and b) this material matters in vet school - you think you're working hard now, just wait until vet school... so learn it well now and it will just ease up the biochem in vet school.

I can't say I have direct experience evaluating academic qualifications of applications, but I have done vet school interviews (as an interviewer and as a candidate), so I do have a bit of experience with the evaluation process. Not to mention, of course, having gone through it as an applicant/student. Not to be rude....

Okay, so this term, I'll still do well obviously. what about the spring term though? Also by well, are we talking B/B+ or A's? I just don't want to stress to get all A's.
FWIW... I got my typical As until I had my acceptance in hand, and then promptly relaxed a titch and started working/volunteering more elsewhere in life. Ended up with a C+ and B in the remaining pre-reqs I had and was happy as a clam.

And as people have pointed out, look under people's names and you can see what their qualifications are. Generally verified vets have done the vet school thing. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
And as people have pointed out, look under people's names and you can see what their qualifications are. Generally verified vets have done the vet school thing. ;)
I thought they let you become whatever kind of doctor you wanted to be, no schooling necessary, if your post to like ratio on SDN was high enough? Right, @Melchizedek?

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW... I got my typical As until I had my acceptance in hand, and then promptly relaxed a titch and started working/volunteering more elsewhere in life. Ended up with a C+ and B in the remaining pre-reqs I had and was happy as a clam.

I actually just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Reactions: 7 users
It's a little rude.

Dvmd and I are both veterinarians, so yanno - I reckon we applied to vet school and were accepted, right? And just because some of the others that replied may still be pre-vet doesn't mean they have no idea what they're talking about.

I mean... slack off if you want to slack off. It doesn't affect us one way or the other. *shrug*

Or call the schools you applied to and ask them if it's okay if you "ease up" in your last semester. I'm sure they'll tell you different, and they definitely wouldn't make any notes in your file or anything...

hahaha well someone has something to prove. i was just asking, sheesh.

Nah, we're all just slackers and college drop outs with zero life experience.

I got my DVM from a cracker jack box and paid SDN $4,000 for that verified vet badge on my profile.

that's a lot of money! also, chill.

Usually when someone says "not to be rude," that's a signal they should reconsider what they're about to say, because it's usually rude.

Anyway, <IF> you get in, the grades shouldn't matter and you can slack off as long as you pass with whatever minimum is required by the vet school that you are assuming you will get into.

But, I agree with the two other veterinarians who have already answered that said a) you can't assume you'll get in, and then they will matter, and b) this material matters in vet school - you think you're working hard now, just wait until vet school... so learn it well now and it will just ease up the biochem in vet school.

I can't say I have direct experience evaluating academic qualifications of applications, but I have done vet school interviews (as an interviewer and as a candidate), so I do have a bit of experience with the evaluation process. Not to mention, of course, having gone through it as an applicant/student. Not to be rude....

jeez, y'all need to all chill out. i just wanted to see if it was a bunch of presets answering or people who actually went through the process. but thanks for your answer - it has been the most helpful.

well I just signed up for this website to ask this question. I am new here and did not know. I AM SO SORRY. but I've never gotten a C in my life and I don't plan on starting now. I was more asking if I need to get straight A's like I have before this semester.

Same category as "No offense, but..." or "I'm not racist, but..."

you guys all need to relax a bit. i was just asking if it was all pre-vets or vets who actually had experience in getting in. I am new and did not realize people's jobs were listed below their names. don't you all have records to write up or something better than just answering a question trying to make me feel bad?

you guys all need to relax a bit. i was just asking if it was all pre-vets or vets who actually had experience in getting in. I am new and did not realize people's jobs were listed below their names. don't you all have records to write up or something better than just answering a question trying to make me feel bad?

Actually, we DO take time out of our busy days to answer questions on this forum from pre-vets like you. There are many more polite ways you could have phrased said question about whether we have experience, and the way you chose smacked passive aggressive because we weren't necessarily agreeing with you that you could slack off. Then you proceeded to insult TT when she corrected you. Step 1, perhaps go back and think about a more diplomatic way you could have said what you did. If you're going to be snarky, people are going to call you on it and be snarky right back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I thought they let you become whatever kind of doctor you wanted to be, no schooling necessary, if your post to like ratio on SDN was high enough? Right, @Melchizedek?
It's a lot easier building up my post:like ratio than finishing basic pre-req's senior year of college!

Not gonna lie, I was lurking on this thread and totally going to post this morning about how I enjoyed reading LIS, DVMD, and TT lay into this kid, but Ski pulled me into it

Rosey, this IS them chill. If they really were riled up you'd know. Welcome to SDN, we don't tolerate people looking to half-ass things but once you get it in gear, we're a pretty accepting community

Reactions: 5 users

i am chill af fam

Reactions: 4 users
They're not trying to make you feel bad, but you did phrase your question in a way that could very easily be interpreted as rude or passive-aggressive, so I can see why the vets and vet students who've answered you took it the way that they did. It *was* kind of a backhandedly rude way of saying it. It was a mistake, and tone can be difficult to convey properly through pure text. Not a big deal, really; just shrug it off.

And, yeah, the vets almost assuredly do have other, more important things that they could probably be doing. But they choose to stick around to help out us current vet students and pre-vets by offering advice and answering questions, something I and many other SDNers are immensely grateful for. They're a wonderful resource of information and it was always makes me feel a bit sad when I see new members get haughty with them and say that they don't belong in the pre-vet board or insult them or be generally nasty to them just because they don't like what they have to say or whatever, even if it was the most realistic or correct answer that is offered.

Anyway, to address the question in the OP: you need to get at least a C in any remaining pre-reqs to remain eligible for vet schools. If you are accepted this year, unless it's a conditional deal (which I think some schools, especially the U.K. ones, sometimes do?), you just need to make sure that you successfully complete the classes with the minimum C grades to remain eligible. That being said, definitely do your best: a lot of the classes you mentioned in your OP detail information that you will be going over again in vet school, and at a far greater pace and volume, so do your best and try to really learn the basic concepts now while you're still in undergrad. It might make things just a titch easier for you later on should you end up in vet school.

ETA: To reiterate what DVMD brought up... there's always the chance that you don't get in this year... so you really should just do your best, regardless. You never know what's going to happen, especially since the application cycles have been getting more competitive by the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This made my morning as I'm desperately studying for my finals this week.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but you don't want those ones.....they take a finger first, then they hug you..... really weird.
I'd rather pay a finger than a half million dollars for a DVM/MD/DO

Wait I take that back......which finger?

Actually, we DO take time out of our busy days to answer questions on this forum from pre-vets like you. There are many more polite ways you could have phrased said question about whether we have experience, and the way you chose smacked passive aggressive because we weren't necessarily agreeing with you that you could slack off. Then you proceeded to insult TT when she corrected you. Step 1, perhaps go back and think about a more diplomatic way you could have said what you did. If you're going to be snarky, people are going to call you on it and be snarky right back.

haha, okay crazy. go pay off some loans

Veterinary medicine is a small world. Those wishing to enter this field should keep in mind that colleagues are the ones on the other side of the keyboard. One can never know the value in having such people in your rolodex as connections are the backbone to making a career.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sure you won't, but not because you're rich.
Thanks for making me nearly choke on my lunch just now.
tenor.gif

Reactions: 12 users
I want you all to pause and imagine me making a long and exaggerated fart sound right now, because that pretty much sums this up.

giphy.gif

Also at least one small chuckle that (s)he told our lone board certified pathologist to "go pay off some loans" after wondering if we were just dumb prevets..

Reactions: 9 users
haha, okay crazy. go pay off some loans

well good thing i'm rich and won't have any loans.

I want you all to pause and imagine me making a long and exaggerated fart sound right now, because that pretty much sums this up.

giphy.gif

Also at least one small chuckle that (s)he told our lone board certified pathologist to "go pay off some loans" after wondering if we were just dumb prevets..

Another chuckle knowing that I can guarantee this person would never have the balls to say any of that to my face. We'll see that false sense of bravado slowly whittled away as she realizes that such behavior won't win you any friends in the field.

Veterinary medicine is a small world. Those wishing to enter this field should keep in mind that colleagues are the ones on the other side of the keyboard. One can never know the value in having such people in your rolodex as connections are the backbone to making a career.

Word.

that's a lot of money! also, chill.
umm not to be rude, but if you think $4,000 is a lot of money to get a DVM, you’ve got a big storm coming.
I've never gotten a C in my life and I don't plan on starting now. I was more asking if I need to get straight A's like I have before this semester.
*chuckles* oh honey. wait until vet school. it’s gonna get worse. much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.