FlexMed 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't apply to anything, but know multiple people who did. FlexMed is by far the best early acceptance program that you can apply for in college. As for high school programs, Northwestern's and WashU's are even better (though u need to keep a good GPA in college and take the MCAT).
FlexMed is meant for people very interested in the humanities. I think a lot of really intelligent people apply because they want early assurance, but it's really not meant for them. In fact, when they actually apply to med school, these high achieving people will get into excellent schools even better than Icahn.
FlexMed isn't just for humanities though. It's basically anyone with a compelling interest and reason to be given more time to pursue that passion in undergrad. Plenty of the class is filled with entrepreneurs or engineers as well as humanities majors!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's basically anyone with a compelling interest and reason to be given more time to pursue that passion in undergrad. Plenty of the class is filled with entrepreneurs or engineers as well as humanities majors!
Oops, you are correct.

Didn't apply to anything, but know multiple people who did. FlexMed is by far the best early acceptance program that you can apply for in college. As for high school programs, Northwestern's and WashU's are even better (though u need to keep a good GPA in college and take the MCAT).
FlexMed is meant for people very interested in the humanities. I think a lot of really intelligent people apply because they want early assurance, but it's really not meant for them. In fact, when they actually apply to med school, these high achieving people will get into excellent schools even better than Icahn.
Nah dude I’m aiming for those offshore Carribean for profit medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have a shot?

UCLA
Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology major minoring in Biomedical Science
Will have one quarter of research in X chromosome inactivation and its regulation in stem cells
One quarter of research in Drosophila hematopoiesis and gene function
50 hours of tutoring at-risk middle schoolers (will have 50 more at the end of the quarter)
100 hours of volunteering at Stanford Medical Center (might have more at the end of the quarter)
50 hours of Link Crew Leader (guiding freshman through their first year at high school)
40 hours of volunteering at a food shelter
National Merit Commended Student/Biliteracy Award/ AP Scholar with Distinction
(New) SAT: 1510 (750 english/760 math)
4.7 High school gpa/ 3.9 unweighted
3.75 college GPA

Also, is two semesters of biology=2 or 3 quarters of biology?

@rohanc
Just my 2c.
FlexMed isn't just for humanities though. It's basically anyone with a compelling interest and reason to be given more time to pursue that passion in undergrad. Plenty of the class is filled with entrepreneurs or engineers as well as humanities majors!
I see that your passion is research maybe. I don't see a unique one as outlined in the earlier post. To me, you wouldn't be the ideal FlexMed student.
All your stats look great. Maybe someone that actually applied will give better advice.

Do I have a shot?

UCLA
Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology major minoring in Biomedical Science
Will have one quarter of research in X chromosome inactivation and its regulation in stem cells
One quarter of research in Drosophila hematopoiesis and gene function
50 hours of tutoring at-risk middle schoolers (will have 50 more at the end of the quarter)
100 hours of volunteering at Stanford Medical Center (might have more at the end of the quarter)
50 hours of Link Crew Leader (guiding freshman through their first year at high school)
40 hours of volunteering at a food shelter
National Merit Commended Student/Biliteracy Award/ AP Scholar with Distinction
(New) SAT: 1510 (750 english/760 math)
4.7 High school gpa/ 3.9 unweighted
3.75 college GPA

Also, is two semesters of biology=2 or 3 quarters of biology?

At least to me, u seem like a typical pre-med applicant (some leadership, research volunteer etc) and Sinai isn’t really looking for that. You REALLY need to demonstrate a passion for something lol, and research since it’s so typical is a bit cliche.
To put this into perspective, I’ve done multiple summers of research + some during the semester since high school, went to Harvard Med and NIH for internships, and I guess I still couldn’t convince them I wanted to pursue research with my “flex” time.
I’m from a state school btw lol.

For those of you that got rejected, I'm sure you guys will do so well in the future and take this year's cycle as a head start in seeing what it is like to apply and interview for med school! To everyone, would it be possible to post your stats? I'm curious as to what people study and have done in HS and so far in college. I'm currently an incoming sophomore and will be applying the 2019 cycle. Thanks in advance!

For those of you that got rejected, I'm sure you guys will do so well in the future and take this year's cycle as a head start in seeing what it is like to apply and interview for med school! To everyone, would it be possible to post your stats? I'm curious as to what people study and have done in HS and so far in college. I'm currently an incoming sophomore and will be applying the 2019 cycle. Thanks in advance!
Really you could've done everything you wanted (volunteering wise, shadowing, hobbies etc.). What I think has been echoed before time and time again is the ability to express a unique/ cohesive plan. It especially helps if you've been demonstrating doing something from high school and is a passion that you can clearly express through the ECs and Interviews. I really do stress the "unique" part because i'm a firm believer it must be something not necessarily mainstream (at least enough to think you as an applicant may be better suited in regular admissions).

Can anyone that got in share your stats and/or helpful tips for those of us applyingn for 2019.
Thank you so much in advance!!!

@rohanc and to everyone applying in the future, you can definitely convince them research is your flex time! That's what I and my host did, but try to make sure the research you do is really substantial if that's what you're planning on applying with. Show that it's a passion! Best of luck to everyone again!

If anyone is still reading this, could someone PM me the essay prompts (or post them)? I'm applying for FlexMed this cycle and would like to get a head start. Thanks!

To the guy who said those in ivy leagues are naturally "more bright" I just want to let you and anyone else uncertain about the validity of public education, that I got into FlexMed (from a southern state school) so where you get your education is NOT indicative of how bright you are or competitive in graduate acceptance.

On another note, one of the main reasons why there seems to be an "ivy bias" is because ivy leagues are really the only schools that advertise the FlexMed program on their pre health websites. At my school, not even my major adviser was familiar with the program and neither were my classmates, not because they are "less bright" but because it is not as heavily advertised.

So please, do not be discouraged by some of the comments and if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out! I'd be more than happy to help!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To the guy who said those in ivy leagues are naturally "more bright" I just want to let you and anyone else uncertain about the validity of public education, that I got into FlexMed (from a southern state school) so where you get your education is NOT indicative of how bright you are or competitive in graduate acceptance.

On another note, one of the main reasons why there seems to be an "ivy bias" is because ivy leagues are really the only schools that advertise the FlexMed program on their pre health websites. At my school, not even my major adviser was familiar with the program and neither were my classmates, not because they are "less bright" but because it is not as heavily advertised.

So please, do not be discouraged by some of the comments and if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out! I'd be more than happy to help!
Yes!!!^^^ Couldn't agree any more myself! I'm at a public school too! It really is holistic so don't feel like you're at a disadvantage just because you don't go to a really well known school. In fact, one of my hosts was accepted through FlexMed and he said he went to a school pretty much no one had heard about and got in. Don't let it hold you back! DM as well if you have any concerns, I usually check this page every so often! :)

Just made a flexmed 2019 thread

Last edited:
Anyone know if there is a 2019 page for this already?

Reactions: 2 users
was going to create one because you asked but I didn't because apparently I don't reach the rank to make a thread with links (to the old FlexMed threads) yet so :/

Hi everyone, I'm a sophomore at a large research public school. How strong of a chance would I have to be accepted into FlexMed?
My stats:
college cGPA: 3.79 (will drop to around 3.5 after this fall semester because took on 20+ hours and work, but learned from it for next semester and better how to manage my time)
high school cGPA: 3.94 unweighted, 4.17 weighted
ACT: 30
Major: Business
Minor: Chemistry
Shadowing: ~50 hours general practitioner, planning to get around 100-150 total after this summer (with GP and pediatric surgeon)
Clinical work: ~50 hours (36+ hours each month from here on) as essentially a CNA/PCT on cardiac med surg unit
Research: ~50 genetic research on plant systems, ongoing (~300 total by end of junior year)
clinical volunteering: 100 hours scheduled for this coming summer at trauma hospital (in ED)
non clinical volunteering: hoping for 100-200 hours at a soup kitchen by the end of summer
Leadership: college club sports team vice president and safety officer; fraternity treasurer and scholarship chair head

Any input would be appreciated! I know I'm a bit late to the process, but would like to still apply if there's a good chance of acceptance!
Thank you.

Its really hard to predict what Flexmed wants. They want people who have something unique about them/people who will use the time saved from not having to prepare for the MCAT to do something unique. What is your unique "Flex factor"?

Did any one of you get accepted or received an invitation for an interview with an SAT score range of 1000-1150? I really want to see if I have a chance, instead of spending my money on the whole application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi, im an applicant in the current cycle and was wondering if you guys got your decisions just by email or if you then logged in to see it. I just want to know if i should bother checking my account compulsively.

Is it okay to NOT use a professor in the sciences as a letter of recommendation? Is it a penalty? It says it's strongly encouraged to have on on the website.

I hope y’all are aware of the unethical and immoral actions that have been taking place at Mt. Sinai. I’d read the school specific thread for more information.

Hello, I was wondering what my chances are

College in city university system in NYC
Biochemistry major with bioinformatics concentration
Psychology minor, maybe also in Latin?
3.96 GPA (so far have taken 1 year English, 1 year Gen Chem with Lab, 1 year of Bio with Lab, 2 100 level psych courses, 1 year of math (pre-calc & calc), taking Orgo 1 with lab this semester)
Scholars Program
Dean's List
Intern at Tech program at Cornell Tech, part time job as remote medical scribe, 200 hours of non clinical volunteering, 100 hours clinical volunteering, co-founder of charity program at local religious center, mentoring 3 high school students
Next semester, I am taking a CNA course so that I can start working over the summer and throughout junior year as a CNA to get actual patient care experience

High School
3.6 GPA
2130 SAT one sitting
30 ACT
National Latin Exam medalist (2 years)
VP of Girls Who Code Club
Volunteer at local religious center ~300 hours

I had a couple of questions as well- do they ask for official reports of SAT etc (I want to know so that I can order them ahead of time)
What happens if I change my major at the end of the year?
I am aware this is a few years old but just wondering if you were able to get into Flexed. I am also a biochemistry major with an interest in Bioinformatics. Did you end up going to Medical school? I want to know if you pursued Bioinformatics and if so I have a few questions?