This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blh5793

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I add the science and math classes that I have withdrawn from into my BPCM? How do medical school committees look at withdrawn math and science courses? I have withdrawn from a Gen Bio 1 with Lab and a Gen Chem 1 with Lab in my freshman year. I am retaking them now and I've got a solic A in both.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I add the science and math classes that I have withdrawn from into my BPCM? How do medical school committees look at withdrawn math and science courses? I have withdrawn from a Gen Bio 1 with Lab and a Gen Chem 1 with Lab in my freshman year. I am retaking them now and I've got a solic A in both.
You will enter them on the med school application just as they appear on your official transcript.

From p 32 of the AMCAS Applicant Guide:

Withdrawal (W) A Withdrawal includes any course you officially withdrew from, regardless of whether you were passing or failing at the time. Such courses usually appear on the transcript as a “W” or equivalent symbol. No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned for Withdrawals, except in cases where the school includes the Withdrawal failing grade in the GPA as an “F.”

A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period and does not appear on your transcript. The courses from which you made unofficial or administrative withdrawals will be included in your AMCAS GPAs if your school included them in its GPA. If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must request that the registrar’s office forward an official letter (with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies.

Reactions: 1 user
You will enter them on the med school application just as they appear on your official transcript.

From p 32 of the AMCAS Applicant Guide:

Withdrawal (W) A Withdrawal includes any course you officially withdrew from, regardless of whether you were passing or failing at the time. Such courses usually appear on the transcript as a “W” or equivalent symbol. No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned for Withdrawals, except in cases where the school includes the Withdrawal failing grade in the GPA as an “F.”

A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period and does not appear on your transcript. The courses from which you made unofficial or administrative withdrawals will be included in your AMCAS GPAs if your school included them in its GPA. If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must request that the registrar’s office forward an official letter (with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies.
Thank you for the information. Just a few more questions. Will my withdrawn courses effect my Science GPA? Like lower my Science GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be crystal clear
1) a W must be listed
2) a W does not get calculated into any GPA
3) a course with W and then retaken later must have both be marked as retakes
Thank you for the information. Just a few more questions. Will my withdrawn courses effect my Science GPA? Like lower my Science GPA?

No. But you could be asked why you dropped them.

Reactions: 1 user