This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BecomingDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking summer classes to catch up on all the courses I need to get done on time.
I have a shadowing/internship opportunity for a dentist in a city other than the one I am going to college at, and I was going to take these courses at a easier 4 year university, since my school is pretty rigorous and would kill me if I were to take them all at once there.

Summer Session 1: Organic Chemistry I, Ochem Lab, Physics I
Summer Session 2: Organic Chemistry II, Physics II, Physics Lab

Keep in mind that I'm taking it at a ridiculously easy extension school that still has a notable name since it's an extension of a pretty good school. But also keep in mind that I am possibly delusional and in denial that this schedule will probably cradle me to hell and set up camp for me there.

Pls help. If I don't take these classes I will very much so have to apply for next cycle instead of this one, and I'd v much prefer to apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking summer classes to catch up on all the courses I need to get done on time.
I have a shadowing/internship opportunity for a dentist in a city other than the one I am going to college at, and I was going to take these courses at a easier 4 year university, since my school is pretty rigorous and would kill me if I were to take them all at once there.

Keep in mind that I'm taking it at a ridiculously easy extension school that still has a notable name since it's an extension of a pretty good school. But also keep in mind that I am possibly delusional and in denial that this schedule will probably cradle me to hell and set up camp for me there.

Pls help. If I don't take these classes I will very much so have to apply for next cycle instead of this one, and I'd v much prefer to apply this cycle.

Its definitely not impossible, but its not going to be easy either since all the material will be crammed into a summer session.

The real question is: how bad do you want to apply this cycle?

You can definitely do it, its just a matter of discipline and staying on top of your game if you really want to apply this upcoming cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
If that is all you are doing this summer, it's possible to get it done, don't assume, however, that the classes will be easy...

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible but it won't be easy. I've heard that some schools prefer you take your pre reqs during the regular semesters though.

It is completely do-able if you know your limits and what you're capable of. You should devote a lot of time because Ochem is a pain in the ass, let alone physics. If you mess this up, chances are your GPA will come crashing down. It's entirely your choice though.

I wouldn't risk it. Theres too much room for messing up. These aren't just any classes that you are trying to mark off on your graduation to do list. These are THE classes. They are your pre-reqs. Its not just a matter of lowering your overall GPA, but especially your Science GPA. I don't know you or your capabilities, but the risk is too great. Not only that, but the question of the DATS comes up. When will you be studying for the DATS? YEs after a summer of Orgo, you'll be ready for it. But what about BIO and GEN CHEM + PAT? Those are all time consuming. A month, in my opinion, will not suffice. And if it is enough, you'll be taking your DATS end of Aug? maybe sometime in Sept? Lets assume you submit your Application right after, add on an additional 4-6 weeks for the processing of the application, before it actually gets MAILED OUT (yes, its done electronically now). Bringing you to Beginning of OCTOBER, before your schools actually have access to your COMPLETE application. From my experience, and Im a 2x applicant, you need to submit your app literally the week the application portal opens up. Then and only then will you have the best chance of interviewing at most of your schools (granted you have decent, yes decent-not necessarily fantastic- stats). In my opinion, do orgo and physics 1, this summer. orgo and physics 2 in fall. Spring, study your ass off on DATS and volunteer/shadow, if time allows for it. Submit your application as soon s it opens up. This way, you don't risk messing up on your grades, and you are giving yourself a real chance on doing well on DATs. But then again, I don't know you, your capabilities, or your life situation. What ever you decide, best of luck to you.

How many hours per day are you going to be in class/lab? Summer courses (with lab) at my school are 4 hrs per day, M through F. That's a lot of hours just sitting in class. On a side note, do you really only have to take a single orgo lab and a single physics lab?

You could also try this: work on your personal statement now, take Orgo I and II over the summer while simultaneously studying for the DAT, submit application in June, and then take the DAT in August. You can take Physics I and II during the fall and spring while waiting for/going on interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
it's possible to do it BUT it's hard to get A's so it will affect your GPA .if you have a high science GPA I would say go for it !

When are you going to study for your DATS?
I'm studying for it now! I was planning on taking it right before summer school started. Does that sound like a bad idea to you? To take the DAT without taking those classes? I've been studying my butt off going section by section on my DAT book, so I'm hoping I'll really be able to cover all of that by studying myself.

How many hours per day are you going to be in class/lab? Summer courses (with lab) at my school are 4 hrs per day, M through F. That's a lot of hours just sitting in class. On a side note, do you really only have to take a single orgo lab and a single physics lab?

You could also try this: work on your personal statement now, take Orgo I and II over the summer while simultaneously studying for the DAT, submit application in June, and then take the DAT in August. You can take Physics I and II during the fall and spring while waiting for/going on interviews.
That sounds like the dream, but I have a few friends who are feeding me the horror story of applying without finishing pre-reqs. They explained that it would be an almost guaranteed rejection from all schools if I were to miss a good chunk of my reqs (aka a whole year of physics and lab). And here in Texas labs are 2 hour credits each so they satisfy the 2 hour requirement! What you're telling me would seriously put my mind at ease if I knew that my friends were exaggerating and that others have done the same before.

I wouldn't risk it. Theres too much room for messing up. These aren't just any classes that you are trying to mark off on your graduation to do list. These are THE classes. They are your pre-reqs. Its not just a matter of lowering your overall GPA, but especially your Science GPA. I don't know you or your capabilities, but the risk is too great. Not only that, but the question of the DATS comes up. When will you be studying for the DATS? YEs after a summer of Orgo, you'll be ready for it. But what about BIO and GEN CHEM + PAT? Those are all time consuming. A month, in my opinion, will not suffice. And if it is enough, you'll be taking your DATS end of Aug? maybe sometime in Sept? Lets assume you submit your Application right after, add on an additional 4-6 weeks for the processing of the application, before it actually gets MAILED OUT (yes, its done electronically now). Bringing you to Beginning of OCTOBER, before your schools actually have access to your COMPLETE application. From my experience, and Im a 2x applicant, you need to submit your app literally the week the application portal opens up. Then and only then will you have the best chance of interviewing at most of your schools (granted you have decent, yes decent-not necessarily fantastic- stats). In my opinion, do orgo and physics 1, this summer. orgo and physics 2 in fall. Spring, study your ass off on DATS and volunteer/shadow, if time allows for it. Submit your application as soon s it opens up. This way, you don't risk messing up on your grades, and you are giving yourself a real chance on doing well on DATs. But then again, I don't know you, your capabilities, or your life situation. What ever you decide, best of luck to you.
I just saw this post. Honestly looking at the time cramp the best choice for me would probably be to apply next cycle, you're right. I just really wanted to apply this cycle to be on time with my own life schedule but sometimes things don't work out that way. I just created an account on SDN and I can promise you that you guys have given me better information/advice than my advisors ever have.

I just saw this post. Honestly looking at the time cramp the best choice for me would probably be to apply next cycle, you're right. I just really wanted to apply this cycle to be on time with my own life schedule but sometimes things don't work out that way. I just created an account on SDN and I can promise you that you guys have given me better information/advice than my advisors ever have.

I'm sorry but that's extremely sad, hopefully you can get an advisor who can help you out down the line.

I'm studying for it now! I was planning on taking it right before summer school started. Does that sound like a bad idea to you? To take the DAT without taking those classes? I've been studying my butt off going section by section on my DAT book, so I'm hoping I'll really be able to cover all of that by studying myself.

I would not take the DAT without having Orgo

Reactions: 1 users
What you're telling me would seriously put my mind at ease if I knew that my friends were exaggerating and that others have done the same before.
I have two acceptances in my pocket and an interview tomorrow, and I'll be starting Physics II next week. Just finished Physics I this past December. If those are your only missing prereqs, it is not an issue. At most, an interviewer may ask if you are on track to finish those prereqs before matriculating.

And here in Texas labs are 2 hour credits each so they satisfy the 2 hour requirement!
Is it a 2 hr requirement? For some reason I have it in my head that a lab is required for each science prereq. Perhaps the Texas schools are different.

I would not take the DAT without having Orgo
Has the DAT changed much since last year? If not, the organic chem is rudimentary. While I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend taking the exam without having taken the orgo courses, it's possible if you're determined to keep your timeline.

What are you using for DAT prep? The orgo in the Destroyer felt like "overkill" for my exam, but becoming able to answer those questions gave me the fluency to breeze through that section. Orgo fresh in your mind from school, plus a good prep book, should give you a fair shake.

Finally, I'll echo what others have said: no matter what you choose to do, you'll need to keep your grades up. Good luck.

I have two acceptances in my pocket and an interview tomorrow, and I'll be starting Physics II next week. Just finished Physics I this past December. If those are your only missing prereqs, it is not an issue. At most, an interviewer may ask if you are on track to finish those prereqs before matriculating.

Is it a 2 hr requirement? For some reason I have it in my head that a lab is required for each science prereq. Perhaps the Texas schools are different.

Has the DAT changed much since last year? If not, the organic chem is rudimentary. While I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend taking the exam without having taken the orgo courses, it's possible if you're determined to keep your timeline.

What are you using for DAT prep? The orgo in the Destroyer felt like "overkill" for my exam, but becoming able to answer those questions gave me the fluency to breeze through that section. Orgo fresh in your mind from school, plus a good prep book, should give you a fair shake.

Finally, I'll echo what others have said: no matter what you choose to do, you'll need to keep your grades up. Good luck.

Same, I have an acceptance and just started PHY 2. I had 3 classes missing when I applied: PHY 1,2, and Biochm.

Well this question all depends on what kind of student you are.

Do you excel at your science classes and enjoy chemistry and physics?

Are you willing to put a substantial amount of your summer time learning instead of relaxing?

Have you taken a course load before that was heavy in sciences and done well?

If you can answer yes to these questions then go for it but if your not strong in your chemistry and physics then I would wait and not take them together. Remember theses courses are important grades for your dental application and you will need to know orgo for the DAT so you will want to strive for a good grade in these classes and not take them lightly.

Why are you taking these at a super easy extension school? It looks bad if you take the hardest classes somewhere other than your main school just because it's easier.

I sympathize with the advisor issues. I also relate to your situation. I just finished the path you seem to be on, and I wonder if I made the right decision. Here's what I did:

Summer 2014:
Gen Chem 1 & 2

Fall 2014:
Bio 1
Orgo 1
Comparative Anatomy

Spring 2015
Bio 2
Orgo 2
Phys 1
Biochem

Summer 2015
Phys 2
Microbiology
Calculus

All A's, alongside the shadowing/activities I was doing. Studied for and took the DAT around August 30th. 23 AA. My applications didn't receive my DAT scores until mid September. I applied to 11 schools, received 1 interview and 1 acceptance. Granted, I had average EC's and only really applied to state schools.

Fortunately the acceptance I got was one of my preferred choices, and I feel extremely lucky. That school told me that I got that interview only because they unconventionally added some extra interview dates for a dozen or so late kids.

Long story short: I would not take the DAT without having taken Orgo. That will put your DAT in August and perhaps put you in the precarious situation I was in---schools won't receive your full application until most of the interview dates are given away.

If you're going to apply this cycle, my recommendation would be to just take Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 this summer, leaving physics until fall and spring. Then you can spend more time this summer studying for the DAT and take it in July or something, giving you complete applications in August and a better chance. (And you would want to destroy the QR section so your lack of physics isn't a question mark.)

Your other option is to do your original plan and teach yourself Orgo this spring while you're in school and studying for the rest of the DAT and take it early summer. I guess you could try it. Then, if you get close and don't feel ready, you could reschedule for July, drop physics, and do my idea.