DO Match List Thread 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should much stock be taken from match choices at specific small programs? Seems like a lot of places overall kept students from their home program. One program I plan on applying had 3/4 spots go to students from their institution, and no DOs, when they usually they have at least one DO.

Was a little worrying to see

Members don't see this ad.

Should much stock be taken from match choices at specific small programs? Seems like a lot of places overall kept students from their home program. One program I plan on applying had 3/4 spots go to students from their institution, and no DOs, when they usually they have at least one DO.

Small programs that like taking home students are always hit or miss. It just kind of depends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Might be happening more in audition heavy programs at schools that didnt let their students do aways (not sure if this is continuing to next year or not). One program I interviewed at this year took 4/5 home students.

It definitely happens in normal years, but covid restrictions probably increased home student retention. I believe 60% of my class matched to “home programs” in my schools system this year

Reactions: 1 users
Might be happening more in audition heavy programs at schools that didnt let their students do aways (not sure if this is continuing to next year or not). One program I interviewed at this year took 4/5 home students.

It definitely happens in normal years, but covid restrictions probably increased home student retention. I believe 60% of my class matched to “home programs” in my schools system this year
Makes sense, I was seeing similar trends on a lot of match lists. Would probably be a safe place to rank #1 for applicants considering all the concern their was with this cycle.

is CC southpointe bad? I know its not the same as the main campus
no I rotated there, it’s a good place. Just in cleveland, and not the real cleveland clinic

I think something to keep in mind for those OMS-I/II/III's that are lurking this forum to understand is that the match lists are only a small picture of the potential DOs had this cycle. I matched my #1 in psych, which I ranked above programs that were much "higher tier" but not a good fit for me. A lot of people with the potential to break the glass ceiling for DOs didn't rank those programs high enough because what medical students don't realize is a lot of top tier programs are "work horse" programs and going after prestige at this point in the game is an easy way to be miserable. So please keep that in mind.

• Care
Reactions: 38 users
I think something to keep in mind for those OMS-I/II/III's that are lurking this forum to understand is that the match lists are only a small picture of the potential DOs had this cycle. I matched my #1 in psych, which I ranked above programs that were much "higher tier" but not a good fit for me. A lot of people with the potential to break the glass ceiling for DOs didn't rank those programs high enough because what medical students don't realize is a lot of top tier programs are "work horse" programs and going after prestige at this point in the game is an easy way to be miserable. So please keep that in mind.
That’s a good point. A lot of these elite students are just much wiser than the rest and not really going for the most prestigious places or specialty.

Well said. I matched pretty well at my #1, but it’s not the “highest tier” place I could’ve ranked. Not sure who out there is picking a place that makes them miserable to impress premeds on the internet lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Matched #1, definitely had “higher” places I would’ve hated every minute of

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As one of those OMS-1s just tuning in, I'm curious, did you know almost immediately when interviewing that you'd hate it at some places? Likewise how easy was it for you to figure out what places you'd be happy at? Seems kinda scary choosing a residency especially since you guys had virtual interviews.

As one of those OMS-1s just tuning in, I'm curious, did you know almost immediately when interviewing that you'd hate it at some places? Likewise how easy was it for you to figure out what places you'd be happy at? Seems kinda scary choosing a residency especially since you guys had virtual interviews.
Only speaking for myself, but I sort of had a running ROL and knew about where every program would fall prior to the interview. But there were definitely some that got moved up or down based on the interview. In fact, the program I was absolutely most excited for came off as so malignant that I didn’t even want to rank them.

I felt really confident in the quality of training at some places that most would consider “low tier” and felt some big fancy places would be super annoying. The great thing about all of this is that every program has to meet acgme accreditation. Even though SDN makes it seem like there’s only 20 programs in any field worth training at, the reality is the majority of places will train you well.

But answering your question overall is difficult because it comes down to what makes YOU happy. For some, it’s going to whatever program they can get in a certain location. For others it’s purely quality of training. For me it was going to program with good training in a place where my spouse/kids would like to live.

Reactions: 13 users
I agree with the poster above me. It’s important to know what you’re looking for and if you’re into your career more than other things in your life.

This year was obviously unique, but I simply reached out to residents that I clicked with on meet and greets and the interviews. I also reached out to people in programs that graduated from my med school and they were more than happy to answer questions honestly.

That being said, there were definitely two “top tier” programs that I immediately noticed the residents were tired and overworked. I made a working rank list as I went through interviews and they were never higher than halfway on my list

For me it was pretty obvious by about halfway through the interview day. I also had a rolling rank list I made as I went from interview to interview.

+1

+2. Myself and many classmates I know had interviews with a number of Top 10 EM programs and most (including me) ranked other programs over them for other personal reasons (location, family, sig other etc). All matched at great programs tho.

hot take, 10 best DO matches of all time since we have no match lists. Yes I have been on here forever. Don’t shame me.

1. University of Michigan CT surgery this year
2. Mayo Orthopaedics 4 years ago
3. Mayo Integrated Facial Plastics 5 years ago
4. Penn ENT last year
5. Mayo NSG 3 years ago?
6. Mayo Derm a few years back
7. Cleveland Clinic plastics last year?
8. NYU ortho this year
9. Penn plastics 3-4 years ago
10. IR at Utah
IR UMich 2020

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
MSUCOM Noteworthy list from FB (There are several more than these but figured to update you guys with some preliminary results)

Tons of FM, EM, IM and Peds; too many to list them all on here

7 Anesthesia: Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford Main, University of Michigan, Beaumont Royal Oak (3), Case Western University Hospitals
11 Neurology: Ohio State University, Case Western University Hospitals, University of Wisconsin Madison, Henry Ford Main, University of Iowa, Spectrum Health GR (2), Sparrow Hospital (3)
1 Peds/Med Genetics: Case Western University Hospitals
1 Child Neurology: Mayo Clinic Florida
13 OBGYN: Ascension St. Johns (2), Ascension providence (2), Henry Ford macomb (2), Ascension Genesys, Mclaren oakland and several others
5 PMR: Rush, Beaumont Royal Oak (2), University of Michigan, University of Toledo
5 General Surgery: Beaumont Royal Oak, DMC, Beaumont Botsford (2), Mclaren Mt. Clemons
7 Diagnostic Radiology: Cleveland Clinic, University of Arizona, Beaumont Dearborn (3), Beaumont Farmington Hills, Mclaren Oakland
2 Urology: University of Michigan, Ascension Macomb-Oakland
2 Ophtho: University of Texas San Antonio, Ascension Macomb-Oakland
5 Ortho: Beaumont Farmington Hills/Dearborn, Henry Ford Macomb, Mclaren Oakland, Ascension Genesys and at least 1 more somewhere else
2 Interventional Radiology: Beaumont Royal Oak, Geisinger
2 Dermatology: Beaumont Botsford, Beaumont Trenton
4 ENT: Beaumont Botsford, Ascension Macomb-Oakland (2), Mclaren Oakland
1 Neuro Surg: Carilion Clinic

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
MSUCOM Noteworthy list from FB (There are several more than these but figured to update you guys with some preliminary results)

Tons of FM, EM, IM and Peds; too many to list them all on here

7 Anesthesia: Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford Main, University of Michigan, Beaumont Royal Oak (3), Case Western University Hospitals
11 Neurology: Ohio State University, Case Western University Hospitals, University of Wisconsin Madison, Henry Ford Main, University of Iowa, Spectrum Health GR (2), Sparrow Hospital (3)
1 Peds/Med Genetics: Case Western University Hospitals
1 Peds/Neurology: Mayo Clinic Florida
13 OBGYN: Ascension St. Johns (2), Ascension providence (2), Henry Ford macomb (2), Ascension Genesys, Mclaren oakland and several others
5 PMR: Rush, Beaumont Royal Oak (2), University of Michigan, University of Toledo
5 General Surgery: Beaumont Royal Oak, DMC, Beaumont Botsford (2), Mclaren Mt. Clemons
7 Diagnostic Radiology: Cleveland Clinic, University of Arizona, Beaumont Dearborn (3), Beaumont Farmington Hills, Mclaren Oakland
2 Urology: University of Michigan, Ascension Macomb-Oakland
2 Ophtho: University of Texas San Antonio, Ascension Macomb-Oakland
5 Ortho: Beaumont Farmington Hills/Dearborn, Henry Ford Macomb, Mclaren Oakland, Ascension Genesys and at least 1 more somewhere else
2 Interventional Radiology: Beaumont Royal Oak, Geisinger
2 Dermatology: Beaumont Botsford, Beaumont Trenton
4 ENT: Beaumont Botsford, Ascension Macomb-Oakland (2), Mclaren Oakland
1 Neuro Surg: Carilion Clinic
Is peds/neuro child neurology? Or peds and neuro??

ATSU-SOMA

FM 25
IM 20
Peds 10
EM 7
Psych 6
Rads 5
PMR 5
OBGYN 4
Anesthesia 2
Gen Surg 2

Missing a few, but this is most

Reactions: 2 users
Or LMU DCOM. Basically advising was like apply to 500 fm programs or you won’t match. Actually I was told that with 100%tile boards so I’m assuming they told that to everyone. Bunch of other top students were told same thing. Such a joke that place is.

or my LOR sucked 😂 but I doubt since I got my 1.
How was Lmus match this year?

IR and UCLA and EM at Denver

Are the Boston U, UC Davis, NYU, and UColorado gen surg matches categorical or prelim?
All of those are prelim. Many of the big surgery programs have put their incoming categorical interns on social media. None of those programs took a DO this year.

It appears the NYU match is at NYU Winthrop in Mineola. I believe this is a brand new program.

Last edited:
CUSOM

FM- 25

IM- 30

Peds- 17

IM/Peds- 4

Ob/Gyn- 5

Psych- 12

EM- 18

Gen Surg- 4

Transitional- 13

Ortho- 2

Anesthesia- 6

Neuro- 2

Child Neuro- 2

Path- 1

PMR- 1

Rads- 5
I appreciate the attempt at transparency but let me help people out on this one

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
So much GS. Last year was like that too I believe. Also CU Denver is one of the most anti-DO places in the country. Props

Edit- Didn’t know it was both campuses. Still impressive (granted I don’t know what institutions on a whole are good vs. bad)

Out of curiosity does anyone know how good Sky Ridge in CO is for general surgery?
It’s not categorical. The current CU PD won’t consider DO. The RVU GS list has quite a few prelims mixed in.

Sky Ridge is HCA, so very meh. Lots of elective surgery though.

It’s not categorical. The current CU PD won’t consider DO. The RVU GS list has quite a few prelims mixed in.

Sky Ridge is HCA, so very meh. Lots of elective surgery though.
My bad, thanks for the correction, the PD not considering a DO is more in line with what I thought.

I have family really close to Sky Ridge so I wasn't sure if it was worth scheduling an audition there?

My bad, thanks for the correction, the PD not considering a DO is more in line with what I thought.

I have family really close to Sky Ridge so I wasn't sure if it was worth scheduling an audition there?
If you are interested in the program I would. They like boards and if you have good boards and rotate you probably have a good chance.

I appreciate the attempt at transparency but let me help people out on this one
Sorry- I got this from the Youtube video they recently posted, I'm not sure what I did wrong haha.

• Wow
So looks like about 25 (at least) only ended up with a one year position. Does that mean all of these people will have to apply again to match categorical next year? With a MD/DO previous grad match rate of about 50% i'd be pretty scared :/
Maybe some are intern years for students that matched to advanced programs?

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a way to find all of the former AOA residency programs easily? It looks like many are in Michigan because people who got into competitive specialities like ENT, Derm, ortho, largely matched there.
"ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)" ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)

Click on "List of programs that applied for accreditation under the single accreditation system by specialty" and search them from there.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't been on SDN in a minute. But just wanted to say that I'm so incredibly proud of my classmates this year! Here is PCOM-PA's match list!

Attachments

• PCOM Match 2021.pdf
    158.4 KB · Views: 192
Question for @poloboy on PCOM match list 2021 for "UCLA Medical Centwr, CA". Is this Anesthesiology program at "UCLA Medical Centwr, CA" at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center at Westwood or Harbor-UCLA Medical Center at Torrance?