Do you think I can do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medgelace

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking The Princeton Review Ultimate 123 hours course right now (JUNE - AUGUST). I scheduled to take a practice exam every Monday. I haven't finish the review yet, in BIO/BIOCHEM, CARS, PHYSICS, PYS/SOC I am in the 5th classes. On CHEM in my 2nd class, and haven't taken any class of ORGANIC CHEM yet.

I already have taken 5 full length practice exams and this have been my MCAT scores:

1. 481 (MCAT Demo Test) Date: 06/26/2017
Scores: [CHEM/PHYS 120, CARS 119, BIO/BIOCHEM 121, PSY/SOC 121]

2. 483 (AAMC Practice Test 1) Date: 03/07/17

3. 483 (MCAT Review Test 1) Date 08/07/17
Scores: [CHEM/PHYS 122, CARS 120, BIO/BIOCHEM 120, PSY/SOC 121]

4. 486 (MCAT Course 1) Date: 10/07/17
Scores: [CHEM/PHYS 122, CARS 119, BIO/BIOCHEM 122, PSY/SOC 123]

5. 477 (MCAT Course 2) Date: 17/07/17
Scores: [CHEM/PHYS 121, CARS 119, BIO/BIOCHEM 119, PSY/SOC 118]

I just want to know if I have possibilities to pass the real exam with more than 500, 502 to be precise, that is my score goal. Is the first time that I am taking the MCAT. I want to know how I should study, what I am doing wrong. I fell I am getting frustrated. I feel I don't have enough time. Real MCAT test date: 1-Sept-17. I don't know what to do, how to be positive, how to believe that I can pass this. That last exam got me very frustrated, I don't know if I am taking too advanced tests in comparison with the class content or what, I don't understand.

I need feedback! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're rushing. You need to focus on more content review before practice tests right now. Instead of practice exams every Monday, work through practice passages (start with the AAMC practice passages) and more review. Restart your practice exams mid-August. 502 should be very attainable.

Can you do this? Yes. Will you? Thats up to you.

My $.02 off the information given...

No more practice tests, they aren't what you need right now. Content review should be finished before you play with those again. You have the TPR book set with the course, correct? If so, read through it. All of it. If you don't have their book set, get them or any other company's book set. Do the questions within the chapters, do the question sets at the end of the chapters. Take notes on everything you aren't certain of. By this point, you have an understanding as to what the MCAT tests which is certainly more conceptual than rote memorization. Your tests clearly say that you don't have a good grasp on these concepts. If you don't have all of the AAMC material, get it. It is the golden standard material. Utilize Khan Academy if you still don't get something after reading through it. Once you finish content review thoroughly, begin practice passages and do them in a similar environment to the testing center (i.e. a library where there may be some movements but nothing too crazy). I recommend EK 101 passage books for this type of practice, very difficult and experimental heavy. AAMC question sets, then EK 101, then AAMC section bank, then practice exams unless you want to throw some of those throughout practice problems.

This is my best advice to you, since your scores are even and low, it should certainly be manageable to get up above 500 since 120 to 125 is a lot easier than 125 to 130. At the end and right before your test take the other AAMC FL. If this isn't at least 501, don't take it. Push it off until later when you'll be ready. You've got your work cut out for you, but nothing is impossible. This test plays a big part in your future as to whether or not you'll be a doctor, study accordingly.

Yea I second the above advice. Don't be so worried about the practice exams right now! Finish all your content review. When you're done, take an OFFICIAL and GRADED AAMC FL. The TPR and all these other practice exam services are good for introducing content areas and for timing. They're not super indicative of the real thing, IMO. See how you do on the AAMC scored.

You CAN do this! The MCAT CAN be overcome. Attitude honestly is half the battle with this thing. I felt discouraged plenty of times also. Just keep your nose to the grind, and don't be afraid to switch up practice techniques when its called for (as it looks like it is called for now).