FAMU 2020 Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone filled out their Fasfa yet? If you have what do you select when it asks "what grade level will you be in the school year 2014-2015?"

Members don't see this ad.

I got my acceptance letter via e-mail today as well. I SUPER excited! WHOOP WHOOP!:soexcited:

For those who received their acceptance letter last Friday that had the PDF watermark, make sure you check your email....they emailed a new form to sign and fax to correct that issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question...my acceptance letter and the Acknowledgement of Acceptance Form both have some sort of ad that says PDF Complete on the left hand corner of the letters, does anyone else have this? I thought it was my computer but even on my phone and my other laptops shows this and when I print it includes this ad too. Anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Check your email, they have send a CORRECTED form to be signed and faxed

I've also been accepted! This is a dream come true!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Congrats to all that got accepted and good luck the rest of you. I got accepted to crestview campus.
Does anyone know info about the living situation in crestview? Which Apartments are decent, etc? I am coming from out of state and have never been to Crestview.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Congrats to all that got accepted and good luck the rest of you. I got accepted to crestview campus.
Does anyone know info about the living situation in crestview? Which Apartments are decent, etc? I am coming from out of state and have never been to Crestview.
Thank you!

There are no school dorms or anything...the campus is just one small building in the middle of the downtown and there is not much there. There are few apartments in the area though....I live in North Crestview which is only a 20 minute drive to campus but it is all houses. If you see anything online and want pics of the neighborhood message me and I will go scout the area. The north side is calmer with less traffic and mostly retired families and the south is mostly military and younger families but it is closer to the beach! I think prices range from $700 to about $1000 but you can ask for student discount...I hear some apartments started doing that last year. If you don't mind driving a great area to look into is Niceville

Hi everyone! I just got my acceptance letter via email and am super excited to start this program! I had a question to everyone who got accepted. My letter didn't indicate if I was accepted to the Tallahassee or Crestview campus. My preference is Tally and I told them that in the interview. Where in your letters did it say which campus you're going to? I know this school is notorious for leaving students hanging in the last second, and I hope that's not the case with me. Thanks!

If your letter didn't specifically state Crestview you were accepted into the tallahassee campus.

Thanks Aikemaj15! Not to worry some, but before I read Aikemaj15's reply, I called Student Services and asked which campus am I assigned. They said they didn't know and that they would tell me ASAP. That worries me bc I need to let my employer know and need ample time to make a big move. I'm asking the people who have posted that they've gotten into the Tally campus, did your letter specifically say that, or did you assume since it didn't say Crestview. Sorry to be a worry wart, just trying to plan!!!

I looked at the acceptance letters for the progression students that are already attending Tallahassee and it is the same letter as the one I received. Which didn't include anything about Crestview.

Awesome! I'm just going to ignore what Student Services says, and not bother them anymore. :D Excited to start with you all! I might be needing a roommate for Tally, let me know if any of you are interested! DM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I asked this already but has anyone filled out their FAFSA? I'm trying to get mine submitted but I am trouble trying to figure out what to select to answer "when you begin the 2014-15 school year,what will be your grade level?"

I put 1st year graduate/professional on my fafsa

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone from FAM tell us how our schedule will look for p1 year? Are classes 8-5pm? I've known people who've gone through the program and have worked part-time jobs. Though it may not be recommended to juggle work and rx school, I'm going to try. So please, any FAMU RX students, let us know what to expect :hello:

I know I asked this already but has anyone filled out their FAFSA? I'm trying to get mine submitted but I am trouble trying to figure out what to select to answer "when you begin the 2014-15 school year,what will be your grade level?"

Depends. Do you have a BA/BS degree? If not, how many semester credit hours do you have?

Last edited:
Can anyone from FAM tell us how our schedule will look for p1 year? Are classes 8-5pm? I've known people who've gone through the program and have worked part-time jobs. Though it may not be recommended to juggle work and rx school, I'm going to try. So please, any FAMU RX students, let us know what to expect :hello:

You will take 7 classes plus forum, so 8 if you include that. Crestview and Tallahassee time zones differ by an hour. So if you are in Crestview subtract 1 hr.

1. Pharmaceutics 11:15-12:05 (MWF)
2. Patho: 12:20-2:00 (MW)
2. IPPE 2:25-3:15 (Tue)
3. PHYS CHEM & DRUG ANA (biochem): 2:30-3:20 (MW); 2:25-3:15 (Fri)
4. Forum: 11:00-12:00 (Tue)

The classes listed below are offered once a week and will vary when you take them. For example, person A may have to take Drug Info on Mon, while person B takes it on Wed.

1. Drug Info 8:00-8:50am (Mon, Tue or Wed)
2. Lab 8:00-9:30am (Mon, Tue, or Wed)
3. Calculations 10:00-10:05am (Mon, Tue, or Wed)
4. PHARMACY, HEALTH CARE & BEHAVIOR: 9:05-10:55am or 12:15-2:05pm; Crestview 11:15-1:05pm (only offered on Fri)

*5. IPPE. IPPE consists of 2 parts. A lecture (which I have mentioned the day and time for above) and practical. You will be divided into 4 groups. Group 1 will intern for 3 Thursdays at their respective sites and then have the remainder of their Thursdays off for the semester. Then group 2 will follow, etc. The time that you intern will be up to the preceptor at your particular site.

Put 4th year/sr.
Why wouldn't it be 1st year/professional? When I click the help button it says "it refers to your grade level in regards to completing your degree or certificate" I tried calling the financial aid office to see if they could tell me what I need to put but I can't get ahold of anyone. That's financial aid for ya I know hahaha.

Thanks, ithink! How are you assigned to IPPE? Is it usually retail pharmacies or can it be hospital pharmacies? Sorry for all the questions. :penguin:

Why wouldn't it be 1st year/professional? When I click the help button it says "it refers to your grade level in regards to completing your degree or certificate" I tried calling the financial aid office to see if they could tell me what I need to put but I can't get ahold of anyone. That's financial aid for ya I know hahaha.

Your first 2 years you are considered undergrad (unless you have a BA/BS degree or >/= 120 semester credit hours; in which Uncle SAM will not pay for you to have another degree). They want you to use up all of your pell grant 1st. If you say you are a 1st year/professional then whatever aid you have left you won't get. You will be strictly on loans unless you qualify for a scholarship.
Yes it is hard to get them on the phone around this time. You can either keep calling or just drive here if you live close by.

Thanks, ithink! How are you assigned to IPPE? Is it usually retail pharmacies or can it be hospital pharmacies? Sorry for all the questions. :penguin:
I don't mind the questions. You will meet the 1st Thursday of school for an IPPE orientation. At the end, they will hand out a packet that will have your name listed to whatever site you are going to. It can either be hospital or retail

Your first 2 years you are considered undergrad (unless you have a BA/BS degree or >/= 120 semester credit hours; in which Uncle SAM will not pay for you to have another degree). They want you to use up all of your pell grant 1st. If you say you are a 1st year/professional then whatever aid you have left you won't get. You will be strictly on loans unless you qualify for a scholarship.
Yes it is hard to get them on the phone around this time. You can either keep calling or just drive here if you live close by.
Thank you so much! You are awesome and a give help!

Anyone dealing with admissions yet? I have my acceptance letter, and already faxed over my "Acknowledgement of Acceptance" form, but now I'm curious about the university's admission. Anyone have any trouble yet? I haven't received anything from the university, just the College of Pharmacy.

Anyone dealing with admissions yet? I have my acceptance letter, and already faxed over my "Acknowledgement of Acceptance" form, but now I'm curious about the university's admission. Anyone have any trouble yet? I haven't received anything from the university, just the College of Pharmacy.

That should be the least of your worries. When you get accepted by the COP, you automatically get accepted by the university as well.

Reactions: 1 user
does the school provide 0r sell mandatory laptops to students ? or we can bring (buy) our own laptops ?

The school doesn't sell any to my knowledge. All you need is a laptop that can log onto blackboard and some type of writing software (Microsoft Word, or Open Office)

The school doesn't sell any to my knowledge. All you need is a laptop that can log onto blackboard and some type of writing software (Microsoft Word, or Open Office)

Thanks

That should be the least of your worries. When you get accepted by the COP, you automatically get accepted by the university as well.
This is true. Just make sure you send a transcript to the undergrad admission or they will keep placing a hold on your account.

This is true. Just make sure you send a transcript to the undergrad admission or they will keep placing a hold on your account.

hello,

approximately, when are financial aids/loans/grants approved ?

hello,

approximately, when are financial aids/loans/grants approved ?
Have you applied for any loans yet? I was trying to get in touch with financial aid the other day but I couldn't get anyone to answer. I had to leave a voicemail

Have you applied for any loans yet? I was trying to get in touch with financial aid the other day but I couldn't get anyone to answer. I had to leave a voicemail

No. I am so naive on how the whole process is carried out. Plus, I am an out of state student, which makes it more complex. Firstly, I want to know how much I will receive for grants (I completed fafsa), then start looking up for loans, then apartments. I believe the mail that follows the acceptance letter will include everything. I will not call them until I am receipt of that mail.

Yeah you pretty much can't apply for loans until they get your fafsa processed. And I feel ya on the whole apt thing. It's difficult to make any decisions right now without knowing where you stand with financial aid.

No. I am so naive on how the whole process is carried out. Plus, I am an out of state student, which makes it more complex. Firstly, I want to know how much I will receive for grants (I completed fafsa), then start looking up for loans, then apartments. I believe the mail that follows the acceptance letter will include everything. I will not call them until I am receipt of that mail.
Are you getting any financial help from your parents? I can't seem to find anyone who is in the same boat as me. Everyone I ask about how they handle their finances and how to pay for school and rent etc they're just like "oh my parents are helping me out and I may get a small loan here and there" where as in my case I'm responsible for all of my expenses because my parents can't afford to put me through school and I'm considered independent now so everything boils down to me. Haha

nope !!!.....I'm all alone. We are on the same boat lol. I want to know where I stand financially by end of June. I don't want to travel to the orientation without knowing how much i am getting for grants and loans. Anyway, Did you fax or mail your "acknowledgement of acceptance" ??

The best advice I can give you guys is to save your money. I was like both of you in a way. I'm from out-of-state too and I didn't have anyone to support me financially. I found a great deal on an apartment in Tallahassee and quickly rented the place at the start of June. I was still in summer school at the time, so I was paying rent on two apartments. My thought process was I would just take out a loan and I would be ok because Financial Aid should kick in the first 2 or 3 weeks of school. Right? Wrong. I didn't receive my loans until the middle of October. Here's the thing about FAMU, financial aid can be slow (particularly in the Fall), and parking is just as bad.

Advice:
1. Don't wait on the letter. If it's like the last 2 years it won't tell you much in regards to Financial Aid. They will save that for orientation.
2. Save your money now!!! You will have to pay fees during orientation (about $300 dollars or a little more), you also need to eat, pay rent, utilities, etc. Save up enough that will last you at least until October.
3. Find roommates. Particularly ones that are in pharmacy school. I don't like roommates either, but splitting the bill 3-4 ways helps save money.
4. Don't worry about contacting Financial aid right now. Truthfully, they will start processing applications for the Fall around August. Right now they are prob processing Summer applications. The best time to drive here or call will be the 2nd week of August. They will know where you truly stand at that point. If you reach out to them now all they can do is give you a guess that may or may not be 100% accurate.
5. Being an out-of-state student, more than likely you will have to take out a loan. Tuition for out-of-state students is a little more than $10,000 a semester. If you don't have a bachelors degree; whatever your pell doesn't cover, you can apply for government loans: Perkins loan, Stafford loans (assuming you hadn't reached your limit). Then there are private loans you can apply for from banks. If your credit is bad, there's always the last resort with Sally Mae. If you have your bachelor's degree, you can apply for two types of loans. A) Depending on your age, you can apply for the parent plus loan or grad plus loan (these of course are based on your parent's credit or your credit respectively. Depending on your credit score will determine how much you get offered). B) You can also apply for direct loan (max a year is $20,500).
6. Fall loan application for FAMU usually opens around the 1st week of August. Do not submit it now. Wait until August to submit, wait 2 weeks and drive here if you can to make sure you have everything you need submitted.

nope !!!.....I'm all alone. We are on the same boat lol. I want to know where I stand financially by end of June. I don't want to travel to the orientation without knowing how much i am getting for grants and loans. Anyway, Did you fax or mail your "acknowledgement of acceptance" ??
Yea I did. I made sure the fax said "ok" haha. I wish there was some sort of confirmation I really hate calling and pestering them. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I've been trying to find people in the same position as me just to get some info and direction on how to plan and budget and what to expect etc.

The best advice I can give you guys is to save your money. I was like both of you in a way. I'm from out-of-state too and I didn't have anyone to support me financially. I found a great deal on an apartment in Tallahassee and quickly rented the place at the start of June. I was still in summer school at the time, so I was paying rent on two apartments. My thought process was I would just take out a loan and I would be ok because Financial Aid should kick in the first 2 or 3 weeks of school. Right? Wrong. I didn't receive my loans until the middle of October. Here's the thing about FAMU, financial aid can be slow (particularly in the Fall), and parking is just as bad.

Advice:
1. Don't wait on the letter. If it's like the last 2 years it won't tell you much in regards to Financial Aid. They will save that for orientation.
2. Save your money now!!! You will have to pay fees during orientation (about $300 dollars or a little more), you also need to eat, pay rent, utilities, etc. Save up enough that will last you at least until October.
3. Find roommates. Particularly ones that are in pharmacy school. I don't like roommates either, but splitting the bill 3-4 ways helps save money.
4. Don't worry about contacting Financial aid right now. Truthfully, they will start processing applications for the Fall around August. Right now they are prob processing Summer applications. The best time to drive here or call will be the 2nd week of August. They will know where you truly stand at that point. If you reach out to them now all they can do is give you a guess that may or may not be 100% accurate.
5. Being an out-of-state student, more than likely you will have to take out a loan. Tuition for out-of-state students is a little more than $10,000 a semester. If you don't have a bachelors degree; whatever your pell doesn't cover, you can apply for government loans: Perkins loan, Stafford loans (assuming you hadn't reached your limit). Then there are private loans you can apply for from banks. If your credit is bad, there's always the last resort with Sally Mae. If you have your bachelor's degree, you can apply for two types of loans. A) Depending on your age, you can apply for the parent plus loan or grad plus loan (these of course are based on your parent's credit or your credit respectively. Depending on your credit score will determine how much you get offered). B) You can also apply for direct loan (max a year is $20,500).
6. Fall loan application for FAMU usually opens around the 1st week of August. Do not submit it now. Wait until August to submit, wait 2 weeks and drive here if you can to make sure you have everything you need submitted.
Very informative! I am in-state but my situation is that I didn't go to school this last year so I worked my butt off full time and made around 35k. Now since I'm going to pharmacy school I will have probably a less than part time job and have to find a new job at that. So fafsa will tell the school based on my income from last year that I don't qualify for pell or other grants and that really bothers me. Isn't there some way to show that I will not make near as much of that this school year? And yeah you're totally right about saving I've already started saving bc I know schools are alow about loan and grant disbursement so I am trying to give myself some cushion. But geez! I didn't realize it would be OCTOBER! I was thinking maybe august and September.

Advice:

Wow, absolutely informative. I guess I have to start looking for loans. Cant believe their financial aid is that slow

Amazing advice, ithink!!! Thank you! Could you tell us when to expect our "letter that follows our acceptance letter"? I hate bothering Student Services.

I have one class left to complete my A.A degree originally I thought I had every class taken but turns out I have to complete a computer credit to receive my AA. I have all pre recs done after this week. And I would just have to take that computer course in the first part of the summer the class ends June 23. My question is, is it required to have your AA and if so how do I go about letting the school know about my situation..? I just want to make sure this won't added anything. Thanks for any help

I have one class left to complete my A.A degree originally I thought I had every class taken but turns out I have to complete a computer credit to receive my AA. I have all pre recs done after this week. And I would just have to take that computer course in the first part of the summer the class ends June 23. My question is, is it required to have your AA and if so how do I go about letting the school know about my situation..? I just want to make sure this won't added anything. Thanks for any help

No. Its not required. You only have to complete the prerequisites with a C or higher and a cumulative gpa of 2.75. Refer to the "acknowledgement of acceptance"

So do you think it is not necessary to complete that class for admission? I don't want to take any risks. I'm obviously going to complete my AA this summer as only need one credit it would be silly not to.

So do you think it is not necessary to complete that class for admission? I don't want to take any risks. I'm obviously going to complete my AA this summer as only need one credit it would be silly not to.

I wouldn't waste my time. Unless if you really want the degree. It will not hinder/revoke your enrollment if you don't take it. You can call them to verify.

FYI....Crestivew just went through a tornado warning and there are a few areas that have been flooded. The city has declared a state of emergency due to flooding. As far as I know, right now the only apartments that reported flooding is Bel Aire Terrace apartments. For those searching for apartments, don't forget to ask about flooding zones since hurricane season is coming up!

Any news on Apartments ???? Please let me know of any good deals. I am also in search of room mates.