This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, I am in a similar position and would like to give you my 2 cents.

My LizzyM is a little above yours at 69, and I also applied to all of the Texas schools this cycle only with interviews at TCOM and A&M. I received a pre-match offer at TCOM and am still currently waiting to hear back from A&M. I will admit that before applying, I thought with my stats being the average of many schools in Texas, my 1000+ clinical hours, research pubs, etc, I expected to have at LEAST 4 interviews. If you told me this time last year that I would only have an offer from TCOM, I would have been disappointed and thought, "I didn't work this hard just for TCOM". But here I am 2 weeks before the match and extremely grateful for my acceptance there. I loved every aspect of the school when I interviewed (although the TCU ordeal will be interesting) and I spoke with many students both at the interview and through PMs on SDN. Everyone only had good things to say about this school. I feel that the MD vs. DO "dilemma" is for the most part a pre-med issue. Yes, it might be more difficult to match into a competitive program, but as other posters have said, competitive programs are competitive even for MD students. TCOM is one of the best DO schools in the nation, and they match students into great programs all over the country. I honestly do not think you can go wrong with attending TCOM. I'd like to echo what all the other posters have been saying and recommend that you run with the acceptance. There's no guarantee that you will score significantly better on your 2nd MCAT, and there's no guarantee you will get an acceptance at an MD program next year. On top of that, you would have to report the declining of your acceptance at TCOM for the next cycle, and you wouldn't want to apply with the uncertainty that would bring. MD or DO, you are a physician, and that is what is most important.

Thanks for the response! Yes that's exactly how I feel :( I'm planning on getting a second look at TCOM soon to see if I can see myself there for the next four years. Just out of curiosity, if you hear back from A&M, would rank it above TCOM?

If you're willing to take time off to redo your app, you're free to do so. If I was in your shoes, I think TCOM would be a great choice.

For your reapplication, I would also check your app also and not worry about the MCAT being the factor as to why you didn't get in. You were just below the average. If that is that is the case, I was also below it and I find I did well. Many of the med schools are mission based. Make sure you app speaks to them. Do you have parts in your app that would have lacked and made you not as an attractive candidate as another? How early did you apply? There are many factors that go into the Texas MD app process. Like I said, if you want to go through the whole process, you're free to do so. I really liked TCOM when I interviewed and I don't think it will impact you megatively getting into the residency you want.

Thanks for the response! Will you be attending TCOM? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa is great and your mcat is low, meaning
That if you retake the mcat you can probably get a better score. I would say dedicate your time on studying for the mcat and apply early and you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's what I was thinking but not sure if it's worth handicapping myself as a reapplicant who has declined a previous acceptance and going against people with the same stats who are applying for the first time :(

That's what I was thinking but not sure if it's worth handicapping myself as a reapplicant who has declined a previous acceptance and going against people with the same stats who are applying for the first time :(

There is no right or wrong answer, it's all comes down to how much you want to be an MD vs DO

You might only get into a lower ranking med school but all US med schools are great. Or you can get into a higher ranked DO school. Ofc that's all speculation but a good way to see things imo

Assuming that low mcat and late applying is what held you back, in the interview, you can show how you have comeback as a person who fixed his wrongs

Reactions: 1 user
There is no right or wrong answer, it's all comes down to how much you want to be an MD vs DO

You might only get into a lower ranking med school but all US med schools are great. Or you can get into a higher ranked DO school. Ofc that's all speculation but a good way to see things imo

TCOM is one of the top 3 DO schools in the US, not sure if it can get better than that. I do really believe that I can improve my MCAT score though.

Last edited:
You might only get into a lower ranking med school but all US med schools are great. Or you can get into a higher ranked DO school

He is a Texas resident and Texas residents have an extremely hard time getting accepted outside of Texas unless they are rockstars. Also TCOM is one of the top DO schools so if he does end up getting accepted again it will most likely be to a worse DO program. Your advice doesn't accurately reflect the extreme risk in reapplying, even with an improved MCAT.

He is a Texas resident and Texas residents have an extremely hard time getting accepted outside of Texas unless they are rockstars. Also TCOM is one of the top DO schools so if he does end up getting accepted again it will most likely be to a worse DO program. Your advice doesn't accurately reflect the extreme risk in reapplying, even with an improved MCAT.

The poster you're quoting is 19 and a freshman, probably why.

Reactions: 5 users
Why did you apply DO?

You didn't get into this situation of having a DO acceptance just by accident. You only got into this situation because you sought it out. You applied DO with the intent that it would be a safe back up if you couldn't get into an MD school this cycle. Guess what? You are here. Your safety kicked in. Now you don't want it.

You aren't being rational about any of this. You should be thanking your lucky stars that you got a shot, not trying to convince yourself that you are secretly better than your application would suggest and that becoming a DO is in any way "the short end of the stick."

I get it. I retook the MCAT because I knew I could do better, and I brought my score up 5 points. But that is just one metric and it doesn't say everything about who you are as a student. You shouldn't have applied until you knew you had a good score. You did, and you got very lucky. If you make the most of that shot, you can do anything you want with it. If you treat it like you have thus far, then I can see why you think you need the extra little bit of cachet an MD might provide... because if this represents your approach to your career, you need every last advantage you can get.

Reactions: 18 users
How does this thread have so many views in 1 day?

Must be a common question :whistle:

Only apply if you intend to matriculate...otherwise, what's the point?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, your MCAT is terrible dude, the liklihood of you improving that significantly is probably lower than you matching into a good residency from TCOM. However, frankly, there's nothing in your story to indicate you would do either of these things. I'm sorry to be so harsh but the numbers are what they are and the odds are stacked against you regardless of your decision.

If you know you are dead-set on a competitive specialty or just need to have a shot at a super prestigious residency
AND you think you can do better next cycle
AND willing to fix your application
AND you think you can be in the top of your MD class,
then yes, you should turn it down and reapply for MD.

However if you are fine with EM/Anesthesia/Gen Surg/IM/Family, OB/GYN, etc, etc (really everything except derm, optho, Rad onc, and Surg subspecialties) then you should take the DO seat and save yourself a year of reapplying and 250k+ of lost income. Also TCOM is pretty good for DO, from what I've heard.

tldr: Take DO unless you know you want a competitive specialty and think you have the ability to dominate at an MD school.
As a general statement the above is a bit overblown. I'm at a prestigious place in a prestigious specialty and I was probably bottom third of my school.

My wife's OB is a non-trad TCOM graduate and 3 months ago I was in the operating room while she did a C-section to take my last child. I'm a skeptical person by nature and I promise you I can afford any doctor in the metroplex to do the surgery but I felt completely comfortable with a D.O. who spent the first half of her life as an architect taking care of my wife and son.
No offense to anyone but frankly *I* could do an uncomplicated C-section (in the same way I'm sure any random OB resident can do an uncomplicated carpal tunnel release). I know that wasn't the gist of your post but I felt like preening my e-peen. Thank you.

I know this topic has been discussed on here previously but I would like to see what options I have given my specific situation. I applied to all of the Texas schools for the 2017-2018 application cycle in late July. I only received one interview and was pre-matched at UNTHSC-TCOM. I have a 3.81 GPA (3.75 BCPM) and made a 505 (28/29 old) on my MCAT (for which I foolishly studied for only one month). I have numerous medical and non medical extra-curricular activities. I believe submitting my app late and my MCAT score was the problem this cycle. Although I liked the atmosphere at TCOM, it is in a convenient location for me, and the tuition is affordable as I am a Texas resident, I am so disappointed that this application cycle was so unsuccessful. I'm afraid going DO will potentially limit my options for certain specialties (I am currently undecided) and I will have to give up my interest in academic medicine and research. I have been debating whether or not to decline my acceptance and reapply earlier after retaking my MCAT. Thoughts?

What was your MCAT score breakdown? Depending on which were your low subsections you could probably easily raise your MCAT to 509-510+ (MD matriculant average), especially if you can just focus on studying for the MCAT for 3 months. If CARS was your lowest score its going to be harder, but a low B/B or P/S score can easily be raised to the 127-128 range with some focused practice.

OP, your MCAT is terrible dude, the liklihood of you improving that significantly is probably lower than you matching into a good residency from TCOM. However, frankly, there's nothing in your story to indicate you would do either of these things. I'm sorry to be so harsh but the numbers are what they are and the odds are stacked against you regardless of your decision.

As a general statement the above is a bit overblown. I'm at a prestigious place in a prestigious specialty and I was probably bottom third of my school.

No offense to anyone but frankly *I* could do an uncomplicated C-section (in the same way I'm sure any random OB resident can do an uncomplicated carpal tunnel release). I know that wasn't the gist of your post but I felt like preening my e-peen. Thank you.

My mcat score was a slightly lower than the average for matriculants the previous year. I said myself that it needs improvement...

What was your MCAT score breakdown? Depending on which were your low subsections you could probably easily raise your MCAT to 509-510+ (MD matriculant average), especially if you can just focus on studying for the MCAT for 3 months. If CARS was your lowest score its going to be harder, but a low B/B or P/S score can easily be raised to the 127-128 range with some focused practice.

126 B/B 126 C/P 125 CARS and 129 psych...yeah the disproportionally high psych score is definitely a problem. I was shocked to see my CARS score usually it's my highest section. I was scoring a 508/509 on practice tests so I decided to go ahead and take the real thing

So just to recap, OP made the mistake of applying this cycle and had the unfortunate accident of getting into medical school. They are now asking if they should decline a medical school acceptance in the best state/cheapest to reapply again. Do you not want to attend medical school in TX? Cause that's how you end up not going to school in TX. Use that fake chip on your shoulder to work hard and match into your competitive specialty that you are probably going to be super qualified for cause everyone that gets into TCOM is just so unqualified.

Reactions: 7 users
No offense to anyone but frankly *I* could do an uncomplicated C-section (in the same way I'm sure any random OB resident can do an uncomplicated carpal tunnel release). I know that wasn't the gist of your post but I felt like preening my e-peen. Thank you.[/QUOTE said:
You missed the point entirely. My point was we could have chosen any doctor yet I had no doubts about a D.O. doing it. Uncomplicated or not, I wanted the best care for my family and I have the financial resources to procure that care pretty much anywhere I wanted. And while I'm not a doctor, I can note from years of personal experience as a combat medic that "routine" can go south of sideways in a hurry.

You missed the point entirely
Simmer down champ, I already said that.

Oh look! They sent out an email on their residency match list. (https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-college-of-osteopathic-medicine/tcom-career-development/). They have lots of MD residency spots that they get in TX... looks like those students are having a hard time getting into MD program *sarcasm* I saw go TCOM and avoid the hassle of reapplying!
Not gonna lie this match list is... not reassuring

I believe the OP was concerned with academic medicine, not per se MD spots
I think OP is concerned that they have wasted their efforts and "talents" by choosing TCOM. I guess they think that the MCAT is the only reason they didn't get love from any other TX school. I guess they can enjoy their consolation prize of medical school. This begs the question are you going to medical school to help people or to tell people that your a doctor (which would make you the absolute coolest! People will be soooo impressed by you that they will literally worship the ground you walk on!)?

I think OP is concerned that they have wasted their efforts and "talents" by choosing TCOM. I guess they think that the MCAT is the only reason they didn't get love from any other TX school. I guess they can enjoy their consolation prize of medical school. This begs the question are you going to medical school to help people or to tell people that your a doctor (which would make you the absolute coolest! People will be soooo impressed by you that they will literally worship the ground you walk on!)?
the leaps and jumps here are impressive

the leaps and jumps here are impressive
Yes you're right. Reread OP. I'm coming off a little strong. Going DO doesn't preclude you from having an academic career. It's just sucks to see some one describe their cycle as unsuccessful when they get in.

OP lost me when he said he didn't want "the short end of the stick". With that attitude who knows what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
So just to recap, OP made the mistake of applying this cycle and had the unfortunate accident of getting into medical school. They are now asking if they should decline a medical school acceptance in the best state/cheapest to reapply again. Do you not want to attend medical school in TX? Cause that's how you end up not going to school in TX. Use that fake chip on your shoulder to work hard and match into your competitive specialty that you are probably going to be super qualified for cause everyone that gets into TCOM is just so unqualified.
OP lost me when he said he didn't want "the short end of the stick". With that attitude who knows what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This is the last time I'm going to comment on this thread because it's getting out of control. Ive gotten a lot of mixed opinions on DO school from both DOs that I've shadowed telling me to go MD to people on SDN saying that certain programs will prefer MD candidates for competitive residencies over DOs and that DOs are intentionally kept out of academic medicine at large university hospitals. While it is true hard work can get you anywhere, these stories have made me extremely anxious about my future. Thank you to all the people that genuinely weighed in on the discussion in a helpful way rather than attacking my character.

126 B/B 126 C/P 125 CARS and 129 psych...yeah the disproportionally high psych score is definitely a problem. I was shocked to see my CARS score usually it's my highest section. I was scoring a 508/509 on practice tests so I decided to go ahead and take the real thing

Still you could easily retake this and go up to a solid 511 128/128/126/129... especially since you said you were taking too many units at once, research, etc. Just take a bunch of practice tests this time. The study resources are also probably better now than they were in 2015 or 2016.

Ive gotten a lot of mixed opinions on DO school from both DOs that I've shadowed telling me to go MD

Absolutely, if you have an acceptance to both in hand. The fact is that you don't, and you have an MCAT slightly below that of a 28. There is a very significant likelihood that you retake the MCAT, maybe increase to a 507 or so (or heaven forbid do worse). On top of all of that the other Texas schools will see that you turned down an offer to a state school, potentially seriously harming your application.

In this scenario you will be left with NO acceptances except possibly some out of state DO programs. You will effectively be screwed, and you won't even get the chance to pursue academic medicine or any specialties. Unless you think you will somehow get a 520 on your retake we are trying to tell you that the risk is substantial and not worth it.

Reactions: 4 users
In this scenario - I'd go DO all the way. No question.

If you feel like you can't succeed as a DO. Then don't do it. Understand, however, that you risk never becoming a doctor. Sure, it is possible to blow a retaken MCAT out of the park and somehow make it, you just have a lot stacked against you.

That said, I read a thread on here once of an MD hopeful that went DO and absolutely hated it. He/she hated every minute of the Osteo class and thought it was all BS. Ironic, considering how I'm in an MD school yet want to learn the osteopathic manipulations. I tried to sign up for an osteopath elective but got turned down :'( no wizard table for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Savage Goro. Opie, you realize you are screwwwwwwwwed if you end up not improving significantly, and end up applying DO again? I'm not 100% sure but I think they can see you atleast matriculated in the past.

I can only imagine at that impending 3rd app cycle DO interview. "Why didn't you want to go to TCOM? ""Urrrrrr, I didn't think I wanted to be a DO urrrrrrr"

Besides opie, I'm going to MSUCOM and I'm gonna be an orthopaedic neurologist. We're all gonna make it.

Yes you're right. Reread OP. I'm coming off a little strong. Going DO doesn't preclude you from having an academic career. It's just sucks to see some one describe their cycle as unsuccessful when they get in.
We should probably allow for a wider gradient in defining "success," even if the original expectation wasn't particularly well-grounded in reality

Reactions: 1 users
OP, not to be a jerk here, but why the hell would you apply to a school you don't want to attend? If you don't want to go to a DO school that's fine, but don't apply, get accepted, and be in your predicament. Also, what's worse here is you took an interview from some kid who desperately needed that spot.

Don't take the acceptance just because its there. Its very tempting, but if your heart isn't set on a school for any logical reason, don't pursue it, end of story.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the response! Yes that's exactly how I feel :( I'm planning on getting a second look at TCOM soon to see if I can see myself there for the next four years. Just out of curiosity, if you hear back from A&M, would rank it above TCOM?

Currently, I have A&M ranked higher than TCOM, so if I do get in I would go there instead

OP, you do realize that DOs are doctors, right? You've been talking like you'd go for four years to learn how to play a xylophone.

I think it's a little bold to claim that you're going to reinvent the wheel this year on that MCAT and that will suddenly make you competitive.

If you want to be an academic, you could still do research as a DO. Heck, there's a lot of DO schools, you could possibly be faculty in a school.

But first, you've got to get over yourself. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face!

When you were a little kid, or whenever you decided to be a doctor, I highly doubt that you were fixated on MD vs DO. (Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but OB is considered primary care, and so there should be a lot of residencies to pick from as a DO.)

Don't be your own anchor, OP. Don't let your pride piss on your dream.

If you want to be a doctor, TCOM will make it happen. If you want to be an MD from a high-end program, then you've got to earn it. And just retaking the MCAT isn't going to mean squat. Particularly since you'd be a reapplicant when you had a medical school seat already.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to chime in since you were afraid that you might be precluded from an academic career if you get a DO. While applying this cycle I was trying to look for DOs to shadow because I was interested in it. While searching for DOs I found many of them holding academic positions at very reputable universities. The director of one of the residency programs at USC's Keck School of Medicine is a DO. You've probably just never noticed that DOs were there all along, but if you looked you might find yourself surprised (like I was) because there are quite a few in academia. Of course you'll see fewer DOs in the halls of your universities, but I think that's just because there are fewer DO graduates compared to MDs.

Academia is extremely competitive, you're going to have to make so many sacrifices and be the best of the best, whether or not you have an MD or a DO. But at the end of the day, you have to choose the option that you are most passionate about.

And congrats on the acceptance, you have the opportunity to become a doctor! You should be super happy! After this cycle, I've learned that studying medicine is a privilege and not a right. Although I've worked hard to get to where I am now, I've met plenty of smart and hardworking people that could have taken my seat in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users