FlexMed 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainWEMT

Directorate of Disgruntled Cat Toys
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Seeing as the application will be opening soon, I thought it would be a good idea to start this up.

As a reference, here are the links to the last few years of FlexMed forums
2014: FlexMed 2014
2015: FlexMed 2015
2016: FlexMed 2016
2017: FlexMed 2017

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am! I know the interview invites are sent out on a rolling basis, but since they don't start reviewing apps until after the deadline, does anyone know if it it helps to send in the app earlier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi peeps,
International student
Biochemistry major, cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.88 (small "upper-intermediate-ish" liberal arts college in midwest if that matters).
1 summer as research assistant in part-clinical, part-basic cancer research (with an MD/PhD).
2 currently ongoing research project, the result of one of which will be published some time in the spring.
1000 hours of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, 200+ hours of shadowing plastic surgeons and ENT (which relates to my volunteering)
SAT: CR 670, Math 730, Writing 660

What are my chances?

Sourpatch,

Unfortunately their are very few resources that state what the stats are for FlexMed. That being said, I think your stats look to be in the range where it would make sense to apply.

on the application, it says for fall 2018. Does this mean it is for people who can enroll in 2018?

how many activities are you guys listing on your app? Do you think they want to know things from high school? Or only research/clinical/etc. from college? I have lots of things form hs but im not sure if they would care/want to know about them.

how many activities are you guys listing on your app? Do you think they want to know things from high school? Or only research/clinical/etc. from college? I have lots of things form hs but im not sure if they would care/want to know about them.
From what I've seen from previous applicants/matriculants, it seems like flexmed adcom acknowledges hs activities if they're significant and/or meaningful enough. Significant volunteering/work experience, national (maybe regional) awards, startups, etc. are things you can include. Club membership, minor leadership roles would be ignored.

Hey guys, I'm also planning on applying to Flexmed

Why do I need the "Flex" in FlexMed? -That is because I would like to advance my skill and expertise in religion. This age is the optimal age to memorize all the verses by heart with proper pronunciation. I memorized an entire chapter this summer, and realized how difficult it would be while taking my undergraduate courses and even more so when I'm older.

What do u guys think?

Please tell me this is sarcasm...

on the application, it says for fall 2018. Does this mean it is for people who can enroll in 2018?
Chocolate Acid,

It means that that is when you would enter the flexmed program. You would not actually enter the medical school until you finish your Bachelor's degree-which would not b until at least 2020.

Do I have a shot?
Medical Laboratory science major, linguistics minor
in the honors college
middle level state university with a full ride
20 ish hours shadowing doctors but I'll hopefully have way more when I apply
doing research for breast cancer but don't really have anything to show for it right now
Founded/am leading a year long leadership program- I'm creating the curriculum and leading all meetings
member of Phi Delta Epsilon Medical fraternity
volunteer 2 hours/week in a hospital
National Merit Finalist
32 ACT, 2200 SAT, 4.2 HS weighted GPA and 3.9 HS unweighted
3.99 College GPA including summer physics (I got an A in P1 and A- in P2)

Someone's Silhouette,

Based on your stats it sounds like you have a better chance than I do. As a comparison, mine are
Microbiology major at a small pharmacy college in upstate NY
300 hours paid+40hours volunteer EMS experience
Bioterror/antibiotic resistance research but nothing to show for it
31ACT
4.0 college GPA (includes summer psychology), 3.97 weighted high school GPA (~3.7-3.8 unweighted)
Student government senator for my class, and I have sat on the health services committee and I currently sit on the conduct committee
Eagle scout
Member of college games club and a Hillel at another school.
Flex factor: experience that integrates my interests in politics, global/public health, and travel

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys was hoping someone can provide some insight on what my chances are at being admitted.

UCLA second year
3.86 overall GPA (3.88 Science)
Biology Major
4.62 High School GPA
31 ACT
certified EMT
200 hours of research in immunotherapy lab
50 hours of research in lab that is part of Department of Head and Neck Surgery at David Geffen
Undergraduate Assistant for Chemistry
went to Dominican Republic as part of Global Medical Training

High School EC:
Counselor at Camp Gan Israel for two summers (700 hours)
Volunteer at Senior Living center (200 hours)
volunteer at hospital (50 hours)

Hey guys was hoping someone can provide some insight on what my chances are at being admitted.

UCLA second year
3.86 overall GPA (3.88 Science)
Biology Major
4.62 High School GPA
31 ACT
certified EMT
200 hours of research in immunotherapy lab
50 hours of research in lab that is part of Department of Head and Neck Surgery at David Geffen
Undergraduate Assistant for Chemistry
went to Dominican Republic as part of Global Medical Training

High School EC:
Counselor at Camp Gan Israel for two summers (700 hours)
Volunteer at Senior Living center (200 hours)
volunteer at hospital (50 hours)
Solid chance assuming everything else is just as great (essays, interview).

You're definitely on track to do really well as a traditional applicant as well. Make sure you'll truly be happy if you get into this program. Lots of amazing matriculants come back and ask if they should apply out.

Hey guys! I've been lurking on SDN for a while, but I've begun posting as FlexMed 2019 approaches. Does anybody know how I might stand for the program? I wrote my credentials on freetexthost just for confidentiality reasons (link automatically expires). Wouldn't want to ruin the benefit of anonymity if you know what I mean!

free texthost com/1utdlyfdvn

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

@PaceMaker120 It is really hard to say whether or not you will be competitive without a 2 semester college GPA. Wait until the end of your first 2 semesters and then ask this question. Your test scores look ok. EC wise they also look great but you also need to have new EC's that you start while in college, and ideally one of them should be a leadership role.

@PaceMaker120 It is really hard to say whether or not you will be competitive without a 2 semester college GPA. Wait until the end of your first 2 semesters and then ask this question. Your test scores look ok. EC wise they also look great but you also need to have new EC's that you start while in college, and ideally one of them should be a leadership role.
Thanks for the advice! Will do.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! My first Student Doctor Network post :)

Do you think it is realistic for me to apply? Is it a super far reach? Just a sophomore asking out of curiosity.
I really like the feel of NYC and it seems like it could be a potentially amazing fit. My flex factor has to do with my major.

State University in Midwest
Biology + Nonprofit Management Majors
Spanish + Computer Science minors
4.0 GPA
Honors College
Undergrad Leadership Award
Dean's List
Undergraduate TA
Exec Board for Service Fraternity, 3 research experiences (1 poster, 1 publication awaiting >300 hours), ~100 hours of clinical experience (shadowing + volunteering in bilingual)

High School
4.0 GPA (unweighted)
2260 SAT (1 sitting)
National Merit Scholar
National AP Scholar
NHS, study abroad, Intel, orchestra (few state solo awards)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! My first Student Doctor Network post :)

Do you think it is realistic for me to apply? Is it a super far reach? Just a sophomore asking out of curiosity.
I really like the feel of NYC and it seems like it could be a potentially amazing fit. My flex factor has to do with my major.

State University in Midwest
Biology + Philanthropic Studies Majors
Spanish + Computer Science minors
4.0 GPA
Honors College
Undergrad Leadership Award
Dean's List
Undergraduate TA
VP of philanthropic org, Exec Board for Health-related club, Exec Board for Service Fraternity, 3 research experiences (1 poster, 1 publication awaiting >300 hours), ~100 hours of clinical experience (shadowing + volunteering in bilingual), starting a non-profit, part of health advocacy club, ~50 hours of non-clinical volunteering
--> hoping for internship at non-profit spring semester

High School
4.0 GPA (unweighted)
2260 SAT (1 sitting)
National Merit Scholar
National AP Scholar
NHS, study abroad, Intel, orchestra (few state solo awards)
I'll reply just like I did to someone with a similarly exceptional record:

Solid chance assuming everything else is just as great (essays, interview).

You're definitely on track to do really well as a traditional applicant as well. Make sure you'll truly be happy if you get into this program. Lots of amazing matriculants come back and ask if they should apply out.

Hello, I was wondering what my chances are

College in city university system in NYC
Biochemistry major with bioinformatics concentration
Psychology minor, maybe also in Latin?
3.96 GPA (so far have taken 1 year English, 1 year Gen Chem with Lab, 1 year of Bio with Lab, 2 100 level psych courses, 1 year of math (pre-calc & calc), taking Orgo 1 with lab this semester)
Scholars Program
Dean's List
Intern at Tech program at Cornell Tech, part time job as remote medical scribe, 200 hours of non clinical volunteering, 100 hours clinical volunteering, co-founder of charity program at local religious center, mentoring 3 high school students
Next semester, I am taking a CNA course so that I can start working over the summer and throughout junior year as a CNA to get actual patient care experience

High School
3.6 GPA
2130 SAT one sitting
30 ACT
National Latin Exam medalist (2 years)
VP of Girls Who Code Club
Volunteer at local religious center ~300 hours

I had a couple of questions as well- do they ask for official reports of SAT etc (I want to know so that I can order them ahead of time)
What happens if I change my major at the end of the year?

Hello, I was wondering what my chances are

College in city university system in NYC
Biochemistry major with bioinformatics concentration
Psychology minor, maybe also in Latin?
3.96 GPA (so far have taken 1 year English, 1 year Gen Chem with Lab, 1 year of Bio with Lab, 2 100 level psych courses, 1 year of math (pre-calc & calc), taking Orgo 1 with lab this semester)
Scholars Program
Dean's List
Intern at Tech program at Cornell Tech, part time job as remote medical scribe, 200 hours of non clinical volunteering, 100 hours clinical volunteering, co-founder of charity program at local religious center, mentoring 3 high school students
Next semester, I am taking a CNA course so that I can start working over the summer and throughout junior year as a CNA to get actual patient care experience

High School
3.6 GPA
2130 SAT one sitting
30 ACT
National Latin Exam medalist (2 years)
VP of Girls Who Code Club
Volunteer at local religious center ~300 hours

I had a couple of questions as well- do they ask for official reports of SAT etc (I want to know so that I can order them ahead of time)
What happens if I change my major at the end of the year?
Personally I think you have a good shot...I think the experience you have really does shine through and while stats are one thing, I don't think anyone can really give a solid prediction. The hard part is if you can communicate why you want to be in the FlexMed program and why you want to be a doctor. I think if you can do that why not give it a shot? Also hey! I officially got my CNA license too! Good luck! :)

Do admits typically start medical school after senior year or is it possible to start after junior year. Also, how is everyone going about that last essay question: "Describe how FlexMed will change your educational plan and enhance your future career in medicine. Please concentrate on how you will use the flexibility afforded by FlexMed, and not on the FlexMed requirements." ?

They start after senior year or after they take 1-2 gap years. I’m not sure how it works for students that graduate early but I’m sure they would recommend taking gap years.

Gogetterr,

I am planning on discussing how I would utilize the extra freedom to have an experience that would allow me to explore politics in medicine/public health/global health, something that I would not normally do as a microbiology major.

Reactions: 2 users
Sourpatch,

Unfortunately their are very few resources that state what the stats are for FlexMed. That being said, I think your stats look to be in the range where it would make sense to apply.

Got into FlexMed in 2016. Some stats from that year's accepted class:

10 Computational Science & Engineering
26 Humanities and Social Science
19 Biomedical Science

SAT Reading: 737
SAT Math: 754
SAT Writing: 739

ACT: 33

GPA: 3.86

55 Admitted out of 763 Applications

There is no Ivy bias. I'm from a Midwestern state school.

Reactions: 4 users
Got into FlexMed in 2016. Some stats from that year's accepted class:

10 Computational Science & Engineering
26 Humanities and Social Science
19 Biomedical Science

SAT Reading: 737
SAT Math: 754
SAT Writing: 739

ACT: 33

GPA: 3.86

55 Admitted out of 763 Applications

There is no Ivy bias. I'm from a Midwestern state school.
What was the interview like? JC even though I know it's a long way from now.

Can anyone chance me based on my stats?

HS GPA: 3.9 unweighted
Superscored SAT: 2170 - 800 Math, 720 Verbal, and 650 Writing

Undergrad: Top 15 Liberal Arts School
Undergrad GPA: 3.92 cGPA, 3.92 sGPA
Tentative major: Biochemistry; but have strong interest in music and public health

Extracurriculars:
-Campus volunteer EMT
-EMT Academic Intern
-Community Health Center Intern
-Orchestra (concertmaster)
-REU research experience (~2.5 months)
-Teaching science to underrepresented elementary school kids

-National Merit Scholarship Winner
-National AP Scholar

Can anyone chance me based on my stats?

HS GPA: 3.9 unweighted
Superscored SAT: 2170 - 800 Math, 720 Verbal, and 650 Writing

Undergrad: Top 15 Liberal Arts School
Undergrad GPA: 3.92 cGPA, 3.92 sGPA
Tentative major: Biochemistry; but have strong interest in music and public health

Extracurriculars:
-Campus volunteer EMT
-EMT Academic Intern
-Community Health Center Intern
-Orchestra (concertmaster)
-REU research experience (~2.5 months)
-Teaching science to underrepresented elementary school kids

-National Merit Scholarship Winner
-National AP Scholar
I would say go for it- you seem like a competitive applicant.

Flexmed is Icahn-Mount Sinai's early assurance program. Highly competitive students in their second year can apply to it and if they get in they do not take the MCAT and have a seat waiting for them in Mount Sinai's medical school provided that they complete certain prereq courses and experiences.

Flexmed is Icahn-Mount Sinai's early assurance program. Highly competitive students in their second year can apply to it and if they get in they do not take the MCAT and have a seat waiting for them in Mount Sinai's medical school provided that they complete certain prereq courses and experiences.

But the MCAT is important tho :thinking:

From these chance me posts I feel like most of you are looking at chances too much from a stats stand point. Admissions into the program is really heavily dependent on your flexmed plan, that is what will you do with the time they are giving you. Basically you should sufficiently answer the question "why would we give you an acceptance right now, when we can give you one later when you apply the normal cycle?". You really need a well thought out plan that you would have preferably started already in high school. It helps if this plan involves a strong interest in something outside of medicine.

For those wondering, I applied to flexmed before. I didn't get in but I got an interview and was able to see the applicants they are looking for. Funnily enough I am applying this current cycle to medical school and they have invited me to interview in their normal cycle lol. So it's not the end of the world if you don't get into flexmed.

Reactions: 2 users
From these chance me posts I feel like most of you are looking at chances too much from a stats stand point. Admissions into the program is really heavily dependent on your flexmed plan, that is what will you do with the time they are giving you. Basically you should sufficiently answer the question "why would we give you an acceptance right now, when we can give you one later when you apply the normal cycle?". You really need a well thought out plan that you would have preferably started already in high school. It helps if this plan involves a strong interest in something outside of medicine.

For those wondering, I applied to flexmed before. I didn't get in but I got an interview and was able to see the applicants they are looking for. Funnily enough I am applying this current cycle to medical school and they have invited me to interview in their normal cycle lol. So it's not the end of the world if you don't get into flexmed.

How was your interview the first time? I know if I don't get in I'm definitely gonna apply for the regular cycle I really love this school. :)

But the MCAT is important tho :thinking:

Important to who? If they can assess the quality of the FlexMed applicants without an MCAT score, I'd argue that they don't think it is important.

hi yall newcomer to the forum here!

I have three questions:

-do i really need to include a high school letter of rec? im fine with doing that but i have 3 pretty strong college letters and idk if a high school one would be as relevant

-i took the SAT a couple times and my super score is way better than either of my individual tests. How can i best express this on the app? The collegeboard score reports don't show the Super Score--just the scores from individual tests i took at the very top along with the other score on the second page.

-how important is prestige of undergrad? i know that HuMed/FlexMed has historically had a preference for Ivies and Ivy+ (Johns Hopkins, Stanford, MIT, Duke, etc.), but how strong is this bump?

Thanks yall.

also the wording of the activities section confuses me. do we rank all our awards/activities/etc. chronologically and then categorize them. Or do we categorize them first and then order them chronologically within each category block

Reactions: 1 users
also the wording of the activities section confuses me. do we rank all our awards/activities/etc. chronologically and then categorize them. Or do we categorize them first and then order them chronologically within each category block

I believe that it is best to do it purely chronologically. As in, list all of your activities in chronological order but place the appropriate "tag" or category.

Just went to the webinar and apparently they're not too concerned about the order of the activities as much as the content and what you do :) In other words, don't stress too much about that part.

I believe that it is best to do it purely chronologically. As in, list all of your activities in chronological order but place the appropriate "tag" or category.

Heyo! I'm also applying, and actually--I asked them, and they said they want it in chronological order with newest at the top and oldest at the bottom, sorted by category--that is, all Health Care Exposure things together, all Employments together, etc.

Best of luck to everyone else applying! <3

Reactions: 1 users
Heyo! I'm also applying, and actually--I asked them, and they said they want it in chronological order with newest at the top and oldest at the bottom, sorted by category--that is, all Health Care Exposure things together, all Employments together, etc.

Best of luck to everyone else applying! <3
Thanks for sharing that information!

Around 48 hours ago

Edited because I'm wrong and so is the website

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
icahn reminder.jpg

^^^The email???

It was a mistake they meant 11:59 PM
If u submitted that day you’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I sent an email about submission deadline and I had submitted past 12PM, so for anyone worried it's fine

Curious to see how things play out, not really expecting even an interview but it was nice to compile the application and take a good look at what I'd like to add to an application in the future. Happy with the rec letters I got tho

Anyone have an idea of the popularity of the program this year? Same as previous or more applications?