Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think wanting to look at a family member's medical information is a bad thing for a pre-med. As long as they're not trying to make a diagnosis, of course 😉 Hell, I was doing a science fair project on the heart in 8th grade when my sister was in the hospital for a few weeks due to an accident and the doctors did fun stuff like let me look at the surgical procedure book for a heart transplant and talked to me about what it's like to hold a living heart in your hand. Anything that can be done to encourage scientific/medical curiosity seems like a good thing, in my mind.

And that guy could (assuming he doesn't have a felony) become a nurse and work up to NP-they're just like doctors, right? :laugh:
They have a DNP. They are "doctors" too :laugh:
 
you should really get out of the habit of asking this. maybe noone has told you this before but it's quite rude.
Really? Back when I was in college that was like the single most common talking point that would come up in any conversation between two people in the same class. If people thought it was rude they sure had a very weird way of showing it.
 
Really? Back when I was in college that was like the single most common talking point that would come up in any conversation between two people in the same class. If people thought it was rude they sure had a very weird way of showing it.

This. It was basic convo Btwn my classmates and I. If someone got pissy about it, then we changed the subject. Usually to hating on the course or professor
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's kind of a dick move to ask others what they got if you got a high grade and the
average was low.


On a related note, have you guys ever lied about your grades being lower to make someone else feel better?
 
It's kind of a dick move to ask others what they got if you got a high grade and the
average was low.


On a related note, have you guys ever lied about your grades being lower to make someone else feel better?

I never try to bring up my grades if I know people may have done less. I do know several people who make it a point to tell others how easy they thought a test was. Ironically they perform lower than people who keep their mouths shut.
 
It's kind of a dick move to ask others what they got if you got a high grade and the
average was low.


On a related note, have you guys ever lied about your grades being lower to make someone else feel better?

Not directly lie with a specific grade/number, but yeah I definitely would allow people to think that when they were complaining about their grade. Things like "yeah that was really hard, lots of questions were confusing, etc."
 
A postbac who was in my Physics 1 class during undergrad, regarding a kinematics problem involving a hummingbird:

"But I don't get it... It's a hummingbird so we don't have to account for gravity right?"

Birds are immune to the effects of gravity.

Also, during high school, we were filling out forms for the PSAT maybe and there was a section where we filled in our anticipated major. Someone raises her hand and asks "is premedicine the same as pre-med?"

And OP, great username. Amazing track, amazing album.

In the same vein, when we doing registration for PSAT, a girl in my class asked: "Where is the tick box for majoring in anesthesiology?"
I had to bite my lip. I tried not to laugh out loud.
 
It's kind of a dick move to ask others what they got if you got a high grade and the
average was low.


On a related note, have you guys ever lied about your grades being lower to make someone else feel better?

I'd usually say "You don't want to know how I did, I'll just say it was good" but the people asking me generally expected me to have one of the higher grades in the class, so it didn't sound near as dickish as it might. If they said they really wanted to know, I'd tell them. They all looked forward to the one test a semester I blew off because I knew we got one drop per semester (I did, too, it was nice not worrying about studying!)
 
It's kind of a dick move to ask others what they got if you got a high grade and the
average was low.


On a related note, have you guys ever lied about your grades being lower to make someone else feel better?

I use to feel bad about sharing my grades sometime when others didn't do well until last semester in bio when I had a girl yell at me for getting an A on a test that she got a 42 on. And I mean literally started yelling pissed off about how unfair it was, and that I must have cheated or something because that test was just way to hard to understand, and that the prof. needs to "dumb down the questions", which I brushed off until about 5 minutes later when she preceded to tell the group how she didn't even study for that test or the one we were taking that day and spent her nights partying because this was stupid **it and she didn't know when she'd need it to practice medicine :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed: Yeah, so every test after that I was happy to share my grade with her.
 
In this case, the dumb "pre-med" was myself...

Me (quite loudly into phone while in work breakroom) : Dad, I'm going to med school!

The looks on the faces of the co-workers present ranged from "Yeah right, I'd like to see that happen" to " Ofcourse, you would announce it loudly infront of everyone so they can see how smart you are"

In my defense, there is a timezone difference of 8 hours between me and my parents so this was the best time I could call.

Ofcourse I quickly realized how much like a tool I sounded considering I had a long long way to go i.e prereqs, EC's, MCAT etc and was quick to tell him that it was not happening in the next couple of years.
 
In this case, the dumb "pre-med" was myself...

Me (quite loudly into phone while in work breakroom) : Dad, I'm going to med school!

The looks on the faces of the co-workers present ranged from "Yeah right, I'd like to see that happen" to " Ofcourse, you would announce it loudly infront of everyone so they can see how smart you are"

In my defense, there is a timezone difference of 8 hours between me and my parents so this was the best time I could call.

Ofcourse I quickly realized how much like a tool I sounded considering I had a long long way to go i.e prereqs, EC's, MCAT etc and was quick to tell him that it was not happening in the next couple of years.

So you made a decision to pursuing medicine and have to call your parents to announce it?
 
I'd usually say "You don't want to know how I did, I'll just say it was good" but the people asking me generally expected me to have one of the higher grades in the class, so it didn't sound near as dickish as it might. If they said they really wanted to know, I'd tell them. They all looked forward to the one test a semester I blew off because I knew we got one drop per semester (I did, too, it was nice not worrying about studying!)

:laugh: maybe your friends know you well and the way you delivered it was good or something because If somebody said that to me I think he would sound pretty dickish, especially the "you don't want to know how I did" part. It seems to imply that your grade is so good that it would make them ashamed of their own stupidity.
 
Me: Oh awesome, you're premed too!
Guy: Yeah, but I'm only applying to one medical school.
Me: Um....why only one....?
Guy: Because that's the only school I want to go to. The only one. Yup.
Me: Okay. :eyebrow:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:laugh: maybe your friends know you well and the way you delivered it was good or something because If somebody said that to me I think he would sound pretty dickish, especially the "you don't want to know how I did" part. It seems to imply that your grade is so good that it would make them ashamed of their own stupidity.

Combo of it being good friends and my honestly doing a lot better than they did. If scores were close, I'd just tell them, but if I ended up two grade levels above them, I honestly didn't want to say it because I had no desire to make them feel bad. Our physics teacher was a bit notorious for his trig-based class because he focused on conceptual questions so it was a big change to a lot of people who were used to "memorize this formula and then plug and chug". Also, to be fair, we were a very small class (~27 first semester, 12 second semester) and all became pretty good friends from the many hours we spent together working on homework and labs, so not asking each other about grades would actually have been considered rude by most people. I never had talks like that in, say, Gen Chem where we had ~100 students in the class, outside of a few people I was close to.
 
So this isn't a story about a pre-med but rather a med student:

I work in a med school lab and overheard two professors talking one time. One of them was ranting about a grade petition a student had submitted over a question she got wrong. Apparently her rationale for why she should get the credit for the question was that "this question required us to convert from meters to micrometers which is something that we should not be expected to know. We medical students have enough to learn as it is without having to know pointless trivial details like this. We should only be learning things that have direct relevance to our jobs as doctors".

So just a few things to keep in mind while reading that:

1) This person got into medical school
2) This person may very well be the one writing your prescriptions in the future
3) If you try to grade grub in really stupid ways, yes, your professors are going to mock you behind your back
 
So this isn't a story about a pre-med but rather a med student:

I work in a med school lab and overheard two professors talking one time. One of them was ranting about a grade petition a student had submitted over a question she got wrong. Apparently her rationale for why she should get the credit for the question was that "this question required us to convert from meters to micrometers which is something that we should not be expected to know. We medical students have enough to learn as it is without having to know pointless trivial details like this. We should only be learning things that have direct relevance to our jobs as doctors".

So just a few things to keep in mind while reading that:

1) This person got into medical school
2) This person may very well be the one writing your prescriptions in the future
3) If you try to grade grub in really stupid ways, yes, your professors are going to mock you behind your back

i find it difficult to believe that someone who has taken a science class (especially physics) doesn't know what micro means.
 
i find it difficult to believe that someone who has taken a science class (especially physics) doesn't know what micro means.

I remember a post on here a few years ago about a doctor and a shadowing junior who were both unable to convert milligrams into CC's or something. Though a bit more difficult than a conversion of 10/\3 -> 10/\-6, it goes to show that people do forget simple conversion factors.
 
I remember a post on here a few years ago about a doctor and a shadowing junior who were both unable to convert milligrams into CC's or something. Though a bit more difficult than a conversion of 10/\3 -> 10/\-6, it goes to show that people do forget simple conversion factors.

Now if it were milliliters to CC, then I would be shocked. (1 mL = 1 CC = 1 cm^3 = 1 g of water).

How does one convert mg to CC without a known density? (unless it is water with a density of 1 g/mL)
 
Now if it were milliliters to CC, then I would be shocked. (1 mL = 1 CC = 1 cm^3 = 1 g of water).

How does one convert mg to CC without a known density? (unless it is water with a density of 1 g/mL)

I don't remember, I actually on second thought I think it was something easier like micro litters. But either way, the point being is that the junior, the doctor, and even a nurse were all stumped and needed to pull out calculators or look up conversion factors.
 
So this isn't a story about a pre-med but rather a med student:

I work in a med school lab and overheard two professors talking one time. One of them was ranting about a grade petition a student had submitted over a question she got wrong. Apparently her rationale for why she should get the credit for the question was that "this question required us to convert from meters to micrometers which is something that we should not be expected to know. We medical students have enough to learn as it is without having to know pointless trivial details like this. We should only be learning things that have direct relevance to our jobs as doctors".

So just a few things to keep in mind while reading that:

1) This person got into medical school
2) This person may very well be the one writing your prescriptions in the future
3) If you try to grade grub in really stupid ways, yes, your professors are going to mock you behind your back

Need insulin for your diabeetus?? Ok, how many lbs would you like?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a quote per se, but I had the amusing experience of a pre-med gunner showing up to the library, seeing that all of the study rooms were taken, and then proceeding to sign up for a room reservation for that current study hour so that he could kick a group out. I'm sure it happens all of the time, but this fool did it within my field of vision.
 
So true..
In a conversation with my mom about possible med schools to apply, she goes

Mom: "Why don't you just go to UCSF? It's close by to where your sister lives and stuff."

me: ................(May I remind you that UCSF is ranked top 5 in NIH grants alongside with Harvard, U Penn, and Johns Hopkins? And also the fact that it is one of the most selective schools in the nation?)......"sigh".....

"sure mom." :lame:
Reminds me of a recent conversation with my mother about unrealistic/high expectations.

Me: I think I'm going to have to apply at the end of senior year instead of junior year. My GPA still needs some repair (<3.5).

Mom: Well, but you can make up with the MCAT, right? Just study hard and get a 38. I'm sure it's within reach.

Me: 😱 ... I'll try. :lame: :scared:
 
Not a quote per se, but I had the amusing experience of a pre-med gunner showing up to the library, seeing that all of the study rooms were taken, and then proceeding to sign up for a room reservation for that current study hour so that he could kick a group out. I'm sure it happens all of the time, but this fool did it within my field of vision.

I hope you proceeded to do the same to him every chance you got, even if the rooms weren't all full...
 
I think you should all know, I just read this entire thread, back to front, to make sure I wasn't missing some essential premed secret.
But don't worry guys, relax. I am not one of the misinformed.
I can sleep now..
(also I think statement qualifies as a misinformed premed quote in itself.)

I have one to contribute as well- Recently my friend (who has been pre-pharm since we met) told me that pharm was too competitive, so he was going to go pre-med.
I was like, ummm, good luck
 
So much arrogance on this forum.


Most people here are just having a little fun with some of the ridiculous things that some of our fellow premeds say. If anything, it's more "higher-than-thou" of you to think you're above poking fun at others' silly comments and obliviousness.
 
So much arrogance on this forum.
well theres a little red box in the upper right corner you can click if things get toooooo terribly arrogant in here. this thread is for kids to blow off steam, get a good chuckle or two, laugh at themselves if need be, and go about their merry way. grow a pair 🙄
 
Not a pre-med, but a person impersonating a doctor... and how different are they, really? 😉

When my dad was a resident, he had a patient (who was an addict) who stole a prescription pad and attempted to forge a prescription for morphine and use it at the pharmacy. The pharmacist looked at it and called the hospital, explaining that he believed the prescription to be forged.

The reason the pharmacist was suspicious was because the prescription read:

"Mofeen, 1 lb"

EDIT: Apparently this is an urban legend? Sorry guys, looks like I was lied to! 🙁
 
Last edited:
Ok, I'll be the butt of the joke on this one.

Freshman year me: I got a B in pre-calc!! Oh how am I ever gonna get into med school??!!11!! :scared:

Senior me: lol****math :laugh:
 
well theres a little red box in the upper right corner you can click if things get toooooo terribly arrogant in here. this thread is for kids to blow off steam, get a good chuckle or two, laugh at themselves if need be, and go about their merry way. grow a pair 🙄

Not if you have a mac.😉
 
Not a pre-med, but a person impersonating a doctor... and how different are they, really? 😉

When my dad was a resident, he had a patient (who was an addict) who stole a prescription pad and attempted to forge a prescription for morphine and use it at the pharmacy. The pharmacist looked at it and called the hospital, explaining that he believed the prescription to be forged.

The reason the pharmacist was suspicious was because the prescription read:

"Mofeen, 1 lb"

This did not happen to your father. This is a classic urban legend that gets knocked around here all the time, just like how your uncle's cousin's boss knew a woman who named her kids orangejello and lemonjello. Didn't happen.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/mofeen.asp
 
Last edited:
This did not happen to your father. This is a classic urban legend that gets knocked around here all the time, just like how your uncle's cousin's boss knew a woman who named her kids orangejello and lemonjello. Didn't happen.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/mofeen.asp

I absolutely love it when this happens :laugh:

I dated a girl before who said she had a friend who knew a girl named "La-a" (pronounced "La dash-a") Got to use http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp in a similar manner :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I absolutely love it when this happens :laugh:

I dated a girl before who said she had a friend who knew a girl named "La-a" (pronounced "La dash-a") Got to use http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp in a similar manner :laugh:

My cop friend pulled over a Le-a (pronounced Ledasha) once. He tells the story to everyone. I guess he could be lying, but there's not really a reason to. He's got enough ridiculous stories that he doesn't need to make one up. That name is real, even if the email is fake, which is why the snopes status is "undetermined".
 
My cop friend pulled over a Le-a (pronounced Ledasha) once. He tells the story to everyone. I guess he could be lying, but there's not really a reason to. He's got enough ridiculous stories that he doesn't need to make one up. That name is real, even if the email is fake, which is why the snopes status is "undetermined".



Your friend is almost certainly making it up.
 
It's kind of a dick move to ask others what they got if you got a high grade and the
average was low.


On a related note, have you guys ever lied about your grades being lower to make someone else feel better?
I would say "Can you get me into a top 10 medical school? If not shut the f**k up."
 
I'm not sure why people get upset when, if they say they're going to medical school, they are asked if they're going to be a nurse or something? At the ER I work in, I had a girl visit her sister one night. She was dressed in scrubs and was wearing a name tag. Underneath it, it said "Medical Student." Even I was wondering if it was some allied health profession or something and not "real" medical school, and this less than two months ago! Haha. I asked her and she said she was going to Touro in NYC. It's just a vague term. Relax people 😛

Anyways, the pre-meds I went to school with seemed pretty well-informed so I'm just gonna go with my own uninformed thoughts.

-When first deciding to go to medical school, I thought I had to pick the field of specialty I wanted to go into like a major in college.

-Had no idea that neurology (what I have a strong interest in) had residency AND a fellowship!

-Totally clueless on application timeline, like when to apply, etc. My friend corrected me a lot on that.

-How hard could the MCAT be? It's just on biology, chemistry and physics, and I did good in those courses! Yeah...

-Did not know that 3rd and 4th year med students are pretty much only at the hospital and not the medical school. And I learned this within the last year too. Whoops.

-Thought there was a pre-med major. When searching for a 4-year university, I was looking specifically if they had a pre-medicine major. Amazingly, none did! Except one. I think it was Penn State but I can't remember.
 
Me: yeah Im going to be a sohpmore majoring in psycholgy I have a pre med minor
Girl: O cool so how do you like medical school
Me: No no im just pre med as of right now
Girl: o thats cool dont worry a few more years and you wont have to worry about money at all.
Me🙁Like an Idiot) Well uhhh.. I have to do 3 years of Ugrad then 4 years of medical training then 3+ years of specialty training
Girl: wut no my friend did that at the Community college it only took 2 years.
Me: Face Palm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.