This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted783484

The dielectric constant K of an unknown material is measured as a function of temperature. What can explain the sharp rise and subsequent slow decay of K as the temperature increases?

Graph is K vs T : it has a sharp increase at T1 and then starts to decrease

A- The solid material melts at T1 increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently increases its polarizability.
B- The solid material melts at T1 increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently reduces its polarizability.
C- The gaseous element ionizes at T1, increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently reduces its polarizability.
D- The gaseous element ionizes at T1, increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently increases its polarizability.

I narrowed it down to B and C by using K= Fvacuum/F medium and if K increases then F medium is decreasing so if the electrical force is decreasing it means that there are dipoles being formed so there is an increase in polarizability but then when K decreases F medium is increasing so the polarizability is decreasing. I'm not sure why it's not C because dipoles would form?

Answer is B. Part of the explanation says "ionization would decrease the polar nature of the gas as the gas would become more cationic and thus lack a negative pole" I'm just not sure that I understand this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The dielectric constant K of an unknown material is measured as a function of temperature. What can explain the sharp rise and subsequent slow decay of K as the temperature increases?

Graph is K vs T : it has a sharp increase at T1 and then starts to decrease

A- The solid material melts at T1 increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently increases its polarizability.
B- The solid material melts at T1 increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently reduces its polarizability.
C- The gaseous element ionizes at T1, increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently reduces its polarizability.
D- The gaseous element ionizes at T1, increasing its polarizability. Thermal motion subsequently increases its polarizability.

I narrowed it down to B and C by using K= Fvacuum/F medium and if K increases then F medium is decreasing so if the electrical force is decreasing it means that there are dipoles being formed so there is an increase in polarizability but then when K decreases F medium is increasing so the polarizability is decreasing. I'm not sure why it's not C because dipoles would form?

Answer is B. Part of the explanation says "ionization would decrease the polar nature of the gas as the gas would become more cationic and thus lack a negative pole" I'm just not sure that I understand this.

Thanks!
Can heat actually ionize a gas? As far as how polarizing it, I imagine once the material is polarized, it will align is polarity with the polarity of the capacitor, and thus, its ability to store charge will go down. That's what I recall from circuits. A diagram would really help.