DO stigma in South Asian families?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Grandfathered into being an NP with just a masters degree. As I understand it, they are switching over to doctorate level stuff, but a lot of people with just masters degrees are able to get past that requirement.
O, I got ya. Everyone's gotta have a doctorate in healthcare nowadays, amirite?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Grandfathered into being an NP with just a masters degree. As I understand it, they are switching over to doctorate level stuff, but a lot of people with just masters degrees are able to get past that requirement.
That's fine. Master's degrees are what midlevels should have (PAs have, and will likely always have, a Master's degree).

What's crazy is that NPs used to be certificates that you got after your RN, so there's some of the truly grandfathered NPs that are RNs with Associate's degrees or nursing certificates that have NP certificates that were handed out decades ago when all you needed to be an NP was a few months of extra pharmacology and some nursing diagnosis courses, because NPs didn't have much of a scope back in the day, so the designation wasn't all that tightly regulated. Via the grandfathering process, these same NPs now have basically unlimited scope despite largely having only on-the-job training with very little foundation in the sciences.

That's fine. Master's degrees are what midlevels should have (PAs have, and will likely always have, a Master's degree).

What's crazy is that NPs used to be certificates that you got after your RN, so there's some of the truly grandfathered NPs that are RNs with Associate's degrees or nursing certificates that have NP certificates that were handed out decades ago when all you needed to be an NP was a few months of extra pharmacology and some nursing diagnosis courses, because NPs didn't have much of a scope back in the day, so the designation wasn't all that tightly regulated. Via the grandfathering process, these same NPs now have basically unlimited scope despite largely having only on-the-job training with very little foundation in the sciences.
So? In the absence of any clear evidence that more schooling improves midlevel outcomes, midlevels should only be required to train to the minimum level that allows them to perform their duties.

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent read through the entire thread so maybe someone already mentioned it, but most south asians don't care where u went to md school as long as you get the title dr its good enough for them to brag lol

yes i am south indian so i am allowed to say it

I am a south indian who was afraid his family would frown upon him going DO, but was surprised when his uncle (MD neurologist) and parents completely supported the idea.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, south asians need to learn to become independent. I am southasian and I can tell you that my parents are also very traditional. However, I have not depended on my parents since I went to college. I knew someone who asked his parents about the laptop and cellphone he was gonna buy. If you let your parents tell you what to do, then they will treat you that way.

Secondly, communication is key. I feel like south asians tend to see parents as "father =BOSS" "mother=miniBOSS/reports everything to BOSS" and this changes the relationship from supportive to authoritative. For some weird reason ever since I went to college I have become more friendly with my parents and it may be due to being independent. My parents guide me and ofcourse ask me "Why are you going DO? Why not wait another year and apply MD? Did you think about Caribbean?" but they never force me to listen to them because they understand that I probably know more about USA education than them (we immigrated many years ago). They listen to me and I listen to them and we share mutual respect for each other. I have explained what a DO is, and I asked my DO(PCP) talk to my parents about it. Now they have no problem with me doing what I want. The only nagging I get now is when I am going to marry (and my parents are ready to look for girls), but that story can be saved for another time.

Usually the people that talk most are the ones that have never done anything in their lives. I remember one time the wife of my previous landlord was trying to act like her nephew was smarter than me because he did a science degree (I majored in social sciences). I proceeded to say, "oh, that's pretty cool. What did you major in? What college did you go to?" and of course, she hadn't done any college. She stopped talking after that.

Usually the people that talk most are the ones that have never done anything in their lives. I remember one time the wife of my previous landlord was trying to act like her nephew was smarter than me because he did a science degree (I majored in social sciences). I proceeded to say, "oh, that's pretty cool. What did you major in? What college did you go to?" and of course, she hadn't done any college. She stopped talking after that.
Speaking the truth here. 100%

was this targeted at me? Not sure what I did to you this morning.

Usually the people that talk most are the ones that have never done anything in their lives.

For example, having over 2500 posts and adding "DO" to your handle after one semester of med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're worried about initials, and can't get into US MD programs...

Just go carib man. Ross and Saint George are excellent schools! good luck champ!

If you're worried about initials, and can't get into US MD programs...

Just go carib man. Ross and Saint George are excellent schools! good luck champ!

What a bad advice

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, south asians need to learn to become independent. I am southasian and I can tell you that my parents are also very traditional. However, I have not depended on my parents since I went to college. I knew someone who asked his parents about the laptop and cellphone he was gonna buy. If you let your parents tell you what to do, then they will treat you that way.

Secondly, communication is key. I feel like south asians tend to see parents as "father =BOSS" "mother=miniBOSS/reports everything to BOSS" and this changes the relationship from supportive to authoritative. For some weird reason ever since I went to college I have become more friendly with my parents and it may be due to being independent. My parents guide me and ofcourse ask me "Why are you going DO? Why not wait another year and apply MD? Did you think about Caribbean?" but they never force me to listen to them because they understand that I probably know more about USA education than them (we immigrated many years ago). They listen to me and I listen to them and we share mutual respect for each other. I have explained what a DO is, and I asked my DO(PCP) talk to my parents about it. Now they have no problem with me doing what I want. The only nagging I get now is when I am going to marry (and my parents are ready to look for girls), but that story can be saved for another time.

You read my mind.

I was just accepted last night to an osteopathic medical school (my first and top choice after a waitlist and rejection)... and you got my parents who instead of asking congratulations ask "why don't you get into that MD school that everyone else goes too..." If you have explained yourself to them once and told them why you want to go to that school then the next time just move on..because they will never understand. South Asians and asians overall have those habits of always seeing the negative in everything. Luckily, I got an uncle who spent enough time in the states that realizes how difficult it is to be a physician that he has been a major help in making my parents understand. Asian parents expect you to follow in the footsteps of those asians that came before them lol.

In the end my asian brothers and sisters its all about what makes you happy....

Just chiming in to second this, more or less. I'm also South Asian-American and I am on these boards as a seriously older nontrad. My parents have understood for the last twenty years or so that I am the one who makes big decisions for myself--what to study and do for a living, whether and whom to marry, when to have kids, etc. It's a cop-out to blame your Indian/South Asian parents for your own weakness. Stand up for yourself and what you believe in, and as long as your parents are decent people who actually love you, they'll come around.

I think at Ross the white coat ceremony is referred to as " the march of the Patels".

Is there special music for this? Something iconic, like the Imperial March, but not as solemn?

My boy @ChiTownBHawks knows what's up.

OP. GO CARIB! You can start classes this August ANNNDDDDD you get an MD!

Yea, I'm definitely not doing that. Aside from the horror stories I've heard, I know for a fact US DO >>>>>>>>>>>> IMG. Not offend anyone lol. I want to specialize, and I'm fairly certain that having attained a degree outside of the US will virtually limit chances of that happening.

My cousin is an IMG, scored a 240+ on his step 1's, and couldn't land interviews in anything but Fam. Med. Not that it is the sole factor, or that fam med is bad in any way (to each their own), but I don't want more doors shut to me before I even start school.

Yea, I'm definitely not doing that. Aside from the horror stories I've heard, I know for a fact US DO >>>>>>>>>>>> IMG. Not offend anyone lol. I want to specialize, and I'm fairly certain that having attained a degree outside of the US will virtually limit chances of that happening.

My cousin is an IMG, scored a 240+ on his step 1's, and couldn't land interviews in anything but Fam. Med. Not that it is the sole factor, or that fam med is bad in any way (to each their own), but I don't want more doors shut to me before I even start school.

Smart.

an adult should not have to worry about what someone thinks of him or her outside of the professional environment (your job rating and annual performance). if your family bothers you, tell them to stop or leave them. children have no choice, but to hear an adult complain about being judged is downright foolish and the fault of only that adult.

you have a choice.

you can't have it both ways. if this is a culture that is heavily judgemental, then you have to accept being judged and snubbed by those in your community based on the standards they set. if you don't like it, get a job that they approve of instead of what you like or can actually accomplish otherwise don't ask to have your cake and eat it too.

or you can just walk away. kinda like the millions of people who walked away already from their families and especially religion. a "community" is no different. besides, you can still be a part of it if you so desire. just change your company, not your community.

"never live your life for someone else or to impress someone." that is what every old person tells me. that is how i have always lived regardless since i was a teenager even without being told. yes i have been ostracized but that's fine. i have also excluded myself voluntarily from groups or societies simply because i have no interest in being part of a club. my own happiness comes first, period. that's period with a big P. a false life is equal to death. i have zero friends outside of a few girls i love who love me back and they accept what i like because, uh, they have to. and vice versa. that was made clear from the start. two girls are from south asian community while one is european. the culture does not matter as you can see. the personality does. maybe you can find members in the south asian community around you who see eye to eye like you and do not live with an infantile mindset.

a girl i met a while back from the south asian community told me you don't choose your family. uh, yeah, you actually do. this was a girl whose life revolved around making sure her peers and family members approved of her choices in life, from the clothing she wore, who she dated, to what job she ended up getting. it's as if she lived her entire life for the sake of others. if you don't think you can choose who to associate with and what values you cherish, you have not matured into adulthood. that's the teenage peer-pressure mindset that you (not you specifically but generally) have not grown out of.

as someone who does not know you or even if knew you, i'd congratulate you on continuing to work towards this honorable goal. it takes effort, time, patience, and discipline with study to achieve this. ditto if you were a security guard. people are trying to do the best they can in life. some people are just stupid, while most of us (like on this board) are average, and some are geniuses. you can't choose your genes or your family/socioeconomic background but you can choose your behavior which is to work honestly and do the right thing.

Last edited: