Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very nice! Yes, I have a friend attending Auburn U right now and she says that Auburn is an extremely difficult university to get into and it is very good for research as well, which I agree 100%. This is exciting, as I would love to do research. The only thing is that the school I have been accepted to is also affiliated with a major university, which for D.O. schools seems to be fairly uncommon. The school I attend MUST have a major university affiliated with it and both of these schools do. I think I may attend the interview just to get a second look. Thank you for your input!

You should go OrdinaryDO, it might blow you away. I'm still waiting for an II here:( hope I am given the chance.. It's my first choice.

Also, Auburn> NMSU 100%

Members don't see this ad.

You should go OrdinaryDO, it might blow you away. I'm still waiting for an II here:( hope I am given the chance.. It's my first choice.

Also, Auburn> NMSU 100%
I understand the sentiment for the bold statement, but the only thing holding me back was the VERY impressive interview day at BCOM. It was absolutely amazing. I will most likely attend this interview to see if it has anything that I am looking for, then I will make a responsible decision if I am extended an acceptance here.

I understand the sentiment for the bold statement, but the only thing holding me back was the VERY impressive interview day at BCOM. It was absolutely amazing. I will most likely attend this interview to see if it has anything that I am looking for, then I will make a responsible decision if I am extended an acceptance here.

Best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday! OOS.
Are you planning on going? I am OOS as well, but this doesn't really matter for most D.O. schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If there are any current students at VCOM-Auburn, would you mind shooting me a PM - I would love to talk to you about this school before I dig deep into my penniless pockets to plan this trip. Thank you, very much for your time.

I think my #1 question I'll ask at the interview is concerning how deep the affiliation with Auburn is. Don't get me wrong, VCOM has a good reputation but I do favor a school with university affiliation.

I think my #1 question I'll ask at the interview is concerning how deep the affiliation with Auburn is. Don't get me wrong, VCOM has a good reputation but I do favor a school with university affiliation.
They have a contractual agreement to use their facilities and resources. So, you have all of the student amenities including research with professors and student athletic passes. It doesn't hurt to ask, though, as I will do the same! Auburn is a very nice research institution.

They have a contractual agreement to use their facilities and resources. So, you have all of the student amenities including research with professors and student athletic passes. It doesn't hurt to ask, though, as I will do the same! Auburn is a very nice research institution.

That's nice. I wonder if the Auburn community is proud to have VCOM as much as VCOM is proud to be with auburn.

That's nice. I wonder if the Auburn community is proud to have VCOM as much as VCOM is proud to be with auburn.
From what I hear from my friends who attend, they say they hear nothing but good things about VCOM, even going as far as to say the medical school is VERY good.

From what I hear from my friends who attend, they say they hear nothing but good things about VCOM, even going as far as to say the medical school is VERY good.

Awesome!

II last week, first med school interview and its affiliated with an SEC school which is freakin' awesome!! Woo! The big day is 12/14. Anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys is there anyone that was accepted but still working on their bachelors? I dont graduate until may 2016 and had a question: in the acceptance letter packet there was a requirement for not making any grades below a "B" in courses taken after the interview and before matriculation. Are dropped classes considered "lower than a B"? (they show up as "Q" on my transcript) I had to drop three courses this semester (all for unique reasons, and none I was actually failing in) I already sent in my tuition deposit and did the background check to vcom, so was just wondering if this would be a problem...

hi guys is there anyone that was accepted but still working on their bachelors? I dont graduate until may 2016 and had a question: in the acceptance letter packet there was a requirement for not making any grades below a "B" in courses taken after the interview and before matriculation. Are dropped classes considered "lower than a B"? (they show up as "Q" on my transcript) I had to drop three courses this semester (all for unique reasons, and none I was actually failing in) I already sent in my tuition deposit and did the background check to vcom, so was just wondering if this would be a problem...
Call Jasmine and talk to her. She would be able to answer that for you. I am still working on my bachelors and finish up the same time as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interview day went great today. Hopefully have a phone call coming to me soon. All the interviewers were really kind and I ended up chatting with each one past the allotted time. Moreover, each interviewer had taken the time to really evaluate me as a candidate and they knew my story well which have me an awesome feeling. Good luck everyone!

Still haven't received a secondary from any VCOM ...

Verified back in late Nov.

Wow, you withdrew from 3 classes? Did you retain a "W" on your transcript? If so, then I would say it will look pretty bad, especially after they sent out the letter about making nothing less than a "B." I hope everything works out for you, but you better have a good reason for dropping the classes, especially so late into the semester as to retain a "W" for each of the 3 courses. Do you mind sharing the reasons why you dropped them? It will look questionable since you have 3 "unique" reasons.

I would call and ask. I doubt it's as much of a problem as making a C or less.

Wow, you withdrew from 3 classes? Did you retain a "W" on your transcript? If so, then I would say it will look pretty bad, especially after they sent out the letter about making nothing less than a "B." I hope everything works out for you, but you better have a good reason for dropping the classes, especially so late into the semester as to retain a "W" for each of the 3 courses. Do you mind sharing the reasons why you dropped them? It will look questionable since you have 3 "unique" reasons.
no "W's" just "Q's". They are not withdrawals, they are "Q-drops" dont know if there is an actual difference though lol. And technically two "academic" classes b/c one was a one credit hour kinesiology basketball course. (dropped because I got injured playing another sport) Dropped one academic class because my elective hours got messed up and it turned out that I didn't need the course for my degree. (I already finished all my electives) and the last course that I am retaking next semester b/c I wasn't doing too well in the class (that was the only one I didn't really have an "excuse" for haha, it was a super hard class)

II this morning. REALLY excited about this school. Anybody know the acceptance rate post interview?

I was complete around the start of December!

Interviewing here on the 7th of January, anyone else interviewing?

II this morning. REALLY excited about this school. Anybody know the acceptance rate post interview?

At out interview they mentioned that of the 2,000+ applications received for VCOM-Auburn, ~300 are interviewed if I recall correctly. That leaves very promising chances for those who are interviewed.

Interviewing here January 12th! I don't want to say that I'm wishing the Christmas season to hurry by, but I'm anxious to finally do this!

I took mine in July and there was a good amount of Biochem. I would know my AAs as mentioned by another poster. Honestly, I took the MCAT 3x times, I used Kaplan the last time and EK the first two. Everyone swears by EK, but I honestly think there is no substitute for putting in the time. Increased time is the only thing I did differently besides the Kaplan and taking a 6 hour Phys course which helped tremendously.

no shame in your game! This will be my fourth time and I think having a post-bach will help immensely. I really like the new MCAT better than the old style. yes, AA's! I have been reviewing my notes from my Masters degree and also using Khan Academy and Gold standard MCAT for studying. Ive been casually studying since August and trying to study around my work schedule. Getting closer to the Jan 22nd test date so im going to back off work for a bit so I can put in the time. Thank you for the helpful tips! :)

Accepted today! Holy freaking cow I am going to be a Doctor ... God is good.

Accepted today! Holy freaking cow I am going to be a Doctor ... God is good.

Congrats on the acceptance!

I guessing I'm rejected from here if you interviewed after me and I haven't received any call.

Congrats on the acceptance!

I guessing I'm rejected from here if you interviewed after me and I haven't received any call.

don't give up !! you never know! keep faith!

Got an II here on Jan 7th. For those who have interview already, any advice on how to prepare?

Got an II here on Jan 7th. For those who have interview already, any advice on how to prepare?

It's open file so know your app well enough to converse on any topic you mentioned. Be sociable at the interview day and talk with the other applicants to get the kinks out of your speech before the interviews. Don't be intimidated by anyone's stats or EC's they may mention during the interview day. The school is interviewing you which means they want you. Most of all, be confident in how far you've made it through this process and how your experiences/work so far have prepared you for a life as a physician.

Last edited:
What are everyone's specific interests in attending VCOM-Auburn? Pros/cons?

What are everyone's specific interests in attending VCOM-Auburn? Pros/cons?

From my experience it was an amazing school, in an amazing city, with an amazing university affiliate... and the ONLY con (in my opinion) is that it is a new school.. this may be a pro depending on how you look at it I guess.

From my experience it was an amazing school, in an amazing city, with an amazing university affiliate... and the ONLY con (in my opinion) is that it is a new school.. this may be a pro depending on how you look at it I guess.

What is the benefit to VCOM with the university affiliation? Access to Auburn's research labs for VCOM students? Anything else?

What is the benefit to VCOM with the university affiliation? Access to Auburn's research labs for VCOM students? Anything else?

Research, football, orange and blue hoodies, an alma mater to root for the rest of your life. I am obviously a sports guy.. so it is probably a bigger deal to me than most.

Research, football, orange and blue hoodies, an alma mater to root for the rest of your life. I am obviously a sports guy.. so it is probably a bigger deal to me than most.

I know they're a fairly new school, but do you know anything about their rotations?

Just got the rejection email. I felt my interviews went well and I think in the end I probably made a poor case for the "Why Alabama/Why Auburn?" question. No worries though, I was not planning on attending anyways and I think this is for the best. I've been accepted elsewhere and actually got an II to a really nice school just before the rejection email, so I honestly think God just closed the door on this one. Congratulations to all those who got accepted! We're going to be doctors!

im anxiously awaiting to take my MCAT , get the score back, and by some miracle for VCOM to give me an interview. lol. I turned my secondary in about a month or so ago. I feel like they are waiting on my pending MCAT score. I would almost bet. I did get an interview today to another school. VCOM is one of my two top choices so it would be nice to get an interview here! :)

MY VCOM-AUBURN REVIEW:

The campus was nothing short of amazing here at Auburn-VCOM. The actual Auburn campus is beautiful and they have one if the very best activity/rec. centers that I have come across. The culture and history in Aunurn is phenomenal and exciting as a possible future student in Auburn. I will try to give a very simple, yet detailed rundown of the pros and cons I noticed while present on interview day.

PROS:
1.Extremely nice/clean campus
2.Excellent recreational center for working out, state of the art track and climbing walls, also multiple swimming areas.
3.Rich culture and traditions involving the town of Auburn and the students at the University of Auburn.
4. Faculty/staff seemed to be very educated and very nice. They had answers for every question I asked and reassured me that the students are the number one priority once accepted.
5. They don't rank the classes, so more teamwork and less of the gunner competition.
6. Very nice mandatory third year clinical hubs located fairly close to VCOM.
7. VCOM-Auburn is the 3rd and newest medical school of the VCOM family, therefore the building is brand new and state of the art.
8. The curriculum is proven and exactly the same as their parent campuses, also allowing for students to download and review recorded lectures from the other two campus sites.
9. 100% final residency match rate.
10. Since it is a satelite campus new students can take out federal loans, which is very nice,
11. Nicest OMM lab in the country.
12. Very low cost of living.
13. There is a lot more to write, but I am only going to elaborate if specific questions are asked.

CONS OF VCOM-AUBURN:

1. Only one class in the school right now, so not much information to go off of for help in the classroom setting.
2. Tuition isn't too bad, but still not cheap. $43,250/yr
3. Located in a "college town" which isn't really a bad thing, but it does have its restrictions at times.m
4. They are VERY mission based for primary care, so while this isn't really a bad thing it still has me wondering the emphasis they will place on it as time goes on.
5. Current students mentioned so,e difficulties in class work and tests with respect to multiple tests per week making it hard to study efficiently and score well.
6. Mandatory attendance.
So on so fourth. I will stop here. Let me know if you have any specific questions - I didn't want to name every little detail, but my overall impression was very good, however some of my group did not come out of it as happy with the school as others were.

MY VCOM-AUBURN REVIEW:

4. They are VERY mission based for primary care, so while this isn't really a bad thing it still has me wondering the emphasis they will place on it as time goes on.
5. Current students mentioned so,e difficulties in class work and tests with respect to multiple tests per week making it hard to study efficiently and score well.

Regarding point 4:

Yes, VCOM is focused on primary care. However, note that our largest campus organizations are Emergency Medicine (ACOEP) and Surgery (SOSA). The study body is very diverse in background and interest. I would not let the primary care focus deter anyone who wants to purse a non primary care field.

Regarding point 5:

That was the case about 3 months ago, but it has been resolved. The great thing about VCOM-Auburn is that the Medical Education department and Dean Palmarozzi solicit feedback from class leadership and LISTEN. Student government proposed changes to the testing schedule and those were implemented for Block 2. The only Block 2 week with 4 exams is FINALS week; all other weeks had 2 exams IIRC. Med Ed allowed the SGA President and Class President to review the Block 3 calendar, and again made exam schedule adjustments based on feedback. Block 3 thus does not have heavy test weeks either.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding point 4:

Yes, VCOM is focused on primary care. However, note that our largest campus organizations are Emergency Medicine (ACOEP) and Surgery (SOSA). The study body is very diverse in background and interest. I would not let the primary care focus deter anyone who wants to purse a non primary care field.

Regarding point 5:

That was the case about 3 months ago, but it has been resolved. The great thing about VCOM-Auburn is that the Medical Education department and Dean Palmarozzi solicit feedback from class leadership and LISTEN. Student government proposed changes to the testing schedule and those were implemented for Block 2. The only Block 2 week with 4 exams is FINALS week; all other weeks had 2 exams IIRC. Med Ed allowed the SGA President and Class President to review the Block 3 calendar, and again made exam schedule adjustments based on feedback. Block 3 thus does not have heavy test weeks either.

I hope this helps.

Very nice. We asked if they had changed the schedule and the students said they think it will be fixed for the next class, so that is nice to hear.

I just received the acceptance call at 5pm this evening! I am beyond excited, but so torn...someone please help me choose between BCOM and Auburn. Gosh, this is the best worst problem in the world.

I just received the acceptance call at 5pm this evening! I am beyond excited, but so torn...someone please help me choose between BCOM and Auburn. Gosh, this is the best worst problem in the world.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow congrats!!!!! I'm hoping for an II here my top choice :( I scribe for a lot of docs that went to VCOM and they loved it. Good luck in your decision making. Where r u from? Does that play a factor in your decision?