Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my sophomore year in college, there's this guuner, tool guy who would literally confront anyone sitting in the center front row seat in orgo. So he comes to one of the review sessions and the TA is there talking with everyone before the session starts:

TA: "So is everyone here a sophomore?"
Tool: "No, I'm actually a PMS 1"
Everybody in Room: 😕 😏 😕 😏.....:wtf:
Me: "What's that?"
Tool: turns and looks at me like its blatantly obvious "a first year pre-medical student. You don't know what that is?"
Me: "Ummm...I know what a MS-1 is. Who calls themselves PMS-1? Do you mean freshman?"
Tool: "I do, I like to stand out from the norm"
Me: "Well, you certainly accomplished that!!!"

👍👍:laugh::laugh:

Hah nice! I always laugh when "pre-meds" try to distinguish themselves from all other undergrads.
 
The funniest I heard was:

Me: how are apps going?
friend: fine, I interviewed at X school but they waitlisted me until 2014 🙂eek🙂, so I'm just gonna go to X Caribbean school. You know? I can't wait that long!
Me: ...ok...at least you had a backup!

It'd be awkward if I was wrong and this school did actually waitlist people in such a manner :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
at chem tutoring:

me: so what are you majoring in?
girl: im a dual major, english and im pre physical therapy
me: oh thats pretty awesome
girl: yeah i can't wait till i get my doctorate in pt so i can open my own clinic and prescribe meds
me:😕

unless i am wrong and DPT's can prescribe meds...
 
OMG, I think I may have been "that guy". Back when I was a Junior, I was shadowing at the busy local county health clinic. One of the attendings asked me what year I was. I'm an older pre-med student, so I get confused for medical students and residents from time to time. I proudly announced that I was a "MS negative one".

Christ you could have heard a pin drop in that place. Everybody stopped to stare at me. I probably would have gotten a lesser reaction if I'd hopped on a table, dropped my trousers, and demanded an immediate prostate exam.

I thought I was being clever, and since nobody could figure out what I was trying to say, I started to explain... "well, in 2013 I'll be an MS-2, in 2012 I'll be an MS-1, so it's 2010 and therefore..." Everybody was now even more confused, so I stopped digging my hole.

"I plan to matriculate in 2012" I mumbled softly, and everybody went back to work. I never used that MS-(-1) line again.
 
OMG, I think I may have been "that guy". Back when I was a Junior, I was shadowing at the busy local county health clinic. One of the attendings asked me what year I was. I'm an older pre-med student, so I get confused for medical students and residents from time to time. I proudly announced that I was a "MS negative one".

Christ you could have heard a pin drop in that place. Everybody stopped to stare at me. I probably would have gotten a lesser reaction if I'd hopped on a table, dropped my trousers, and demanded an immediate prostate exam.

I thought I was being clever, and since nobody could figure out what I was trying to say, I started to explain... "well, in 2013 I'll be an MS-2, in 2012 I'll be an MS-1, so it's 2010 and therefore..." Everybody was now even more confused, so I stopped digging my hole.

"I plan to matriculate in 2012" I mumbled softly, and everybody went back to work. I never used that MS-(-1) line again.

Meh, you were making a joke, not trying to be a douche. We forgive you. :laugh:
 
OMG, I think I may have been "that guy". Back when I was a Junior, I was shadowing at the busy local county health clinic. One of the attendings asked me what year I was. I'm an older pre-med student, so I get confused for medical students and residents from time to time. I proudly announced that I was a "MS negative one".

Christ you could have heard a pin drop in that place. Everybody stopped to stare at me. I probably would have gotten a lesser reaction if I'd hopped on a table, dropped my trousers, and demanded an immediate prostate exam.

I thought I was being clever, and since nobody could figure out what I was trying to say, I started to explain... "well, in 2013 I'll be an MS-2, in 2012 I'll be an MS-1, so it's 2010 and therefore..." Everybody was now even more confused, so I stopped digging my hole.

"I plan to matriculate in 2012" I mumbled softly, and everybody went back to work. I never used that MS-(-1) line again.

Yeah, you were just joking, this guy was serious, sad to say.
 
So my sophomore year in college, there's this guuner, tool guy who would literally confront anyone sitting in the center front row seat in orgo. So he comes to one of the review sessions and the TA is there talking with everyone before the session starts:

TA: "So is everyone here a sophomore?"
Tool: "No, I'm actually a PMS 1"
Everybody in Room: 😕 😏 😕 😏.....:wtf:
Me: "What's that?"
Tool: turns and looks at me like its blatantly obvious "a first year pre-medical student. You don't know what that is?"
Me: "Ummm...I know what a MS-1 is. Who calls themselves PMS-1? Do you mean freshman?"
Tool: "I do, I like to stand out from the norm"
Me: "Well, you certainly accomplished that!!!"

😆😆😆

Wow. :laugh:
 
OMG, I think I may have been "that guy". Back when I was a Junior, I was shadowing at the busy local county health clinic. One of the attendings asked me what year I was. I'm an older pre-med student, so I get confused for medical students and residents from time to time. I proudly announced that I was a "MS negative one".

Christ you could have heard a pin drop in that place. Everybody stopped to stare at me. I probably would have gotten a lesser reaction if I'd hopped on a table, dropped my trousers, and demanded an immediate prostate exam.

I thought I was being clever, and since nobody could figure out what I was trying to say, I started to explain... "well, in 2013 I'll be an MS-2, in 2012 I'll be an MS-1, so it's 2010 and therefore..." Everybody was now even more confused, so I stopped digging my hole.

"I plan to matriculate in 2012" I mumbled softly, and everybody went back to work. I never used that MS-(-1) line again.

Hahaha good for you for sharing that story. :laugh: It's easy to make fun of other people, but we were all less informed premeds at one point. There was a time when I didn't know what residency was. I thought you go right from med school to practicing. AND I figured med school would be a piece of cake. (I've known some pretty dumb doctors and thought, if they could be a doctor, med school must be easy!)
 
Not really a funny quote, but when I started volunteering at the hospital I received a thin blue jacket we had to wear. My shift was right after class, and while I could have put the jacket in my bookbag and put it on when I got to the hospital, I decided to wear it to class. I just felt sooo awkward during class and decided not to do that ever again.
 
Last edited:
I was also a very ill informed premed once too, here are a few:

I had no idea what D.O. was.

I use to think that all specialties had a "school" where you would go to classes in order to learn your specialty (didn't know about residency).

I thought you could practice GP straight out of med school.

Thought neurosurgery was the most competitive residency 🙄
 
My counselor told me I could never handle med school because I didn't want to take over 20 units; mind you I'm a Chem major/English minor trying to raise my gpa and for the last 2 years I was consistently taking 18 units.
Haven't seen him since. Taking 16 units, and *hopefully* getting a 4.0 this quarter ^_^
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Conversation a friend overheard between college professor and advisee:
Student (freshman): "I want to go to Medical school, so I need to take whatever classes they require"
Professor: *Gives student list of pre-requsites* Here is a list of typical classes schools require
Student: "Thanks! Are these the same classes they required at your medical school?"
Professor: *Confused look*
Student: "Didn't you go to medical school? You are a "Dr."
Professor: "Ummm noooo, I have a PhD"
 
Yess! This just happened a few hours ago!.... My friend was talking to a random guy we met at an event, here's how it went:

My friend: Ughhh, I'm feeling kind of sick, I think I should go home
Random guy: Oh hey, what are your symptoms?
Friend: Well, I have this, this, and this
Random guy: Oh don't worry, you'll be fine, it's perfectly normal to feel that way at large events
Friend: Really? I feel like I'm about to puke.... you sure?
Random guy: Yes, you can trust me, I'm a pre med major


....And my friend ended up puking and being rushed to the doctor.
 
Yess! This just happened a few hours ago!.... My friend was talking to a random guy we met at an event, here's how it went:

My friend: Ughhh, I'm feeling kind of sick, I think I should go home
Random guy: Oh hey, what are your symptoms?
Friend: Well, I have this, this, and this
Random guy: Oh don't worry, you'll be fine, it's perfectly normal to feel that way at large events
Friend: Really? I feel like I'm about to puke.... you sure?
Random guy: Yes, you can trust me, I'm a pre med major


....And my friend ended up puking and being rushed to the doctor.

Were you there? You should have told your friend, "Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Trust me, I'm a pre med major, too."
 
college student: wait, you want to be a dermatologist?
me: yeah
college student: so why do you have to go to medical school for that?
me: because it is a field of medicine
college student: why? you are not doing anything except looking at people's skin
me: no it's a lot more involved than that, many diseases are manifested cutaneously...
college student: waittt so you have to reallllyyyy go to medical school for all 4 years if you want to be a dermatologist??
me:😱
 
college student: wait, you want to be a dermatologist?
me: yeah
college student: so why do you have to go to medical school for that?
me: because it is a field of medicine
college student: why? you are not doing anything except looking at people's skin
me: no it's a lot more involved than that, many diseases are manifested cutaneously...
college student: waittt so you have to reallllyyyy go to medical school for all 4 years if you want to be a dermatologist??
me:😱

Well... he DOES have a point. I mean... of all things... derm?! aka, dentistry of the skin....
 
Conversation a friend overheard between college professor and advisee:
Student (freshman): "I want to go to Medical school, so I need to take whatever classes they require"
Professor: *Gives student list of pre-requsites* Here is a list of typical classes schools require
Student: "Thanks! Are these the same classes they required at your medical school?"
Professor: *Confused look*
Student: "Didn't you go to medical school? You are a "Dr."
Professor: "Ummm noooo, I have a PhD"

Haha nice that is awesome. Seems like a middle school kinda fact someone figures out...
 
Haha nice that is awesome. Seems like a middle school kinda fact someone figures out...

Admittedly I didn't know that my dermatologist was an MD when I was 15. So I guess it's not too farfetched that the general populous has similar views of dermatologists.
 
Last edited:
Admittedly I didn't know that my dermatologist was an MD when I was 15. So I guess it's not too farfetched that the general populous has similar views of dermatologists.

Yeah as far as dermatologists go I had no idea til about 15 too. But I did know that you could be a doctor withouth going to medical school. That's the post I quoted! 😳
 
Yess! This just happened a few hours ago!.... My friend was talking to a random guy we met at an event, here's how it went:

My friend: Ughhh, I'm feeling kind of sick, I think I should go home
Random guy: Oh hey, what are your symptoms?
Friend: Well, I have this, this, and this
Random guy: Oh don't worry, you'll be fine, it's perfectly normal to feel that way at large events
Friend: Really? I feel like I'm about to puke.... you sure?
Random guy: Yes, you can trust me, I'm a pre med major


....And my friend ended up puking and being rushed to the doctor.
😱

I really hope he was joking.
 
These are the most ridiculous stories I have ever heard in my entire life.
 
Or as Jerry would say "You call yourself a lifesaver. I call you pimple popper MD!"

Well he did know she had an MD.

Kramer (as Dr. Van Nostryn): Now Jerry, why would I, a Juilliard trained dermatologist, need to re-examine him?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kramer (as Dr. Van Nostryn): Now George, why would I, a Juilliard trained dermatologist, need to re-examine him?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JGkMB2gFC0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I'm loving the Seinfeld fun.
 
One of the worst premeds I've ever known has upped the ante. He transferred universities last year, and he's now at University of Houston (which doesn't even have a med school), where he's triple majoring in Medicine, Psychiatry, and Psychology 😏

He's the same one who, during Christmas break of his sophomore year of undergrad, posted on facebook "Studying anatomy at Starbucks... the work of a premed never ends!"
 
Reading this thread makes me think that the average american must be a lot dumber than the average canadian (srs). Or at least A LOT less informed.

The topic of med school has come up with sooo many people that I've talked to, and this varies from construction workers I met in the gym to bouncers and so on... pretty much everyone knows the basics of it being hard to get in, that med school = doctor only (and not nurse, pharmacist, etc), that it's expensive, and that they have a lot of "stuff you need." The most far fetched thing someone here has said about medicine (who's not a premed) is that "it's 7 or 8 years for med school." and ofc. that's right if you count residency...

Come on now, no need for the hate. We both know that this is not true.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure if she's *technically* pre-med, but one of my friends just graduated. When I asked her what her plans are, she said "I figure give med school a shot but still take several classes so I can do optometry. If all fails, then do speech therapy".

I'm a little surprised that she has backups to med school, tbh, but I'm glad. However, this is the same girl who retook a D+ in orgo II to get... a D+ and quit volunteering at a hospital after a few weeks because she got sick of people constantly asking her to get pillows, direct them to a loved one's room, etc. They were too needy, apparently.
 
I ****e you not. This kid was an odd bird. We volunteered in the ER together and he wore his white coat and had his own scrubs and acted like a complete dick. He thought it was so cool that nurses and patients confused him for a doctor. I thought he looked like a complete tool when he said "O im just a volunteer".

No stethoscope?
Amateur!
 
*Convo with a pre-med [with 3.3 GPA]*

Me: Are you considering applying to DO schools?
Pre-med: Ugh, no not really. I want to be a general surgeon.
Me: You can be a general surgeon with a DO degree.
Pre-med: Umm, no, I'm afraid you have mistaken. DO's are not licensed to do surgery. They aren't allowed in the OR.
Me: O'RLY?
Pre-med: Ya RLY.

*sends pre-med the match list of PCOM*

Pre-med: what is this?
Me: a match list. Notice how the DO school produced more general surgeons than many MD schools.
Pre-med: I see. However, you forget to account for these locations. I bet they are getting paid significantly less as a DO resident. These are likely for surgeon assistant positions.
Me: Got to go. See ya.

I had the exact same conversation with a guy that I work with at the hospital!!!!!!!!! he had a 3.25 cGPA 30 mcat and said that if he went to DO school he would be a laughing stock because he wanted to be a surgeon! He has applied two cycles and has yet to get in... Apparently had an offer from Boston University med and turned it down so he could go to an ivy league school... I am sorry, I really encourage people who want to go to med school to do so, but if your arrogance trumps your true passion to be a physician in order to work with and help people to the best of your ability I don't know if I would want you as my physician. IMHO
 
I had the exact same conversation with a guy that I work with at the hospital!!!!!!!!! he had a 3.25 cGPA 30 mcat and said that if he went to DO school he would be a laughing stock because he wanted to be a surgeon! He has applied two cycles and has yet to get in... Apparently had an offer from Boston University med and turned it down so he could go to an ivy league school... I am sorry, I really encourage people who want to go to med school to do so, but if your arrogance trumps your true passion to be a physician in order to work with and help people to the best of your ability I don't know if I would want you as my physician. IMHO

Wow. Just wow! :wow:
 
I've had to correct quite a few premeds on the timeline for applying. I talked to juniors and even some seniors:

Me: So when do you think you'll apply?
Premed: The summer after I graduate. That way I'll go directly to med school.
Me: Uhh... You do know it takes a year to apply? So if you apply June after you graduate, you'll have an entire year off and get the in the next fall.
Premed: 😱... what? What on earth am I supposed to do during the year off??

My family is also clueless on how applying works (but that's understandable). I applied the June one year after I graduated college, which meant I would have 2 gap years between college and med school. My parents/other family members would constantly ask me, "So... why are you taking off 2 years again? Can't you just start med school in the fall?" After explaining it to them several times. I finally sat down with them and drew them a timeline on paper. I think they finally got it after that.

And it annoys me how many premeds are obsessed with going to med school straight out of college (there's nothing wrong with wanting to go directly, but some are appalled by the thought of taking years off in between). One freshman premed in my lab thought I was weird/stupid for taking 2 years off. Even after I explained it to him, he would still ask:

Premed: So... what's your position in the lab again?
Me: Lab tech.
Premed: And you're an undergrad?
Me: No, I already graduated.
Premed: So, do they like pay you to work here?
Me: Yes, I work full-time...
Premed: But why didn't you just go to medical school?
Me: Well I didn't have time or money to apply during college. And lots of people take time off before starting medical school. Almost every premed I know who has graduated is taking at least 1 year off to save money, have time to take the MCAT, just take a break before going back to school, etc. It's actually pretty common nowadays.
Premed: *appalled* Why would you wait?? What would you do for 2 years off??
Me: Well I got a job...
Premed: So did you have a bad GPA or something?
Me: :annoyed:

That's usually everyone's response when I tell them I'm not going straight to med school (So you had a bad GPA?)... I graduated with a 3.99 cGPA / 4.00 sGPA... 😡

Haha this is a great post. I work as a phlebotomist in the lab and the lab techs I know are incredibly smart I drill them with questions all day long. I am a nursing major, almost finished, but I wish I had gone the lab tech route in some instances. It has to be one of the best undergraduate majors for medical school, IMHO. One of the lab techs that worked in the lab I do just finished his first semester in med school and apparently he is doing very well! I respect nurses a lot for their abilities and skills with patients but if you want to know the science behind something a lab tech is the person to ask. Do you feel that you lab tech undergrad helped you significantly on your MCAT?
 
This isn't any embarrassing moment... but did you ALWAYS get asked medical questions by friends and relatives who thought that being pre-med meant you knew something about medicine?

Even today people come to me explaining symptoms they have and I have to explain that I know absolutely nothing except some chemistry and physics.

Side Note: I was not a "pre-med" major, I majored in International Relations.

YES! Then they give you a dumb look when you tell them that they should really see a doctor.
 
Person with a 2.3 GPA
"It's all good man, med schools don't care about freshman year"

Another person, freshman year, most arrogant person I have ever met
"I'm going to be a cardiothoracic surgeon"
 
Haha this is a great post. I work as a phlebotomist in the lab and the lab techs I know are incredibly smart I drill them with questions all day long. I am a nursing major, almost finished, but I wish I had gone the lab tech route in some instances. It has to be one of the best undergraduate majors for medical school, IMHO. One of the lab techs that worked in the lab I do just finished his first semester in med school and apparently he is doing very well! I respect nurses a lot for their abilities and skills with patients but if you want to know the science behind something a lab tech is the person to ask. Do you feel that you lab tech undergrad helped you significantly on your MCAT?

We didn't have a "lab tech" major at my college, I just started working in a research lab after college as a lab tech. My major was neurobiology. As for if it helped me with my MCAT, not really. It did help knowing how to do some of the molecular techniques that are mentioned on the MCAT, but the research I did isn't a topic that is ever emphasized on the MCAT. But my lab tech experience has become handy in med school, especially for biochem/molecular bio/neuro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Person with a 2.3 GPA
"It's all good man, med schools don't care about freshman year"

Another person, freshman year, most arrogant person I have ever met
"I'm going to be a cardiothoracic surgeon"

What wrong with the 2nd one?
Seems like a good fit.
 
Last edited:
overheard a classmate of mine drop this gem to a girl at the bar... "oh hey babe, yeah i'm studying premed and i'm gonna be a doctor. i'll be applying to [insert ivy school] here, so you know im gonna be rich"

the kid has a STELLAR 2.9 gpa and a 24 MCAT w/ few EC's. a DO program for him is a stretch. i grabbed my beer and chuckled as i walked away.
 
overheard a classmate of mine drop this gem to a girl at the bar... "oh hey babe, yeah i'm studying premed and i'm gonna be a doctor. i'll be applying to [insert ivy school] here, so you know im gonna be rich"

the kid has a STELLAR 2.9 gpa and a 24 MCAT w/ few EC's. a DO program for him is a stretch. i grabbed my beer and chuckled as i walked away.
He's obviously a dumb dole as shown by his gpa/mcat but.... that's a half decent tactic to get drunk semi-gold diggers (to bang them).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.