EM sub-I at Maimonides or NYP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMedicine_Man

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered overlapping aways at NYP and Maimo… requested moving the dates and it's not an option.

So which one do I pick?

Honestly, it's all about the SLOE in my opinion. I've heard that Maimo has great teaching/attending exposure which I assume would translate into a better written SLOE; however, NYP is a large academic center and I believe their SLOE might carry more weight.

Also, as much as I'd love to work on my spanish, I'm concerned that my poor spanish skills might make it harder to shine at NYP.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Where would you rather go for residency?

There's your answer.

True… Well my top picks would be Beth Israel and St. Luke's for residency. I still haven't heard back from them about aways so I guess that's a bad sign.

Comparing Maimo vs NYP… I think I'd rather do Maimo for residency because it's a 3 year program and nearby Park Slope is a much nicer neighborhood than Washington Heights.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean I should repost this under EM sub forum or I should read the previous convos?

Comparing Maimo vs NYP… I think I'd rather do Maimo for residency because it's a 3 year program and nearby Park Slope is a much nicer neighborhood than Washington Heights.

Only thing that matters

Maimo is one of the busiest EDs I've ever seen on the interview trail. It's like beds on top of beds on top of beds on top of beds. It's a sea of patients. Probably a great rotation for clinical exposure.

I heard NYP Columbia is busy, too, but I haven't seen the ED personally.

Do you place value on an ED being busy? I'm not sure if people are saying that this is a good vs bad thing. Regardless as a student you probably won't get more than 3-4 patients max? Is it cause you have more cases to choose between?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app