This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOthings

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I searched for information on this, but the closest I could find was a post in 2007 that didn't answer my question.

I am currently a medical student and O-1 in the Army Reserve's MDSSP program. As part of the program, I am attached to APMC down in Georgia. I've read about the EFMB, and it is something I'm interested in trying for if possible. It seems like I would need to find a local unit that is testing, and to join them. Since I have very little experience with the military, I wanted to know if anyone here had any advice on how to do that. Would it be inappropriate to call or contact local units directly to ask when they are testing next? Ideally, I'd find a local unit, get the curriculum for the test, and practice the skills over a few months with peers before testing with the unit.

Anyone have experience w/ EFMB in the USAR? I assume I would need to find a medical unit.

I'm close to New York City if it makes a difference.

Edit: I currently have my NREMT-B and CPR, a good APFT, and should have weapons qualifications by the end of the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.medtrng.net/webtemplate/announcements.htm and http://medtrng.net/webtemplate/index.htm have some references. The links from the announcements are broken but they do list the relevant STP, FM's, and ST's to prepare. I have not personally participated but observed. Your local units are not likely conducting EFMB themselves but travelling to a regional location to participate. Contacting local units with Medical assets is a great idea - but Reserve units are sometimes difficult to contact.

Every EFMB I have observed had Reservists participating. Check the requirement to have someone from your unit with you as a 'sponsor'. I'm not sure what it's called or what support they are supposed to provide. You have to have had a record PT test and weapons qualification recently to participate - but you knew that. Make sure your unit can provide you the required packing list items. Get in shape rucking, it will help for the final day. Most of what they test you on is taught in the early days of training/qualification/preparation. Use all study sessions efficiently and pay attention to every detail.

Google EFMB Tracker for the task lists and representative schedules. Try to contact the Test Control Office via AKO information for locations and dates... and how to get a slot allocated for you. The link from the index above provides some names and contact numbers.

Edit: If you need access to the relevant publications use the APD.ARMY.MIL website.
Edit 2: Will your unit fund your travel or will you need PTDY Orders? Start working that now with your unit. A number of AD participants are forced to complete EFMB on PTDY Orders. The medical students I know that participated did it in December M3 year. Though if you have time in the summer you could do it then too.

Last edited:
Hi SDN!

I searched for information on this, but the closest I could find was a post in 2007 that didn't answer my question.

I am currently a medical student and O-1 in the Army Reserve's MDSSP program. As part of the program, I am attached to APMC down in Georgia. I've read about the EFMB, and it is something I'm interested in trying for if possible. It seems like I would need to find a local unit that is testing, and to join them. Since I have very little experience with the military, I wanted to know if anyone here had any advice on how to do that. Would it be inappropriate to call or contact local units directly to ask when they are testing next? Ideally, I'd find a local unit, get the curriculum for the test, and practice the skills over a few months with peers before testing with the unit.

Anyone have experience w/ EFMB in the USAR? I assume I would need to find a medical unit.

I'm close to New York City if it makes a difference.

Edit: I currently have my NREMT-B and CPR, a good APFT, and should have weapons qualifications by the end of the summer.
If you do decide to go for the EFMB, know that the biggest problem people have, by far, is with the ruck march. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most don't even make it to the road march because the attrition prior to that is so high. Prep for the 12 mile road march and test yourself about two months prior to your scheduled EFMB on an actual 12 miler with full weight. If you make it then just ruck periodically to stay in shape and avoid injury. Find an NCO with a combat MOS or recent Air Assault School graduate - they are familiar with the 12 mile < 3 hours. If you get yourself into decent shape, not overweight, or extremely short, the road march is more mental than physical. You might even find an ROTC Cadet at a local university prepping for Air Assault School you could train with for the road march. Day and Nigh Land Navigation with an ROTC unit might be beneficial if you won't learn it at your unit training.

The EFMB trackers available online (Ft Hood, 10th Mtn, 82nd...) provide actual failure data for each event. As a Med student your struggles will likely be with hands on 'soldier' tasks rather than 'book' tasks like the test on day one if you have read the referenced materials.

If you are able find dates and locations for EFMB Qualification post them here. Others might be interested.

Land nav is going to be a killer for most medical people. I'm not sure where you're going to learn the skills to pass that one. I think that you'll be fine with the ruck if you spend several months prepping to run a half-marathon with a 35-pound backpack. The written test is based on the publications below.

Here are some test dates that I found:
Fort Bragg, NC, 23 Feb 2017 - 09 Mar 2017
Fort Dix, NJ, 18 April 2017 - 02 May 2017
JBER, AK, 20 April 2017 - 05 May 2017
Fort Campbell, KY, 09 Jun 2017 - 22 Jun 2017
Fort Carson, CO, 14 Jul 2017 - 28 Jul 2017
Fort Drum, NY, 17 Aug 2017 - 31 Aug 2017
JBLM, WA, 14 Sept 2017 - 28 Sept 2017

POC is [email protected]

You will need the following publications, most of which can be found through AKO or occasionally Google:

AMEDDC&S PAM 350-10 publication that governs the EFMB program
ATP 4-02.46 AHS to detainees
ATP 4-25.12 Unit Field Sanitation Teams
STP 8-68W13-SM-TG 68W SOLDIER'S MANUAL
STP 21-1-SMCT Soldiers Manual of Common Tasks Warrior Skills Level 1
EFMB Training Workbook

Reactions: 1 user