Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the question is...did the girl get closer to him when he spat that line?

I would just shake my head at her and have a drink.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think someone's ego is showing...

Am I missing something? It seems like he's going in the right direction. His GPA might be under the matriculant average of 3.6, but his MCAT is good. Plus he's also applying to some DO schools.

I also thought the same thing... Not the most competitive numbers, but the matriculant numbers are just averages. I should think that good LOR's and a variety of EC's could get him into a state school. 😕
 
The winter semester just started for us here in Canada and at my school, so new students are rushing in to get started on their degree/diploma. I was walking in the halls and I notice a small poster saying "How to get into medical school." The guy who put up the poster was charging students $25 an hour on a one-by-one basis to teach students on how to maximize their chances of getting into medical school. I thought, ok, this guy may be a medical student (however, there is no medical school attached to my university). The first session was going to be held the next day as an open house. Just to see what he had to offer – even though I don't need it, I decided to attend. I go there to find around 35 people including myself are also attending. The first slide coms up on powerpoint introducing himself with a bit of information about his grades and major. To my surprise, he is a pre-med who just graduated high school and thus far has not taken a university course to date! His major: Pre-med Major; His UNIVERSITY GPA: 4.00 (He hasn't taken a course yet – of course he has a clean slate, LOL).

I was laughing my ass off with this girl in the back.
 
The winter semester just started for us here in Canada and at my school, so new students are rushing in to get started on their degree/diploma. I was walking in the halls and I notice a small poster saying "How to get into medical school." The guy who put up the poster was charging students $25 an hour on a one-by-one basis to teach students on how to maximize their chances of getting into medical school. I thought, ok, this guy may be a medical student (however, there is no medical school attached to my university). The first session was going to be held the next day as an open house. Just to see what he had to offer – even though I don't need it, I decided to attend. I go there to find around 35 people including myself are also attending. The first slide coms up on powerpoint introducing himself with a bit of information about his grades and major. To my surprise, he is a pre-med who just graduated high school and thus far has not taken a university course to date! His major: Pre-med Major; His UNIVERSITY GPA: 4.00 (He hasn't taken a course yet – of course he has a clean slate, LOL).

I was laughing my ass off with this girl in the back.
Lol who would let this guy hold a seminar to get into medical school? I wouldn't even let a freshman hold a seminar to get into UNDERGRAD.
 
The winter semester just started for us here in Canada and at my school, so new students are rushing in to get started on their degree/diploma. I was walking in the halls and I notice a small poster saying "How to get into medical school." The guy who put up the poster was charging students $25 an hour on a one-by-one basis to teach students on how to maximize their chances of getting into medical school. I thought, ok, this guy may be a medical student (however, there is no medical school attached to my university). The first session was going to be held the next day as an open house. Just to see what he had to offer – even though I don't need it, I decided to attend. I go there to find around 35 people including myself are also attending. The first slide coms up on powerpoint introducing himself with a bit of information about his grades and major. To my surprise, he is a pre-med who just graduated high school and thus far has not taken a university course to date! His major: Pre-med Major; His UNIVERSITY GPA: 4.00 (He hasn't taken a course yet – of course he has a clean slate, LOL).

I was laughing my ass off with this girl in the back.

lolwut
 
Lol who would let this guy hold a seminar to get into medical school? I wouldn't even let a freshman hold a seminar to get into UNDERGRAD.

Exactly as I was wondering. I think he just booked a room for general purposes then just did his own thing, lol.
 
The winter semester just started for us here in Canada and at my school, so new students are rushing in to get started on their degree/diploma. I was walking in the halls and I notice a small poster saying "How to get into medical school." The guy who put up the poster was charging students $25 an hour on a one-by-one basis to teach students on how to maximize their chances of getting into medical school. I thought, ok, this guy may be a medical student (however, there is no medical school attached to my university). The first session was going to be held the next day as an open house. Just to see what he had to offer – even though I don't need it, I decided to attend. I go there to find around 35 people including myself are also attending. The first slide coms up on powerpoint introducing himself with a bit of information about his grades and major. To my surprise, he is a pre-med who just graduated high school and thus far has not taken a university course to date! His major: Pre-med Major; His UNIVERSITY GPA: 4.00 (He hasn't taken a course yet – of course he has a clean slate, LOL).

I was laughing my ass off with this girl in the back.

I think the only one laughing more than us is that kid, who probably is laughing right now at the fact that he scored beer money from the suckers in the front row.
 
The winter semester just started for us here in Canada and at my school, so new students are rushing in to get started on their degree/diploma. I was walking in the halls and I notice a small poster saying "How to get into medical school." The guy who put up the poster was charging students $25 an hour on a one-by-one basis to teach students on how to maximize their chances of getting into medical school. I thought, ok, this guy may be a medical student (however, there is no medical school attached to my university). The first session was going to be held the next day as an open house. Just to see what he had to offer – even though I don't need it, I decided to attend. I go there to find around 35 people including myself are also attending. The first slide coms up on powerpoint introducing himself with a bit of information about his grades and major. To my surprise, he is a pre-med who just graduated high school and thus far has not taken a university course to date! His major: Pre-med Major; His UNIVERSITY GPA: 4.00 (He hasn't taken a course yet – of course he has a clean slate, LOL).

I was laughing my ass off with this girl in the back.

13482226.jpg
 
I think the only one laughing more than us is that kid, who probably is laughing right now at the fact that he scored beer money from the suckers in the front row.

Nah dude you gotta get those reading skills up! The poster said that it was an "open house" for the first session- meaning FREE
 
Me: What is your major?
Girl in my Spanish class: Medicine
Me: So you are in med school?
Girl: No but I want to be.

FAIL. Arrogant statements like this just bug me.
 
The winter semester just started for us here in Canada and at my school, so new students are rushing in to get started on their degree/diploma. I was walking in the halls and I notice a small poster saying "How to get into medical school." The guy who put up the poster was charging students $25 an hour on a one-by-one basis to teach students on how to maximize their chances of getting into medical school. I thought, ok, this guy may be a medical student (however, there is no medical school attached to my university). The first session was going to be held the next day as an open house. Just to see what he had to offer – even though I don't need it, I decided to attend. I go there to find around 35 people including myself are also attending. The first slide coms up on powerpoint introducing himself with a bit of information about his grades and major. To my surprise, he is a pre-med who just graduated high school and thus far has not taken a university course to date! His major: Pre-med Major; His UNIVERSITY GPA: 4.00 (He hasn't taken a course yet – of course he has a clean slate, LOL).

I was laughing my ass off with this girl in the back.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recall having this debate with a girl who was convinced (she goes to a university in Dallas) that there is a med school at UT Austin and that UT San Antonio did not have one. 😉 Not a big deal, but still pretty sad when combined with her overall atitude.
 
"I mean, I'm just going to apply to vet, med, and maybe pharmacy school and just kinda see where I get accepted..hehehe" -girl from down the hall (sweet girl..no brains)



🙄
 
It always slightly confuses me when someone says, "I want to go to medical school and be a doctor!" and when I ask if they have any idea what kind, they say psychologist 😕 I understand that people might be mixed up or not be entirely sure of their future plans. Still, I'm never quite sure how to tactfully maneuver past that one.
 
It always slightly confuses me when someone says, "I want to go to medical school and be a doctor!" and when I ask if they have any idea what kind, they say psychologist 😕 I understand that people might be mixed up or not be entirely sure of their future plans. Still, I'm never quite sure how to tactfully maneuver past that one.

Seems like they're mixed up about psychologist vs psychiatrist. I still make that mistake pretty often.
 
Story from a friend:

Blond girl in coffee shop being interviewed by college boy in blue shirt, after they are done talking about how "rushing is awesome, so fun", they start some sort of interview in which I overhear girl saying in a tinkling voice, "I don't know what I want to do with my medical degree exactly but I just know that I want to help save the children in Africa......like maybe I'll start a non-profit or something.... I don't know I'm just obsessed haha, and I definitely am planning to adopt an African child at some point in my life." Boy: "Wow yea that's so intense." Girl: "I know right?"

👎
 
Seems like they're mixed up about psychologist vs psychiatrist. I still make that mistake pretty often.

Yeah, that was my guess too. My only confusion from it stems from the fact that if that if they want to be one or the other, hopefully they understand the difference! That's all 🙂
 
My personal favorite.

A guy told me he was going to medical school to get his PhD and he will get 2 masters also from the same program all in three years tuition free............
...........
.........
.........
Really..
 
I was told by a girl I volunteer with that at the super-exclusive residency she was going to attend that you had to pay tuition.

To my knowledge there aren't any that still require that you pay tuition, but that actually used to be the standard 70 years ago.
 
It always slightly confuses me when someone says, "I want to go to medical school and be a doctor!" and when I ask if they have any idea what kind, they say psychologist 😕 I understand that people might be mixed up or not be entirely sure of their future plans. Still, I'm never quite sure how to tactfully maneuver past that one.

I blame "Dr." Phil.
 
Story from a friend:

Blond girl in coffee shop being interviewed by college boy in blue shirt, after they are done talking about how "rushing is awesome, so fun", they start some sort of interview in which I overhear girl saying in a tinkling voice, "I don't know what I want to do with my medical degree exactly but I just know that I want to help save the children in Africa......like maybe I'll start a non-profit or something.... I don't know I'm just obsessed haha, and I definitely am planning to adopt an African child at some point in my life." Boy: "Wow yea that's so intense." Girl: "I know right?"

👎

I had to chortle at that one.
 
Story from a friend:

Blond girl in coffee shop being interviewed by college boy in blue shirt, after they are done talking about how "rushing is awesome, so fun", they start some sort of interview in which I overhear girl saying in a tinkling voice, "I don't know what I want to do with my medical degree exactly but I just know that I want to help save the children in Africa......like maybe I'll start a non-profit or something.... I don't know I'm just obsessed haha, and I definitely am planning to adopt an African child at some point in my life." Boy: "Wow yea that's so intense." Girl: "I know right?"

👎

Did this make anyone else think of:
[YOUTUBE]NFHOzarT78Q[/YOUTUBE]
especially 1:00-1:25

edit: sorry embedding is disabled. watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFHOzarT78Q
 
A surgical tech, 29, whose eyes lit up when I told him I was accepted:

"I'm going to take the MCAT for fun."

I replied, "so have you thought about PA school?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Story from a friend:

Blond girl in coffee shop being interviewed by college boy in blue shirt, after they are done talking about how "rushing is awesome, so fun", they start some sort of interview in which I overhear girl saying in a tinkling voice, "I don't know what I want to do with my medical degree exactly but I just know that I want to help save the children in Africa......like maybe I'll start a non-profit or something.... I don't know I'm just obsessed haha, and I definitely am planning to adopt an African child at some point in my life." Boy: "Wow yea that's so intense." Girl: "I know right?"

👎

This makes me cringe.....and pray that someone will pull her aside inform her a bit. What's sad is people like this douche she was with and ignorant family members fuel the fire by supporting and praising her.
 
This makes me cringe.....and pray that someone will pull her aside inform her a bit. What's sad is people like this douche she was with and ignorant family members fuel the fire by supporting and praising her.

Whether or not this guy she was with was truly a douche or not we many never know, however, I don't know if this really counts as "fueling her fire". His response could have been accompanied by the thought, "Wow, this idea is absurd and she knows not what she speaks" and a tone of doubt. He also probably was shocked and didn't know quite how to respond and probably would not want to talk her plans down.
 
Whether or not this guy she was with was truly a douche or not we many never know, however, I don't know if this really counts as "fueling her fire". His response could have been accompanied by the thought, "Wow, this idea is absurd and she knows not what she speaks" and a tone of doubt. He also probably was shocked and didn't know quite how to respond and probably would not want to talk her plans down.

I suppose it would be tough to call a friend out on ignorance (especially if it's something they are "passionate" or "obsessed" about). But, I would prefer a friend pull me aside and set me straight to avoid further embarrassment. Kind of like having something in my teeth. IDK though....:shrug:
 
I suppose it would be tough to call a friend out on ignorance (especially if it's something they are "passionate" or "obsessed" about). But, I would prefer a friend pull me aside and set me straight to avoid further embarrassment. Kind of like having something in my teeth. IDK though....:shrug:

I definitely agree... but that means less posts on this thread to read about...
 
I was told by a girl I volunteer with that at the super-exclusive residency she was going to attend that you had to pay tuition.

while med school residencies pay you and don't require you to pay them, there are still dental school residencies that do require that you pay tuition to them and that don't pay you. My friend and her friends and former coresidents attended a couple of them.

Its quite sad.

And with the way funding is being threatened for residencies I wouldn't be surprised if we end up going this way with med school residencies too in the future if that is what it takes to keep the residency programs going.

At BU dental school for instance they pay 80k a year for 3 years for prosthodontic residencies. for NYU dental the orthodontic residency program is 40-50k a year being paid to them not to you.

Like I said, wouldn't be surprised if it happened to med residents if they cut GME funding.
 
I had the exact same conversation with a guy that I work with at the hospital!!!!!!!!! he had a 3.25 cGPA 30 mcat and said that if he went to DO school he would be a laughing stock because he wanted to be a surgeon! He has applied two cycles and has yet to get in... Apparently had an offer from Boston University med and turned it down so he could go to an ivy league school... I am sorry, I really encourage people who want to go to med school to do so, but if your arrogance trumps your true passion to be a physician in order to work with and help people to the best of your ability I don't know if I would want you as my physician. IMHO

He TURNED DOWN BU????????????????????? WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but that's my alumnus as I did grad school there to get into med school. And honestly what is the next best thing to an ivy?? Being in the city of harvard med at a school that uses some of harvard's hospitals. Is he ******ed or something that he turned down BU when they get 12000 applicants a year and with his stats he's lucky to even have such. I mean some ivy league schools are lower ranked than BU like Dartmouth and Brown university. What a freaking idiot. I'm actually in boston visiting the peeps I knew when i was at BUSM as we speak and this makes my stomach churn reading it as someone who has a very strong fire in my blood and passion for BUSM when I speak of it. Best professors I ever had in my life were there. But all the more power to him for wasting his life and giving someone else who wanted it probably more than him a chance. :laugh: :laugh:
 
I was also a very ill informed premed once too, here are a few:

I had no idea what D.O. was.

I use to think that all specialties had a "school" where you would go to classes in order to learn your specialty (didn't know about residency).

I thought you could practice GP straight out of med school.

Thought neurosurgery was the most competitive residency 🙄

There was a time General practitioners didn't need residency to do such. It changed several decades ago but that's not completely as farfetched as you think.

As per neurosurgery, while not the MOST competitive it is up there with other very highly competitive specialties and no easy feat either.

So not completely wrong on that one eiehter. Ortho, plastics, neurosurg, derm, rads, rad onco are amongst the top most competitive fields not necessarily in that order.
 
He TURNED DOWN BU????????????????????? WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have a hard time believing that he actually got accepted at BU, I mean he did go through the trouble of paying to apply and going to the interview, then turns it down with no other prospects? Some people can really surprise you though...
 
"I just got my MCAT scores. I scored a 32. so anything to say now? GPA does play a role on getting accepted but MCAT matters the most. This test measures one's ability on whether the person succeeds on the field of medicine, not GPA. You could just memorize some facts nd do well on your tests and also if you have a easy professor, there u go, easy A.
As for me, I partied a lot. Throwing parties and going - just wasting money. I took my prerequisites in the first two yrs of college. So I didnt take college seriously as I should had."

From one of our own yesterday. See if you can spot the inconsistency
 
Im sorry if this has been posted before, but it so perfectly describes the transition from idealist premed to cynical applicant:
[YOUTUBE]dYlALIXS2UI[/YOUTUBE]
 
"I just got my MCAT scores. I scored a 32. so anything to say now? GPA does play a role on getting accepted but MCAT matters the most. This test measures one's ability on whether the person succeeds on the field of medicine, not GPA. You could just memorize some facts nd do well on your tests and also if you have a easy professor, there u go, easy A.
As for me, I partied a lot. Throwing parties and going - just wasting money. I took my prerequisites in the first two yrs of college. So I didnt take college seriously as I should had."

From one of our own yesterday. See if you can spot the inconsistency

Lmao who is this gem
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im sorry if this has been posted before, but it so perfectly describes the transition from idealist premed to cynical applicant:
[YOUTUBE]dYlALIXS2UI[/YOUTUBE]

"No f*ckwit. Listen to me. You will spend your time feeling inadequate because you failed to make a liquid which smells like banana oil."


Oh. My. God. This video deserves its own thread. I am DYING. 🤣😆
 
Apparently I heard from a friend that an ex of mine is applying to only MD/Phd programs. She was a psych major with <3.5 gpa, no research experience, and <20 on the MCAT. Apparently she got called by the dean of the medical school in Austin to set up an interview.

Now that's boss!
 
A surgical tech, 29, whose eyes lit up when I told him I was accepted:

"I'm going to take the MCAT for fun."

I replied, "so have you thought about PA school?"

Umm? Don't you think that was a little cocky of you to assume he's not worthy of medical school?
 
It seems like the people who say they want to take the MCAT "for fun" or "just to see how I'd do" have no idea what is on it. They think its like the SAT or the ACT where you can walk in not knowing anything (besides high school math) and just use logic to pass.
It's not like karate kid. You can't just walk in and destroy it without any preparation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.