DO schools that do not require a LOR from DO/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it late (as of 11/08/18) to apply to more osteopathic schools this cycle?

• Total voters

farmmd

Mother of Dragons
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to create a comprehensive and updated list on osteopathic schools that do not require a LOR specifically from a DO/MD. When I was applying, I had to go through each schools websites and find out myself. So here is the list I have so far for this application cycle (2018-2019):
  • LECOM
  • ROWAN
  • UNECOM
  • PCOM
  • TCOM
  • OU-HCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • MSUCOM
  • UIW*
*Three letters of recommendation: One from a physician (preferably DO), one from a premed advisor or health professions admissions committee (HPAC), and one from a science faculty member. Non-traditional students can substitute one faculty or HPAC letter with a more recent reference (employer, volunteer/community service supervisor, etc.).

If anyone can add to this list with accuracy, go ahead and do so.

Sincerely,
Another pre-med trying to save someone else the struggle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, it looks bad not to have at least one letter. It would give me pause if I saw that in an application. I'd wonder how the applicant knows he wants to be a doctor if he had no experience, or I'd robber if the applicant has personality issues that made no physician willing to write him a letter

Honestly, it looks bad not to have at least one letter. It would give me pause if I saw that in an application. I'd wonder how the applicant knows he wants to be a doctor if he had no experience, or I'd robber if the applicant has personality issues that made no physician willing to write him a letter

I can see why this would be concerning. As for myself, I have shadowed physicians, nurses and PAs just not long enough to ask for a letter. Some of them seem so busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see why this would be concerning. As for myself, I have shadowed physicians, nurses and PAs just not long enough to ask for a letter. Some of them seem so busy.
I would say that I don´t think there is a specific length of time you need to shadow to ask for a letter. Granted, the more you get to know the physician most likely will produce a higher quality letter; but you can only do what you can do. With one of my letters, I had only shadowed him for a day and was very bashful about asking for a letter. He told me not to worry about it and that he expects to be asked for letters of recommendation. I know this is anecdotal, but hopefully it helps. I think a lot of physicians are used to writing letters for people they don't know very well.

Sorry for the tangent, I know this is of no help when it comes to your original question. Good luck to you!

I would say that I don´t think there is a specific length of time you need to shadow to ask for a letter. Granted, the more you get to know the physician most likely will produce a higher quality letter; but you can only do what you can do. With one of my letters, I had only shadowed him for a day and was very bashful about asking for a letter. He told me not to worry about it and that he expects to be asked for letters of recommendation. I know this is anecdotal, but hopefully it helps. I think a lot of physicians are used to writing letters for people they don't know very well.

Sorry for the tangent, I know this is of no help when it comes to your original question. Good luck to you!

Thank you, I will keep this in mind!

I would ask. I'm sure you've shadowed and your personality is fine, but I can tell you that you need to do your mitigate any possible objection to your application.

Oh, hey! I actually have this information on hand from when I thought I wouldn't be able to get a letter.
The following are all schools, their letter requirements and their GPA minimums. There's a couple that don't need physician LORs but do bear in mind every school explicitly recommends having a physician LOR with the majority either requiring or strongly preferring a DO LOR.

Info - Zoho Sheet

These are all DO schools that use AACOMAS for the 2018-2019 cycle. It does not include information on TX schools.

I also have a couple more for IS/OOS and average GPA MCAT and misc requirements (like ATSU-SOMAs 20+ hours of shadowing they only tell you about after you submit a primary) if anyone wants a copy of it.

Last edited:
Oh, hey! I actually have this information on hand from when I thought I wouldn't be able to get a letter.
The following are all schools, their letter requirements and their GPA minimums. There's a couple that don't need physician LORs but do bear in mind every school explicitly recommends having a physician LOR with the majority either requiring or strongly preferring a DO LOR.

These are all DO schools that use AACOMAS for the 2018-2019 cycle. It does not include information on TX schools.

I also have a couple more for IS/OOS and average GPA MCAT and misc requirements (like ATSU-SOMAs 20+ hours of shadowing they only tell you about after you submit a primary) if anyone wants a copy of it.

Thank you for sharing! but when I click on the file it doesn't load. Am I suppose to open it with a certain browser or application?

Hello,

I wanted to create a comprehensive and updated list on osteopathic schools that do not require a LOR specifically from a DO/MD. When I was applying, I had to go through each schools websites and find out myself. So here is the list I have so far for this application cycle (2018-2019):
  • LECOM
  • ROWAN
  • UNECOM
  • PCOM
  • TCOM
  • OU-HCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • MSUCOM

Sincerely,

ACOM
MUCOM
KCUMB

Reactions: 1 users
ACOM
MUCOM
KCUMB

Thanks for the input, but I just checked their websites and they all require a letter from a physician for applying this year.

I guess Zoho doesn't retain spreadsheets very long.

I've attached a copy.
Here's a picture:

K0q1NL0.png

bJrlVKh

Attachments

• LOR and Minimums Info.xlsx
    10.7 KB · Views: 132
Thanks for the input, but I just checked their websites and they all require a letter from a physician for applying this year.

Completely misread what you said (no wonder why I'm awful at CARS). I meant to say that those schools do NOT require an MD letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly OP, not having a letter from any physician is extremely restricting what schools you can apply to. I would put some time into getting one.

I got into GA-PCOM and was offered a full-tuition scholarship to go there with just 3 letters from undergrad professors last cycle, so I take it my lack of a physician letter didn't give anyone too much pause.

I got into GA-PCOM and was offered a full-tuition scholarship to go there with just 3 letters from undergrad professors last cycle, so I take it my lack of a physician letter didn't give anyone too much pause.

What was your GPA/MCAT?

They dont require one though.

3.9+ GPA. 509 MCAT

Yes, I know. Was just saying because some posts in this thread suggested not having one regardless of actual requirements can make you look bad (which I'm sure it can at certain schools!)
It can. You're just better off to not limit your options by having at least an MD letter

3.9+ GPA. 509 MCAT

Yes, I know. Was just saying because some posts in this thread suggested not having one regardless of actual requirements can make you look bad (which I'm sure it can at certain schools!)

I had pretty good stats at a roughly equal type of stats school and didn't get anywhere near that size of a scholarship. Glad you got a lucky one!

I had pretty good stats at a roughly equal type of stats school and didn't get anywhere near that size of a scholarship. Glad you got a lucky one!
It wound up being ironically unlucky because I ultimately decided not to attend there, so I just lost $1750 on my deposit in the end. But yes, it was very unexpected. :)

It wound up being ironically unlucky because I ultimately decided not to attend there, so I just lost $1750 on my deposit in the end. But yes, it was very unexpected. :)

How did you end up applying for this scholarship if you don't mind me asking? I wasn't aware that DO schools did full ride scholarships

Hello,

• LECOM
  • ROWAN
  • UNECOM
  • PCOM
  • TCOM
  • OU-HCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • MSUCOM

Sincerely,

OP- add UIW there. I got an offer there before my MD LOR arrived.

hope it helps!