Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me: yeah Im going to be a sohpmore majoring in psycholgy I have a pre med minor
Girl: O cool so how do you like medical school
Me: No no im just pre med as of right now
Girl: o thats cool dont worry a few more years and you wont have to worry about money at all.
Me🙁Like an Idiot) Well uhhh.. I have to do 3 years of Ugrad then 4 years of medical training then 3+ years of specialty training
Girl: wut no my friend did that at the Community college it only took 2 years.
Me: Face Palm

so which is the example of a pre-med saying something silly?
 
I'm not sure why people get upset when, if they say they're going to medical school, they are asked if they're going to be a nurse or something? At the ER I work in, I had a girl visit her sister one night. She was dressed in scrubs and was wearing a name tag. Underneath it, it said "Medical Student." Even I was wondering if it was some allied health profession or something and not "real" medical school, and this less than two months ago! Haha. I asked her and she said she was going to Touro in NYC. It's just a vague term. Relax people 😛

Anyways, the pre-meds I went to school with seemed pretty well-informed so I'm just gonna go with my own uninformed thoughts.

-When first deciding to go to medical school, I thought I had to pick the field of specialty I wanted to go into like a major in college.

-Had no idea that neurology (what I have a strong interest in) had residency AND a fellowship!

-Totally clueless on application timeline, like when to apply, etc. My friend corrected me a lot on that.

-How hard could the MCAT be? It's just on biology, chemistry and physics, and I did good in those courses! Yeah...

-Did not know that 3rd and 4th year med students are pretty much only at the hospital and not the medical school. And I learned this within the last year too. Whoops.

-Thought there was a pre-med major. When searching for a 4-year university, I was looking specifically if they had a pre-medicine major. Amazingly, none did! Except one. I think it was Penn State but I can't remember.

This one isn't so bizarre to me, as it was fairly common in the past to do internal medicine followed my neurology in the old days.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This one isn't so bizarre to me, as it was fairly common in the past to do internal medicine followed my neurology in the old days.

I suppose I thought it was bad because my friend scolded me at the time for not knowing about this. She even went as far as to say it was "scary" that I wanted to be a doctor and didn't know this. I thought it was common knowledge after that.
 
I suppose I thought it was bad because my friend scolded me at the time for not knowing about this. She even went as far as to say it was "scary" that I wanted to be a doctor and didn't know this. I thought it was common knowledge after that.

Nope. The only people who really know the structure of the paths are applying M4s 😉
Tell your friend to get off her high horse and unbunch her panties
 
-Thought there was a pre-med major. When searching for a 4-year university, I was looking specifically if they had a pre-medicine major. Amazingly, none did! Except one. I think it was Penn State but I can't remember.

Yeah, Penn State does have premed as an actual major, as does a few other schools I've heard of but can't remember. As you've found out, it's not very popular. A lot of people on here have never heard of such a major.
 
Yeah, Penn State does have premed as an actual major, as does a few other schools I've heard of but can't remember. As you've found out, it's not very popular. A lot of people on here have never heard of such a major.

And yet, most people in high school think it's an actual major at most schools 😉
 
And yet, most people in high school think it's an actual major at most schools 😉

Unfortunately. Not only is it an awfully rare major, but ironically it's just about the worst undergrad major there is for med school admission IMO (which is why most schools don't have such a major). You pretty much take all the prereqs and a few upper level classes like biochem and pchem. That's basically it. The degree is pretty much useless if you don't get into med school. I think Penn State boasts like a 75% med school acceptance rate* by premed majors because they require you to maintain a certain GPA else they kick you out.

*I completely made that number up, I really have no idea

edit: sorry for getting too off topic
 
This did not happen to your father. This is a classic urban legend that gets knocked around here all the time, just like how your uncle's cousin's boss knew a woman who named her kids orangejello and lemonjello. Didn't happen.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/mofeen.asp

😱 I feel cheated! This is one of my favorite of his stories... Someone is going to get a very grumpy phone call tomorrow.
 
Unfortunately. Not only is it an awfully rare major, but ironically it's just about the worst undergrad major there is for med school admission IMO (which is why most schools don't have such a major). You pretty much take all the prereqs and a few upper level classes like biochem and pchem. That's basically it. The degree is pretty much useless if you don't get into med school. I think Penn State boasts like a 75% med school acceptance rate* by premed majors because they require you to maintain a certain GPA else they kick you out.

*I completely made that number up, I really have no idea

edit: sorry for getting too off topic

I was wondering about this... do you have any stats (if they even exist) about pre med majors applying? With adcoms looking for well rounded individuals you would expect this to be a hindrance
 
I think Penn State boasts like a 75% med school acceptance rate* by premed majors because they require you to maintain a certain GPA else they kick you out.

*I completely made that number up, I really have no idea

edit: sorry for getting too off topic

That's actually not true (though the numbers are just about right). Penn State does NOT screen its applicants one bit. As such, their percentage of overall juniors who apply to medical school have a 65% acceptance rate (vs a lot of small LACs who DO have a screening in place and boast 90+% acceptance rate). Additionally, there is a roughly 70% acceptance rate from the undergrad "Premedicine" major that applied.

One of the reasons I liked Penn State so much was that they did NOT try to deter you from applying. They are proud of their numbers . . . usually the only schools who do mention their acceptance rates on their website are the ones who actually do screen out "lesser" would-be applicants so they can mention their 95% acceptance rate to med school, luring in unsuspecting high school students.

As an aside, there were 5 Penn State undergrad students who were in my medical school class, including myself (class size ~150). . . 3 of us were AOA and graduated magna cum laude, 2 of us matched derm, 1 into ophtho, and 1 into one of the most prestigious internal medicine programs in the country. That's pretty good representation for one school.
 
I'm not sure why people get upset when, if they say they're going to medical school, they are asked if they're going to be a nurse or something? At the ER I work in, I had a girl visit her sister one night. She was dressed in scrubs and was wearing a name tag. Underneath it, it said "Medical Student." Even I was wondering if it was some allied health profession or something and not "real" medical school, and this less than two months ago! Haha. I asked her and she said she was going to Touro in NYC. It's just a vague term. Relax people 😛

Anyways, the pre-meds I went to school with seemed pretty well-informed so I'm just gonna go with my own uninformed thoughts.

-When first deciding to go to medical school, I thought I had to pick the field of specialty I wanted to go into like a major in college.

-Had no idea that neurology (what I have a strong interest in) had residency AND a fellowship!

-Totally clueless on application timeline, like when to apply, etc. My friend corrected me a lot on that.

-How hard could the MCAT be? It's just on biology, chemistry and physics, and I did good in those courses! Yeah...

-Did not know that 3rd and 4th year med students are pretty much only at the hospital and not the medical school. And I learned this within the last year too. Whoops.

-Thought there was a pre-med major. When searching for a 4-year university, I was looking specifically if they had a pre-medicine major. Amazingly, none did! Except one. I think it was Penn State but I can't remember.

I'm guilty of most of these lol it's funny now to see how clueless I was. I think it actually helps out when you get that nice dose of reality about what you are in store for. Humbles you
 
That's actually not true (though the numbers are just about right). Penn State does NOT screen its applicants one bit. As such, their percentage of overall juniors who apply to medical school have a 65% acceptance rate (vs a lot of small LACs who DO have a screening in place and boast 90+% acceptance rate). Additionally, there is a roughly 70% acceptance rate from the undergrad "Premedicine" major that applied.

One of the reasons I liked Penn State so much was that they did NOT try to deter you from applying. They are proud of their numbers . . . usually the only schools who do mention their acceptance rates on their website are the ones who actually do screen out "lesser" would-be applicants so they can mention their 95% acceptance rate to med school, luring in unsuspecting high school students.

As an aside, there were 5 Penn State undergrad students who were in my medical school class, including myself (class size ~150). . . 3 of us were AOA and graduated magna cum laude, 2 of us matched derm, 1 into ophtho, and 1 into one of the most prestigious internal medicine programs in the country. That's pretty good representation for one school.


Haha that is a very nice representation of Penn State. Love it. As far as the GPA requirement, I was referring to this, perhaps the only instance of their screening applicants:

http://science.psu.edu/premed/special-programs

It's "recommended" that one keeps a 3.7 in this program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha that is a very nice representation of Penn State. Love it. As far as the GPA requirement, I was referring to this, perhaps the only instance of their screening applicants:

http://science.psu.edu/premed/special-programs

It's "recommended" that one keeps a 3.7 in this program.

Gotcha . . . not sure exactly to what degree they "recommend" vs. "practically require" that 3.7, but I will say that that is pretty much specific to that major, as far as I know. I was a non premedical sciences major and no one ever said anything to me about what GPA I should have (aside from the obvious "the higher it is the better your chances are). I can't say I know of anyone with a real low GPA who was blindly gunning for a bunch of MD programs; however, I do know that our advisers seem to do a pretty good job of getting Penn State students into DO programs if their stats may not be very competitive for MD programs. This is not at all to suggest that they discourage people from applying MD and force them to apply DO; rather, they simply do a good job of presenting both options and explaining which ones may be more appropriate for a given situation.

All that said, the school is huge and I don't pretend to know anywhere near half the people who probably end up applying in a given year. But I do know that the education I received there was fantastic, and I felt very prepared for medical school (as did my fellow Penn Staters who ended up at my medical school, it seems).
 
I was in a freshman writing class and when the professor took attendance on the first day, we had to reply with our high school mascot. He called this guy's name and he said his high school didn't have a mascot, so the prof asked if he could choose any mascot, what would it be? His response? "Whatever the mascot of Johns Hopkins Medical School is" The prof's face was PRICELESS.
 
I was in a freshman writing class and when the professor took attendance on the first day, we had to reply with our high school mascot. He called this guy's name and he said his high school didn't have a mascot, so the prof asked if he could choose any mascot, what would it be? His response? "Whatever the mascot of Johns Hopkins Medical School is" The prof's face was PRICELESS.

I literally just laughed out loud.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
 
I was in a freshman writing class and when the professor took attendance on the first day, we had to reply with our high school mascot. He called this guy's name and he said his high school didn't have a mascot, so the prof asked if he could choose any mascot, what would it be? His response? "Whatever the mascot of Johns Hopkins Medical School is" The prof's face was PRICELESS.



Ohhhh Gawwwwwd. I would hate premeds if I was a professor.
 
In the TA room while people are studying for a gen chem exam...

TA who is starting med school in fall: blah blah blah start med school in fall
premed (freshman): what kind of doctor do you want to be?
TA: ohhh i'm thinking emergency medicine
premed: who cool! but didn't you say you were going to be a osteopathic doctor or something like that?
TA: yeahhhh that's the kind of medical school i'm going to. it's just a DO school. it's exactly like getting an MD.
premed: ohhhh sweet. yeah i think that's what i want to do too!

I'm sure there are some people that might actually want to go to a DO school instead of an MD if given the choice... but....
 
In the TA room while people are studying for a gen chem exam...

TA who is starting med school in fall: blah blah blah start med school in fall
premed (freshman): what kind of doctor do you want to be?
TA: ohhh i'm thinking emergency medicine
premed: who cool! but didn't you say you were going to be a osteopathic doctor or something like that?
TA: yeahhhh that's the kind of medical school i'm going to. it's just a DO school. it's exactly like getting an MD.
premed: ohhhh sweet. yeah i think that's what i want to do too!

I'm sure there are some people that might actually want to go to a DO school instead of an MD if given the choice... but....



That was stupid if that was a shot at DOs. The only (somewhat) entertaining part of that was the pre-med blindly aspiring to do the same thing as the TA, and that wasn't even that funny.
 
In the TA room while people are studying for a gen chem exam...

TA who is starting med school in fall: blah blah blah start med school in fall
premed (freshman): what kind of doctor do you want to be?
TA: ohhh i'm thinking emergency medicine
premed: who cool! but didn't you say you were going to be a osteopathic doctor or something like that?
TA: yeahhhh that's the kind of medical school i'm going to. it's just a DO school. it's exactly like getting an MD.
premed: ohhhh sweet. yeah i think that's what i want to do too!

I'm sure there are some people that might actually want to go to a DO school instead of an MD if given the choice... but....

So one time this premed on SDN thought he was being funny, but in fact his post kind of sucked. I quoted the post for all you guys to laugh at.
 
I live in a very urban area, and work with young children.I have absolutely met a La-a, it's the new "nevaeh". I've also met an ABCDE (pronounced absidee),and a little boy named Liam, not pronounced lee-am,but yum..it's short for william....people think this is creative, I suppose... I guess it's better than Aiden, brayden, jayden and kayden though..
 
That was stupid if that was a shot at DOs. The only (somewhat) entertaining part of that was the pre-med blindly aspiring to do the same thing as the TA, and that wasn't even that funny.

Definitely wasn't supposed to be a shot at DOs... but the fact that MDs are usually considered ahead of DOs for residency positions and jobs would make me think that becoming an MD is a better option if given the choice. I guess the second part of your quote was more of what i found funny in the whole scenario

phail 🙁
 
I live in a very urban area, and work with young children.I have absolutely met a La-a, it's the new "nevaeh". I've also met an ABCDE (pronounced absidee),and a little boy named Liam, not pronounced lee-am,but yum..it's short for william....people think this is creative, I suppose... I guess it's better than Aiden, brayden, jayden and kayden though..

At my HS there were three people named Prince, Princess, and Seven... they were all related. Also when i was shadowing a pediatrician there was a baby girl named Baby Girl... and she wasn't just born or anything. she was two years old!
 
I live in a very urban area, and work with young children.I have absolutely met a La-a, it's the new "nevaeh". I've also met an ABCDE (pronounced absidee),and a little boy named Liam, not pronounced lee-am,but yum..it's short for william....people think this is creative, I suppose... I guess it's better than Aiden, brayden, jayden and kayden though..



hahahaa on a similar note, my brother was an M4 in a moderately urban area (near St. Louis city) in which he witnessed a lady put the name ****head (pronounced "Shi-tade") on her child's birth certificate


dang, they edited out the good part!
 
Last edited:
At my HS there were three people named Prince, Princess, and Seven... they were all related. Also when i was shadowing a pediatrician there was a baby girl named Baby Girl... and she wasn't just born or anything. she was two years old!

I hear a lot of grown woman referred to as "baby girl", that must be a legit name for young woman. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the TA room while people are studying for a gen chem exam...

TA who is starting med school in fall: blah blah blah start med school in fall
premed (freshman): what kind of doctor do you want to be?
TA: ohhh i'm thinking emergency medicine
premed: who cool! but didn't you say you were going to be a osteopathic doctor or something like that?
TA: yeahhhh that's the kind of medical school i'm going to. it's just a DO school. it's exactly like getting an MD.
premed: ohhhh sweet. yeah i think that's what i want to do too!

I'm sure there are some people that might actually want to go to a DO school instead of an MD if given the choice... but....

I award you no points.
 
In the TA room while people are studying for a gen chem exam...

TA who is starting med school in fall: blah blah blah start med school in fall
premed (freshman): what kind of doctor do you want to be?
TA: ohhh i'm thinking emergency medicine
premed: who cool! but didn't you say you were going to be a osteopathic doctor or something like that?
TA: yeahhhh that's the kind of medical school i'm going to. it's just a DO school. it's exactly like getting an MD.
premed: ohhhh sweet. yeah i think that's what i want to do too!

I'm sure there are some people that might actually want to go to a DO school instead of an MD if given the choice... but....

0/10 👎
 
This one is completely, 100% serious from spring quarter:

"I don't need to study for the MCAT and anyone who does is wasting their time, that's what I'm paying all this money to take the undergrad classes for. Just pay attention in your classes and you will be fine, if you have to study for it you obviously didn't pay attention well enough the first time."
 
Past story

Me: so are you applying this semester?
Student: yep.
Me: cool. Well good luck.
Student: Thanks. I really don't think I should have a problem getting in though... I'm applying to the state school and a few ivys.
Me: Nice 🙄
Student: Yeah, plus after this semester my GPA should be up to a 3.45.
Me:😕

laugh
 
Talking to someone while walking my dog today, after he says he wants to go to med school. Realize he's about 22 and finishing up college.

Me: Getting ready for the MCAT?
Him: Whats that?

Ummmm, good luck with applying.
I did explain what it was and he said he would "get crackin"
 
Talking to someone while walking my dog today, after he says he wants to go to med school. Realize he's about 22 and finishing up college.

Me: Getting ready for the MCAT?
Him: Whats that?

Ummmm, good luck with applying.
I did explain what it was and he said he would "get crackin"

Lord have mercy.

I had a similar one. I am a tutor and I tutor this chick who wants to be a nurse. One day, we have a session at her house and I am introduced to her father. We exchanged a few words and then plunged into a full conversation. I cannot count how many times he referred to his daughter as a "princess" or a "good girl." We then started discussing career goals and I said I was thinking about medical school. He smiled and said, "So what kind of nurse do you want to be?" I just kinda shrugged....😕

His daughter also believes that it is medical school she is applying to rather than nursing school. It frustrates me.
 
Lord have mercy.

I had a similar one. I am a tutor and I tutor this chick who wants to be a nurse. One day, we have a session at her house and I am introduced to her father. We exchanged a few words and then plunged into a full conversation. I cannot count how many times he referred to his daughter as a "princess" or a "good girl." We then started discussing career goals and I said I was thinking about medical school. He smiled and said, "So what kind of nurse do you want to be?" I just kinda shrugged....😕

His daughter also believes that it is medical school she is applying to rather than nursing school. It frustrates me.

Lol did you correct them?
 
Definitely wasn't supposed to be a shot at DOs... but the fact that MDs are usually considered ahead of DOs for residency positions and jobs would make me think that becoming an MD is a better option if given the choice. I guess the second part of your quote was more of what i found funny in the whole scenario

phail 🙁


haha well, in that case, at least you tried! I wish I had some funny quotes to add to this forum, but the pre-meds at my school generally know what they're talking about..But then again, I stray away from the freshmen so that could be why
 
Its a pet peeve of mine when some nurses and allied health people say they are going to medical school. Ummm no. No you are not. good try.

I am of the opinion that this is a form of "rounding up" done by people with inferiority complexes. Medicine and nursing are both healthcare, but not both medicine.

I have a PhD candidate friend whose program is changing the name from cell and molecular biolgy to "molecular medicine" and we discussed this for awhile. I also have a problem with this usage. There is nothing "medicine" about what they do regardless of the extent of disease processes they study. It is more about the rhetoric (and the allocation of NIH funds) than actually being true to the language used.
 
I am of the opinion that this is a form of "rounding up" done by people with inferiority complexes. Medicine and nursing are both healthcare, but not both medicine.

I have a PhD candidate friend whose program is changing the name from cell and molecular biolgy to "molecular medicine" and we discussed this for awhile. I also have a problem with this usage. There is nothing "medicine" about what they do regardless of the extent of disease processes they study. It is more about the rhetoric (and the allocation of NIH funds) than actually being true to the language used.
ive already said this story in this thread, but ive got a cousin that got accepted into some podunk community college-type program where she can become a medical assistant. "yeaaaaaaah i just got into medical school" was her fb status. yeah right. also have some friends that "want to go to medical school" just so they can be a nurse and have asked me for pointers. i have to walk away.:scared:
 
I hear a lot of grown woman referred to as "baby girl", that must be a legit name for young woman. :laugh:

At my wife's high school for the arts, her classmates included a "Soda," a "Coffee," and a "TV." They were all spelled that way on the birth certificates.

On a similar note, I intend to use "Danger" for my son's middle name. Can you imagine being able to say "Danger's my middle name" when trying to pick someone up at a bar? Dude, you'll never need another pick-up line and the only prop necessary will always be your driver's license. Yeah, I'm totally serious, verging on 30; and my wife is down with the plan. LoL
 
Last edited:
At my wife's high school for the arts, her classmates included a "Soda," a "Coffee," and "TV." They were all spelled that way on the birth certificates.

On a similar note, I intend to use "Danger" for my son's middle name. Can you imagine being able to say "Danger's my middle name" when trying to pick someone up at a bar? Dude, you'll never need another pick-up line and the only prop necessary will always be your driver's license. Yeah, I'm totally serious, verging on 30; and my wife is down with the plan. LoL
You're trying to get your unborn child laid?

I wish you were my parents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my wife's high school for the arts, her classmates included a "Soda," a "Coffee," and a "TV." They were all spelled that way on the birth certificates.

On a similar note, I intend to use "Danger" for my son's middle name. Can you imagine being able to say "Danger's my middle name" when trying to pick someone up at a bar? Dude, you'll never need another pick-up line and the only prop necessary will always be your driver's license. Yeah, I'm totally serious, verging on 30; and my wife is down with the plan. LoL

That sucks for your son.
 
At my wife's high school for the arts, her classmates included a "Soda," a "Coffee," and a "TV." They were all spelled that way on the birth certificates.

On a similar note, I intend to use "Danger" for my son's middle name. Can you imagine being able to say "Danger's my middle name" when trying to pick someone up at a bar? Dude, you'll never need another pick-up line and the only prop necessary will always be your driver's license. Yeah, I'm totally serious, verging on 30; and my wife is down with the plan. LoL
👍
 
MDapps has been down for about a week now. There's a thread about it, probably somewhere on the front page
 
Status
Not open for further replies.