This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m&msforvicky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

New to SDN and looking for some advice. I graduated with a 2.72 gpa but I'm looking to go to med school. I'm currently trying to get into a post-bacc program to boost my gpa and take what pre-med classes I didn't take in undergrad. I was biomedical so I've taken some of the pre-med courses but not all. I'm thinking I'll retake some of the classes I've already taken (especially those I earned a C or C- in).

I earned a C-/C in Gen Chem 1 and Orgo. I earned a C/C- in Physics 1 and 2. I'm planning on retaking all of these as well as taking Gen Chem 2 and Biochem. I earned a B- in Molecular Bio. I can take upper level bio classes but I'm not sure what to take to show that I'm dedicated and capable.

I haven't yet taken the MCAT. My GPA over my last two years in upper level molecular engineering courses was 3.6. I really just had a rough transition into school :/.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can help my application to get into an MD program (I'm also looking at DO schools but would rather do an MD)? Also what kinds of clinical/volunteer experiences should I be looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

You need to shadow doctors
volunteer with patients
do non-clinical volunteering as well.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.