This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was talking to my advisor today about how since I have the space in my schedule, I would like to take classes in the sciences that a biology major wouldn't take, just because they interest me. I told her I wanted to take intro to environment, astronomy, Jurassic physics, Etc.

She advised against this because she said medical school would think I'm taking easy classes just to boost my sGPA.

I'm really interested in learning a broad range of science classes, but it would be disappointing if it would hurt my chances.

Is there truth to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I was talking to my advisor today about how since I have the space in my schedule, I would like to take classes in the sciences that a biology major wouldn't take, just because they interest me. I told her I wanted to take intro to environment, astronomy, Jurassic physics, Etc.

She advised against this because she said medical school would think I'm taking easy classes just to boost my sGPA.

I'm really interested in learning a broad range of science classes, but it would be disappointing if it would hurt my chances.

Is there truth to this?

If I were an adcom, I'd find the course name "Jurassic Physics" quite intimidating, and thus assume it's difficult. But to answer your question, you have to strategically pepper them into your semesters so it doesn't seem like you're overdoing it. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

Is there truth to this?

I just looked this up and it sounds like the coolest class ever. Don't miss out on learning about dinosaurs :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
We have physics of light and color too!! :)
I probably could have used that since I had to self-teach myself optics and I did a miserable job. Anyway, I had a few "easy" science classes that were classically known as the science classes for nonmajors (physical anthropology, weird technology classes, etc.). I think if you can speak to the reasons why you took them and you are interested in the topics, then you should take them (I could go on for hours about lemurs, so physical anthropology made sense, haha).

College is a unique time in life where you can take classes simply because you are interested in random topics. I'd say go for it! In several med school interviews I was asked "what was your favorite class?" I can't imagine a better answer than Jurassic physics!

I probably could have used that since I had to self-teach myself optics and I did a miserable job. Anyway, I had a few "easy" science classes that were classically known as the science classes for nonmajors (physical anthropology, weird technology classes, etc.). I think if you can speak to the reasons why you took them and you are interested in the topics, then you should take them (I could go on for hours about lemurs, so physical anthropology made sense, haha).

College is a unique time in life where you can take classes simply because you are interested in random topics. I'd say go for it! In several med school interviews I was asked "what was your favorite class?" I can't imagine a better answer than Jurassic physics!
I can just imagine the professor coming out on the first day with fog machines and fake scenery, popping out and saying "Welcome... to Jurassic physics!"
edit: kind of like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Take classes you're interested in. Medical schools won't care.

I took so many extra classes during undergrad just because I thought it would be a cool subject to learn about.