Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let the controversy begin! *malevolent :meanie:*

On a side note, has anyone else been having trouble accessing MDApps? I haven't been able to load anyone's page, let alone mine to make updates.

23752258.jpg


😉
 
Is it sad that I still almost clicked on yours? LoL

:laugh:

But to get this thread back on track here is a conversation I had a few months ago with a pre-med who really just didn't have a clue. I didn't want to be mean by correcting him.

Clueless (talking to a friend of his): "Yeah I did pretty good on my MCAT so I really think I'll get in"
Friend: "Oooo what did you get, if you don't mind?"
Clueless: "I got a 24, and since the test is out of 45 I am in about the 60-70th percentile"
Me: "Wow that's great man, where do you intend on applying?"
Clueless: "The state school as a back-up, but I really would like to go to WashU"
Me: "Good luck man".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:laugh:

But to get this thread back on track here is a conversation I had a few months ago with a pre-med who really just didn't have a clue. I didn't want to be mean by correcting him.

Clueless (talking to a friend of his): "Yeah I did pretty good on my MCAT so I really think I'll get in"
Friend: "Oooo what did you get, if you don't mind?"
Clueless: "I got a 24, and since the test is out of 45 I am in about the 60-70th percentile"
Me: "Wow that's great man, where do you intend on applying?"
Clueless: "The state school as a back-up, but I really would like to go to WashU"
Me: "Good luck man".

Wow....


I had a run in with a "friend" from hs a while ago when I was pre med. He was starting his 4th year at community college.

"Oh cool. Yeah I'm gunna go to med school too. Yeah I just need to work on my GPA a little. I hate classes like chem and Bio...."

Good luck lol
 
I knew a few premeds who were unaware of the fact that there were clinical rotations

Is this really so bad? I didn't know they existed before I discovered SDN and if it weren't for SDN, it might have been a few years before I found out about them.

Anyways, other things I learned after googling "how to become an MD" + through SDN

I thought you could become a GP right after medical school (no residency required) and only other specialties required residency.

I thought the MCAT was basically the same thing as the SATs, but with biology and chemistry.

I didn't know that DOs existed. Now I not only know about them, but I also found out that my doctor is a DO. 😀

I also thought it would be a good idea to go to the caribbean for medical school (that way I could get fluent in Spanish + it would be cheaper)

There's probably more but this is all I can remember thus far.
 
Everything I've learned about medical school I've learned in dribs and drabs. I knew four or five years ago that I was interested in applying, but I only knew vaguely what the pre-reqs were, and had no idea that the MCAT was considered such a monster (I've always tested > 97% without studying on the typical highschool standardized tests, and figured I wouldn't need to study for the MCAT either!). I had no idea what DOs were, how medical school was structured, how residencies or internships worked... really I only learned that stuff in the last two years.

If you don't have family in the know and a decent advisor, this stuff is hard to learn. My first college's academic advising center consisted of two middle-aged women who seemed constantly stoned (giggly, lazy, blissed out) who never knew what was going on with ANYTHING -- and my parents are a librarian and a political philosopher, respectively. The only people in my family in the sciences live in Australia and Singapore - so they know very little about the US system, and certainly not how to apply for med school in it!

SDN and pre-med friends a year or two ahead of me, plus the book Med School Confidential, saved my heiney.
 
Everything I've learned about medical school I've learned in dribs and drabs. I knew four or five years ago that I was interested in applying, but I only knew vaguely what the pre-reqs were, and had no idea that the MCAT was considered such a monster (I've always tested > 97% without studying on the typical highschool standardized tests, and figured I wouldn't need to study for the MCAT either!). I had no idea what DOs were, how medical school was structured, how residencies or internships worked... really I only learned that stuff in the last two years.

If you don't have family in the know and a decent advisor, this stuff is hard to learn. My first college's academic advising center consisted of two middle-aged women who seemed constantly stoned (giggly, lazy, blissed out) who never knew what was going on with ANYTHING -- and my parents are a librarian and a political philosopher, respectively. The only people in my family in the sciences live in Australia and Singapore - so they know very little about the US system, and certainly not how to apply for med school in it!

SDN and pre-med friends a year or two ahead of me, plus the book Med School Confidential, saved my heiney.

This is pretty much me. I'm sure that I will continue to learn shocking truths that I really should have known before. Up until about 2 years ago I was going to be a chiropractor like my dad so it's been a real learning process for me.
 
What irritates me the most is friends that AREN'T premed but decide to just "take" the MCAT because their parents told them to or as a "back-up plan" in case they score really well...

Here's a conversation I had with one of my friends the other day.

Me: "Yeah I just bought a couple of prep books to start studying for the MCAT (8 months away) just to get ahead before school starts and my time is limited throughout the weeks."

Friend: "Oh yeah, I think I'm going to take the MCAT too! Daddy told me I should take it because if I score really well maybe I can just apply and see where it takes me..."

Me: "You do realize you hate science and you barely passed general chemistry, right?"

Friend: "Yeah well..... I'm really good at memorizing so if I make a lot of flash cards I should be ok!"

Me: "..... I'm sure you'll do just fine."

Makes me think... do people not realize how stressful/hard getting into med school is?
 
What irritates me the most is friends that AREN'T premed but decide to just "take" the MCAT because their parents told them to or as a "back-up plan" in case they score really well...

Here's a conversation I had with one of my friends the other day.

Me: "Yeah I just bought a couple of prep books to start studying for the MCAT (8 months away) just to get ahead before school starts and my time is limited throughout the weeks."

Friend: "Oh yeah, I think I'm going to take the MCAT too! Daddy told me I should take it because if I score really well maybe I can just apply and see where it takes me..."

Me: "You do realize you hate science and you barely passed general chemistry, right?"

Friend: "Yeah well..... I'm really good at memorizing so if I make a lot of flash cards I should be ok!"

Me: "..... I'm sure you'll do just fine."

Makes me think... do people not realize how stressful/hard getting into med school is?
Conversation with my mom a few hours ago...

Me: So next summer I'm probably going to apply to Jefferson, Temple, Penn, but I don't think I'll get in there...

Mom: Why not? You've been on the Dean's list since you've started college!

I think my application cycle is going to be more disappointing for my parents than it will be for me. I hope.
 
What irritates me the most is friends that AREN'T premed but decide to just "take" the MCAT because their parents told them to or as a "back-up plan" in case they score really well...

Here's a conversation I had with one of my friends the other day.

Me: "Yeah I just bought a couple of prep books to start studying for the MCAT (8 months away) just to get ahead before school starts and my time is limited throughout the weeks."

Friend: "Oh yeah, I think I'm going to take the MCAT too! Daddy told me I should take it because if I score really well maybe I can just apply and see where it takes me..."

Me: "You do realize you hate science and you barely passed general chemistry, right?"

Friend: "Yeah well..... I'm really good at memorizing so if I make a lot of flash cards I should be ok!"

Me: "..... I'm sure you'll do just fine."

Makes me think... do people not realize how stressful/hard getting into med school is?

I don't know anything about you, but from this one post, you sound like a douchebag 👎
 
Last edited:
I don't know anything about you, but from this one post, you sound like a douchebag 👎

Blunt IMO...


I've encountered a few ppl that want to take the mcat just for ****s and giggles. I just usually offer a dose of reality and let them be on their way. Doesn't bother me if they want to waste the time and $$$ on a test they will probably bomb.
 
I don't know anything about you, but from this one post, you sound like a douchebag 👎

maybe a little :laugh:

however I have encountered plenty of pre-meds who (I htink I mentioned one earlier in this thread) just hate the very basic sciences, hate everything about the pre-reqs, and seemingly hate everything about medicine. But they are star struck with the profession so they somehow convince themselves that doesnt matter.

"I hate exercising, have a compulsion with hot wings, and have two left hands, but I AM gunna be a professional quarterback in the NFL and if the scouts don't like it they can just DEAL with it!"
How many medical threads of this caliber do we have on here, guys?
 
Blunt IMO...


I've encountered a few ppl that want to take the mcat just for ****s and giggles. I just usually offer a dose of reality and let them be on their way. Doesn't bother me if they want to waste the time and $$$ on a test they will probably bomb.

alright, maybe "douchebag" was a little too strong a word, but he could have handled it much better than he did. He just flat out insulted her ("you barely passed gen chem") and then lied to her ("I'm sure you'll do just fine"). Unless this person was a close friend of his, which seems unlikely, that's just mean to say to someone. Instead of being rude and condescending, how about, oh I don't know, be friendly and honest?
 
alright, maybe "douchebag" was a little too strong a word, but he could have handled it much better than he did. He just flat out insulted her ("you barely passed gen chem") and then lied to her ("I'm sure you'll do just fine"). Unless this person was a close friend of his, which seems unlikely, that's just mean to say to someone. Instead of being rude and condescending, how about, oh I don't know, be friendly and honest?

are you bluntly honest with people you don't know who decide to divulge information you dont really care about? Every time you tell someone you are going to med school, I am sure (if your experience is anything like mine) people compulsively tell you how they thought about it, but decided against it for a number of reasons - are you honest with these people and tell them their reasons likely didnt matter because they probably didnt have the scores to get in to begin with? Honesty and friendliness are not always the same 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are you bluntly honest with people you don't know who decide to divulge information you dont really care about? Every time you tell someone you are going to med school, I am sure (if your experience is anything like mine) people compulsively tell you how they thought about it, but decided against it for a number of reasons - are you honest with these people and tell them their reasons likely didnt matter because they probably didnt have the scores to get in to begin with? Honesty and friendliness are not always the same 👍


Yes, I agree that for random strangers telling me how they decided against medical school for whatever reason, I just play along with them; those situations aren't worth the investment of having a serious talk about it. But this wasn't a random stranger he was talking to, or else he wouldn't be talking to her about his MCAT prep and know her gen chem grade. Clearly he knew her, so yes, he should have been more amicable with her.
 
:shrug:

when I was in undergrad there was a group of people who were vocal enough about how they were doing that it wasnt too hard to know such things. There is a weird sort of pre-med camaraderie in which the people who are very unlikely to get in still have those conversations. Either way, its hard to know exactly how he should have treated this other person based on our limited knowledge. He could just as easily have been the "other pre med" in the class that she latched on to and wants to always talk scores, prep, and other stuff :shrug: ive known a few of those as well.
 
Me: Have you considered DO schools?

Aspiring pre-med: Nah mann all they talk about is bones I actually want to deal with the human being itself.
 
:shrug:

when I was in undergrad there was a group of people who were vocal enough about how they were doing that it wasnt too hard to know such things. There is a weird sort of pre-med camaraderie in which the people who are very unlikely to get in still have those conversations. Either way, its hard to know exactly how he should have treated this other person based on our limited knowledge. He could just as easily have been the "other pre med" in the class that she latched on to and wants to always talk scores, prep, and other stuff :shrug: ive known a few of those as well.

Yes. I know what you mean.
 
Conversation with my mom a few hours ago...

Me: So next summer I'm probably going to apply to Jefferson, Temple, Penn, but I don't think I'll get in there...

Mom: Why not? You've been on the Dean's list since you've started college!

I think my application cycle is going to be more disappointing for my parents than it will be for me. I hope.

Yeah my family is like this, too.

"So, where are you going to medical school?"

"Well first I need to submit applications in this coming June to 20-30 different schools, probably all across the country. If I'm fortunate enough to gain an acceptance, I'll go where ever I'm accepted."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll get in. So, where are you going to medical school?"
 
holy crap. so it isnt even PA 😕 We are now at multiple levels of "you sure about that?...."

I just can't bring myself to pop her bubble with her being family and all. If it comes up at Christmas, I doubt I'll be able to hold my tongue.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah my family is like this, too.

"So, where are you going to medical school?"

"Well first I need to submit applications in this coming June to 20-30 different schools, probably all across the country. If I'm fortunate enough to gain an acceptance, I'll go where ever I'm accepted."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll get in. So, where are you going to medical school?"

That's my favorite 🙂rolleyes🙂 question. I don't get it from my family because I've intricately explained the process to them, but I do get it from non-premed friends.
"Where do you want to go to med school?"
"Wherever I get in..."
"Well, where are you applying?"
"Everywhere."
"Isn't that a bit desperate?"
"Sigh."
"I'm sure you'll get in, you're sooo smart."
"...Right."
 
At my HS there were three people named Prince, Princess, and Seven... they were all related. Also when i was shadowing a pediatrician there was a baby girl named Baby Girl... and she wasn't just born or anything. she was two years old!

We had a Santa Claus, Samuel Adams ,Precious and Leyf
 
That's my favorite 🙂rolleyes🙂 question. I don't get it from my family because I've intricately explained the process to them, but I do get it from non-premed friends.
"Where do you want to go to med school?"
"Wherever I get in..."
"Well, where are you applying?"
"Everywhere."
"Isn't that a bit desperate?"
"Sigh."
"I'm sure you'll get in, you're sooo smart."
"...Right."

This is what I get from my friends and acquaintances too:

Acquaintance: "So, where'd you get in?" [Referring to the last cycle]
Well, I didn't actually get in this year like I'd hoped.
Acquaintance: "Weren't you on a list or something?"
Yeah.
Acquaintance: "What happened? You're so smart, you've done all this research and worked in a hospital for years!"
Well, there are over 40 thousand applicants for less than 20 thousand seats, some schools receiving 10 thousand applicants for 125 seats. It's ultra competitive and... Well, hopefully this year.
"Wow. Well...God has a plan."
Yep. Take care. *Walks off nearly in man-tears*
-----------------------
But I at least have the empathy and total understanding of the physicians, med students, and NPs I consider friends and acquaintances at work, like the convo I just had in the hallway with one of my colleagues:

Colleague: "So, how are...things?".
Yeah, unprecedented non-movement of the WL this year. They accepted 30 less students than they did last year and today was the last day for movement. Their orientation starts today. So I'm retaking the MCAT this August, applying via AMCAS, TMDSAS (MD/DO of Texas), and AACOMAS (DO), and just spent $1,000 applying to 23 schools across the country.
Colleague: *rolls eyes, exaggerated sigh* "Ugh, the relicensing fees don't get any better. And, ugh, the M-C-A-T. What a crock. But it's a necessary beast. How are you doing this round?"
I'm treating it like a game I'm trying to win rather than a test; you know, as best I can anyway. I've improved 5pts, but still not quite where I need to be and have two weeks left.
Colleague: "Just inundate yourself with practice tests. The more you take, the better off you'll be. That's what I did with the MCAT and calculus. Say, they don't still require calculus do they? 'Cause let me tell you, as a clinician, I've used to that so many times! *guffaw* What clinician uses integrals? I mean, sure, heavy basic clinician-scientists, but c'mon." *rolls eyes* "Anyway, I'm sure you'll improve enough to land some more interviews. I'll send as much positive mojo your way as I can."
Thanks Dr. S. I need all I can get.

[. . . redacted the tangent we went on with HST and Wash U requiring differential equations . . . ]

-----------------

I really hoped I wouldn't have to do this all over again. But us two-timers are becoming more and more common.

/tangent
 
I am not atheist, but no phrase pisses me off more than this

Interesting. I understand. I'm actually agnostic. While it doesn't cause me anger per se, it really does gnaw at me inside. I'd never say anything, though. I just try to take it in stride, smile, nod, and let it go.

But it is one of those reflexive irritants of mine that I'm actively trying to, and more importantly need to, get over as a person and as a physician. 'Cause let's face it, everyone else's religion will come to the forefront when you're a physician. You can only foster it; as it usually helps those with religion deal with their illness or ill-fate.

Similarly interesting from a socio-psychological standpoint, I seem to have no negative reaction when it comes from a Judaic, Islamic, or other faith. *shrugs* That's a whole other conversation, lol.

So, turning back to comedy: _____/\_____\o/___ AHHH!! SHARK!


EDIT: Even better comedy while I was talking to one of my colleagues while we were entering notes in clinic last summer.

"So what are you taking this summer?"
Organic Chemistry
*chuckle* "You know what that class did for me in med school?"
What?
"Allowed me to read the back label of my shampoo and shaving cream. The end. Hang in there, man."

-------------------
LoL I have tons of these gems.
 
Last edited:
So one of my fellow premeds (who scored a +36 MCAT and graduated with a 3.89 GPA) and I were shadowing in a hospital. We were both dressed in scrubs and had just come out of surgery. We had our booties and surgical caps on and were in the elevator when a guy with a cart tries to come into the elevator. He apologizes to us and asks if we are doctors.

I, of course, say I am just a student shadowing. I explain that I am applying to medical school and will hopefully be here in a few years.

The other premed just looks at him and says, "Well I am wearing scrubs and a mask. The student just said he was shadowing. What do you think I am."

The guy says, "A surgeon?"

The premed looks back and nods. When the guy leaves and the elevator door closes, the premed laughs and says he will be a surgeon someday so it is okay to say he is one now.

People like this piss me off. I am glad the cocky SOB got rejected from every school he applied to. I am sure every interviewer saw straight through his lies and cockiness. Why would you lie about being a doctor?

This is when I would ask the Gods that be for a "pause" on the Hippocratic oath...just to punch this guy in the face. What. A. Tool.
 
So one of my fellow premeds (who scored a +36 MCAT and graduated with a 3.89 GPA) and I were shadowing in a hospital. We were both dressed in scrubs and had just come out of surgery. We had our booties and surgical caps on and were in the elevator when a guy with a cart tries to come into the elevator. He apologizes to us and asks if we are doctors.

I, of course, say I am just a student shadowing. I explain that I am applying to medical school and will hopefully be here in a few years.

The other premed just looks at him and says, "Well I am wearing scrubs and a mask. The student just said he was shadowing. What do you think I am."

The guy says, "A surgeon?"

The premed looks back and nods. When the guy leaves and the elevator door closes, the premed laughs and says he will be a surgeon someday so it is okay to say he is one now.

People like this piss me off. I am glad the cocky SOB got rejected from every school he applied to. I am sure every interviewer saw straight through his lies and cockiness. Why would you lie about being a doctor?

why didn't u call him out by being like "stfu you're also shadowing you douche"?
 
It seems a pretty common misconception. I was talking to the girl who sits next to me in Calculus, and she mentioned that her older sister had just spent the spring studying for (and presumably taking) the MCAT. My classmate, despite LIVING with someone preparing for med school, did not understand why her sister was studying 5+ hours a day or why it's so important to score high on the MCAT, and is of the opinion that as long as one does in the A or B range in one's pre-med pre-reqs, one should be able to get a decent MCAT score too. Maybe it works that way for the LSAT/GREs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems a pretty common misconception. I was talking to the girl who sits next to me in Calculus, and she mentioned that her older sister had just spent the spring studying for (and presumably taking) the MCAT. My classmate, despite LIVING with someone preparing for med school, did not understand why her sister was studying 5+ hours a day or why it's so important to score high on the MCAT, and is of the opinion that as long as one does in the A or B range in one's pre-med pre-reqs, one should be able to get a decent MCAT score too. Maybe it works that way for the LSAT/GREs?

it works that way for people who don't have and therefore do not understand ambition :shrug:
 
Not exactly pre-med but:

Physics iClicker Question: Which of these affects acceleration? A) Gas Pedal B) Brake C) Steering Wheel D) All of the Above

Girl Behind Me: Ugh how am I supposed to know, I'm not a mechanic!
Me: 😏

Not ashamed to say that I'm THAT student.
 
Not exactly pre-med but:

Physics iClicker Question: Which of these affects acceleration? A) Gas Pedal B) Brake C) Steering Wheel D) All of the Above

Girl Behind Me: Ugh how am I supposed to know, I'm not a mechanic!
Me: 😏

out of curiosity, which did you pick?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.