Does a high MCAT score "counteract" CC classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCoffeeOnly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been doing extensive research on the medical admissions process and reading a lot of posts on SDN. I definitely got 2 things:

1) For those who graduated with a low GPA in college and want to career change, you need go through a "reinvention", and
2) You should avoid prerequisites during the summer and at a CC.

I have been looking at what kind of education options are available in my area, and the classes are **quite** expensive. Trying to take everything at a 4-year is just not viable due to costs and sheer competitiveness of getting in (maybe 3-4 spots open up for a large # of nontrads to compete over). I would like to do about 25-30% of my post baccalaureate classes at a local, well-reputable CC (highest transfer rates to UCLA and UC Berkeley), and take General Biology 1+2, Anatomy, Zoology, Physiological Psychology, and Microbiology. I would then take Gen Chem 1+2, Orgo 1+2, Biochem 1+2, Physics 1+2, and 2-3 upper divisions over 2 years at a 4-year and night extension schools.

My question is, if I scored decently enough on the MCAT, would it matter I did 25-30% of my postbacc at a CC? My line of thinking is that a high enough MCAT score should counteract any questions/doubts over the rigor of CC classes, and therefore mastery of the material. Of course it's easier said than done to "score a high enough MCAT," but if the best scenario (high MCAT/cc classes) produces inadequate results, then I need to explore other options.

Am I correct in my line of thinking? Or are there things I'm not seeing? Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t matter if you take prereqs over the summer btw

I don't see any problem in that. In your plan, you are only taking a few courses at CC and most of the bulk at the 4 year. Do well on MCAT and there will be no question. I did most of my science stuff at CC but also showed that I could get A's at the 4year as well. Did well on the MCAT and received interviews. I think this is less important than a lot of things (for majority of schools, might not be as competitive in the highest tier schools), such as MCAT performance, intention, service, ECs, character.

I recall @gonnif had a post about certain schools not accepting/preferring CC but you would have to do a search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools don’t accept CC classes but I have no idea which ones. Since you haven’t taken the classes just get As in all of your post bacc classes. And a high MCAT doesn’t replace low grades. What are your current cGPA and sGPA?

The California system is a little bit of an exception to the rule. The pathway of CC --> transfer to UC is successful for a lot of people, and the California junior college and public college system in general is a lot better than most. In fact one of my nontrad friends at a "top 5" med school did exactly this, bunch of early classes at a California CC followed by finishing up at a four year (in his case, the local UC) and then killed the MCAT.

So your plan looks fine to me, especially with all your prereqs being at a 4-year.

Reactions: 1 user
That isnt quite accurate. Many adcoms still see summer courses as somehow less rigorous than the regular term. Taking more than 1 or 2 prereqs during the summer is ill-advised, especially at a CC

Interesting, would you say this actually has an impact on their decision though in the grand scheme of things?

Usually the summer prereq courses at my 4 year university are actually more rigorous than fall or spring because a bunch of premeds are taking only that class and studying a lot more for it which drives up the curve.

If your plan's the only way you can afford it, go for it; it'd look slightly better to do all your prereqs at a four-year school, but you're a nontrad and won't look like you've been dodging the hard classes. Do well in the prereqs, do well on the MCAT, and chances are very solid.

Interesting, would you say this actually has an impact on their decision though in the grand scheme of things?

Usually the summer prereq courses at my 4 year university are actually more rigorous than fall or spring because a bunch of premeds are taking only that class and studying a lot more for it which drives up the curve.

My experience was the same, but unfortunately many adcoms still view them as less rigorous. Possibly because it’s hard to pack the same level of detail into a third of the time.

My experience was the same, but unfortunately many adcoms still view them as less rigorous. Possibly because it’s hard to pack the same level of detail into a third of the time.

Summer classes at my university are actually only a week shorter than fall or spring classes, and they usually have class every day of the week vs 3 days a week during fall or spring. I’d actually say they sometimes cover more material because of this.

What was your undergrad GPA? What are your other ECs like? 4-year seems slightly better but if you put up a 4.0 and 520 MCAT nobody is going to ding you for postbacc community college classes. 3.7/515 or better can make you a decent MD candidate for reinvention.

A high MCAT counteracts basically everything except for IAs and no service.

There was a white kid at my state school who got accepted a few cycles back with a 3.38 GPA and 521 MCAT. His application was very meh if not for the MCAT. People seriously underestimate the power of the MCAT.