Freshman - Low GPA & Needed Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinnt

Pre-Med &&. Dying
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is yet again another freshman with anxiety spiking towards the roof. I, unfortunately, have a horrid history when it comes to studying and not knowing how to take proper notes. Due to this, my GPA is a 3.0 as a Bio and English Dual Major. I know this may not sound horrible as most GPA's but I am still a freshman with enough chances to screw up and would prefer to avoid that possibility.

I would like to raise my GPA to a 3.7 and I know that will require tons of work and only A's, however, I am curious that if I change my major to a Biology BA rather than a BS would I be more likely to keep a higher GPA? I am better in classes that don't require a major focus in math. I still plan to take Physics and Calc, but I need to know if a BA would be better. Along with the fact if a BA will hurt my possible score on the MCAT.

On a final note, I would also like advice on how to study and how to focus my concentration so I will not get distracted from my work. My hardest classes will concern Chemistry and Advance Math classes, but if there is a general way to study faster and more efficiently for all my given classes I would highly appreciate it.

Re-Cap and More Info: Finished Freshman going into the Sophomore year. Current GPA: 3.0. Future Medical Concentration: Anesthesiologist. Majors & Minors: English and Biology Major w/ Spanish and Art Minors.
Questions: Is it possible to raise my GPA to a 3.7? I would like to change Biology BS to a BA - will it effect the outcome of my MCAT and Undergrad GPA? How do I study better for my classes while taking better notes? What classes should I take to prepare better for my MCAT?

Thank You,
Quinn.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to raise my GPA to a 3.7 and I know that will require tons of work and only A's, however, I am curious that if I change my major to a Biology BA rather than a BS would I be more likely to keep a higher GPA? I am better in classes that don't require a major focus in math. I still plan to take Physics and Calc, but I need to know if a BA would be better. Along with the fact if a BA will hurt my possible score on the MCAT.

To my knowledge, the BS requires more higher level biology courses than the BA does. Your cGPA is not as important as your sGPA, so as long as you make sure you have a high sGPA (additionally, a high cGPA is preferred) then you're fine either way. Whether your pursue a BS or a BA will not have an effect on your MCAT because you'll still be required to take the pre-requisite courses for medical school, which cover the content on the MCAT. Furthermore, when studying for the MCAT, I'd assume your knowledge of the content is lacking so you'd have to review and learn a lot of it again if not for the first time.

On a final note, I would also like advice on how to study and how to focus my concentration so I will not get distracted from my work. My hardest classes will concern Chemistry and Advance Math classes, but if there is a general way to study faster and more efficiently for all my given classes I would highly appreciate it.

Everyone has their own preferred studying style that works best for them. My best advice is to stay up to date on your course work, which might mean dedicating 3-4 hours a day after classes towards studying. If you do this, when exam time comes around, you'll be familiar with the material already so you'll spend most of your time reviewing material rather than learning it for the first time. As for focus, I realize that studying in a public setting is more efficient for me since I don't want to appear to be off-task in public (i.e. refraining from youtube, netflix, etc.) - therefore you can do your studying outside of your home and fool around/distract yourself at home.

Re-Cap and More Info: Finished Freshman going into the Sophomore year. Current GPA: 3.0. Future Medical Concentration: Anesthesiologist. Majors & Minors: English and Biology Major w/ Spanish and Art Minors.

Questions: Is it possible to raise my GPA to a 3.7? I would like to change Biology BS to a BA - will it effect the outcome of my MCAT and Undergrad GPA? How do I study better for my classes while taking better notes? What classes should I take to prepare better for my MCAT?

Just know that your specialty is dependent on the work that you do in medical school (research, Step I scores, etc.) so nothing you do now will really have much decision in that (other than which medical school you attend and their respective match rates).

It is possible to raise your GPA to a 3.7. Assuming that you have a 3.0 cGPA/sGPA from 30 credit hours - if you get A's in the remaining 90 hours required for your degree plan, you'll have a 3.75 - the other questions, I answered above.

Thank you! This information puts me at slight ease.