This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you turn in your application? I turned mine in December and worried that it's too late.

I submitted my application on September 8th. You might still have a good chance, depending on your stats

Members don't see this ad.

reached out to UTEP today. They started sending out acceptance letters today. and in February will be when they send out a list for the alternative students.

reached out to UTEP today. They started sending out acceptance letters today. and in February will be when they send out a list for the alternative students.
so if we didn't receive an email today then does that mean we probably will be rejected/waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got rejected from them haha.
so if we didn't receive an email today then does that mean we probably will be rejected/waitlisted?
I think if you didn’t hear anything it may be waitlisted, but I think they also sent out some rejections. That being said, I was accepted to UTEP and UTSW today. So my UTEP spot will be available for someone else now. Stay positive!

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you didn’t hear anything it may be waitlisted, but I think they also sent out some rejections. That being said, I was accepted to UTEP and UTSW today. So my UTEP spot will be available for someone else now. Stay positive!
Congratulations! UTSW is a great school I've heard! and thanks, I think its just killing all of us who are still in the waiting process or on waitlists lol

I didn’t get a rejection or acceptance letter from UTEP yet. So idk. Super anxious.

Has anybody heard back from UTMB about the top 100 waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
I got the letter yesterday. Me and some of my buddies all got rejection letters. Well, I will try next round. Btw how did y'all study for the gre?

I got the letter yesterday. Me and some of my buddies all got rejection letters. Well, I will try next round. Btw how did y'all study for the gre?

Magoosh. It's $150 for 6 months.

Congrats!! How did you hear from UTSW? Via phone or email?

Anyone hear from UTSW or UTEP today? I’m still waiting :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum site, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys. I just graduated in May 2017 from Tech, and I took this year off to actually retake some old courses back from my JC and to boost up my observation/volunteer hours. I've decided to apply to PT school this year when applications open again, but I need some feedback about my stats. Also if y'all can provide some solid tips on taking the GRE.

University: Texas Tech University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.25 (after retaking some basic courses)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.31
GRE: *Hopefully a good score, taking it in May

Volunteer: I've been working as a PT Aide at an Inpatient/Acute/Geriatric care hospital since this past October, and so far I've gotten 250+ hours, hopefully a lot more by the time I apply. Also have about 10 hours in outpatient. Also gonna be trying to get more outpatient hours before I apply.

Applying: I currently want to apply at Texas Tech since I graduated there and I also live here in Lubbock so it would be great financially. I am also gonna be applying to some New Mexico schools since I'm from New Mexico and also Colorado. I also want to apply to some Texas Schools as well.

P.S. If y'all could tell me what Tech looks at GPA-wise and whether they count retake courses or not.

Thanks for the Feedback!

Last edited:
How did y'all do on the gre when y'all applied?
I didn’t do too great 148, 147, 3.5. But I’ve heard a lot about using magoosh or Princeton review to improve scores. So if I don’t get off the waitlist this cycle I plan to retake using them.

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum site, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys. I just graduated in May 2017 from Tech, and I took this year off to actually retake some old courses back from my JC and to boost up my observation/volunteer hours. I've decided to apply to PT school this year when applications open again, but I need some feedback about my stats. Also if y'all can provide some solid tips on taking the GRE.

Volunteer: I've been working as a PT Aide at an Inpatient/Acute/Geriatric care hospital since this past October, and so far I've gotten 250+ hours, hopefully a lot more by the time I apply. Also have about 10 hours in outpatient. Also gonna be trying to get more outpatient hours before I apply.

Applying: I currently want to apply at Texas Tech since I graduated there and I also live here in Lubbock so it would be great financially. I am also gonna be applying to some New Mexico schools since I'm from New Mexico and also Colorado. I also want to apply to some Texas Schools as well.

P.S. If y'all could tell me what Tech looks at GPA-wise and whether they count retake courses or not.

Thanks for the Feedback!
I got rejected to Tech and to a few other Texas schools with my overall gpa of 3.57, pgpa 3.3. And gre 148, 147, 3.5. So really prep for the Gre and try to score above 150, use magoosh, Kaplan, or Princeton to study. Paying for one of those study preps and scoring high The first time is easier and cheaper than having to take the gre multiple times at $200 each. If your gre is above avg and overall gpa below there’s still a chance! But if you can also retake any prerequisite go for it! Good luck to you!

How did y'all do on the gre when y'all applied?
163 math, 159 verbal, 4.5. I did Magoosh for 3-4 months before taking it and it made a huge difference. They go through all the types of questions the GRE asks so you know exactly what to expect going in. I knew how to do almost all of the first verbal and math sections because I had seen them on Magoosh before, it was only on the harder difficulty stuff that there were some curveballs

Thanks for the Feedback!
I gave my self 6 weeks in the summer to study for the GRE (2 weeks each section). Kaplan’s book helped me lot, it has a bunch of online practice/test & the book is only $25 I believe on Amazon. Good luck!!
-Accepted to Tech
-156 Quant.
-153 Verbal
-4.5 writing

I bought the ETS GRE prep package and took the practice test and got a 158/157 and realized that I was perfectly fine with that, and then never looked at any of it again. I made EXACTLY the same score on the actual GRE of 158V/157Q/5. I feel like I could have increased that to the 160s with a bit of studying, but I definitely can't complain.

Is anyone else still waiting for UTSW? They said just a few days so I'm sweating it out at this point.

So I called UT Health last week and Nora told me they will start looking at waitlist starting this week!! Has anybody got an acceptance email from UT health this week??

Has anyone heard anything negative about TWU or UTSW? I'm trying to make the best decision for myself, but it's proving difficult!

Has anyone heard anything negative about TWU or UTSW? I'm trying to make the best decision for myself, but it's proving difficult!
Not necessarily. Both are great schools. Personally, I would pick UTSW.

I have heard only good things about TWU. I visited the Houston campus and spoke with some of the students at the open house event, and then stayed after and spoke with some of the faculty. I was really impressed. All of the PTs with degrees from TWU that I have met in the real world are really on top of things and seem very intelligent. I declined the interview for UTSW but that was mainly due to me not wanting to move to Dallas, but I think either program would actually be a great choice. Tuition is a bit cheaper at TWU which I liked. I would say there are no wrong choices though, no matter what happens you will come out with a DPT degree and will be well positioned to do whatever it is that you want to do, so pick the place that you feel most comfortable!

so a lot of students have already heard back with acceptances into UTEP. I see that a few ppl got rejections in this forum. Does anyone know about the waitlist, when they are going to send that out, or whats going on? lol

so a lot of students have already heard back with acceptances into UTEP. I see that a few ppl got rejections in this forum. Does anyone know about the waitlist, when they are going to send that out, or whats going on? lol

I am with ya Pursuit.of.DPT! If we didn't get an answer from UTEP, I wonder if we will have to wait until February to hear back..

I am with ya Pursuit.of.DPT! If we didn't get an answer from UTEP, I wonder if we will have to wait until February to hear back..
I am also waiting, has anybody tried contacting them? I don’t want to wait another couple of weeks to hear lol

I am also waiting, has anybody tried contacting them? I don’t want to wait another couple of weeks to hear lol
UTEP required people to accept their position by January 25th, so I would assume that would be when you might here from them next

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get rejected or waitlisted for UTSW yet? I know they've sent acceptances... I haven't heard anything yet. Hoping today is the day

Does anyone know if UTEP gives out your placement on their waitlist? I’m still waiting to hear something from them but was just curious

Congrats on those that already got interview invites!
When I applied last cycle UTMB was the first school I heard back from in terms of interviews, I remember I was ecstatic :)

I'm a first year DPT student at Texas State, so if you have any questions about PT school, applications or interviews let me know :)

How do you like Texas State? Any advice about the application process? I’m preparing to apply there this upcoming cycle!

I just got accepted to UTEP! I heard back on 1/19. :cat: I have to respond back to UTEP by Februrary whether I accept, but I'm still waiting on UTMB to get back to me if I'm still in the top 100...

Update: I got accepted to UTMB.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in my stats or can give me insight as to why I got rejected—esp with TTU because I felt confident that my interview went great and am still bummed about this—I would appreciate it:

Texas Tech graduate — Dec 2017
(B.S. in Kinesiology, Minor in Biology)

GPAs
Overall: 3.79
Prereq: ~3.65 (all As besides in CHEM)
Last 60: 4.0

GRE
V 149 / Q 153 / AW 3.5

Extracurriculars / Volunteer / Work: DM me for detailed list

Achievement Highlights:
President List (x4), Deans List (x2), Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, +2 other honor societies

Hours
Applied: ~300 (outpatient; accumulated during school vacations)
Updated: 400+ (currently working as a tech)

Applied: UTMB, TTU, UTEP, UNT, UTHSC

Interview: UTMB (11/3), TTU (11/17)
Acceptances: UTEP (1/19)
Waitlist: UTMB
Rejections: UNT (11/21), UTHSC (11/9), TTU (12/15)

On paper your stats look great. Were your essays personal? Cause you said your interview went well...so that's the only thing I can think of.

If anyone is interested in my stats or can give me insight as to why I got rejected—esp with TTU because I felt confident that my interview went great and am still bummed about this—I would appreciate it:

GPAs

GRE
V 149 / Q 153 / AW 3.5

Achievement Highlights:
President List (x4), Deans List (x2), Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, +2 other honor societies

Hours

Also, did you only do outpatient volunteering?

The supplemental essays that Tech required had a more personal tone to them, as with those I was able to elaborate more on what drew me into pursuing the profession from life experiences and whatnot. But my PTCAS essay had a more overall formal-sounding vibe with a clear intro, main body, and conclusion paragraphs with personal examples of the topics I talked about (similar to a paper for a class because that's how I like to write my essays in general).

And yeah, I only did outpatient hours (athletic, geriatric, general orthopedic) since I knew for sure that I wanted to work in an outpatient setting. That was one thing I felt could have been a weak factor to my app, but I've heard of people getting accepted with less hours than me and hoped that the other strong aspects of my app would have "buffered" this when looking at my app as a whole.

Hmm well your essays seem like you gave the schools lots of information about you and your interests so maybe that's not the issue. It could possibly be not having inpatient hours but who knows. it's very competitive cause even having amazing stats you are not guaranteed admission. We all have outstanding grades and lots of volunteering experiences which is why i think its so important to be personal and show the schools what makes you different. It could also probably be your extra curriculars that might be weak. But congrats on getting into UTEP. I have an interview coming up in February at UNT and it's one of my top choices. I have accepted an offer at University of South Florida as of now, but if I get accepted to UNT it's going to be difficult to choose.

GPAs

GRE
V 149 / Q 153 / AW 3.5

Achievement Highlights:

Hours

I understand that you’re frustrated about not getting into Tech or other schools high on your list. But one thing to remember is that you got into a program, and tons of people would kill to be in your situation.

GPAs

GRE
V 149 / Q 153 / AW 3.5

Achievement Highlights:

Hours

Dude/ette you shouldn't care. You got in. I applied to UNT, ASU, UTEP, UT San Antonio, Texas State and TWU and got rejected by all of them except Angelo State and I'm waiting to hear back from UTEP. Angelo State was my only Interview and my only acceptance. I could care less why the other schools rejected me. That's the mind set I think you should have as well. You got in. You're on your way to becoming a DPT. Don't stress over why those other programs rejected you.

Reactions: 5 users
#mhwreck - Ill be at UThealth in July, but I am finishing my last year at UTSA and doing an internship with an Angelo State grad right now and he knows his stuff. Had really good things to say about the program.