This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a freshman and looking to graduate early right now. I'll be class of 2019, though I was supposed to be 2020. So, I'm thinking if a post-bacc or a grad degree would be the best course of action? I don't want to apply to med school next year, so that's not an option.

I had some questions. What exactly is a post-bacc? Please be VERY specific and include ALL the details that may seem like common sense or whatever to you guys. Include EVERYTHING. Also, is a post-bacc only worth it for fixing the GPA? I mean, I'm a good student and I assume my GPA will surely be 3.8+. So, I'm hoping to do well. So, my plan was that I would graduate early and for the school year of 2019-2020, I would do Masters in medical sciences. It's not the same as a thesis masters, as it is also only one year. While I do this, I would apply to medical school. NOTE: I'm not just doing this to get into medical school. But don't you guys think that a masters would be better, IF med school doesn't work out for me? Wouldn't it be better for me to gain a better paying job with a Masters in MS in addition to my BS?? OR would you guys recommend, a post-bacc. I thought that was just to fix the GPA, which I hopefully won't need. So, any thoughts or suggestions? I've heard that a Masters won't look good for med school applications because it doesn't add to the undergrad GPA. A post-bacc does, but would it really help that much??

Please be as specific as possible. Include all the trivial information and everything. Also, I just finished my freshman year, so I'm technically a sophomore. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm a freshman and looking to graduate early right now. I'll be class of 2019, though I was supposed to be 2020. So, I'm thinking if a post-bacc or a grad degree would be the best course of action? I don't want to apply to med school next year, so that's not an option.

I had some questions. What exactly is a post-bacc? Please be VERY specific and include ALL the details that may seem like common sense or whatever to you guys. Include EVERYTHING. Also, is a post-bacc only worth it for fixing the GPA? I mean, I'm a good student and I assume my GPA will surely be 3.8+. So, I'm hoping to do well. So, my plan was that I would graduate early and for the school year of 2019-2020, I would do Masters in medical sciences. It's not the same as a thesis masters, as it is also only one year. While I do this, I would apply to medical school. NOTE: I'm not just doing this to get into medical school. But don't you guys think that a masters would be better, IF med school doesn't work out for me? Wouldn't it be better for me to gain a better paying job with a Masters in MS in addition to my BS?? OR would you guys recommend, a post-bacc. I thought that was just to fix the GPA, which I hopefully won't need. So, any thoughts or suggestions? I've heard that a Masters won't look good for med school applications because it doesn't add to the undergrad GPA. A post-bacc does, but would it really help that much??

Please be as specific as possible. Include all the trivial information and everything. Also, I just finished my freshman year, so I'm technically a sophomore. Thank you.
I'll leave the large post explaining your questions to someone else. I will say... post-bacc and masters are not meant for good students with a 3.8+ trying to get into medical school, whether you graduate early or not. If your goal is to become a doctor, a 3.8 and a bachelors will get you to medical school.
If your plan is to do a BS and MS in 4 years, why not just do the BS in 4 and enjoy it? Give yourself more time to get some quality ECs, which would pull more weight than a masters anyway.