Estimated Enrollment: 35% Male, 65% Female

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hear you. If that happens, I say we all point at them and laugh--whilst chanting.....Shallow Hal, Shallow Hal, Shallow Hal

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
agggghh! I thought I could, but i CANNOT handle 3 boys at one time....CrazyB, you are great w/compliments...Doc-cougars status begins at 40...right? lol...Canes-I have already been a victim of you snatching your compliments back, so believe me, I KNOW...lol

Now, i'm going to go study for a while, you guys have my head spinning...lol...men = DISRUPTIVE, i'm tellin ya!! didn't i say that already few dozen posts ago??

agggghh! I thought I could, but i CANNOT handle 3 boys at one time....CrazyB, you are great w/compliments...Doc-cougars status begins at 40...right? lol...Canes-I have already been a victim of you snatching your compliments back, so believe me, I KNOW...lol

Now, i'm going to go study for a while, you guys have my head spinning...lol...men = DISRUPTIVE, i'm tellin ya!! didn't i say that already few dozen posts ago??

It sounds like you let us disrupt you ;) hehe :laugh:

I'm sorry,

but am I the only one who is annoyed by this statistic. I don't a lot of people want to be in a profession that is dominated by the other gender. Maybe i'm being very shallow but statistics like this really put me off to the idea of pharmacy...

I guess i'm just being stupid but I really just cannot see myself working in such a female dominated profession. (well i'm guessing that it will eventually be female dominated, I think i read somewhere that its still majority male in the field.)

anyway...does anyone have any other thoughts on this.

I wouldn't complain having so many females in the class / profession .. *wink* .. lol

I'm sorry,

but am I the only one who is annoyed by this statistic. I don't a lot of people want to be in a profession that is dominated by the other gender. Maybe i'm being very shallow but statistics like this really put me off to the idea of pharmacy...

I guess i'm just being stupid but I really just cannot see myself working in such a female dominated profession. (well i'm guessing that it will eventually be female dominated, I think i read somewhere that its still majority male in the field.)

anyway...does anyone have any other thoughts on this.[/QUO

Any particular reason why? When I was in high school I almost applied to Ga Tech instead of UM, and I thought the ratio was pretty good (70% male - 30% female). :thumbup:

I'm sorry,

but am I the only one who is annoyed by this statistic. I don't know a lot of people that want to be in a profession that is dominated by the other gender. Maybe i'm being very shallow but statistics like this really put me off to the idea of pharmacy...

anyway...does anyone have any other thoughts on this.

Right now, there are more females in the profession, even though I don't know by how much.

But what's wrong with working with females? Have you had bad experiences with the women in your life?

Right now, there are more females in the profession, even though I don't know by how much.

But what's wrong with working with females? Have you had bad experiences with the women in your life?

Really?
I remember a yahoo article that said that Pharmacy was the best career for women, although just over half of them were male. This was posted like a couple of mothis ago.

No, I haven't had too many problems working with women. I would just, much rather prefer an even balance than go to a school that is dominated by women, only to enter a field that is dominated by women. I think it's honestly one of the reasons I never seriously considered nursing

Really?
I remember a yahoo article that said that Pharmacy was the best career for women, although just over half of them were male. This was posted like a couple of mothis ago.

No, I haven't had too many problems working with women. I would just, much rather prefer an even balance than go to a school that is dominated by women, only to enter a field that is dominated by women. I think it's honestly one of the reasons I never seriously considered nursing

Why does there need to be an even balance? If everyone in the work place is well-qualified and it happens to have more females than males, what's wrong with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Women, on average, work less than men (Full Time Equivalents) which will offset some of the surplus coming from all these new schools! (A presentation done in one of our lectures showed that it actually will balance it out completely).

Women, on average, work less than men (Full Time Equivalents) which will offset some of the surplus coming from all these new schools! (A presentation done in one of our lectures showed that it actually will balance it out completely).

Did it give examples of say, what percentage work full time opposed to 20 hours or less? Just curious. I wonder if companies or hospitals are less likely to hire women as full time even if they want it.

Did it give examples of say, what percentage work full time opposed to 20 hours or less? Just curious. I wonder if companies or hospitals are less likely to hire women as full time even if they want it.

It was a report on average work hours put in weekly.

Similar to this report:
"Consequently, the FTE contribution for women is approximately 0.85 across these ages (versus 1.0 or greater for men)"

from http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/533488_5

We have to log into see that? I have an account so I can see it, but not everyone can.

hmm, it let me see it when I clicked the google result

try google searching: full time equivalents women pharmacists men hours

I guess this helps me, eases my concerns a little.

Anyone else have any encouraging statistics?

People I've met from Arizona so far have been mostly nice. And I think they have a lot of pretty girls there :laugh: But, I'm saying that based on two girls I know from Arizona.

Hey, if you want an easy/trampish girl, Scottsdale is the place to be. ASU also has tons of them, although I find that they all sort of look the same. But hey, some people are into the drunken Paris Hilton wannabes.

IMO, (and I am a native Arizonan), people here are shallow/superficial and driven by money. Lots of people are moving here every year and, unfortunately, the less-than-skilled urban planners are still building the city like it is some sort of boom town. There is no real urban center, as everything is really spread out...and when I say spread out, I mean it takes more than an hour to go from one side to the other. You better have a car as the public transit system pretty much sucks anywhere outside of the downtown area.

The changing demographics (i.e. immigrants from Mexico) makes for an interesting mix of people and well-defined "areas" to live (or not live). The immigration issue makes it tense here with people regularly standing on the corner of Central Ave. and Adams with signs saying that Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a scandalous guy. On the flip side, you have a whole contingent of redneck people who constantly hate on the immigrants and will make all sorts of racial slurs in public, especially when they are drinking, while they listen to Keith Urban's "boot in your ass, it's the American way" song. :laugh:

You have the super liberal California transplants (think bleach blonde with flip-flops) mixed with the super conservative Christian/Mormon population and it really gets interesting.

In addition, the "culture" that you would expect from a large city is more than lacking, although in recent years people have been working on changing that. Of course, I am biased...but I can honestly say that Arizona is NOT the same as when I grew up.

Hey, if you want an easy/trampish girl, Scottsdale is the place to be. ASU also has tons of them, although I find that they all sort of look the same. But hey, some people are into the drunken Paris Hilton wannabes.

IMO, (and I am a native Arizonan), people here are shallow/superficial and driven by money. Lots of people are moving here every year and, unfortunately, the less-than-skilled urban planners are still building the city like it is some sort of boom town. There is no real urban center, as everything is really spread out...and when I say spread out, I mean it takes more than an hour to go from one side to the other. You better have a car as the public transit system pretty much sucks anywhere outside of the downtown area.

The changing demographics (i.e. immigrants from Mexico) makes for an interesting mix of people and well-defined "areas" to live (or not live). The immigration issue makes it tense here with people regularly standing on the corner of Central Ave. and Adams with signs saying that Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a scandalous guy. On the flip side, you have a whole contingent of redneck people who constantly hate on the immigrants and will make all sorts of racial slurs in public, especially when they are drinking, while they listen to Keith Urban's "boot in your ass, it's the American way" song. :laugh:

You have the super liberal California transplants (think bleach blonde with flip-flops) mixed with the super conservative Christian/Mormon population and it really gets interesting.

In addition, the "culture" that you would expect from a large city is more than lacking, although in recent years people have been working on changing that. Of course, I am biased...but I can honestly say that Arizona is NOT the same as when I grew up.

One girl I know from school is from some place around phoenix. The other girl I know from undergrad is from Sierra Vista. Do you know much about people from those places?

We have a lot of rednecks and conservative people too, but it depends on the area of the state. Once you get away from small towns a little bit, it's just like any other place in the U.S.

One girl I know from school is from some place around phoenix. The other girl I know from undergrad is from Sierra Vista. Do you know much about people from those places?

We have a lot of rednecks and conservative people too, but it depends on the area of the state. Once you get away from small towns a little bit, it's just like any other place in the U.S.

Sierra Vista is where the base is. I have a friend that lives out there. I think most there are military. Other than that, I can't really say much about it. I imagine there is not a lot to do there, though.

Sierra Vista is where the base is. I have a friend that lives out there. I think most there are military. Other than that, I can't really say much about it. I imagine there is not a lot to do there, though.

Yeah, the girl from there is an army kid. She is really pretty :) and she's really smart too :thumbup:

She and that girl from phoenix sort of look alike sometimes. But people can definitely tell that they look different.

In my opinion, they both look a little French. The "army kid" girl is actually half French. I'm not sure about the other one.

Fort Huachuca, where I did my AIT...
Sierra Vista is such a POS dump.

Then it's a mystery how such a pretty girl came from there :laugh:

I thought I fell in love with her the first time I met her :)

Thats not a good enough excuse bob! What is the real reason?

I think I still might be in love with my ex-girlfriend, and she says she loves me too. I'm just not sure I want to let her go completely.

that is HAWT!!! I hope I can meet a racer/ pharmacist women. game over man game over. lol

I think I still might be in love with my ex-girlfriend, and she says she loves me too. I'm just not sure I want to let her go completely.

:cool: :(

I know how you feel.

I guess I won't be meeting my future husband in pharm school

:laugh:

lol maybe youll meet a dentist instead ;)

I better meet someone. I'm getting old lol. I'm 25 now and by the time I get out of pharm school I'll be 29. And dating in pharm school will probably be hard unless you are dating someone else who is in professional school that knows what you are going through and will understand if you can't spend a lot of time together. ;)

I better meet someone. I'm getting old lol. I'm 25 now and by the time I get out of pharm school I'll be 29. And dating in pharm school will probably be hard unless you are dating someone else who is in professional school that knows what you are going through and will understand if you can't spend a lot of time together. ;)

yeah, Im hoping to find love in pharmacy school. Im going to a school with a DO, PT, PA, PharmD and a DDS (2011) program. Ill have my picking of health professional women.

yeah, Im hoping to find love in pharmacy school. Im going to a school with a DO, PT, PA, PharmD and a DDS (2011) program. Ill have my picking of health professional women.

You're gonna see so many pretty girls. I know I did during my first semester :laugh: But it was hard to see the same girl twice if I didn't know her schedule at all.