Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So today I received my verification email from VCOM-VC informing me that they have received my application and will review it. I currently have a sGPA of 3.42 and a cGPA of 3.57 (undergrad and graduate degree classes included in that) and an MCAT of 25 P. Do I have a shot at getting accepted to this school, because it is at the top of my list so I am really hoping I can get in. I am also currently working as an ER Tech so I have a lot of experience working in a health care setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So today I received my verification email from VCOM-VC informing me that they have received my application and will review it. I currently have a sGPA of 3.42 and a cGPA of 3.57 (undergrad and graduate degree classes included in that) and an MCAT of 25 P. Do I have a shot at getting accepted to this school, because it is at the top of my list so I am really hoping I can get in. I am also currently working as an ER Tech so I have a lot of experience working in a health care setting.
From the website: "A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24; however, at VCOM the MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and other personal qualities we see in each applicant. The overall GPA and the interview are considered of the most importance." I think this late in the cycle, your ER Tech experience will probably helpful in getting you a secondary app. Your MCAT score should be fine too. Just remember that they have a huge regional bias for the Appalachian states and people that want to practice in underserved/rural areas. Having those qualities are pretty important at VCOM I think.

Good luck!!

My friend has a 25 and had his interview last week. He's a great writer and submitted his secondaries in Aug though, so he really early. His GPA is lower than yours but his ECs are significantly better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on October 24th? I'm going to try and get to blacksburg early on Tuesday to have a look around (didn't get a chance to when I had my early interview).

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give an update on the school since I have not seen much activity on here. I just found out I got accepted today! I am so very excited, happy, and blessed! My interview was on October 16th. I wish everyone luck to those applying and interviewing at this school. If you have any questions about the interview or anything at all, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Woo! Class of 2017!

My bad, I meant to the Carolinas, I didn't know there were two sdn forms.. Complete on 10/23 with 27 MCAT, 3.96 overall GPA

Just had the interview today! Everyone there is extremely friendly and nice. The interviewers (both faculty and staff) were extremely nice and the interview itself was very conversational and not too formal. It definitely helped keep the stress down. I fell into the trap of how easy-going they are the last time I interviewed here so I hope I didn't make the same mistake this time. Even as you're walking through the building, you'd bump into the medical students and they too are extremely nice and talkative. I'd love to go here.

Just got an interview invite for Nov 12th!! So excited!

Just had the interview today! Everyone there is extremely friendly and nice. The interviewers (both faculty and staff) were extremely nice and the interview itself was very conversational and not too formal. It definitely helped keep the stress down. I fell into the trap of how easy-going they are the last time I interviewed here so I hope I didn't make the same mistake this time. Even as you're walking through the building, you'd bump into the medical students and they too are extremely nice and talkative. I'd love to go here.

Do you care to explain what you meant by falling into the trap of how easy going they were?

Hey guys, same old question. I am a senior neurobio with a 3.53 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, and a 3.7 nsGPA. I just got my mcat score back today and it was a 23O. I am disappointed with that score but it seems my GPA is at the average or a little above for some of the schools. I have over a year of shadowing a variety of physicians. I am currently working as a phlebotomist/lab tech at a private doctors office that sees 14,000 patients a year, so I am familiar with the medical setting and different insurance policies. I was also the scholarship chair of my fraternity and played a collegiate sport for 2 years. I just want to figure out my competitiveness to get an interview at VCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give an update on the school since I have not seen much activity on here. I just found out I got accepted today! I am so very excited, happy, and blessed! My interview was on October 16th. I wish everyone luck to those applying and interviewing at this school. If you have any questions about the interview or anything at all, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Woo! Class of 2017!
Congrats!!!! Welcome to the Class. :D

Just got my call for an interview later in the month of November at VCOM. My GPA is on the low end as is my MCAT but I figured I would apply anyway since I have excellent clinical experience - working for 2+ years as an ED scribe and have been the manager of the site since my 90th day of employment, on top of shadowing multiple surgeries and an ENT - as well as some other things that may set me apart - journal article up for publication in JEM and co-authoring a scribe handbook. Don't put all of your stock in GPA and MCAT scores, especially with DO schools. Apparently they must have liked my "extras" and/or responses for the supplemental application otherwise they wouldn't waste their time with an interview since I'm below their average GPA and MCAT scores.

Lots of luck to everyone who is into the interview process and those thinking of applying, don't get too crazy about GPA/MCAT stuff, just be the best applicant you can be.

Do you care to explain what you meant by falling into the trap of how easy going they were?

THe interviewers were extremely nice and I sort of got caught into how conversational the interview was. The first time I interviewed here, I'm pretty sure they got me off track and I didn't hit all of the points that I should've and answered the questions fully. I was much better prepared this time I think.

Interviewed Monday received acceptance call yesterday! Loved this school

What? How is that possible? I interviewed on MOnday too. what is your name I might remember you. I just called the admiss and they said the committee has not met for our interview group yet and it will be in another week. Did u interview at VA campus?

What? How is that possible? I interviewed on MOnday too. what is your name I might remember you. I just called the admiss and they said the committee has not met for our interview group yet and it will be in another week. Did u interview at VA campus?

Carolina Campus

Anybody find it interesting the VCOM's secondary and CUSOM's secondary are identical?

Anybody find it interesting the VCOM's secondary and CUSOM's secondary are identical?

Actually my healthcare questions were a little different from one another. CUSOM directly mentioned Affordable Care Act but VCOM didn't...but yeah, essentially they're identical.

Actually my healthcare questions were a little different from one another. CUSOM directly mentioned Affordable Care Act but VCOM didn't...but yeah, essentially they're identical.

I noticed that...It was interesting to see the first sentence was the same though :laugh:

CUSOM has Mattie Bendall running student affairs and she just came from VCOM-CC as their admission coordinator so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Ok cool, I got scared for a second. They told me that the next time the committee meets was going to be Nov. 8th and that I should find out by Nov. 12th their decision.

Carolina Campus

For those who have already interviewed, can you give examples of the type of questions asked, please? Maybe if you can share questions you wish you had better prepared for...questions we should definitely expect. Also, is the interview done more in a conversational style or asking questions from aacomas app? I have my interview on Nov 14 and this is my first interview, so any info would be helpful.

Does anyone also know if how long it takes to hear back from after interviewing?

For those who have already interviewed, can you give examples of the type of questions asked, please? Maybe if you can share questions you wish you had better prepared for...questions we should definitely expect. Also, is the interview done more in a conversational style or asking questions from aacomas app? I have my interview on Nov 14 and this is my first interview, so any info would be helpful.

How exciting! If you're at the Virginia Campus I guess I will see you on the 14th! My first interview as well.
I hear its relaxed and conversational. You should have a friend ask you some questions in a mock interview session if it has been a while since you have interviewed for something - makes it less stressful at least for me. My BF is a 5th year surgery resident so I had him ask me some questions this morning. Make sure you are honest and don't just say what you think they want to hear - I do interviews for an ER scribe site as the manager for the last 2 years and everyone says they want to help people...and? Get a different spin on that reason. Also make sure you're aware of what DOs learn - I've heard some go to DO schools interviews and not really want to go DO and made an idiot of themselves when they were asked about OMM and osteopathic principals.

Lots of luck!

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/vcom/survey/27
This survey contains a lot of common questions that have been asked over the years :)

How long from complete to interview invite?

Hi Guys. My application was received on 9/26. Still no reply for a secondary yet?

MCAT:25P
uGPA: 3.2
Graduate GPA: 4.00

lots of clinical experience to include setting up clinics in different third world countries

What are my chances? Anyone else still waiting for secondaries? It's been six weeks =(

Thank you.

Finally submitted my Secondary...after some technical issues...Keeping fingers crossed for an interview! VCOM-VA is 25 minutes from my house...I wouldn't have to move my family and I already work at the main rotation site!!! This just makes sense for me

Congrats. How long did it take after your primary to get a secondary? I've been waiting over one month now :( thank you

Congrats. How long did it take after your primary to get a secondary? I've been waiting over one month now :( thank you
Well I originally submitted my primary in July. I called the other day to discuss why I did not receive a secondary. I am missing one 300 level course (apparently my micro was 200 level) anyway they had also not revisited my summer courses. My sGPA went up as well as my cGPA. So I surpassed the requirements and they sent me the secondary Friday afternoon. So with my special circumstances it was 4 months! I had almost given up! I have not gotten a complete email yet but I assume that will come today or tomorrow.

If it is bothering you (I know it stresses me out) call Meghan. She is fantastic and very nice. She is married though, I asked...:laugh: I am sure she would let you know your status etc. The one thing about VCOM is you do not know where you stand unless you ask them. You have to follow-up with your application. Don't pester, but be persistent in a professional manner.

Just got my 'Complete' email...app is going to 'review'

....and yes I currently have nothing better to do than sit on this forum.....lol

Haha I do that when I don't have tests to study for or work to do. I cycle through some of the school forums that I interviewed at/ will be interviewing at.

My stats and stuff are in my MDApps on the side under my name.

Just got my 'Complete' email...app is going to 'review'

....and yes I currently have nothing better to do than sit on this forum.....lol

Is there anything we need to bring for the interview day? Perhaps one of those portfolio things?

Submitted secondary 11/6/2012, the same day I got the email to complete it.

How long did it take from secondary submission for interview request?

Stats: 27Q, sGPA 3.28, cGPA 3.48

Applied last year, submitted secondary, and no interview. However, GPAs and MCAT have gone up significantly since last cycle.

VCOM is my first choice so any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I think I got my invite 1 week after I submitted my secondary. I think I was complete around Sept 28th (I emailed them that day and they said I wasn't complete bc I didn't have my LORs but I had already sent it through interfolio) and I got a call on Oct. 9th for an II and I interviewed on Oct. 24th.

Submitted secondary 11/6/2012, the same day I got the email to complete it.

How long did it take from secondary submission for interview request?

Stats: 27Q, sGPA 3.28, cGPA 3.48

Applied last year, submitted secondary, and no interview. However, GPAs and MCAT have gone up significantly since last cycle.

VCOM is my first choice so any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

:thumbup: I just received my secondary app invite to the school yesterday (11/13)! Turned it in today (11/14). Here is to hoping for an interview call tomorrow (11/15)! I know..., I am a crazy optimist.:thumbup:

So I verified my aacomas and I got a letter of receipt on November 2nd. Today I got an emailing saying they might take up to three months to review my primary to determine if I should receive a secondary. Anybody else get that email?

So I verified my aacomas and I got a letter of receipt on November 2nd. Today I got an emailing saying they might take up to three months to review my primary to determine if I should receive a secondary. Anybody else get that email?

I got that email once