DO/MBA joint and FM/OMM vs NMM/OMM for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.O. OMM boob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope to be accepted to and complete a 5 year DO/MBA joint program. I want to do this so that after my residency (either FM/OMM or NMM/OMM) I can open up a private practice confidently and start performing OMT on patients. FM/OMM is a total of 4 years (1 year internship) while NMM/OMM is a total of 3 years (1 year internship).

Been through all the OMM/NMM posts and haven't gotten an answer to the following questions:

1) If I plan to open up an OMM private practice, is there any real benefit to having the FM certification? My guess is that it makes you more rounded and you get dual certification in both OMM/NMM and FM, but is that extra year worth the well-roundedness?

2) I assume the NMM/OMM residency would be much more in depth regarding OMT techniques than the FM/OMM residency. Can anyone verify the level of understanding of OMM in both residencies?

Been a long time lurker for many years, but now that med school is finally approaching I am looking for some advice. I understand that residency is a long way down the road however.

Lastly regarding the DO/MBA joint program degree,

3) Do you guys think that the extra year of med school (about 60-90k extra debt) is worth the MBA degree if I'm looking to open up a private practice right out of residency?

Thank you in advance y'all and best of with your aspirations in D.O. school! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to be accepted to and complete a 5 year DO/MBA joint program. I want to do this so that after my residency (either FM/OMM or NMM/OMM) I can open up a private practice confidently and start performing OMT on patients. FM/OMM is a total of 4 years (1 year internship) while NMM/OMM is a total of 3 years (1 year internship).

Been through all the OMM/NMM posts and haven't gotten an answer to the following questions:

1) If I plan to open up an OMM private practice, is there any real benefit to having the FM certification? My guess is that it makes you more rounded and you get dual certification in both OMM/NMM and FM, but is that extra year worth the well-roundedness?

2) I assume the NMM/OMM residency would be much more in depth regarding OMT techniques than the FM/OMM residency. Can anyone verify the level of understanding of OMM in both residencies?

Been a long time lurker for many years, but now that med school is finally approaching I am looking for some advice. I understand that residency is a long way down the road however.

Lastly regarding the DO/MBA joint program degree,

3) Do you guys think that the extra year of med school (about 60-90k extra debt) is worth the MBA degree if I'm looking to open up a private practice right out of residency?

Thank you in advance y'all and best of with your aspirations in D.O. school! :)

I don't think do/mba is worth it. You can learn how to run a business without an MBA. I think that's better for administration positions.

As far as FM/nmm you will figure that out in med school don't sweat it. The obvious advantage of doing FM is if you want to do primary care versus just manipulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What MBA school are you going to that would cost 60-90k for the year?

I don't think do/mba is worth it. You can learn how to run a business without an MBA. I think that's better for administration positions.

As far as FM/nmm you will figure that out in med school don't sweat it. The obvious advantage of doing FM is if you want to do primary care or just manipulation.
Awesome thanks for the reply :)

What MBA school are you going to that would cost 60-90k for the year?
To my knowledge, when you do the DO/MBA joint programs they knock your MBA out making it 5 years total, but you still pay your DO tuition because sometimes you do half and half for 2 years. It probably varies between schools. and I say 60-90K because the overall cost of attendance for DO schools is around there, unless you get instate tuition from one of the few in-state DO schools, which i won't

Awesome thanks for the reply :)

To my knowledge, when you do the DO/MBA joint programs they knock your MBA out making it 5 years total, but you still pay your DO tuition because sometimes you do half and half for 2 years. It probably varies between schools. and I say 60-90K because the overall cost of attendance for DO schools is around there, unless you get instate tuition from one of the few in-state DO schools, which i won't
I don't know what DO school does it that way, but if you are going for a 2-1-2 with your MBA year between MS2 and 3, I would just take a leave of absence for the MBA year and get the MBA for way less from another school. If the MBA is that important to you.