(DO student) IM/FM/Peds -- Should I take Step 2 with a mediocre Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamour_toad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year DO student considering IM, FM, or peds; COMLEX I 601, USMLE I 217

Honestly I have no idea if I should take USMLE II or not. My COMLEX "translates" to a much better USMLE score than what I got, so I figure if ACGME programs have taken DOs then I should only submit my COMLEX. If I submit my crappy USMLE I will they pretty much only pay attention to that? I feel like I've seen a lot of arguments to just take it, but I'm just hesitant to submit a 217.

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year DO student considering IM, FM, or peds; COMLEX I 601, USMLE I 217

Honestly I have no idea if I should take USMLE II or not. My COMLEX "translates" to a much better USMLE score than what I got, so I figure if ACGME programs have taken DOs then I should only submit my COMLEX. If I submit my crappy USMLE I will they pretty much only pay attention to that? I feel like I've seen a lot of arguments to just take it, but I'm just hesitant to submit a 217.

From what I understand, if you're applying ACGME, then you have to submit the USMLE. It's not ideal, but it will probably help you or be neutral in FM and Peds depending on the region, not sure about IM.

In your situation, I'd take Step 2 if I thought I could at least break 230. Ultimately its up to you. Did you take NBMEs before Step 1? Was the score a complete surprise or did you kind of expect it?