Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
seriously.....you were accepted to LUCOM.....sorry if I sound surprised....I'm applying there with a 22. sGPA 3.65. This gives me a lot of encouragement!

BTW...Congratulations, I can only hope to be so blessed to get an acceptance this cycle. The more I hear from people on SDN and hear stories like your's I think I have a solid shot.

Its not over for us underdogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real lol.

Make sure you get all those 2's out immediately!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Shocked to hear this from you
Honestly, the person's mcat score is horrific. Most schools aren't going to take the risk of enrolling a student that is at high risk of failing out, failing the boards, or having trouble during rotations. All of which are moderately to some extent related to a poor mcat score. Truth is that many schools aren't going to give them a chance. LMU may not be stat driven but they did manage a 3.5/27 last year. And WVSOM is a tough nut to get into unless you're strongly pushing for rural primary care throughout your app or are from WV.

Hey Guys! I just wanted to keep everyone updated on my progress.... As some of you know I recently had my app verified and am now getting secondaries!

secondaries
PCOM-GA----secondary sent
WVSOM-------secondary sent
MUCOM-------secondary in progress post review (finishing tomorrow)
LMU-DCOM--secondary sent
ACOM---------secondary sent post review

waiting to hear from
DMU
KYCOM
all three VCOM
OUCOM
LUCOM

rejected
CUCOM

Stop saying CUCOM, it's CUSOM.
That's probably why you got rejected there.
Just kidding around, but yea, it's CUSOM.
Good luck (Taken reference).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the person's mcat score is horrific. Most schools aren't going to take the risk of enrolling a student that is at high risk of failing out, failing the boards, or having trouble during rotations. All of which are moderately to some extent related to a poor mcat score. Truth is that many schools aren't going to give them a chance. LMU may not be stat driven but they did manage a 3.5/27 last year. And WVSOM is a tough nut to get into unless you're strongly pushing for rural primary care throughout your app or are from WV.

Well, I'd agree that your mcat score is somewhat related to how well you do in school and on the boards.. but truth is I maybe studied for 2 weeks before I took the mcat. I know my score was low and if I didn't get in this year I was planning on actually studying for the test, improving my score, and reapplying.

Last edited:
Well, I'd agree that your mcat score is somewhat related to how well you do in school and on the boards.. but truth is I maybe studied for 2 weeks before I took the mcat. I was busy playing in the NCAA national tennis tournament and becoming a 5 time all american. So, yes I would've liked to do better but can't say I regret spending that time competing rather than studying. I know my score was low and if I didn't get in this year I was planning on actually studying for the test, improving my score, and reapplying.

Why not go for tennis...? Just saying...

I wonder what MCAT score really starts to show success in med school. Or, otherwise what score starts to show difficulty passing classes and boards. Obviously lots of people have made it into medical school with very low MCAT scores. I wonder what percentage of those people passed their boards and became competent physicians. I mean if we think of the hundreds of people opting for the Caribbean route because of sub 24 MCAT scores, many of them are passing their boards and getting through classes fine. (Not talking about matching....thats a whole different story) There are only so many seats in US med schools. There has to be a way to screen people out. My question is, how much of the MCAT is more based on weeding out than actual indicators of success. *Now I'm not saying that the MCAT isn't relevant or an indicator, because anything that tests memory, intellectual aptitude, and shear studying of material is going to indicate someones ability. I just wonder what that magic number really is.

*sorry for my rambling and unorganized thoughts;)

The findings are hard to say especially with the tests being so different in difficulty and content these days.

But chances are if you cannot break a 24 after multiple tries then you'll be at risk of certain complications including failing out.

It's not that were saying that all low Mcat scores will drop out. It's more like 95% chance of passing and doing well as opposed to say, 70-80%.

The findings are hard to say especially with the tests being so different in difficulty and content these days.

But chances are if you cannot break a 24 after multiple tries then you'll be at risk of certain complications including failing out.
Considering that seems to be the common score that many med schools tend to list as that "competitive" number you are probably right

agreed. i'm sure at some schools (ie Harvard, etc) they would potentially pick a candidate who took the test once and got a 35 versus a candidate that took it once and got a 24, then again and got a 30, then again and got a 35, but overall i think schools just want to know that this is worth it to you. if you take it three times and get a 24, 25, and a 24, they know that you either just didn't study anymore or didn't ask for the help you needed in order to learn HOW to study enough/in the correct way to better your score.

if that makes sense.... it's moreso improvement in the MCAT than it is just straight scores IMO. now if you get a 12 or something the first time and then get a 27, they may question why you EVER took it in the first place, but for the most part i think (especially DO) schools just want to see improvement as an indicator of motivation and ability to improve more than sheer intelligence.

Considering that seems to be the common score that many med schools tend to list as that "competitive" number you are probably right

Who knows honestly, I'm doubtful anything means anything these days. I went from scoring 28-31 to getting a 26 on the real thing and even then I'm calling bs on whether it predicts anything more than whether you're able to get lucky with familiar content.

Reactions: 1 users

It's not that were saying that all low Mcat scores will drop out. It's more like 95% chance of passing and doing well as opposed to say, 70-80%.
Well, it was my first time taking it. Even though I willing to bet I studied more than most.....in retrospect, I think I focused on the wrong areas and failed to get into the "down and dirty" aspects of the material. If I have to take it again, I am confident that I will score much better. This was the first test I have ever REALLY had to study for. Learning how to study for that amount of material, unfortunately started the day I studied for the MCAT instead of during college.

Who knows honestly, I'm doubtful anything means anything these days. I went from scoring 28-31 to getting a 26 on the real thing and even then I'm calling bs on whether it predicts anything more than whether you're able to get lucky with familiar content.
Absolutely I was scoring 25, and even a 30 here and there. I was tutoring a buddy that was taking it the same day as me. I helped him memorize all the equations and we went through FL's together. He thought for sure I was going to score a 30 haha. It ended up, him scoring a 26 and me scoring a 22. I think luck and many other factors really come into play besides just prep and ability. At least I'd like to think so

Members don't see this ad :)
I always figured you would tell people to avoid applying there at all. For future UD's, will you recommend LUCOM as part of their school list?

Sorry, but you're kind of contradicting yourself to write what you have about the school, and then give somebody encouragement to attend.

I always figured you would tell people to avoid applying there at all. For future UD's, will you recommend LUCOM as part of their school list?

Sorry, but you're kind of contradicting yourself to write what you have about the school, and then give somebody encouragement to attend.
I know I wouldn't...

Ugh. I got a 21 on the MCAT. :'( Though I'm continuing my applications anyway. I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, though, tbh, I'd probably prefer a DO school as I really like the DO philosophy.

About me:

24 y/o male
first in family to attend high school, much less graduate
family lives below FPL
MA in German studies
BA with honors in German studies

have worked 3 years as what amounts to a lab tech for freshmen/organic chem labs at my university
I have teaching experience (not your typical "TA" experience, either)

I will soon be interviewing for a part-time adjunct professor position, so on the off chance I get that, that's something else to add. Haha.

Right now I have no shadowing experience, though my Dr. said he'd be open to it and to call his office to set up a time. I've not yet submitted the AACOMAS or AMCAS applications b/c I'm waiting for folks to submit my LORs and I'm waiting to hear from AACOMAS about my application fee waiver.

Last edited:
Ugh. I got a 21 on the MCAT. :'( Though I'm continuing my applications anyway. I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, though, tbh, I'd probably prefer a DO school as I really like the DO philosophy.

About me:

24 y/o male
family lives below FPL
MA in German studies
sGPA
have worked 3 years as what amounts to a lab tech for freshmen/organic chem labs at my university

I will soon be interviewing for a part-time adjunct professor position, so on the off chance I get that, that's something else to add. Haha.

Right now I have no shadowing experience, though my Dr. said he'd be open to it and to call his office to set up a time. I've not yet submitted the AACOMAS or AMCAS applications b/c I'm waiting for folks to submit my LORs and I'm waiting to hear from AACOMAS about my application fee waiver.

Wouldn't suggest wasting time on the AMCAS.

You must shadow ASAP!

From the sounds of it, it's almost as if LUCOM is below a low tier/new DO.... somewhere between Caribbean and the other DO schools.

I don't know enough about it to make much of an opinion, however if multiple on multiple on multiple people on here are harping against LUCOM as they do against Caribbean, you can bet your hiney I am not applying there... i'd rather take another gap year than apply there if there is that much negativity.

About me:

24 y/o male
family lives below FPL
MA in German studies
sGPA

If you haven't already put in secondaries for your MD schools, I'd suggest not doing it. I highly doubt you will get any interview invites with a 21. Just trying to be realistic. It's also going to be incredibly hard to even get into DO schools with a 21.

No shadowing? 21 MCAT? What is your sGPA? The chances are not looking very good at all. I would almost suggest you not continue applying this cycle, save all those application fees, volunteer (you didn't mention any volunteering) and shadow over the next year and apply day 1 next cycle

About me:

24 y/o male
family lives below FPL
MA in German studies
sGPA

With a 21 MCAT and little to no medical/shadowing experiences you have a very little chance of getting in. What is your GPA looking like. Plus are you URM. Not trying to be a downer or pessimistic. I want you to have a serious opinion of your chances. I wouldn't spend the money if I were you this late in the game. If you get into fee assistance you can always submit your app, but like I said this late in the game your looking at verifying your app around late december. It is taking aacomas about 6 weeks to verify. You mentioned that you were not ready yet, so who knows when you'll actually submit to be verified. I'm sorry, but it would be a different story if you had applied earlier and had much more experiences related to healthcare.

From the sounds of it, it's almost as if LUCOM is below a low tier/new DO.... somewhere between Caribbean and the other DO schools.

I don't know enough about it to make much of an opinion, however if multiple on multiple on multiple people on here are harping against LUCOM as they do against Caribbean, you can bet your hiney I am not applying there... i'd rather take another gap year than apply there if there is that much negativity.

If you haven't already put in secondaries for your MD schools, I'd suggest not doing it. I highly doubt you will get any interview invites with a 21. Just trying to be realistic. It's also going to be incredibly hard to even get into DO schools with a 21.

No shadowing? 21 MCAT? What is your sGPA? The chances are not looking very good at all. I would almost suggest you not continue applying this cycle, save all those application fees, volunteer (you didn't mention any volunteering) and shadow over the next year and apply day 1 next cycle

Since I got a fee reduction for the MCAT, there's no application fee for the AMCAS application (Idk about secondaries, if I'd even get that far), and I'm waiting to hear from AACOMAS about their fee waiver. I've not done any volunteering, mostly due to grad school and work. My mother has some mental health issues which make doing things outside the house difficult. I know I'm cutting it really close. Le sigh...

For someone who has almost utterly no change elsewhere? Go ahead. It's a last ditch recommendation to a person who likely will not get any other acceptances elsewhere.

Since I got a fee reduction for the MCAT, there's no application fee for the AMCAS application (Idk about secondaries, if I'd even get that far), and I'm waiting to hear from AACOMAS about their fee waiver. I've not done any volunteering, mostly due to grad school and work. My mother has some mental health issues which make doing things outside the house difficult. I know I'm cutting it really close. Le sigh...
Really...I'm trying to save you the trouble. Your going to have to take a gap year. You have no medical experience, you have no shadowing experience, you have no volunteering, and your MCAT is a 21. You still haven't told us your GPA. I'm honestly trying to help. You should take a gap year and work on your ECs. Even if you do get some shadowing and a few volunteering, your app is going to show that you have no history with the profession and just recently "on a whim" decided to app. At least that is going to be how it looks to admin.

No shadowing, no volunteering, 21 MCAT, and not being verified until November?

Your chances at MD are pretty much non-existent, and your chances at DO are very, very slim.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the fee waiver only eligible for one cycle? So if you use it now, you can't use it next year. And you'll need to build your application significantly to apply next year because you really have no shot right now. Start shadowing and volunteering NOW, retake the MCAT and get a higher score, submit your primary on June 1, and use the fee waiver then.

Really...I'm trying to save you the trouble. Your going to have to take a gap year. You have no medical experience, you have no shadowing experience, you have no volunteering, and your MCAT is a 21. You still haven't told us your GPA. I'm honestly trying to help. You should take a gap year and work on your ECs. Even if you do get some shadowing and a few volunteering, your app is going to show that you have no history with the profession and just recently "on a whim" decided to app. At least that is going to be how it looks to admin.

Concur, as goro would say.

+ you are wasting TIME. Not just money. You are spending time doing primaries and secondaries (if you get one).
It isn't easy aplying. and if you don't get in this cycle, you will have to show somekind of improvement by next cycle (changing up PS and other things also).

For someone who has almost utterly no change elsewhere? Go ahead. It's a last ditch recommendation to a person who likely will not get any other acceptances elsewhere.
So, it seems like you indeed would recommend LUCOM at least as a last resort backup for underdogs. If someone with say, 3.3/25 only has an acceptance to LUCOM after applying broadly and early, will you give them a thumbs up to attend?

So, it seems like you indeed would recommend LUCOM at least as a last resort backup for underdogs. If someone with say, 3.3/25 only has an acceptance to LUCOM after applying broadly and early, will you give them a thumbs up to attend?
Why do you care about serenade's advice so much?? I have read all the beef and all the complaints about LUCOM and from what I can gather it stems almost entirely from their stances on religion and evolution. I am a Christian and have little problem with their ideals. (except for maybe their overt religious judgements on people that aren't Christians....I have a problem with Christians applying their judgements on people that don't profess the same beliefs. Yet I'm not even sure that this occurs. I have only heard it from SDN.) I am willing to give them a shot and find out for myself. I try really hard to form my own opinions about people. Many times (if not most times) I find out that the claims are WAY over exaggerated and sometimes false. That is why if they invite me for interview, I will go and talk to them personally.

Serenade is the new NickNaylor. His word is law! :rolleyes:

I wonder what MCAT score really starts to show success in med school. Or, otherwise what score starts to show difficulty passing classes and boards. Obviously lots of people have made it into medical school with very low MCAT scores. I wonder what percentage of those people passed their boards and became competent physicians. I mean if we think of the hundreds of people opting for the Caribbean route because of sub 24 MCAT scores, many of them are passing their boards and getting through classes fine. (Not talking about matching....thats a whole different story) There are only so many seats in US med schools. There has to be a way to screen people out. My question is, how much of the MCAT is more based on weeding out than actual indicators of success. *Now I'm not saying that the MCAT isn't relevant or an indicator, because anything that tests memory, intellectual aptitude, and shear studying of material is going to indicate someones ability. I just wonder what that magic number really is.

*sorry for my rambling and unorganized thoughts;)
I wonder what @Goro 's thoughts are on this? Obviously he has insider information....I just wonder if he's willing to disclose some of the details;)

I think Verbal scores have been statistically shown to correlate w/ Board scores in Allopathic programs.
Hi all! This is my first time posting on sdn. I was wondering what schools have MCAT minimum requirements pre-interview.

I unfortunately scored a 21 on the MCAT. However, I have a 3.7GPA and a 3.6sGPA. I have a lot of research experience, successfully played a collegiate sport for 4 years, have about 500 hours of shadowing experience with MDs and DOs, hundreds of community service hours, and am from a rural community, among other things. I was also recently accepted to LUCOM!!! I had a great interview and loved the school and would be very happy there, but I am looking forward to hearing back from other schools.

I applied to:
CUCOM- denied because of MCAT
NSUCOM- completed secondary
PCOM- completed secondary
LECOM
VCOM-carolinas and virginia- completed secondary
LUCOM- accepted

Do I have a shot at more ii's?

Did you receive a CUSOM Secondary?

Also congrats on LUCOM...they get a lot of hate on SDN but they get a lot of money from donors and supporters so they will be successful in the long round. Their admissions committee believe you can be a physician and thats all it takes IMO. Also LUCOM attracts many types of people based on the religious affiliation. They housed the NCAA XC champion which is pretty amazing!

No, I'd tell them not to apply to begin with. Otherwise Id probably tell them to reapply next year. A person with a 21 however and no indication of preparing for a retake is a different story.

Honestly though, I'm not so jaded as to tell someone without any option at all to give up what is almost certainly their only chance at becoming a doctor.

At my MUCOM interview, the presenter told us research has shown those who score 7 on verbal, 40% wont pass their boards the first time. But then he said, those who score a 6, do the best on their clinical rotations. Obviously he was making contradicting statements to show that correlations like this don't really mean that much.

Reactions: 4 users
I think Verbal scores have been statistically shown to correlate w/ Board scores in Allopathic programs.

Did you receive a CUSOM Secondary?

Also congrats on LUCOM...they get a lot of hate on SDN but they get a lot of money from donors and supporters so they will be successful in the long round. Their admissions committee believe you can be a physician and thats all it takes IMO. Also LUCOM attracts many types of people based on the religious affiliation. They housed the NCAA XC champion which is pretty amazing!

Yes, I received a secondary from CUSOM and THEN was told no because my mcat was to low. Also to OsteopathicHopeful- you should form your own opinion about LUCOM. I was hesitant going into my interview because of the questionable feedback on sdn but I came out of that day with a completely different feeling. The faculty and staff were amazing and so helpful. They really eased the fears that I had and I am confident LUCOM will be a very successful program.

I really hate to say this, and no offense to UD's, but with all of these new schools (especially LUCOM) + grade replacement, almost anyone should be able to get into a DO school somewhere.

Also, as many as 4 new schools may be opening for fall 2016 (Burrell COM in NM, 2 in Arkansas, and UIW in Texas)

Yes, I received a secondary from CUSOM and THEN was told no because my mcat was to low. Also to OsteopathicHopeful- you should form your own opinion about LUCOM. I was hesitant going into my interview because of the questionable feedback on sdn but I came out of that day with a completely different feeling. The faculty and staff were amazing and so helpful. They really eased the fears that I had and I am confident LUCOM will be a very successful program.
Its funny because a lot of people on SDN that have actually interviewed with them say very similar things :)

I really hate to say this, and no offense to UD's, but with all of these new schools (especially LUCOM) + grade replacement, almost anyone should be able to get into a DO school somewhere.

Also, as many as 4 new schools may be opening for fall 2016 (Burrell COM in NM, 2 in Arkansas, and UIW in Texas)

Getting in is different than graduating and passing boards though.

the problem isnt' always grade replacement.

with me at 3.7 cGPA, grade replacement would be a waste of time.

the 24 is a little disheartening which is why i'm considering myself an UG and retaking.

quite honestly, it really sucks that i went to the UG that i went to. i am totally not prepared for the MCAT. at one point, i thought maybe it was my own fault for not going over and above the bare minimum i was required by my UG to get good grades on the tests. but i kid you not, in my 300 level genetics course, we spent probably a week on mitosis/meiosis. it's just a joke. and then we finally get a new teacher who is actually hard on people (but in reality, being hard is just being normal on students... yes some people should fail your class) and the chair of the department tells him that he is being too tough and should be easier.

then my school wonders why none of their science grads are getting in anywhere.

Nothing insider about this, you find this by doing a simple Pubmed search on "MCAT and Boards" or "MCAT and USMLE", and MCAT and medical school"

The paper that stands out in my mind found a strong correlation between scores of 24 and lower and both failing out of medical school, or failing boards. Mind you, this was for USMLE, and no one has ever to my knowledge has done this analysis for COMLEX. At my school, I rarely see strong data between MCAT and how my students do.

To my mind, I think poor performance on MCAT may illustrate poor performance on high stakes career-deciding exams, poor standardized test taking skills, and/or possibly poor choice making skills as well, as evidenced by the numerous posts here and from people I've interviewed who did really stupid things like taking the MCAT with little or no prep, or taking it when they were sick, had a death in the family etc.

I'm also very leery of people who don't do well (<8) on the Bio section, and native English speakers who do poorly (<7) in VR. But that's just me.

I wonder what @Goro 's thoughts are on this? Obviously he has insider information....I just wonder if he's willing to disclose some of the details;)

not sure where you got that. LMU's averages are currently 3.4/25.X. They accepted tons of people with 22's last year. I agree that chances are not great, but it wouldn't be totally farfetched if LMU (or WVSOM) threw them a bone. Hopefully she applied to those schools.

not sure where you got that. LMU's averages are currently 3.4/25.X. They accepted tons of people with 22's last year. I agree that chances are not great, but it wouldn't be totally farfetched if LMU (or WVSOM) threw them a bone. Hopefully she applied to those schools.

A student said the school posted that average.

I actually didn't apply to those schools.. but I did get an ii from vcom today!!

Reactions: 3 users
submitted KCUMB secondary today.

really wish i didn't have to do a full time job, secondaries, and study for an MCAT retake all at the same time :\

i keep telling myself it isn't the end of the world if i don't get all my secondaries in before nov 7 but i'm kind of thinking it's a bigger deal than i'd hope it would be.

I'm still waiting on KYCOM's secondary....I have heard from everyone else. Am I missing something, or should I just be patient?

Just got put on hold at MSUCHM. Still not rejected at like 3 schools lol

submitted secondaries for DMU and my two VCOMs today

that makes 7/14 secondaries submitted.

wish i would have been thinking DO instead of being foolish before my june MCAT and not worked on a DO list, AACOMAS app, DO secondaries, etc. could have interviewed already potentially. oh well, better late than never i suppose.

I finally got my corrected physician LOR....the one that didn't sign. I am complete at 4 schools and am waiting for my D.O. letter for the other 3 :)

submitted secondaries for DMU and my two VCOMs today

that makes 7/14 secondaries submitted.

wish i would have been thinking DO instead of being foolish before my june MCAT and not worked on a DO list, AACOMAS app, DO secondaries, etc. could have interviewed already potentially. oh well, better late than never i suppose.

Don't worry I'll think you'll be fine