Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who got the VCOM Complete Email from Admissions (not the payment receipt from PayPal) tell us how long it took to get a II?

Was given complete email in late august. There is no mention of length of time per say.
Here is complete email if you are curious.
"We are pleased to learn of your continued interest in the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. I can confirm your application is complete as we are in receipt of your Secondary Application, processing fee, and all required letters of recommendation.
We will begin reviewing completed applications in early August, 2016 and will schedule our first interviews for early decision applicants in mid-September, 2016 and for our general application pool in early-October, 2016. We will continue to interview into spring, 2017. Once your application is reviewed, we will be certain to provide you with an update on your status.
Considering we utilize a rolling admissions process, applications will be reviewed for interviews periodically throughout the application process. If you are not granted an interview during the first review, please be advised that your application will stay active and will be eligible for review at subsequent sessions. Should you be granted an interview, you can expect to be notified via phone."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Was given complete email in late august. There is no mention of length of time per say.
Here is complete email if you are curious.
"We are pleased to learn of your continued interest in the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. I can confirm your application is complete as we are in receipt of your Secondary Application, processing fee, and all required letters of recommendation.
We will begin reviewing completed applications in early August, 2016 and will schedule our first interviews for early decision applicants in mid-September, 2016 and for our general application pool in early-October, 2016. We will continue to interview into spring, 2017. Once your application is reviewed, we will be certain to provide you with an update on your status.
Considering we utilize a rolling admissions process, applications will be reviewed for interviews periodically throughout the application process. If you are not granted an interview during the first review, please be advised that your application will stay active and will be eligible for review at subsequent sessions. Should you be granted an interview, you can expect to be notified via phone."

That's exactly the email I got. Did you interview yet?

Anyone who got the VCOM Complete Email from Admissions (not the payment receipt from PayPal) tell us how long it took to get a II?

I was complete 10/03/16, II 10/18 so it really depends. There are three schools and apparently there's someone at the top sifting through and placing students at this or that campus based on what they wrote in their app.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS. 3.8 overall, 3.6 science, 4.0 non. Double major (Bio/Neuro) 499 MCAT. 1000+ hours of clinical experience. 250+ hours of volunteer work. and good LORs and ECs. I submitted my primary for them 2 days ago and received the secondary the following day (don't have sign-in access yet). Do you guys think I have decent chances? I ran out of money previously which is why I had to wait so long but I love this school.

OOS. 3.8 overall, 3.6 science, 4.0 non. Double major (Bio/Neuro) 499 MCAT. 1000+ hours of clinical experience. 250+ hours of volunteer work. and good LORs and ECs. I submitted my primary for them 2 days ago and received the secondary the following day (don't have sign-in access yet). Do you guys think I have decent chances? I ran out of money previously which is why I had to wait so long but I love this school.

What were the scores on each of your sections of the MCAT?

125/126/123/125

Definitely still apply, but I think since the BS score is below 125 you should consider retaking the exam in January. Your other stats make you a very solid candidate otherwise. Let the admissions office know that you plan to retake it so they are in the loop. You may still be in the clear taking it then since they offer interviews going into March.

Definitely still apply, but I think since the BS score is below 125 you should consider retaking the exam in January. Your other stats make you a very solid candidate otherwise. Let the admissions office know that you plan to retake it so they are in the loop. You may still be in the clear taking it then since they offer interviews going into March.

I'll definitely consider that. I have already interviewed at PCOM so I may wait a while to decide, maybe I will get an interview here without having to take them again :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'll definitely consider that. I have already interviewed at PCOM so I may wait a while to decide, maybe I will get an interview here without having to take them again :)

Ah very true! If you scored an interview with PCOM that definitely is a game-changer then. Hope it goes well for you and you won't have to do a retake!

Ah very true! If you scored an interview with PCOM that definitely is a game-changer then. Hope it goes well for you and you won't have to do a retake!

Would be ideal! haha thanks for the input though. Silently praying I won't have to now. :)

Does anyone know how long it took to access the secondary once receiving the invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 10/03/16, II 10/18 so it really depends. There are three schools and apparently there's someone at the top sifting through and placing students at this or that campus based on what they wrote in their app.

So about 2 weeks then...would love to get an II here

Does this school even accept people before December? Seems like very few people on this thread have gotten an II, let alone a secondary yet

Does this school even accept people before December? Seems like very few people on this thread have gotten an II, let alone a secondary yet
They accept 75% of those that interview, and I think they interview less than 400 people overall. So they are pretty selective secondary -> II.
Each interview day is roughly 6 people, and they only interview twice a week (from what I know). So 12/week means it takes them most of the time from September -> February to interview everyone they want to.

So I would not be discouraged if you have not received a II yet.
Its still very early in the cycle.

Also take everything I am saying with a grain of salt because I am not 100% sure on all of it.

They accept 75% of those that interview, and I think they interview less than 400 people overall. So they are pretty selective secondary -> II.
Each interview day is roughly 6 people, and they only interview twice a week (from what I know). So 12/week means it takes them most of the time from September -> February to interview everyone they want to.

Also take everything I am saying with a grain of salt because I am not 100% sure on all of it.

Did you already interview here or are you still waiting? Admissions told me I won't get a Complete email for my secondary until it is screened for review by admissions. I got that complete email a few days ago. As the poster way above mentioned, it took 15 days from the Complete email to II, so if you got an II, what was your timeline like?

dayyummm

Did you already interview here or are you still waiting? Admissions told me I won't get a Complete email for my secondary until it is screened for review by admissions. I got that complete email a few days ago. As the poster way above mentioned, it took 15 days from the Complete email to II, so if you got an II, what was your timeline like?

I interviewed on 10/6 and was accepted on 10/20.
I was complete at the beginning of August, and received my II in the middle to end of September (around the 20th) if I remember correctly.

My secondary was complete on 10/2, and I didn't receive and send my MCAT scores until 10/12. I'm still waiting to hear back about an II, but when would you guys think a timeline would be to hear from them (if I hear from them)?

My secondary was complete on 10/2, and I didn't receive and send my MCAT scores until 10/12. I'm still waiting to hear back about an II, but when would you guys think a timeline would be to hear from them (if I hear from them)?

In my opinion, ts nearly impossible to generate a timeline for a II. I had applications last cycle complete in August and I received some IIs in December/January for February interview dates.
For MOST (I capitalize this because some schools do silent rejections) schools if you have not been denied post secondary; your application either has not been evaluated for a II invite, or it is sitting in a group where you are actively being re-evaluated against others for a II invite.
Again I am not an admin anywhere/have any admissions experience but this is my understanding of how the process works.

In my opinion, ts nearly impossible to generate a timeline for a II. I had applications last cycle complete in August and I received some IIs in December/January for February interview dates.
For MOST (I capitalize this because some schools do silent rejections) schools if you have not been denied post secondary; your application either has not been evaluated for a II invite, or it is sitting in a group where you are actively being re-evaluated against others for a II invite.
Again I am not an admin anywhere/have any admissions experience but this is my understanding of how the process works.

That's true. I just need to calm down with this whole process. It sucks seeing so many people on here getting II's, but I need to keep in mind that I'm not the only one still waiting to hear back.

That's true. I just need to calm down with this whole process. It sucks seeing so many people on here getting II's, but I need to keep in mind that I'm not the only one still waiting to hear back.

Yeah there is a lot of people that are still waiting, I got complete a few days ago, but it seems the average response time is 2 weeks for VCOM

So a little late to this thread (just added a few more schools as I recently got a DO LOR!)...anyways, for the LOR did you guys put in their current addresses or do they mean the address of the school they attended (for the physician one)? I feel silly getting so confused on this, but the way they have it set up looks like it is for the school they graduated from and I was confused as to why VCOM would need the address for other DO schools

So a little late to this thread (just added a few more schools as I recently got a DO LOR!)...anyways, for the LOR did you guys put in their current addresses or do they mean the address of the school they attended (for the physician one)? I feel silly getting so confused on this, but the way they have it set up looks like it is for the school they graduated from and I was confused as to why VCOM would need the address for other DO schools

I put the physical address of the practice that the physician currently worked. That worked for me. I doubt it means the address of the school the attended for the same reason you mentioned. Good luck!

I put the physical address of the practice that the physician currently worked. That worked for me. I doubt it means the address of the school the attended for the same reason you mentioned. Good luck!

Awesome, thank you!

Complete here mid August and still haven't heard back yet. Judging by the thread it seems II invites are trickling out slowly.

I'm OOS 4.0 gpa overall 497 MCAT,
Lots of ECs, lots of DO shadowing, from Appalachia. I got in

I loved this school but will be declining my acceptance here I'm going to KYCOM

ho long after submitting the secondary did it take to receive a complete application confirmation? Thanks

ho long after submitting the secondary did it take to receive a complete application confirmation? Thanks

Honestly I feel like it's random. However, for most people, it tends to hover around 1 month from secondary submission to complete email.

To those who have interviewed, how was the process?

To those who have interviewed, how was the process?
Very conversational. Three 30 minute interviews, all the faculty I met were amazing people and just wanted to get to know who I was and what got me to be sitting in front of them.
As with any interview; pay attention to the mission statement, and browse through their website to get a feel for their institution beforehand.

Submitted my secondary 9/29. On my portal under "document status" my LORs are listed with a check mark. Under "communications" they are only showing the secondary invite only. I'm still not showing anywhere they received my secondary and I haven't gotten a complete e-mail. Anyone else having to wait this long? Should I call them?

Submitted my secondary 9/29. On my portal under "document status" my LORs are listed with a check mark. Under "communications" they are only showing the secondary invite only. I'm still not showing anywhere they received my secondary and I haven't gotten a complete e-mail. Anyone else having to wait this long? Should I call them?
This is not a long wait.

I had to wait like 2 months and others seem to be still waiting. You can email them but they will probably tell you to keep on waiting!

Is this screening before or after secondary? I received a secondary already but still waiting for an interview invite

The screening is before secondary.

I never sent in the secondary here because I was waiting for my DO to finish his letter..he sent his in, but I still haven't finished the secondary.
I received a call from a 4th year medical student this evening, encouraging me to finish my application. What do you guys think?

I never sent in the secondary here because I was waiting for my DO to finish his letter..he sent his in, but I still haven't finished the secondary.
I received a call from a 4th year medical student this evening, encouraging me to finish my application. What do you guys think?

They are interested! I would submit ASAP