This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishrfriendsnotfood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question regarding double majoring vs majoring. Currently I am getting a degree in chemistry and am potentially interested in getting a double major in biology. This would make me take 6/7 more classes and would put a lot more stress on my schedule, whereas with just the chemistry major I could potentially even graduate early.

My question is, do med schools favorably look upon an applicant for double majoring. Have you heard any stories of a compliment resulting from double majoring (in an interview, etc). Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding double majoring vs majoring. Currently I am getting a degree in chemistry and am potentially interested in getting a double major in biology. This would make me take 6/7 more classes and would put a lot more stress on my schedule, whereas with just the chemistry major I could potentially even graduate early.

My question is, do med schools favorably look upon an applicant for double majoring. Have you heard any stories of a compliment resulting from double majoring (in an interview, etc). Please let me know!

Haven't you heard? A double major doubles your chances of getting into med school.

Edit: just in case someone doesn't get that I'm joking... No it won't help you. Do well in one major rather than doing a second one and risking not doing as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

We don't care about majors, double majors or minors, only that you do well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My advice: declare one major, take additional coursework in the second subject if you can do well in it, and see how far along that gets you as you progress through undergrad. You may get far enough to declare a second major later on, but in the meantime you'll avoid the obligation of extra coursework and the hit to your GPA that could result. A second major doesn't increase your chances of getting into med school; in fact, it can decrease your chances if you overload yourself and take a GPA hit.

Reactions: 3 users
It's a waste of time and money

Just get As......a double major is not an accomplishment

Reactions: 1 users
Did a double major and ended with 2 bachelors in completely unrelated fields because I was interested in the material. That last part is the important bit if it wasn't obvious. Yes, I was complimented about this during the process, but it was very obvious that I had a great interest in both topics, and they both played a major role in my decision to pursue medicine.

Having a second major is not a silver bullet for instant acceptance. If you're doing it to just pump your app up and have no interest, then prepare to be possibly burned for it. ADCOMs have been doing this for a while and people have definetely tried to play the game and lost because ADCOMs saw right through them.