Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bro Tatolan! We will meet on saturday.right?

I have a headache accessing florida university video ps.desperately looking for it
Can any one be helpful?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone planning for CPE in May, 2013 at Tuskegee?

It will be of great help if someone can share their CPE experience at Tuskegee.

Hi Mayuri, I'm taking the CPE in June, but in Las Vegas. Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Tuskegee as your test site? Is it the convenience of the location based on proximity to where you live?

When I was choosing my test site, I couldn't help but notice that all the other places were almost booked! Las Vegas had the most slots available. And since I live in California, it was the most convenient location anyway. I was just wondering what other ECFVG candidates took into consideration when choosing their test sites.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mayuri, I'm taking the CPE in June, but in Las Vegas. Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Tuskegee as your test site? Is it the convenience of the location based on proximity to where you live?

When I was choosing my test site, I couldn't help but notice that all the other places were almost booked! Las Vegas had the most slots available. And since I live in California, it was the most convenient location anyway. I was just wondering what other ECFVG candidates took into consideration when choosing their test sites.

I chosen Tuskegee because my in laws live in Alabama, basically was convenient. In addition I have not heard good things about Vegas so that was the last place I would want to go to take the test. However that may not necessarily be true I did not want to give it a try.

Hey guys ! A lot if the video links aren't working ! Am preparing for cpe now! Passed navle last month and really highly recommend zuku!! Jx sign up for the free daily questions and its a great start! If u like it then sign up for either the one month or 3 month course :)

So can anyone out there share their tips on how to s ore the cpe? ESP If you are out og the US? Thanks in advance!!!

Oh and jx wondering why some say LV is bad ? They are like the only option available and have openings!!!! Thx

Oh and jx wondering why some say LV is bad ? They are like the only option available and have openings!!!! Thx

Hey cat I wouldn't worry too much about it. I heard a lot of people fail at least one section when they went to Vegas. The examiners apparently are "oldies" retired vets, they say they were very serious and quite reserved. However you have to keep in mind that Vegas is the only site that offers the exam 11 months of the year.
Therefore because they have more opening dates naturally a lot of more people will be taking the exam there, wich means that the raw number of failures will also be higher.
However the percentage of failure is about the same for any of the sites.I am basically saying that is not statically fair to compare Vegas to a place that only offer the test 2-3 times a year.
I think that may give us the impression that is more like for one to fail the exam in Vegas.

good luck

Dr R

Thanks Dr.R :) btw can those of you who signed up for LV have to go on a waiting list at all ? Or you just pay and given the time slot you wanted right away ? Some of the older posts mentioned a 6 months wait from application to registration ?

Thanks !!

Cat

Hi friends!
I am getting ready for the CPE in Las Vegas this June. Has anyone heard of this veterinarian in North Carolina who offers a CPE prep program?

http://www.lat36vet.com/CPE-Prep.html

I want to know if anyone has any reviews about this program. It is kind of costly (at least $750, excluding airfare and lodging), so I have to research if it's worth it, and hear testimonials of some sort.

Thanks guys!

Hi there! I'll be taking the CPE next September and it would be great doing some practice with large animals in a place like that one you mentioned. Please let me know if you find some more info about it. Also if you know about something in Colorado, although I would travel anywhere to get well prepared!
Thank you so much and good luck!

I don't think there's a wait list because once you apply for the CPE on the ECFVG website, it will show you the dates and slots available. It will not allow you to register if the particular test site/date is full. I received a confirmation right after I selected my test date/site.

Hey cat I wouldn't worry too much about it. I heard a lot of people fail at least one section when they went to Vegas. The examiners apparently are "oldies" retired vets, they say they were very serious and quite reserved. However you have to keep in mind that Vegas is the only site that offers the exam 11 months of the year.
Therefore because they have more opening dates naturally a lot of more people will be taking the exam there, wich means that the raw number of failures will also be higher.
However the percentage of failure is about the same for any of the sites.I am basically saying that is not statically fair to compare Vegas to a place that only offer the test 2-3 times a year.
I think that may give us the impression that is more like for one to fail the exam in Vegas.

good luck

Dr R
Choosing Las Vegas as a CPE site does sound intimidating, but I don't think it's necessarily true that it's tougher than the other test sites -- because it is a standardized test after all! I would imagine there would be complaints if the examiners were biased in one way or another. I agree with Dr R that it's more about the statistics-- LV has more exam dates than any other site, so the pass/fail percentage would be higher compared to the other sites as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I'll be taking the CPE next September and it would be great doing some practice with large animals in a place like that one you mentioned. Please let me know if you find some more info about it. Also if you know about something in Colorado, although I would travel anywhere to get well prepared!
Thank you so much and good luck!
So far, the one in North Carolina is the only one I've found that offers a specific CPE prep course. You can always research large animal and equine vets in your area, and contact them one by one, but it's just so tedious! (At least for me--- and because most of them don't respond anyway). So this Dr Geimenhardt in North Carolina is definitely entrepreneurial for offering a CPE prep course for foreign vet grads. I'm just a little bit skeptical because I have not come across any testimonials or reviews about her prep course. It's kind of risky to spend over a $1000 for a prep course without hearing any good reviews or recommendations.

Choosing Las Vegas as a CPE site does sound intimidating, but I don't think it's necessarily true that it's tougher than the other test sites -- because it is a standardized test after all! I would imagine there would be complaints if the examiners were biased in one way or another. I agree with Dr R that it's more about the statistics-- LV has more exam dates than any other site, so the pass/fail percentage would be higher compared to the other sites as well.

Thanks guys ! I feel better better, can concentrate on studying now :) mind you I don't even know where to start! How are you guys getting necropsy experience? Going to an abattoir ?

Dear Drs, I am preparing to get my vet licence and in the same time I’ve been accepted in PhD program (microbiology). Now I am 39 years old that is mean I will be in mid 40s when I will get my vet licence, the bad news is one of my friend ( she is veterinarian )told me it is so difficult to find job after 40s especially for foreign veterinarians( at least here in Canada). Actually, I do not want to spend time and money for nothing, in the same time I was planning to quit PhD program and concentrate in a specialty of veterinary medicine. I will appreciate if someone, in same situation, could help me with any information. Thank you

Hi Mayuri.

I am planning to book my CPE in July 2013 at Tuskegee. I am interested in study groups for CPE.
Thanks. Indian vet

Last edited:
Hi,

I am taking CPE in April 2013 . Anybody have any useful resources to share ?

Hi Abhisek,

Which center you choose for CPE? I passed NAVLE in Dec 2012 and planning for CPE in 2013. I am interested in study group for CPE. Thanks. Indian Vet

Hi Abhisek,

Which center you choose for CPE? I passed NAVLE in Dec 2012 and planning for CPE in 2013. I am interested in study group for CPE. Thanks. Indian Vet

Could any one please let me know as I have passed NAVLE as a membership with CVMA (Canada), can I be eligible for CPE in USA centers?

For CPE in USA you have to go through AVMA. I am registered with AVMA and planning to book CPE in July or Aug 2013.

Last edited:
Only center open right now in LV for 2013. I am planning in July or Aug 2013.

Last edited:
hello, i was wondering how long does the entire process(from enrolling in the program til licensed) usually take on average?? i was told that its takes 1-2years..seems too long no? thanks!

Hello everyone,

I've just passed BCSE and I want to share my experience with you, like many of you have done before, and it was very helpful, thanks :)

But, first of all, thank you Dr Jakish, for everything you did for all of us, and wherever you are I wish you all the best! :)

I came to US a year and a half ago, and since then I've been working as a vet tech in a small animal hospital. My English wasn't very great, probably upper intermediate level, and all practice I had up till that point was 6 month of internship at the Teaching hospital at my Vet School, after my graduation.

Few hints for those who are still at home and planning to come to US:
while still at home, practice taking blood, placing a catheter and restraining crazy cats (talk to them in English) :) Get your documents ready (transcripts and translations)!
Also, basic laboratory procedures (cbc, fecal, urine) and x-rays. Try to learn as much as you can about most common flea, ticks, heartworm, and intestinal parasites products on the US market - just Google it.

Once you are here:
If you don't know where to start, try to go around and visit vet hospitals in your area, ask them if they need any help. I know the law is different depending on what State you live in, but if you have experience working with animals (and since you are a doctor you obviously do :), you can still be helpful, and they don't have to pay you as a certified vet tech. There are also positions like assistants, but that basically means you can just hold animals and set up a fecal :) Maybe, a little bit more than that but you don't have too much responsibilities anyway. Just be honest, tell them what you need and what you can offer to them.

The first few weeks can be a little scary, because you encounter different language, terms, products, system, and routine... on a daily basis, so get yourself prepared to feel kind of a lost :) But, it gets easier and you will pick up things very quickly, so do not panic, and get over it! :) After couple of months, you are going to feel more confident and then you can even start thinking about TOEFL (unless you did it before).

Now, BCSE :
I have mostly used 3 things: Comprehensive review for vt book, Zuku, Merck. You might need some extra books for surgery and physiology, but not necessary, that depends on how much you remember.

The book that many of you have mentioned before, Comprehensive review for veterinary technicians is very helpful but is not enough! Also, it is unlikely to get questions regarding management, restraining, and such things that are more for technician's exam. I find it very good for: basic anatomy, histology, cytology (1st chapter), Radiography and imaging (quite enough for BCSE) Anesthesia, Nutrition, Dentistry, instruments... so, it is useful and not expensive, but it's packed with information and tables, and if you are short on time just take what you need from it and don't spend too much time trying to memorize everything.

ZUKU REVIEW - I don't know what I would do without it. I had 10 different books and didn't know where to start. ZUKU gives you guideline so while you are going through questions you also pick up things related to that question. And, it gives you direct access to online Merck, (which is the main source). In that way you go through the Merck and you do not have to panic about 3000 pages that Merck really has :) Of course, online Merck is free and you don't have to use Zuku to get there, but it just feels easier if you have some kind of a structured guideline where to go and what to pay attention to.
Anyway, BCSE test gives you enough time, so no need to panic, you will probably have 15-20min at the end to go through those you marked and you need to think twice. Physiology, Pathology and Medicine with diagnostics are the majority, as far as I can remember. And that goes along with Zuku materials, too. Anatomy is basic; you need to know major species differences, organ positioning, cranial nerves and major vessels and nerves. Pharmacology -you know you can't go through everything again like in vet school, but try to review drug groups, antibiotic target microorganisms, and most common side effects. So, trust your instincts and don't stop studying every day. It took me 4-5 months with full-time job and half-normal social life :) to get ready for this one. It can probably be done sooner, but...

I have not used VETPREP but I have read good reviews on that as well. I will try it for NAVLE, so if someone went through VETPREP, I would appreciate an opinion.

So, to sum up, the best way to go to become a vet (again) is to learn the Merck cover to cover... but...I find it a little difficult as you can imagine he he :) Therefore, find your own way fight for it!

Good luck, stay in touch!

Hello everyone,

I've just passed BCSE and I want to share my experience with you, like many of you have done before, and it was very helpful, thanks :)

But, first of all, thank you Dr Jakish, for everything you did for all of us, and wherever you are I wish you all the best! :)

I came to US a year and a half ago, and since then I've been working as a vet tech in a small animal hospital. My English wasn't very great, probably upper intermediate level, and all practice I had up till that point was 6 month of internship at the Teaching hospital at my Vet School, after my graduation.

Few hints for those who are still at home and planning to come to US:
while still at home, practice taking blood, placing a catheter and restraining crazy cats (talk to them in English) :) Get your documents ready (transcripts and translations)!
Also, basic laboratory procedures (cbc, fecal, urine) and x-rays. Try to learn as much as you can about most common flea, ticks, heartworm, and intestinal parasites products on the US market - just Google it.

Once you are here:
If you don't know where to start, try to go around and visit vet hospitals in your area, ask them if they need any help. I know the law is different depending on what State you live in, but if you have experience working with animals (and since you are a doctor you obviously do :), you can still be helpful, and they don't have to pay you as a certified vet tech. There are also positions like assistants, but that basically means you can just hold animals and set up a fecal :) Maybe, a little bit more than that but you don't have too much responsibilities anyway. Just be honest, tell them what you need and what you can offer to them.

The first few weeks can be a little scary, because you encounter different language, terms, products, system, and routine... on a daily basis, so get yourself prepared to feel kind of a lost :) But, it gets easier and you will pick up things very quickly, so do not panic, and get over it! :) After couple of months, you are going to feel more confident and then you can even start thinking about TOEFL (unless you did it before).

Now, BCSE :
I have mostly used 3 things: Comprehensive review for vt book, Zuku, Merck. You might need some extra books for surgery and physiology, but not necessary, that depends on how much you remember.

The book that many of you have mentioned before, Comprehensive review for veterinary technicians is very helpful but is not enough! Also, it is unlikely to get questions regarding management, restraining, and such things that are more for technician's exam. I find it very good for: basic anatomy, histology, cytology (1st chapter), Radiography and imaging (quite enough for BCSE) Anesthesia, Nutrition, Dentistry, instruments... so, it is useful and not expensive, but it's packed with information and tables, and if you are short on time just take what you need from it and don't spend too much time trying to memorize everything.

ZUKU REVIEW - I don't know what I would do without it. I had 10 different books and didn't know where to start. ZUKU gives you guideline so while you are going through questions you also pick up things related to that question. And, it gives you direct access to online Merck, (which is the main source). In that way you go through the Merck and you do not have to panic about 3000 pages that Merck really has :) Of course, online Merck is free and you don't have to use Zuku to get there, but it just feels easier if you have some kind of a structured guideline where to go and what to pay attention to.
Anyway, BCSE test gives you enough time, so no need to panic, you will probably have 15-20min at the end to go through those you marked and you need to think twice. Physiology, Pathology and Medicine with diagnostics are the majority, as far as I can remember. And that goes along with Zuku materials, too. Anatomy is basic; you need to know major species differences, organ positioning, cranial nerves and major vessels and nerves. Pharmacology -you know you can't go through everything again like in vet school, but try to review drug groups, antibiotic target microorganisms, and most common side effects. So, trust your instincts and don't stop studying every day. It took me 4-5 months with full-time job and half-normal social life :) to get ready for this one. It can probably be done sooner, but...

I have not used VETPREP but I have read good reviews on that as well. I will try it for NAVLE, so if someone went through VETPREP, I would appreciate an opinion.

So, to sum up, the best way to go to become a vet (again) is to learn the Merck cover to cover... but...I find it a little difficult as you can imagine he he :) Therefore, find your own way fight for it!

Good luck, stay in touch!

Thankkkkkkkk you so much for sharing the very useful experience. Hope you can make the NAVLE and CPE very easily.

Could any one please let me know as I have passed NAVLE as a membership with CVMA (Canada), can I be eligible for CPE in USA centers?
Hello Dr. , How much is waiting time-period for CPE exam slot in Canada (with CVMA) ?

Only center open right now in LV for 2013. I am planning in July or Aug 2013. You can contact me at [email protected]

Hello Dr. , How much is waiting time-period for CPE exam slot in Canada (with CVMA), not in USA or with AVMA ? What is average waiting time period for foreign trained veterinarian non-canada residents (India Citizens outside Canada) with CVMA in Canada ? I heard that in Canada waiting time is 12-16 months, or more longer ? Please reply me. Thanks

Hi Abhisek,

Hello Dr. , How much is waiting time-period for CPE exam slot in Canada (with CVMA) ?

Hello everybody!

I will earn my DVM degree in July and I am enrolled in the ECFVG... Is anybody getting ready for BCSE before the summer? Good luck to everybody :luck:

Last edited:
Foreign veterinarians who completed Step 1, 2, Kindly guide me. I already completed step 1 of enrollment/registration with ECFVG/AVMA. I was unbale to score 7 band in speaking section but scored 6.5 in each section with overall score of 6.5. Does ECFVG AVMA or NEB CVMA accept overall score in IELTS Academic ? Will they allow me to register for BCSE with overall score of 6.5, If i do not get 7 band in speaking section ?

Last edited:
Hi punjabiVET!

Not sure about IELTS because I took the iB-TOEFL.

"For ECFVG program purposes, candidates choosing to take the IELTS MUST take the academic IELTS. The minimum required score on the academic IELTS is 6.5 (overall band score), with at least a 6.5 in the listening band, a 6.0 in the writing band, and a 7.0 in the speaking band. Candidates MUST achieve at least the minimum required scores for each of the required four sections of the IELTS, with section scores accepted from separate IELTS examination administrations conducted over a two-year period. The ECFVG requires original score reports directly from IELTS Inc."

Source: https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/foreign/pages/ecfvg-pp-steps.aspx#step2

I hope this helps!
Let us know!

Hi I'm planning to take the CPE exam in September, I live in California please contact me if you would like to study together. :)

I would be more happy to share somebody ideas

Hi Guys,
I am form Iran too. What is your opinion about establishing our own forum page and gathering the other Iranian veterinarians who are planning to pass or have passed the exams?
[email protected]

Hi All,
I have just started preparation for CPE and I am in MA. anyone on the forum in MA as well?

Hi I'm vet from Thailand but now I'm in LA. I'm preparing for TOEFL. if anybody interested for group study please let me know. :) Here is my email : [email protected]

Does any one know how difficult to get a job with the lab animal medicine certificate for an immigrant? Thanks.

Last edited:
hi every one! Am a foreign Doctor of Veterinary and now I live in Washington DC. Does any one want a group discussion about ecfvg exam around DC area he/she can contact me by my email address [email protected]

Last edited:
hello vets am waiting to contact you guys say something ?

Last edited:
Anyone here going to Las Vegas in July for the CPE?...looking for exchange information and studying if in the CT/NY areas, or even online.

Does anyone know when the CPE dates for 2014 are going to be released? I tried to apply for an exam this year but there is nothing available (only one spot in July which is too early).
I've read earlier this year not to apply before you are ready so I studied first and now nothing is available. Also no waiting list.
Some info for those who have to take the BCSE and NAVLE. I didn't pass the BCSE at the first time bc I had no clue how it would be and how to prepare. Then I studied with Zuku review and passed. I did Zuku review again for the NAVLE and passed the first time.
I am sick and tired of working as a vet tech. I've done this for over 2 years now while preparing for the exams. Apparently I will have to do it another year. I am licensed in Europe (Germany) and not sure if I should go back or go to England for a while. I'm so frustrated...