This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian who is studying at an Egyptian (British-curriculum based) dental school, I am done Part 1 NBDE and has a good score. My school isn't very fair in their marking of exams and has caused many issues for my friends. I was wondering does my GPA in the BDS matter in the application for the Advanced Standing programs in the states? Does my BDS' GPA matter in the long run (i.e. specialty training and application)?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. It matters a lot, in both. You need to find a way to compensate for a low GPA, because local schools adcoms wouldn’t take it nicely, if you start saying anything about unfair grading practices.

Reactions: 1 user
great NBDE score, greatCBSE score, research and a lot of shadowing would do?

Members don't see this ad :)
great NBDE score, greatCBSE score, research and a lot of shadowing would do?
For IDP you would also need a lot of volunteering, decent amount of work experience in Egypt and USA, good TOEFL score, a lot of CE and extracurricular activities. All depends on how low the GPA is, maybe even some courses taken in the USA with high GPA
To specialize you would have to have high GPA in an American dental school

I volunteer in the ER department in a hospital in Canada. I shadow 2 dentists and 1 oral surgeon in Egypt and 1 in the states. I take a lot of CE. my GPA is 3.45 so I don't know how low is that to them. Any more recommendations please?

I volunteer in the ER department in a hospital in Canada. I shadow 2 dentists and 1 oral surgeon in Egypt and 1 in the states. I take a lot of CE. my GPA is 3.45 so I don't know how low is that to them. Any more recommendations please?
Oh, you should have said - it's not low, it's OK. It wouldn't be a problem at all
The real problem is that the competition is getting higher and higher
The most important for you as a Canadian is to find money to fund your education

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, you should have said - it's not low, it's OK. It wouldn't be a problem at all
The real problem is that the competition is getting higher and higher
The most important for you as a Canadian is to find money to fund your education
I am still looking into that. I am not in Canada now so when I go back in the summer I will ask the Canadian banks about this issue. Do u know what the best way to fund my dental education in the states as a canadian is?

I am still looking into that. I am not in Canada now so when I go back in the summer I will ask the Canadian banks about this issue. Do u know what the best way to fund my dental education in the states as a canadian is?
Canadian banks will loan you some, of course if you have high earning Canadian cosigner. US banks will loan you, if you have a high earning US citizen with a good credit score
Not easy, nothing guaranteed