DO schools MCAT and GPA scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor or bust

asdf
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this link on reddit which lists the matriculant MCAT and GPAs of most of the DO schools. I haven't been able to find anything similar to this on this site and figured that other people may be interested in this data. I did not create this and all rights and thanks go to the publisher.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
PCOM-GA is a 500? If that's true, I expected it to be a little higher. I'm kind of glad though, because that's my top choice haha.

I went to an open house there last fall and they said the average was 500, so I can confirm that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same! Good luck! I'm not applying until next cycle. Applying to all the Georgia schools (minus Emory #NoHope haha)

I'm actually not applying to any GA schools this cycle, but Emory is a definite no lol

The averages are a lot lower for some schools then I would expect

Interesting. I'd like to go to some of the schools websites to double check on this.

One caveat is that most schools will have a mix of scores for both the old and new MCAT; I know mine does. This might change some of the avg's. So for example, AZCOM's should be somewhat higher, as should CCOM's. I'm also surprised that Touro-NY wasn't on there...they've had among the top three scores in the country...duking it out with Touro-CA and CCOM. For now it seems that Touro-CA has the bragging rights.

EDIT: I just looked again at the spreadsheet...3.57+ 510 for TU-CA!?! That's almost MD median..LizzyM of 67. I just hear their dean crowing about this at the next AOA meeting. And I can also just hear my own dean grinding his teeth in aggravation when the former does so. My dean is also a fan of high MCATs.

I just found this link on reddit which lists the matriculant MCAT and GPAs of most of the DO schools. I haven't been able to find anything similar to this on this site and figured that other people may be interested in this data. I did not create this and all rights and thanks go to the publisher.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. I'd like to go to some of the schools websites to double check on this.

One caveat is that most schools will have a mix of scores for both the old and new MCAT; I know mine does. This might change some of the avg's. So for example, AZCOM's should be somewhat higher, as should CCOM's. I'm also surprised that Touro-NY wasn't on there...they've had among the top three scores in the country...duking it out with Touro-CA and CCOM. For now it seems that Touro-CA has the bragging rights.

EDIT: I just looked again at the spreadsheet...3.57+ 510 for TU-CA!?! That's almost MD median..LizzyM of 67. I just hear their dean crowing about this at the next AOA meeting. And I can also just hear my own dean grinding his teeth in aggravation when the former does so. My dean is also a fan of high MCATs.

Do you think with the removal of grade replacement starting this cycle that averages for matriculated GPA / MCAT will decrease for DO?

Is it purely location that attracts the high MCATS to Touros? I haven't heard a lot of positives and the NY campus photo alone made me hesitate on the whole system lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you think with the removal of grade replacement starting this cycle that averages for matriculated GPA / MCAT will decrease for DO?
It probably will lower things for about a year or two, and some schools more than others. My wily old Admissions dean doesn't think it will affect our school. I think what will also hurt will be if the downturn in apps that occurred nationwide last year to DO schools continues. I don't know if the same downturn hit MD schools.

Is it purely location that attracts the high MCATS to Touros? I haven't heard a lot of positives and the NY campus photo alone made me hesitate on the whole system lol

I believe that it's a CA applicant thing. My own school is doing well on the numbers list, in part because we get a fair number of students from CA. I am talking MD-caliber stats. These are people who want to stay closer to home, and are happy to get a DO from us than trek out to Albany, Wake, or Drexel for the MD. Many of these kids are from the UC system, and are thus outstanding students (if not rather thin-skinned, especially those from Frisco). So TUCOM-CA has their pick of these kids.

It probably will lower things for about a year or two, and some schools more than others. My wily old Admissions dean doesn't think it will affect our school. I think what will also hurt will be if the downturn in apps that occurred nationwide last year to DO schools continues. I don't know if the same downturn hit MD schools.

Do you think the low number of D.O. apps last year was simply an outlier, or is there actually a downward trend in D.O. apps over the years? I don't know if schools are just saying this to say this, but a few D.O. schools are behind schedule on sending out II's due to a "large number of applicants" this year...

Do you think the low number of D.O. apps last year was simply an outlier, or is there actually a downward trend in D.O. apps over the years? I don't know if schools are just saying this to say this, but a few D.O. schools are behind schedule on sending out II's due to a "large number of applicants" this year...
It was the first decline after a long stretch of increasing apps. For my school, maybe people self-selected out after looking at our stats. I son't know if CCOM and Touro-CA had the same issues. I was just told by the wily old admissions dean that apps were down, especially for us.

I have yet to ask our Dean if the trend has reversed this cycle. I think he's on vacation anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
If you look at the 2016 AACOMAS matriculation and applicant data, the postbacc GPA only raised the total GPA up 0.02 points. I imagine that a good amount of postbac credits are retakes so to me, it says that there are not many students that are doing retakes in their postbac. It might have an effect if there are a significant amount of students that used grade replacement during their undergrad though.

At the UNECOM interview I was told the avg GPA was about 3.60 and 29 on the old MCAT.

TCOM is 506 and 29 on old scale. Just checked the stats keep creeping up over time.