Doubts and Concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor1287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my second gap year just applying to medical schools this cycle. With my undergrad cGPA 3.05, sGPA 3.25 and MCAT 502, I know that I have a pretty low chance of getting in. However I don't doubt my ability to get accepted into medical school after retaking the MCAT and going to a SMP. However, I DO have doubts about my ability if I ever become a doctor. I am currently working in a pseudo-medical field job as a medical tech in a jail. This job mainly entails handing out meds to inmates and every once and a while responding to medical emergencies. The longer that I have been working at this job, the more I have noticed that my attention to details is not what it should be for a medical professional. A few times I have made medical errors that should have easily been avoided. I am concerned that if somehow I eventually do become a doctor, I will make further mistakes but with bigger consequences. Is this something that should cause my reconsideration of careers?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you make those errors? Lack of knowledge? Lack of interest? Lack of concern? Lack of motivation? It's hard to answer your question without having a better sense of what the actual issue is.

Reactions: 1 users
Why did you make those errors? Lack of knowledge? Lack of interest? Lack of concern? Lack of motivation? It's hard to answer your question without having a better sense of what the actual issue is.
Lack of procedural understanding. Both instances were new experiences at the time and I didn't think clearly about what should be done. Both were out of good will and not at all a lack of interest or concern but mistakes nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lack of procedural understanding. Both instances were new experiences at the time and I didn't think clearly about what should be done. Both were out of good will and not at all a lack of interest or concern but mistakes nonetheless.
If you were learning a new task, why do you feel like those errors should have easily been avoided? Making errors is part of the learning process for any task, and even experienced people make errors sometimes.

Yes, if they continue.
No, if you master your responsibilities.

A few times I have made medical errors that should have easily been avoided. I am concerned that if somehow I eventually do become a doctor, I will make further mistakes but with bigger consequences. Is this something that should cause my reconsideration of careers?

Reactions: 1 user