This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

careerchanger77

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any of you know of any primarily Evening / Weekend Part-Time Post Bacc programs for Career Changers other than the ones below that are do-able while working a job?

So far I know of the following post bacc programs mostly Night / Weekend courses:

Harvard Extension School (HES)
UPenn pre-med post bacc
UC Berkeley Extension <-- Not sure how well-regarded this program is, though, by Ad Comms. Has anyone had experience?

Note: I'm looking mostly at ones that are for Career Changers who don't have any of the science pre-reqs.

What other post bacc programs are there that allow for part-time classes and part-time work with mostly night or weekend courses?
 
1. identify colleges and universities near you
2. one at a time, find their extension/evening/open admissions web pages
3. repeat until you find an option that doesn't require you to relocate and find a new job
 
Thanks for your advice, Dr. Midlife - I appreciate it! Unfortunately, I already checked all of the 4 years universities within an hour driving distance from where I live, and there aren't any evening / weekend undergrad courses in the core sciences (yikes). That would have been my first choice by far.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm either going to have to:

A) Stay local and take daytime classes while working part time / freelancing (luckily my corporate profession is one where freelance / contract work is possible but tends to be really low paying vs. the full time management positions. I probably wouldn't be making much as a freelancer part-time, but I'd have something to put on my resume to fill the gap potentially if post bacc / pre-med doesn't work out)

or B) Relocate to an area where evening / weekend core science classes are available and find a new part or full time job there (safer option than C below. same as above re: hedging bets and having a "fallback" to prior career in addition to being able to earn decent extra money for school)

or C) Relocate to do a full time program (not preferred - too many eggs in one basket if I don't do well in post bacc classes and need to drop out for whatever reason. I'm nervous about ending up program-less, job-less, and have moved to another state if the post bacc doesn't work out)

I'm leaning towards A or B at the moment but haven't completely ruled out C. What would you do if you aren't able to find evening / weekend classes in your area and only have the 3 options above?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad