Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All true!

I'm with you on that front.... crickets over here but I am not giving up. It is discouraging but I have been at this for many years and I am not going to let this discourage me (even though with the passing months it gets significantly harder to concentrate on the present time of what I should be doing to improve TODAY and not let your mind wander to the future). It is hard to take the set backs especially when you really pour your heart into what you do and really want to show schools that you are not a "risk" but rather an asset. I certainly know that all I have done on this journey was not done in vain and has made me a better person through and through (just gotta keep up the faith and hope for that "one shot!")

Congrats to all who are getting interviews and got acceptances, I know you will all do awesome!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how full the class is?

I'd like to know about this as well. Also, for those who received interview invites, how long after submitting your secondary were you notified?

Don't know how full the class is. It took me maybe two weeks after submitting the secondary to get an II and then 2-3 weeks before I got my acceptance.

I sent in my deposit check several weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Which admissions department number do other people have luck of getting through with? I only get voicemail whenever I call and haven't had luck this time with getting a response from Whitney via email, which she typically is super on top of.

(The check still hasn't been deposited which is why I am worried they never received it)

I sent in my deposit check several weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. Which admissions department number do other people have luck of getting through with? I only get voicemail whenever I call and haven't had luck this time with getting a response from Whitney via email, which she typically is super on top of.

(The check still hasn't been deposited which is why I am worried they never received it)

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/admissions/staff-virginia.html

call each person until you get a response

I just got a call for my interview invite! I'm hoping someone cancels for monday! So far I'm scheduled for the 9th of January but I'd love to go as soon as I can!

Also just got the call and interview on January 9th!

Any interview assistance is greatly appreciated!

I just got a call for my interview invite! I'm hoping someone cancels for monday! So far I'm scheduled for the 9th of January but I'd love to go as soon as I can!

Congrats! good luck!...maybe some love today?

I have chosen to send my 1500 dollar deposit to VCOM. If I don't get into my state school, this will be where I matriculate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain the interview process to me? I'm confused about the three interviews. I've only interviewed once and it was with two professors simultaneously. Any info you can give would help a ton!

Can anyone explain the interview process to me? I'm confused about the three interviews. I've only interviewed once and it was with two professors simultaneously. Any info you can give would help a ton!
Basically what happens is that you have 2 separate interviews in the morning by faculty members, each about 30 minutes long. Then after lunch, you will be interviewed by a student. I don't believe the student has your file, they basically have a paper with a bunch of different scenarios and ask you what you would do in each situation.

Also... three 30 minute interview might seem long but it definitely goes fast. Like everybody says, relax and be yourself.

This may have been answered in here already, but can my final transcripts be sent in the spring when I graduate? And does that include transcripts from colleges i attended in the past, or do they need to be sent now?

Anybody know if the adcom will be meeting this Thursday, or did they already leave for holiday break?

Hi everyone. I submitted my primary and was offered a secondary 11/17, about a month ago. I haven't actually done the secondary because I have completed one interview already, got accepted to that school, and have two other ii at the moment. Is it worth it for me to even complete the secondary now? I am still somewhat interested, mostly because of location and systems based curriculum. 3.1 sGPA 3.5 overall 28R and I would be OOS. Basically, should I spend the money for this secondary so late in the game? Thanks :)

Congrats!!!! I hope to hear good news soon as well!!!! I am sure you are going to ROCK your interview!!! I am still eager to hear back, but we shall see (I am not sure if they will be sending out any more ii before the break..... if they are, it will make a VERY nice Christmas present!!!!)

Congrats!!!! I hope to hear good news soon as well!!!! I am sure you are going to ROCK your interview!!! I am still eager to hear back, but we shall see (I am not sure if they will be sending out any more ii before the break..... if they are, it will make a VERY nice Christmas present!!!!)

Thank y'all!!! I bet they still make some calls this week. They are setting other dates in January.

Does anyone know how many seats are left? How many students have accepted? Congrats on everyone being accepted!!

hello fellow doctors-to-be,

i was accepted to vcom-va a few months back--if anyone has any questions i will be happy to answer them, i've been trying to be good about getting back to people.

anyways, i wish everyone the best of luck and happy holidays! :)

hello fellow doctors-to-be,

i was accepted to vcom-va a few months back--if anyone has any questions i will be happy to answer them, i've been trying to be good about getting back to people.

anyways, i wish everyone the best of luck and happy holidays! :)

Hi ! I'm interviewing Jan 15, and was wondering what kind of interview questions they asked??

Thanks!

It's been awhile since I was accepted but I'll answer your question and try and steal the thunder from leila5221 :D

(I've been to 4 now so the questions kind of mesh together)

The interview questions revolved around your applications. The big thing is why DO and why medicine. The student interviewer asks you scenario questions.

Hi ! I'm interviewing Jan 15, and was wondering what kind of interview questions they asked??

Thanks!

Hey everyone!! I wish you all the best of luck with your applications and interviews. I am currently a third year student at VCOM and would be happy to answer any questions you all may have. Please feel free to PM me anytime. Also, I didn't interview at VCOM till late March and ended up wait listed. I didn't get in for the class of 2013 but was offered early acceptance for 2014. So no matter where you apply never give up hope!

Hey, I do have a question that I haven't been able to ask a DO student. DO schools accept students who have lower stats because of the holistic approach. I was wondering, do you know any students who had low scores, struggle tremendously in medical school? Are your peers competitive? For instance, I compare myself to students who are far more brilliant than I to push myself, I was wondering if that's the case here. And how has third year been? Have you done your surgery rotations yet?

Hey everyone!! I wish you all the best of luck with your applications and interviews. I am currently a third year student at VCOM and would be happy to answer any questions you all may have. Please feel free to PM me anytime. Also, I didn't interview at VCOM till late March and ended up wait listed. I didn't get in for the class of 2013 but was offered early acceptance for 2014. So no matter where you apply never give up hope!

Hey, I do have a question that I haven't been able to ask a DO student. DO schools accept students who have lower stats because of the holistic approach. I was wondering, do you know any students who had low scores, struggle tremendously in medical school? Are your peers competitive? For instance, I compare myself to students who are far more brilliant than I to push myself, I was wondering if that's the case here. And how has third year been? Have you done your surgery rotations yet?

I honestly do not know of any students in my class who had low scores and struggled tremendously in medical school. Some may have struggled with an independent topic or section, but I do not know of anyone who globally struggled through the didactic years and on boards. As for competitiveness, I think you will competitive peers no matter where you go (DO vs. MD). Every class will always have gunners, and most people in med school are type A and naturally competitive, which will push you to do better.

My third year has been great so far. First, its just nice to be out seeing patients and nice sitting in a classroom. Our third year gives us a strong mix of a variety of rotations both inpatient and outpatient. I have not had surgery yet. My surgery is in about a month. Hope these answer your questions!

Yes it does! I can't wait to try surgery. Hopefully it won't make me sick haha

I honestly do not know of any students in my class who had low scores and struggled tremendously in medical school. Some may have struggled with an independent topic or section, but I do not know of anyone who globally struggled through the didactic years and on boards. As for competitiveness, I think you will competitive peers no matter where you go (DO vs. MD). Every class will always have gunners, and most people in med school are type A and naturally competitive, which will push you to do better.

My third year has been great so far. First, its just nice to be out seeing patients and nice sitting in a classroom. Our third year gives us a strong mix of a variety of rotations both inpatient and outpatient. I have not had surgery yet. My surgery is in about a month. Hope these answer your questions!

I interviewed yesterday and really loved it! Are there any current students that could message me and let me know what they think of the program? I have been accepted at another school earlier in the cycle and I'm trying to get an idea of what students think of it.

Research...which person where you? I was the local one.

I interviewed yesterday and really loved it! Are there any current students that could message me and let me know what they think of the program? I have been accepted at another school earlier in the cycle and I'm trying to get an idea of what students think of it.

Are there any questions you have in particular? If you have a few please feel free to PM me, and I hope I can help

Ditto. Wednesday morning, I was sure I was going somewhere else. By the end of the day I wasn't so sure anymore. I really fell in love with VCOM that day.

Hey all,

I'm currently an MS-1 at the VA Campus. You can also feel free ask me any particular questions you have here and I'll do my best to answer them.

However, I will say that I was a Post-Bacc here, and so I didn't go through the usual application/interview process, but I can talk to my classmates who did and let you know what they say.

Congrats to all who have gotten acceptances! Will be glad to meet you in August! And to all who have yet to get the letter, keep your heads up and make sure the ADCOMs are informed of any updated grades, etc.

Last edited:
Interviewd on Wednesday and was really impressed with the facilities, curriculum, friendly staff/faculty/students, and the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area. VCOM just feels like the ideal place for my medical education. Hoping for good news sometime next week!

Hey all,

I'm currently an MS-1 at the VA Campus. You can also feel free to PM me any particular questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

However, I will say that I was a Post-Bacc here, and so I didn't go through the usual application/interview process, but I can talk to my classmates who did and let you know what they say.

Congrats to all who have gotten acceptances! Will be glad to meet you in August! And to all who have yet to get the letter, keep your heads up and make sure the ADCOMs are informed of any updated grades, etc.

I sent in my updated transcript which should be updated on Tuesday. Was on hold pending my fall course. Think I should send an email to say that my grades are in
and reiterate my interest in VCOM? I don't want to seem pushy but I'm also not from the Appalachian region and don't want to be passed over because of it. I'm accepted to a good school but this was one of my top choices from the beginning and I would love a chance to get to see it and potentially matriculate here.

I see some other posters here accepted to the school I am and would love to be in the tough position they are of deciding between the two ;)

I sent in my updated transcript which should be updated on Tuesday. Was on hold pending my fall course. Think I should send an email to say that my grades are in
and reiterate my interest in VCOM? I don't want to seem pushy but I'm also not from the Appalachian region and don't want to be passed over because of it. I'm accepted to a good school but this was one of my top choices from the beginning and I would love a chance to get to see it and potentially matriculate here.

I see some other posters here accepted to the school I am and would love to be in the tough position they are of deciding between the two ;)

Sure, I would just shoot them an email saying that your updated grades are on the way, and that you are still very interested in the school. Unless you have been emailing them every other day, I don't think it would hurt.

interviewing this monday. any advice on which hotel to stay at?? Im hoping that there is at least one relatively close to the school.

interviewing this monday. any advice on which hotel to stay at?? Im hoping that there is at least one relatively close to the school.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Christansburg. Only $74 with the VCOM rate. It must be brand new because everything looked immaculate.

Hey danaling12 or NeuroSpeed I have more questions for ya :D

Do they give us stethoscopes or do we have to buy our own?

Are there any talks of providing us with laptops or tablets? I know we need a PC and have to get it ourselves but this would make things easier.

Do you take part in research at VCOM? Are there abundant research opportunities?

Hey danaling12 or NeuroSpeed I have more questions for ya :D

Do they give us stethoscopes or do we have to buy our own?

Are there any talks of providing us with laptops or tablets? I know we need a PC and have to get it ourselves but this would make things easier.

Do you take part in research at VCOM? Are there abundant research opportunities?

Hey,

Yes, you get stethoscopes with your initials on them at the white coat ceremony. They are Red, and aren't the fanciest. You will do fine with them throughout medical school. If you want something else nicer, you'll have to get them yourself.

As far as laptops, I haven't even heard a peep about providing us with either. The last few years they have had a deal with Dell and a handful of "recommended" laptops that came with all the microsoft office software, etc. Seemed expensive at first, but in the end probably not too terrible. I already had my own from just last year, so I'm going to take it as far as I can. You can use a MAC for your day-to-day with no problems, but they use the ExamSoft software, and they don't support Mac's at school last I checked. That might be changing though.

Research: I am kind-a-sorta involved in some research right now. I wouldn't say there are abundant opportunities at all, but the school is really pushing to get more. It comes down to you having the initiative to meet the professors and get involved.

Hope that helps.

Hey,

I had my secondary verification email last month. I have not received a phone call yet though .. Should I be afraid? VCOM is my first choice and I would love to get in. Any advice or is it just a waiting game now? Do I still have a chance of making it into Class of 2017?

Hey,

I had my secondary verification email last month. I have not received a phone call yet though .. Should I be afraid? VCOM is my first choice and I would love to get in. Any advice or is it just a waiting game now? Do I still have a chance of making it into Class of 2017?

Sorry, but I have no idea. If you have updated grades and such I would shoot admissions an Email telling them that you have updated your grades with AACOMAS and that the campus is your top choice. Otherwise I feel it's just a waiting game now.

Sorry, but I have no idea. If you have updated grades and such I would shoot admissions an Email telling them that you have updated your grades with AACOMAS and that the campus is your top choice. Otherwise I feel it's just a waiting game now.

Can you update your transcript in AACOMAS? I didn't think you could post-submission. I was under the impression that you had to update each school individually, i.e. send a transcript.

Can you update your transcript in AACOMAS? I didn't think you could post-submission. I was under the impression that you had to update each school individually, i.e. send a transcript.

You send it to AACOMAS. From page 20 of the Instructions, found here:

"To update your Academic Record with new coursework, contact the registrar at the institution you are currently attending to request that an official transcript, showing the addition of the updated coursework, be forwarded to AACOMAS. All updated transcripts must be postmarked by April 1, 2013,*to be included in final processing."