This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancesWithScalpels

Reaction score
I got my score back recently, and ended up with a 222, which was significantly lower than I wanted. So now I'm stressed, because it's already lower than the national average, not to mention an Ivy-League standard. I did well on my OB/GYN rotation and got strong comments. I haven't started research yet, but have a handful of presentations under my belt, and am hoping to get involved with research soon. However, I feel like all programs, especially Ivy's, really care about is Step 1. So with that being said, is my dream dead? :(:nailbiting:

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my score back recently, and ended up with a 222, which was significantly lower than I wanted. So now I'm stressed, because it's already lower than the national average, not to mention an Ivy-League standard. I did well on my OB/GYN rotation and got strong comments. I haven't started research yet, but have a handful of presentations under my belt, and am hoping to get involved with research soon. However, I feel like all programs, especially Ivy's, really care about is Step 1. So with that being said, is my dream dead? :(:nailbiting:

Please stop focusing on step scores. Step scores mean nothing if the rest of your application is not strong.

Reactions: 1 users
Please stop focusing on step scores. Step scores mean nothing if the rest of your application is not strong.

Thank you so much for responding, and alrighty; I’ll try my best to! I just worry, not only about Stanford but other programs in general, because it seems like Step 1 minimums & averages are among the first thing that’s thrown in an applicants face.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is less focus on step scores these days. If you’re otherwise stellar, and worry about matching at a particular program, either do an away there or have people make calls on your behalf. Or (last resort) email PD or APD or any contact you might have there, presumably you want have some connection there?

Reactions: 1 user
There is less focus on step scores these days. If you’re otherwise stellar, and worry about matching at a particular program, either do an away there or have people make calls on your behalf. Or (last resort) email PD or APD or any contact you might have there, presumably you want have some connection there?

Got it! Thank you so much for you feedback, I genuinely appreciate it. I will continue to look into an away there, and yes I do wish to have a connection so I'll start working on that now!

Says who? Google? From what I hear step scores are getting more important if anything.

Says the program directors of the residency programs at the hospitals where I work, who are on the GME committee which I’m also on.

Even the USMLE website clearly states test scores are not meant to be used for the purpose they are being used for and there is no evidence demonstrating performance in residency and usmle scores despite extensive study of the issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Says the program directors of the residency programs at the hospitals where I work, who are on the GME committee which I’m also on.

Even the USMLE website clearly states test scores are not meant to be used for the purpose they are being used for and there is no evidence demonstrating performance in residency and usmle scores despite extensive study of the issue.
I'm a DO student so maybe the standards are different for us. My understanding is that the first filter that many PDs apply in ERAS is based on scores. Also, not every program allows for aways. Some have limited or no spots. As they say, you can't play if you can't even get on the court. Your scores may be the only way to get on that court if you don't do that away or have well known people vouching for you.

I wasn’t saying that people don’t use scores, I’m saying that in my experience there is less emphasis on it than in the past. Yea you need some sort of screen, but people are recognizing that you miss good candidates if you do that. You’re correct that if you have nothing else to get you off the bench (to continue your metaphor) than you will need a solid score to get them to get a look at you.

As an aside, it doesn’t hurt to email PD and PCs but only if you are well and truly interested in a program

Reactions: 1 user

Step scores are absolutely used for cut offs but you might as well apply. I don't think anyone on this board knows of what Stanfords cutoff is to be honest.

What is important in no particular order:
What school you come from
Letters of rec
3rd year clinical grades (OB/Surgery/IM etc)
Step scores

Research is not highly valued in OB GYN residencies. Do it if you are interested and it will be a talking point for interviews but it won't make or break your application or ability to get interviewed.

At this point, the step score is what it is. You might as well apply to all of your dream programs since it is cheap in the grand scheme of things and see how things turn out.

Reactions: 2 users