Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody ever wonder why DO's aren't on medical dramas on TV?

They are.
They just aren't House M.D.


Back on topic:

I got straight A's in physics at a CC, but I heard CC credits aren't accepted by medical schools so I'm going to retake it next semester.
 
"I'm going to study for like 2 months for my MCAT, I hear thats all you need to get a 40+" coming from a student who has all C's in their pre-reqs. I lol'd

haha, i actually did this, just studied 2 months straight and got a 38. I also got C's in Orgo, Chem, and Physics in undergrad
🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha, i actually did this, just studied 2 months straight and got a 38. I also got C's in Orgo, Chem, and Physics in undergrad
🙂

but it was pretty dumb and i wouldn't recommend it! dumb of me to get Cs and dumb of me to cram instead of being smart and taking a class or something.

still, it all worked out in the end, just goes to show that even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then 🙂
 
Didn't think of that, but his plan is to go the traditional route. What really pissed me off was the teacher's response. I mean she is the person that people go to when they're wondering about this stuff.
Yeah, I learned really quick not to talk to advisors. Even if they are well informed, you can still probably get more bang for your buck on here than talking to one of them. I guess you've figured this out, haha.
 
Yeah, I learned really quick not to talk to advisors. Even if they are well informed, you can still probably get more bang for your buck on here than talking to one of them. I guess you've figured this out, haha.

True, but profoundly sad. My college had a decent pre-med advisor, but every other advisor I talked to in college was an idiot. One literally added a year to my undergrad by poor advice, and another had me take a class that I didn't need, which I got a C in. Thanks, advisors. Get advice on classes from your professors, not the official advisors.
 
Guy who I've known for a lil while...(I'm in canada btw). He's yet to get higher than a 75 on a mid term.

Me: So where you aiming for?
Him: Stanford (being very serious)
Me: lol wut you won't get in there, where else you aiming?
Him: Idk, i'll probably get in
Me: What if you have to go to the carribean
Him: Then soft, I'll go there, become a doctor and come here
Me: It's hard to get accepted here as an international, for your residency training
Him: You can find a job when you're a doctor (he doesn't know what residency is), doesn't matter where you graduate from. I'll just go to a low ranked carribean uni cause they probably won't even care what you do and give you the degree anyway.
Me: lol kk
 
True, but profoundly sad. My college had a decent pre-med advisor, but every other advisor I talked to in college was an idiot. One literally added a year to my undergrad by poor advice, and another had me take a class that I didn't need, which I got a C in. Thanks, advisors. Get advice on classes from your professors, not the official advisors.

Yup. My advisor told me I would never get in medical school. He called me a "noncompetitive applicant." He said I should give up and go into the research field instead.

13 interviews, 3 acceptances so far :meanie:

moral of the story: just go for it! don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it, because they don't know!
 
Yup. My advisor told me I would never get in medical school. He called me a "noncompetitive applicant." He said I should give up and go into the research field instead.

13 interviews, 3 acceptances so far :meanie:

moral of the story: just go for it! don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it, because they don't know!

What prompted him to say you were noncompetitive? I have met some incredibly ignorant premed advisors, but none that would just tell someone to move onto something else.
 
What prompted him to say you were noncompetitive? I have met some incredibly ignorant premed advisors, but none that would just tell someone to move onto something else.

3.3 undergrad GPA with 5 C's: Orgo 1&2, Chem 1 and lab, physics 2

...oops! 😛

I did, however, take two years out to get an MPH, so those freshman year grades are quite a few years behind me.

EDIT: so to clarify, i guess he was justified based on the information available, but i knew i wanted to go to med school, and i wasn't dissuaded. it hurt a bit to hear though
 
Yup. My advisor told me I would never get in medical school. He called me a "noncompetitive applicant." He said I should give up and go into the research field instead.

13 interviews, 3 acceptances so far :meanie:

moral of the story: just go for it! don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it, because they don't know!

Did any of your interviews mention the C's you got in those classes?
 
haha, i actually did this, just studied 2 months straight and got a 38. I also got C's in Orgo, Chem, and Physics in undergrad
🙂

That's amazing! Congrats lol. You clearly are very smart 🙂 the kid who I talking about isn't hidin any smarts I'm pretty sure 😛 plus he's gonna do it on an 18 credit science semester :3, although I am hoping for his success because we are friends, I just think his plan is a bit stupid lol...to each his own I guess

Also 13 interviews? That's awesome!
 
Guy who I've known for a lil while...(I'm in canada btw). He's yet to get higher than a 75 on a mid term.

Me: So where you aiming for?
Him: Stanford (being very serious)
Me: lol wut you won't get in there, where else you aiming?
Him: Idk, i'll probably get in
Me: What if you have to go to the carribean
Him: Then soft, I'll go there, become a doctor and come here
Me: It's hard to get accepted here as an international, for your residency training
Him: You can find a job when you're a doctor (he doesn't know what residency is), doesn't matter where you graduate from. I'll just go to a low ranked carribean uni cause they probably won't even care what you do and give you the degree anyway.
Me: lol kk

Who are you to tell someone where the will or will not get into medical school? 👎

What schools have you gotten into? 🙄
 
Who are you to tell someone where the will or will not get into medical school? 👎

This is clearly who he is.
gabegarcia_con.jpg
(Dr. Gabriel Garcia-Stanford Dean of Admissions)
 
Last edited:
Who are you to tell someone where the will or will not get into medical school? 👎

What schools have you gotten into? 🙄
lolwut. Not a single EC, gpa probably like 2.5 (being extremely generous, at best) and stanford?

:meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. My advisor told me I would never get in medical school. He called me a "noncompetitive applicant." He said I should give up and go into the research field instead.

13 interviews, 3 acceptances so far :meanie:

moral of the story: just go for it! don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it, because they don't know!

Congrats on the acceptances and proving them wrong! 😉

Same thing happened to me. My advisor said not to apply (I had a low MCAT score). So glad I ignored my advisor!!!

They're trained to tell all their students the only way to get in is to have 30+ MCAT, 3.6+ GPA, and cookie cutter ECs, and that's just not true. Definitely don't take their word for anything, do your own research, and don't let anyone talk you out of what you want to do in life.

Another advisor also laughed in my face when I was trying to finish my bachelors degree in 4 years (I was a community college student transferring to a university in my junior year). She told me all transfer students take 5 years to graduate. Well I went ahead and finished it in 4. 😛
 
Last edited:
Guy who I've known for a lil while...(I'm in canada btw). He's yet to get higher than a 75 on a mid term.

Me: So where you aiming for?
Him: Stanford (being very serious)
Me: lol wut you won't get in there, where else you aiming?
Him: Idk, i'll probably get in
Me: What if you have to go to the carribean
Him: Then soft, I'll go there, become a doctor and come here
Me: It's hard to get accepted here as an international, for your residency training
Him: You can find a job when you're a doctor (he doesn't know what residency is), doesn't matter where you graduate from. I'll just go to a low ranked carribean uni cause they probably won't even care what you do and give you the degree anyway.
Me: lol kk

Dude. At my Canadian school, a 75 is a B+. And again, at my school, a B+ is nothing to sneeze at. Not ideal for premeds, but midterms marks ≠ final marks.

Who are you to tell someone where the will or will not get into medical school? 👎

What schools have you gotten into? 🙄

+1.
I will also add that my general advisor has relentlessly encouraged me to think of something else to do with my life and I was carrying a 3.7 the last time I went to talk to her. Advisors are people you to go for paperwork questions, unless you get a good one. The advisor I deal with for my major is actually wonderful, and worked with me to put together a schedule for all 3 years remaining in my degree, suggesting that I move certain courses up because they tend to boost GPAs and pushing others back because they kill, etc.
 
I will also add that my general advisor has relentlessly encouraged me to think of something else to do with my life and I was carrying a 3.7 the last time I went to talk to her. Advisors are people you to go for paperwork questions, unless you get a good one. The advisor I deal with for my major is actually wonderful, and worked with me to put together a schedule for all 3 years remaining in my degree, suggesting that I move certain courses up because they tend to boost GPAs and pushing others back because they kill, etc.

I've actually had advisors who can't correctly tell me how to get paperwork filed either. Seriously, advisors on the whole are a very hit and miss group.
 
Dude. At my Canadian school, a 75 is a B+. And again, at my school, a B+ is nothing to sneeze at. Not ideal for premeds, but midterms marks ≠ final marks.



+1.
I will also add that my general advisor has relentlessly encouraged me to think of something else to do with my life and I was carrying a 3.7 the last time I went to talk to her. Advisors are people you to go for paperwork questions, unless you get a good one. The advisor I deal with for my major is actually wonderful, and worked with me to put together a schedule for all 3 years remaining in my degree, suggesting that I move certain courses up because they tend to boost GPAs and pushing others back because they kill, etc.
Well if most of your marks are in the C range... there's something wrong. Especially when you get 0s on assignments and and show little hope of improvement for the final.
 
Reading this thread makes me think that the average american must be a lot dumber than the average canadian (srs). Or at least A LOT less informed.

The topic of med school has come up with sooo many people that I've talked to, and this varies from construction workers I met in the gym to bouncers and so on... pretty much everyone knows the basics of it being hard to get in, that med school = doctor only (and not nurse, pharmacist, etc), that it's expensive, and that they have a lot of "stuff you need." The most far fetched thing someone here has said about medicine (who's not a premed) is that "it's 7 or 8 years for med school." and ofc. that's right if you count residency...
 
Reading this thread makes me think that the average american must be a lot dumber than the average canadian (srs). Or at least A LOT less informed.

The topic of med school has come up with sooo many people that I've talked to, and this varies from construction workers I met in the gym to bouncers and so on... pretty much everyone knows the basics of it being hard to get in, that med school = doctor only (and not nurse, pharmacist, etc), that it's expensive, and that they have a lot of "stuff you need." The most far fetched thing someone here has said about medicine (who's not a premed) is that "it's 7 or 8 years for med school." and ofc. that's right if you count residency...

I'm sorry, what are you getting at? 😴
 
Reading this thread makes me think that the average american must be a lot dumber than the average canadian (srs). Or at least A LOT less informed.

The topic of med school has come up with sooo many people that I've talked to, and this varies from construction workers I met in the gym to bouncers and so on... pretty much everyone knows the basics of it being hard to get in, that med school = doctor only (and not nurse, pharmacist, etc), that it's expensive, and that they have a lot of "stuff you need." The most far fetched thing someone here has said about medicine (who's not a premed) is that "it's 7 or 8 years for med school." and ofc. that's right if you count residency...

First of all, your definition of intelligence is flawed if you think not knowing about the med school app process makes you dumb. Also, stop talking to everyone you meet about med school -- it's not as interesting as you think it is.

And weren't you just complaining about one of your fellow Canadians?

Guy who I've known for a lil while...(I'm in canada btw). He's yet to get higher than a 75 on a mid term.

Me: So where you aiming for?
Him: Stanford (being very serious)
Me: lol wut you won't get in there, where else you aiming?
Him: Idk, i'll probably get in
Me: What if you have to go to the carribean
Him: Then soft, I'll go there, become a doctor and come here
Me: It's hard to get accepted here as an international, for your residency training
Him: You can find a job when you're a doctor (he doesn't know what residency is), doesn't matter where you graduate from. I'll just go to a low ranked carribean uni cause they probably won't even care what you do and give you the degree anyway.
Me: lol kk
 
This made me lol out loud. :laugh::laugh:

Was this him?

college-freshman-meme-generator-first-semester-pre-med-second-semester-communications-6b8ab2.jpg
Haha honestly, I don't really know what happened to him. I haven't seen him in a long time, so I'm assuming his "dermatology major" got the best of him and he's studying something else now. I never even learned the kid's name, everyone just called him scrubs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all, your definition of intelligence is flawed if you think not knowing about the med school app process makes you dumb. Also, stop talking to everyone you meet about med school -- it's not as interesting as you think it is.

And weren't you just complaining about one of your fellow Canadians?
Scratch the intelligence part, I mainly meant being less informed about stuff.
And what should I say when people ask me "what are you taking" and then "oh what are you gonna do with that then" (referring to a science degree) and then convo goes on.

and he's a pre med... I was talking about the average person.
 
Her: I'm going to go to XYZ (very prestigous med school) because I wanna do anesthesia and they do that there.

Me: Uh huh.

Her: Also I plan on taking classes at ABC University next semester. They have a program where if I graduate with a Biology major, I basically don't have to take the first year of med school.

Me: Sounds pretty sweet! 🙄
 
The cool part is that guy's a very famous actual DO dermatologist.

I know this guy. Total douche, asked to start filming reality TV segments at an small hospital in an underserved area where the staff is way overworked and doesn't have time for that BS. Thought it would improve his image. I will give it to him that his hair is amazing though.

Also gets very offended when people note he is a DO, especially when patients ask to see the doctor after seeing him. Also LOVEs being on TV.
 
On friday, A pre-med in my English class told me he was going to medical school and match into nsurg which, according to him, is a two year residency and then he's going to immediately open a practice and work 35 hrs/wk.


I tried telling him that the shortest residency program for just a GP is at least three years, he then told me I don't know what I'm talking about and then I told him goodluck and I thought about this thread right away. 😎

:laugh:
 
On friday, A pre-med in my English class told me he was going to medical school and match into nsurg which, according to him, is a two year residency and then he's going to immediately open a practice and work 35 hrs/wk.


I tried telling him that the shortest residency program for just a GP is at least three years, he then told me I don't know what I'm talking about and then I told him goodluck and I thought about this thread right away. 😎

:laugh:

I wouldn't want Kobe to be my doctor... I'd prefer it the other way around. Imagine having free court side seats to all the Lakers games... 😍
 
On friday, A pre-med in my English class told me he was going to medical school and match into nsurg which, according to him, is a two year residency and then he's going to immediately open a practice and work 35 hrs/wk.

Wait. I thought all doctors worked 35 hrs/week and made at least $2 mil a year 😕
 
Not a pre-med story but I ran into a guy I knew from high school. He asked what I was up to and I told him I was finishing up grad school and getting ready to start medical school in August. He says, "Wow man that's great, but don't stop there. You should totally keep going and try to be a doctor or something." I just agreed and told him those were my plans.

Lol.. My jaw would have dropped open.
 
I'm from the pharmacy side of things, but I saw this thread and I do have a pre-med story.

Over the summer I did research with my university and one of the things we were asked to do was counsel incoming freshman on what it means to be a student. We also helped review their trial class schedules.

One of the incoming freshman was a girl who said she was pre-med, I was looking over her trial schedule when this conversation happens.

Girl: So I noticed general chemistry lab is scheduled for 3 hours, do I really have to take the lab?
Me: Yes, the labs are required.
Girl: Do they really last 3 hours?
Me: They can vary, some will last 3 hours, some less. Some labs will require you to do outside work on top of lab work.
Girl: That really isn't fair, I shouldn't have to be in a lab that long for a pre-req.
Me: (Respectfully giving her a dose of reality) You learn to schedule your time efficiently. When you take orgo chem your labs are scheduled for 4 hour periods. You will also find yourself taking multiple lab courses each semester.
Girl: Well that's just stupid, I just can't wait to get into medical school where I'll never have to deal with labs again.
Me: (Thinking to myself) Good luck with that, you're not going to survive. :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my sophomore year in college, there's this guuner, tool guy who would literally confront anyone sitting in the center front row seat in orgo. So he comes to one of the review sessions and the TA is there talking with everyone before the session starts:

TA: "So is everyone here a sophomore?"
Tool: "No, I'm actually a PMS 1"
Everybody in Room: 😕 😏 😕 😏.....:wtf:
Me: "What's that?"
Tool: turns and looks at me like its blatantly obvious "a first year pre-medical student. You don't know what that is?"
Me: "Ummm...I know what a MS-1 is. Who calls themselves PMS-1? Do you mean freshman?"
Tool: "I do, I like to stand out from the norm"
Me: "Well, you certainly accomplished that!!!"

😆😆😆
 
- The nurses laughed and made jokes and kept asking the kid questions about " in your expert opinion what test should patient x get?" Or if a room was dirty they would tell the kid "room # needs cleaning dr. (last name) stat."

- He also got picked on by doctors and they all refused to let him shadow them while they happily let us shadow him.

Finally the kid got the message and left the ER and now works at the front desk and gift shop but he still wears scrubs to work and then changes into his volunteer polo and he still wears his coat to biochem lab.



HR had a huge fit over this and now the entire ER has this scrub machine and we have to get our srubs from there or we cant volunteer or work if your a Dr/Nurse. So now doctors, CNA's, PA's, RN, volunteers have certain colors of scrubs.

-Some lady collapsed in the cafeteria and the only person around was this kid and he ran to help and they thought this idiot was a doctor.

Oh dear, that's hilarious! 😀
 
Status
Not open for further replies.