Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today!! Would love to get involved on the Facebook page if anyone knows the info on that. Also, how long after the acceptance call did you guys receive any communication through email or mail?
What's your name and I can add you to the fb group. They are pretty quick about sending out info and getting you started. I got accepted earlier in the cycle so I had a bit more time to complete all my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

they tend to send their complete emails about a month or so after actually being complete. hoping it means an incoming ii, but i'm in the same boat. i got the complete last month but still nothing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I game them a call about it and they provisionally said
"nah dawg gtfo with yo dreams and ****"

and told me to apply to the post-bacc
GPA: 3.12
MCAT: 503
2 Publications
Lots of hours
2 DO letters
worked in two pretty famous research labs

I game them a call about it and they provisionally said
"nah dawg gtfo with yo dreams and ****"

and told me to apply to the post-bacc
GPA: 3.12
MCAT: 503
2 Publications
Lots of hours
2 DO letters
worked in two pretty famous research labs
maybe you apply late?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today for March 1st.

I got my secondary December 9th but didn't see it in my spam. I just assumed they were passing on me until I randomly emailed them on Feb 1st. They informed me about the spam issue and gave me a new secondary link. Finished that on Feb 4th.

II today for March 1st.

I got my secondary December 9th but didn't see it in my spam. I just assumed they were passing on me until I randomly emailed them on Feb 1st. They informed me about the spam issue and gave me a new secondary link. Finished that on Feb 4th.

congratz. stats?

Thanks. I'm a bit of a non-traditional student, so my stats are a bit funky.

GPA: 3.13
BCPM GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 508
2100 hours working in an ER
1500 hours working in a surgery center
2 semesters of undergrad research
About 80 hours shadowing
About 30 hours of volunteering

The 3.13 is weighed down by lots of hours of mediocre grades in my first stint at school with only a couple BCPM classes. The 3.85 mostly represents my return to school for 69 hours of science courses and biology degree. Pretty much all the work, all the shadowing, and the MCAT came after my poor performance at school. So I'm the typical "strong trend" student.

Don't get bummed out if it doesn't work out for you. Just dedicate to yourself over the next year to dominate each and every day. I got rejected from everywhere last year, myself. I'm accepted to ACOM and have 3 other interviews in the coming weeks. Just keep grinding.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview 1/7 got the call yesterday that I was accepted! Woo Hoo!
I interviewed at VCOM-auburn as well! I was also accepted. Who were you? The girl from connitecut? Or florida? Or texas? Im the guy from michigan Lol

I'm a student in the inaugural class at VCOM-Auburn, so I'm happy to shed some light here:
VCOM is located just south of the 'traditional campus' and is less than a 1/4mi from Jordan-Hare stadium. Have a look at Google Maps if you're inclined to get a better idea of where everything is located. The building is AWESOME. If you get the chance to come and visit, please do! The building is open M-F 8-5 for any visitors, and there's guest parking right in front of the building.
Speaking about the campus involvement, we're all pretty excited about it. You are entered into the student lottery (equivalent to a freshman) for the chance to buy football tickets. You can get full season or a partial (2 game) package, depending on your luck. In the future, we should be registered as grad students and will have a better chance at all being able to get tickets if we like. For this year, VCOM actually provided tickets for 2 home games for each student!
Also, we are able to play in the campus intramural leagues and can use the Auburn Student Rec Center (which is the bomb!) for free. IIRC, its one of the nicest in the nation and really has to be seen to be believed. 240,000sqft of pure awesomeness!
The entire city seems pretty excited to have us here. In fact, I've been stopped twice since school began because I was wearing my VCOM swag around town.

If I'm not mistaken, we have approximately 400 spots in our lot for students. Should be plenty for both 1st and 2nd year students (~160 per class). Also, they're still working out the details, but we should be keeping all of our spots on game day. Personally, I think I might be 'selling' my parking spot... $$$ Haha!
Also, I think we'll be able to tailgate on the property too on gameday... but that, like many things, are still in the works.

Again, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or to comment on here. I'll try to check back every now, as my studies allow, to get you all the information you need.
Good luck, everyone!!!
Hello,
I am a newly accepted student at VCOM-auburn. I was just hoping you could give me some insight into the school. I am trying to decide between VCOM and KYCOM. Do you mind sharing some of the obvious pros and cons of the school. KYCOM is in a really boring town and the university is tiny but the school is a bit more established and 100% of graduates do secure residences. would you say graduates at VCOM-auburn would be at a disadvantage when it comes to matching, or even the board exams because it is a new campus? I am getting white hairs from trying to decide where to go, a really tough decision. Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

thanks.

Hello,
I am a newly accepted student at VCOM-auburn. I was just hoping you could give me some insight into the school. I am trying to decide between VCOM and KYCOM. Do you mind sharing some of the obvious pros and cons of the school. KYCOM is in a really boring town and the university is tiny but the school is a bit more established and 100% of graduates do secure residences. would you say graduates at VCOM-auburn would be at a disadvantage when it comes to matching, or even the board exams because it is a new campus? I am getting white hairs from trying to decide where to go, a really tough decision. Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

thanks.

I would choose KYCOM just because I know some docs that went there and all have spoken highly of how well it has trained them- I also have ties to Kentucky so my response is a bit bias. If you doubts about auburn than choose KYCOM don't choose the school u go to if the only thing you considering is how fun the town is

Hello,

thanks.

After getting accepted to both VCOM and KYCOM, I decided on VCOM mainly because of the reasons 2wheel described. Pikeville is so small, and I am from the state so I know that its not even close to anything remotely fun. I'd easily get depressed out there. I think it is important to consider location in your decision if it would influence your educational experience. Also VCOM's facilities are better- specifically the SIMs lab. KYCOM had an adult man and a baby, that looked to have lots of wear and tear. VCOM has a variety, including a mother that can birth an infant. Also all of VCOMs have drug reaction capabilities, which just enhances the learning experience even more! Making a big decision is stressful though, good luck!

Last edited:
I'm visiting VCOM one last time this weekend before decision time. Paid deposits on NSU and VCOM, but it's really hard to argue against VCOM's incredibly warm and welcoming atmosphere. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

thanks.

Personally, I chose between ACOM and VCOM-Auburn (the two schools I was stuck between) based almost entirely on my preference for the town. All of these schools are in the business of churning out well-educated doctors. As long as you feel like you can make the curriculum work for you & you like the school itself, don't get too worried about it.

What matters to me is being in an environment where I'm able to enjoy my surroundings and avoid burnout. There's always something to do here in Auburn, to the extent that it can possibly be a distraction if you lack self-control. But if you can't make yourself sit down and study, you might want to rethink medical school in general ;) One thing I think that helps with that in particular is our Via Wellness program, in which you can get points for attending optional seminars, social events, intramurals, volunteering, etc. It's a nice CV booster and it allows plenty of options for you to keep your down-time varied and interesting.

Matching depends on a whole host of factors, including a bit of strategy and blind luck. I can't see anyone at the top of their class getting passed over just because of their school. If you're in the bottom of the class however, that's another story and a whole host of things can be used to rule you out.

And for boards, we share the same curriculum as the Virginia and Carolinas campus, and can even stream their lectures through the same portal we use to (re)view ours. I'm almost certain they present VCOM's board pass rates to those who interview... and those numbers are nothing to shake a stick at. IIRC the Comlex-1 pass rates are something like 99-96% across the past few years. I don't have a doubt that I'll be prepared when it comes that time.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have experience with the waitlist here? Is there a good chance of being excepted if you get put on it?

FYI they are now interviewing for the waitlist only

Well, that puts a dent into my hopes. I am interviewing soon. What was the interview like if anyone cares to share? My apologies if this was earlier stated somewhere.

So, I don't know where or who you received this information from, but there is absolutely no supporting evidence for it. As of the end of January, the 2020 class was only half full. If you have an interview, don't take it for granted there are still seats available.

Last edited:
Well, that puts a dent into my hopes. I am interviewing soon. What was the interview like if anyone cares to share? My apologies if this was earlier stated somewhere.
The interview is extremely laid back and conversational. Just go in with confidence in who you are and be yourself. That's what anyone who interviews you wants to see. From my experience, everyone I interacted with was genuine and interested in getting to know me better. If you go in feeling defeated and expecting at best to be wait listed, it will show. Show up and impress them with who you are, and why you are going to be a great fit for them. Just my $3.50.

So, I don't know where or who you received this information from, but there is absolutely no supporting evidence for it. As of the end of February, the 2020 class was only half full. If you have an interview, don't take it for granted there are still seats available.

Received the information from Jasmine Oliver upon the start of the interview day last week. All of us in the group were slightly taken aback but it was a great opportunity to see Auburn, interact with current students, and talk to the faculty. Also, the interview format is 3 one-on-ones (approx. 15 mins each... wasn't keeping track of time) with current faculty.

Will they tell you that when they call you to schedule an interview?

I wasn't informed until I arrived in Alabama... Also, I wasn't called for an interview (received an email from the admissions committee scheduling an interview time). Im sure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

After getting accepted to both VCOM and KYCOM, I decided on VCOM mainly because of the reasons 2wheel described. Pikeville is so small, and I am from the state so I know that its not even close to anything remotely fun. I'd easily get depressed out there. I think it is important to consider location in your decision if it would influence your educational experience. Also VCOM's facilities are better- specifically the SIMs lab. KYCOM had an adult man and a baby, that looked to have lots of wear and tear. VCOM has a variety, including a mother that can birth an infant. Also all of VCOMs have drug reaction capabilities, which just enhances the learning experience even more! Making a big decision is stressful though, good luck!
Thanks for the information! if I may ask, which VCOM campus did you get into?

my file is still under review, what is the likelihood of getting an II in march? should i give up waiting? thanks for your honest input

i was told by admissions that they will be interviewing through april, so the possibility still exists but it is slim and the chance of subsequent acceptance is even slimmer :/

I was accepted a while back but just found this thread. Is there a FB page for students that have already been accepted?

Turned down my waitlist spot, attending ACOM. Really enjoyed my experience with VCOM, and have nothing but good things to say about them. Just personal preference.

Good luck all

Sent from my XT1585 using SDN mobile

Does VCOM have a final deadline for deposits to be submitted for those who have already been offered, after which they begin pulling off the waitlist?

Does VCOM have a final deadline for deposits to be submitted for those who have already been offered, after which they begin pulling off the waitlist?

They do, the deadline is just depends on when you were accepted. You should definitely call and ask for more information regarding deposits. I was also told that they have to wait for a student to physically mail a letter declining his/her offer in order to pull another student off the wait list.

They do, the deadline is just depends on when you were accepted. You should definitely call and ask for more information regarding deposits. I was also told that they have to wait for a student to physically mail a letter declining his/her offer in order to pull another student off the wait list.

OK. Thanks. Hoping soon to come off the WL when declination letters are sent.

New to SDN, but currently wait listed :/ but still hopeful

I just received an II here today. The last time I received any correspondence from VCOM was in October 2015, haha! Anyways, I'm glad to hear from them, but am worried that it's just for a spot on the wait list.

I just received an II here today. The last time I received any correspondence from VCOM was in October 2015, haha! Anyways, I'm glad to hear from them, but am worried that it's just for a spot on the wait list.

Congrats! It is for a spot on the wait list though.

I know this is pretty old, but I thought since no one else replied I would go ahead and say that they accepted my declination of acceptance via e-mail.

Interviewed today, just confirming again that at this point it is indeed for a spot on the wait list :p

Interviewed today, just confirming again that at this point it is indeed for a spot on the wait list :p

Any information on the wait list you can share? Did Megan tell you guys how large the list is? And when to anticipate movement ? Thanks and I hope your interview went well :)

Any information on the wait list you can share? Did Megan tell you guys how large the list is? And when to anticipate movement ? Thanks and I hope your interview went well :)
Naw, they were pretty ambiguous about the wait list. It is ranked, but like most schools they will not tell you your rank as it changes so often. As for movement, we should see movement at all schools after may 15. When I interviewed at Marian, the director of admissions told us that may 15th is basically the deadline for all accepted DO students to only have 1 paid deposit acceptance. He said he actually receives a list from AACOMAS detailing how many acceptances a student has. In the case of Marian, he said that they may even rescind an acceptance if he sees someone still holding onto multiple acceptances after may 15....but I do not know if this rescinding policy is followed by other schools. Just passing on some information that I found very helpful.

Naw, they were pretty ambiguous about the wait list. It is ranked, but like most schools they will not tell you your rank as it changes so often. As for movement, we should see movement at all schools after may 15. When I interviewed at Marian, the director of admissions told us that may 15th is basically the deadline for all accepted DO students to only have 1 paid deposit acceptance. He said he actually receives a list from AACOMAS detailing how many acceptances a student has. In the case of Marian, he said that they may even rescind an acceptance if he sees someone still holding onto multiple acceptances after may 15....but I do not know if this rescinding policy is followed by other schools. Just passing on some information that I found very helpful.
So i have two acceptences now, and i have made a final decision about what school i want to attend but i still have not told the other school that i wont be attending anymore. What happens after may 15th if i still dont tell them?

So i have two acceptences now, and i have made a final decision about what school i want to attend but i still have not told the other school that i wont be attending anymore. What happens after may 15th if i still dont tell them?

Depends on the school I guess but I mean why wouldn't you tell the other school?

Why wouldn't you tell them you're withdrawing your acceptance? They need to start shifting people around from the wait list and letting them know early on will help speed up the process. It's just professional and courteous to let them know if you know for certain you won't be attending.

Also I'm not sure what would happen to you, since each school likely has a different policy.

They will know how many acceptances you are holding around the beginning of May I think. They can withdraw your acceptance.