Fav Holiday Recipe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aretoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I know everyone needs something to take their mind off the waiting. So...share your favs!!

And by fav...I mean fave..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a carrot cake that I love and I'm making it for Thanksgiving this year! We have also made Christmas cookies every year as long as I can remember... we would decorate them with colored icing and toothpicks. They're just sugar cookies but they are very yummers.

Lemme know if you actually want the carrot cake recipe! It's pretty awesome!

Lemme know if you actually want the carrot cake recipe! It's pretty awesome!

Carrot cake?! :love: Pretty please?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be making baked macaroni. It's not your standard baked macaroni and cheese. Definitely not.

In the caribbean, it's called "macaroni pie." My family (not being carib, but louisiana creole) just calls it Baked Macaroni. There is no sauce in this baked macaroni. I don't have a recipe. I just wing it. It's pretty much cream, milk, eggs, salt and pepper to taste, macaroni, cheese, butter, cheese and more cheese.

When done, it's a layered brick of artery clogging nirvana. ;) That's why I just do it on holidays.

I also make pound cake, shrimp creole, shrimp stew, stewed chicken, and apple crisp by feel. If someone really wants a recipe, I can probably give you a general idea of how much of each thing I use, but I'd have to be standing with you to give you an idea of what goes in when and how long to saute the the onions and bell peppers. I'll have to think about a list of ingredients. I'll probably post specifics, if I get interest.

Though we'll be having gumbo this Thanksgiving (and Christmas), I won't be sharing a recipe. That particular one is like an heirloom quilt. You trot it out to admire it, and it goes right back in the case or trunk. Every family's gumbo is slightly different and beautiful in its own way.

Besides, people come to blows over what should and should not go in the pot. (No, I'm not kidding. Wish I was. *sigh*) I'd rather just enjoy it.

Wow, Truth74! Maybe you should be applying to culinary school...:p

I'm vegan (duh) and so I usually end up making all my own sides. My favorite is a sort of hybrid pumpkin pie-pumpkin cheesecake with homemade whipped cream. Making it today in fact. Sooo good!

My favorite thing that my dad makes is a sweet potato casserole.

You get a large can of yams, drain them, and a small can of crushed pineapple and mash them together. Then you stir in granulated sugar and butter. Then you top it with brown sugar and pecans. Yummy! Very sweet.

Also, I am very much looking forward to my mom's whipped potatoes. No one makes them fluffier!

None of the things I usually cook are big Thanksgiving dishes.

I just took pumpkin cheesecake tarts out of the oven.
Holidays are my excuse to test new recipes... and it's even better when they involve the sweet smell of pumpkin pie spice!

Pumpkin pie anything is great...anyone have a really good recipe for pumpkin pie squares? A lady at my church makes them and they are AMAZING but I always forget to ask for the recipe!!

We Canadians have Thanksgiving in October...so holiday for me now means Christmas...but this thread seems to be timely for both US Thanksgiving and Christmas :)

Last edited:
I don't really care much for thanksgiving food, except for the fact that canned pumpkin is on sale, and I love making pumpkin bread.

For christmas, I go into baking overdrive, and make a ton of traditional swedish stuff. Limpa bread, spritz, mundleformer and pepperkoker cookies. Mmm, can't wait until christmas.

im not so good at cooking ;) but i did go out and buy cannoli's and cookies for my family from a wonderful italian bakery :D i'm sure they'll soon be gone!

Ah, what appropriate timing - yesterday my roommate and I were discussing what kind of yummy Christmas goodies we should make once we finished exams. We still haven't really decided yet though. Maybe I can get some ideas off this post :)

But my family always has potato casserole for Christmas breakfast. It is really good and involves hashbrowns, cream of mushroom soup and corn flakes baked in the oven (now that I wrote it out it sounds kind of nasty, but it is actually delicious!!)

Im fixing whats considered pretty traditional southern Thanksgiving day cuisine.
Turkey- with rosmary, sage, thyme butter spread, stuffed with lemon and onions baked on top of celery, carrots and garlic.
Country Ham- Not honey or spiral. This is more salty with a baked on glaze of brown sugar and cloves.
Fried summer squash-boiled and fried in onions and bacon grease. (Nothing better than taking a perfectly healthy vegatable and making it totally bad for you but its awesomely yummy. )
Collard greens-boiled with ham juice, vinegar and hot peppers
Boiled cabbage and potatoes
Candied Yams- Yams layered with brown and white sugar, butter and topped with marshmellows baked to a golden brown.
Dressing/Stuffing-kinda plain since my son cant have nuts and my dad doesnt like apples, but its sooo good slathered in gravy made from the drippings after cooking the turkey.
Pillsbury cresent rolls- more of a family tradition than southern cuisine
and....drumroll please
Pumpkin pie!---woo hoo. Let the artery hardening begin!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im fixing whats considered pretty traditional southern Thanksgiving day cuisine.
Turkey- with rosmary, sage, thyme butter spread, stuffed with lemon and onions baked on top of celery, carrots and garlic.
Country Ham- Not honey or spiral. This is more salty with a baked on glaze of brown sugar and cloves.
Fried summer squash-boiled and fried in onions and bacon grease. (Nothing better than taking a perfectly healthy vegatable and making it totally bad for you but its awesomely yummy. )
Candied Yams- Yams layered with brown and white sugar, butter and topped with marshmellows baked to a golden brown.
Dressing/Stuffing-kinda plain since my son cant have nuts and my dad doesnt like apples, but its sooo good slathered in gravy made from the drippings after cooking the turkey.
and....drumroll please

Country Ham! One of my favorites! I haven't had it since May of last year. My dad makes a special trip to get some every spring. We have to put our orders in, or he doesn't get any for us. He's a ham hoarder. :(

That, cottage bacon, and snow cones are the three things I miss about not going south every summer.

You know, I don't like pumpkin anything and never have. I've always been kind of sad about that - I'd love to enjoy pumpkin pie... I try it almost every year just to make sure I still hate it. Lol. You know, I don't like chai tea either, so maybe it has more to do with the spices... but I enjoy nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice on their own so who knows?

You know what I'm NOT sorry I don't like? EGGNOG. Grossssssss. :D

However... some of you southern ladies' cookin has me pretty hungry. Sounds excellent.

and....drumroll please

:eek: What time should I be there? You southerners sure know how to cook. I've been nothing less than impressed the couple of times I've had to opportunity to venture that way. Seriously though, LVT2DVM...your meal sounds DELISH!! :thumbup:

We're having turducken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole and two kinds of homemade rolls. Plus an assortment of other homemade goodies. Nothing too exciting...but it gets my brain off of school...sort of...its currently 3am and I have to more rounds to go in the oven so I'm working on schoolwork of all things. How lame am I? :p Nothing school related tomorrow though!! Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the dog show afterward...woohoo!! Plus much napping, I'm sure. :D

I love mince pies! sooo delicious. I love them in a soup of custard or cream.

I have never had pumpkin pie, I would really like to try it. I have this recipe for pumpkin cheesecake but the boyfriend tells me I am not allowed to make it, something about pumpkin not being allowed in desserts.

I don't really care much for thanksgiving food, except for the fact that canned pumpkin is on sale, and I love making pumpkin bread.

For christmas, I go into baking overdrive, and make a ton of traditional swedish stuff. Limpa bread, spritz, mundleformer and pepperkoker cookies. Mmm, can't wait until christmas.

Have you tried potato flour cookies? I can get you the recipe if you want....

Limpa bread, spritz, mundleformer and pepperkoker cookies.

Mmm, pepparkoker.. I made pepparcorgis last year. Not a traditional Swedish shape, but they sure tasted good :)

CorgiKaka.jpg

That's awesome!!!

Tuesday I made lemon squares and these cool little cookies called cherry jewels. And yesterday I made pinwheel cookies and ginger/white chocolate biscotti. Today is white chocolate and cranberry shortbread :)

It's all getting frozen until closer to Christmas when I will make cookie packages and stuff.

Love Christmas!!

PS If anyone wants recipes, let me know.

I love mince pies! sooo delicious. I love them in a soup of custard or cream.

I have never had pumpkin pie, I would really like to try it. I have this recipe for pumpkin cheesecake but the boyfriend tells me I am not allowed to make it, something about pumpkin not being allowed in desserts.

Blasphemy!!! I wait with baited breathe every year for Olive Garden to put this on the menu. Pumpkin cheescake is the BOMB!:love: Tell the BF to get out of YOUR kitchen. :laugh::smuggrin:

Stealthdog - cute! Where did you get your cookie cutter?

I agree with LVT2DVM! Pumpkin Cheesecake - BEST DESSERT EVER! Even my dad, who is one of those people who thinks it is really funny to say, "hey, what kind of turkey meat do you want? Light or dark? hahaha...":smack: thought my cheesecake last night was great.

I agree with LVT2DVM! Pumpkin Cheesecake - BEST DESSERT EVER! Even my dad, who is one of those people who thinks it is really funny to say, "hey, what kind of turkey meat do you want? Light or dark? hahaha...":smack: thought my cheesecake last night was great.
Do you use tofu instead of cheese? Just curious what your recipe is. :)

Hmmm, tofu? I dont have a clue, I never touch the stuff. My recipe card is AWOL but heres one that looks similar to mine. Pumkin cheesecake is just like regular cheesecake but just has pumpkin added to it.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...c_id=paid_search_phase2_08&WT.srch=1&esrc=335

I was just wondering, since Veganchick was saying her pumpkin cheesecake recipe was awesome, but for her to be able to eat it it couldn't have cheese in it. So I was just wondering what one would substitute for cheese in a cheesecake. :)

I was just wondering, since Veganchick was saying her pumpkin cheesecake recipe was awesome, but for her to be able to eat it it couldn't have cheese in it. So I was just wondering what one would substitute for cheese in a cheesecake. :)

You could use an artificially flavored cheesecake flavored "gelatin or pudding" mix with the tofu. I don't remember which brand uses pectin, instead of gelatin, but my sister in law made a great lemon "cheese" cake out of tofu and a mix of lemon and cheese cake flavored dessert mix. I have no idea what the cheesecake dessert tasted like by itself.

I envy all this delicious sounding food! My family went out to breakfast this year in place of our traditional dinner, so there was no cooking going on at my house at ALL! :(

Although I did go to my dad's family's shindig, but I was still full from breakfast, so I didn't even eat a bite!

Oh well.... I plan on at least baking some cookies for christmas! I would cook meal stuff too.... but that would require me to have cooking skills... lol

Roasted turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (not canned yams!), oyster stuffing, green bean casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, rolls, fruit salad, then finished with apple, pumpkin, strawberry-rubarb and chocolate-peanut butter pie!

Now we're starting on the leftovers just in time for dead week at school! Turkey soup in the crock pot for dinner tomorrow!

The pumpkin cheesecake is awesome if you make it with the gingersnap crust!

Ah you guys are making me hungry with all this talk on pumpkin cheesecake! I just made some for the first time with a friend just a couple days before Halloween. It was so good! We make it with the regular graham cracker crust, but a gingersnap crust sounds like it would be delicious! Mmmmm pumpkin cheesecake. I'm going to have to make some again once exams are all over.

White potato pie.

Take your mashed potatoes and add milk, sugar, and lemon zest to your personal taste. Mix it up and put it in a pie crust, bake, and sprinkle the top with cinnamon if you like.

That's good eatin'.