This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abeautifuldaytosavelives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i just got offered a medical scribe position at a hospital that is very close to my school and i am not sure if i should take it.....
i am just finishing my first year of college and have sophomore status due to my ap credits. during the interview i was told that they wanted someone to had experience in an anatomy or physiology class which i have not taken yet, unless i was willing to learn all the material during training over 3-4 days. also my typing speed is only around 40 words per minute and they wanted around 55-60.
i was very surprised that i was offered the job to begin with, but i am not sure if its the best option at this point. i am very dedicated to my work and all, but it seems like it would be a long and difficult process getting situated in this job since i don't have the educational background that they wanted.
don't get me wrong, i understand that this a great opportunity to work towards med school and i don't want to pass it up. however, i don't want to take the job if i am going to find it too difficult to handle or if i won't be able to keep up with the pace of the physician that i am working with. i REALLY do want to accept the offer, but i don't want to make my life or the physician's life harder if i won't be able to handle the work load since i am just starting off in college. trust me i am really surprised that i was offered the job to begin with since i am much younger than most of the applicants.
any advice on whether i should take the job to pass on the opportunity would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Even with the classes they ask and the short training period, initially things are rough for a few months for most scribes. The typing speed is adequate. I know, as I am not the fastest typer, but have developed a good short term memory for the job, and know how to write a good HPI fast. The most important thing is to always be looking out for ways to improve, or get faster without putting out lower quality work. As long as you have the mentality to do your best, scribing will be a great experience that almost anyone could become good at. That being said, scribe positions are always opening, I would be more concerned with adjusting to college and having a bit of fun. Unless you really need the money it could be good to wait. You could inform the recruiter in a mature way that you will not be accepting the job offer right now, but would be interested in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
so i just got offered a medical scribe position at a hospital that is very close to my school and i am not sure if i should take it.....
i am just finishing my first year of college and have sophomore status due to my ap credits. during the interview i was told that they wanted someone to had experience in an anatomy or physiology class which i have not taken yet, unless i was willing to learn all the material during training over 3-4 days. also my typing speed is only around 40 words per minute and they wanted around 55-60.
i was very surprised that i was offered the job to begin with, but i am not sure if its the best option at this point. i am very dedicated to my work and all, but it seems like it would be a long and difficult process getting situated in this job since i don't have the educational background that they wanted.
don't get me wrong, i understand that this a great opportunity to work towards med school and i don't want to pass it up. however, i don't want to take the job if i am going to find it too difficult to handle or if i won't be able to keep up with the pace of the physician that i am working with. i REALLY do want to accept the offer, but i don't want to make my life or the physician's life harder if i won't be able to handle the work load since i am just starting off in college. trust me i am really surprised that i was offered the job to begin with since i am much younger than most of the applicants.
any advice on whether i should take the job to pass on the opportunity would be appreciated.

I started working as an ED scribe back in June, and I can honestly say that it's the best thing I could've done. Of course, I'm in my gap year so it's a bit different from your situation, but I have plenty of coworkers that are full time students and they handle the workload just fine. And as far as getting your typing speed up, that will come with time. The doctors will know you're new and will understand. Plus, as you work more you'll get more comfortable with everything. As an ED scribe I've learned so much and it's a very rewarding experience. If you have any questions, then feel free to PM me :) good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

You'll be able to learn quickly. Scribing has a very steep learning curve-- you feel overwhelmed at first and a lot to handle and then suddenly it kinda just clicks and you're a pro. I would NOT reject this opportunity because your wpm or terminology is not up to par, you can learn those. I would reject if it was too much of a time commitment and your GPA and other things would greatly diminish. But if you can handle both a job and school, do it. You'll adjust.

Just do your best and be patient! It will come. I know on google they have quizzes and typing speed practice sessions! You can also google "practice cases" for scribes in different specialties! (I know this because I was once considering scribing :))

Good luck! Take the job!!!

Chief scribe checking in. My typing speed was even slower than yours and I was very anxious about taking the job at first. If I can do it, and thrive, anyone can. The terminology will come, just make sure you do your homework during training (we do terminate folks who blow off the training or don't take it seriously). The training for our group is in class training for 4 days, then you get shadowed for 6 training shifts to teach you the EMR, how different Doctors/PA/NPs do things, how each site works.

If you are motivated, it will be a great experience, no real prior knowledge is assumed, we train you on what you need to know. Please, 1) show up when you assigned, 2) don't flake out, 3) pay attention, 4) DO NOT COME IN HUNG OVER, and you will be fine. You will have a front row seat to an incredible experience of an ED, and will have great stories to tell at your potential medical school interviews. It is also a highly regarded ECs by adcoms, and there are usually opportunities for leadership in being promoted to Scribe Trainer, and finally Chief Scribe.

Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
If you decide you want the job, then you need to take it seriously and follow the above advice. Try to get up to speed quickly, even before training. Try to work on typing faster (plenty of online programs) and learn all the terminology in the workbooks they give you (learn it well). I'm not sure how the scribe scene is in your area, but the city I work in we are pretty much constantly short on quality scribes so just about anybody can get the job. Getting the job isn't the hardest part. Keeping it is. The training is tough and you will go through multiple tests that you must pass even before working in the hospital. You will then be put next to a doctor that is used to working really fast (life in the ED) and in many instances will be frustrated if you hamper them too much (at the same time there are many patient providers). Just a fair warning. Like the above posters, it is an amazing job and the experience is definitely worth it, but it isn't going to be easy. You will have a few months to get up to speed even before working in the hospital so just practice a ton.

Even with the classes they ask and the short training period, initially things are rough for a few months for most scribes. The typing speed is adequate. I know, as I am not the fastest typer, but have developed a good short term memory for the job, and know how to write a good HPI fast. The most important thing is to always be looking out for ways to improve, or get faster without putting out lower quality work. As long as you have the mentality to do your best, scribing will be a great experience that almost anyone could become good at. That being said, scribe positions are always opening, I would be more concerned with adjusting to college and having a bit of fun. Unless you really need the money it could be good to wait. You could inform the recruiter in a mature way that you will not be accepting the job offer right now, but would be interested in the future.

Excellent advice. I had about 2 weeks training with a bunch of tests in addition to 1 month of "on the job training" (basically I worked 1 moth free of charge to the company...stupid I know) and even with all that training I still had an adjustment period. You will find your stride eventually and develop your own tricks to speed up the process without compromising the quality of your note. The only thing I'd warn you about is to be careful not to let scribing get in the way of your schoolwork. Performance in school is far more important than getting to put your scribing job in your application.

Good thing this won't be a problem for me.
My max was 126 WPM
I average around 95 WPM
That stupid computer applications course in high school helped a tremendous amount. Started off at 40 WPM

Good thing this won't be a problem for me.
My max was 126 WPM
I average around 95 WPM
That stupid computer applications course in high school helped a tremendous amount. Started off at 40 WPM
You should totally write your personal statement on this incredible feat.

Reactions: 1 users
You can most likely get another scribe offer later down the line. The turnover rate is relatively high due to so many scribes going off to professional school, so there is always new openings. That said, it's always best to start early, especially with an EC as valuable as this one.

Don't worry about anatomy and physiology. The intro course you take will be a lot on your plate, but just pass the tests/exams, and you will learn everything on the job. Plus, the work you do is dependent on the specialty you work in. As for typing speed, again, don't worry. After one week scribing, your typing speed will double.

Just take the job. Worst case scenario you end up leaving (which you won't). The job is awesome and I love every shift I have. You learn so much from the job. As others have said there is a learning curve, but that generally comes with every job. I highly recommend you take the job. You will not regret it. Take the training seriously (most of it was about medicine for me so I enjoyed it). You will be 0kay. It is fine to be nervous about the job, but don't let that deter you from scribing. One of the best clinical experiences you can have. You build special relationships with the doctors, and staff in general. I cannot say enough good things about scribing. Except the pay is meh. Other than that hahha