Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, but I met this Asian girl the other day who is "studying to become an orthopedic surgeon because her parents said so."
 
This was yesterday.
Them: I've already been accepted and offered full scholarship.
Me: Congrats, so you applied edp?
Them: No, I submitted AMCAS in August so I was in very early.

🙄

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
This was yesterday.
Them: I've already been accepted and offered full scholarship.
Me: Congrats, so you applied edp?
Them: No, I submitted AMCAS in August so I was in very early.

🙄

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

while it is possible that they have extended an acceptance I am calling BS on the full ride thing.
 
This was yesterday.
Them: I've already been accepted and offered full scholarship.
Me: Congrats, so you applied edp?
Them: No, I submitted AMCAS in August so I was in very early.

🙄

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
I wonder what s/he'd have said if you just flat out said "Acceptances aren't offered until October 15th" and you neglected to mention the existence of EDP....
images
 
unless something has changed schools aren't allowed to offer acceptances until october 15

I guess I never knew that... I just knew that schools would extend a few early.

From what I have experienced, many schools will actually save >50% of their acceptances for the final pool so the whole "apply early" thing, while technically helpful, is overrated IMO. I know several people with only so-so stats (i mean... good, but nothing stellar) who were accepted after submitting in the first week of november. I would be interested to see a plot of acceptance vs time submitted, but it would have to be normalized for score because the ultra type-As will have theirs submitted instantly anyways.
 
Not really a dumb quote but these 2 kids were talking about where they had applied and gotten accepted for UG and this one girl mentioned how she got accepted at U of Chicago for undergrad, because I stated that's where I'd like to go for med school, and this other white premed kid who got rejected by U of Chicago flat out said "I applied to, it's probably because you're a minority"
 
I guess I never knew that... I just knew that schools would extend a few early.

From what I have experienced, many schools will actually save >50% of their acceptances for the final pool so the whole "apply early" thing, while technically helpful, is overrated IMO. I know several people with only so-so stats (i mean... good, but nothing stellar) who were accepted after submitting in the first week of november. I would be interested to see a plot of acceptance vs time submitted, but it would have to be normalized for score because the ultra type-As will have theirs submitted instantly anyways.

some med school admissions office (michigan I think) has a blog where they posted this graph....not normalized for scores of course. it showed that interview invites declined pretty drastically as time went on so applying early was an advantage. maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about and will post a link.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
some med school admissions office (michigan I think) has a blog where they posted this graph....not normalized for scores of course. it showed that interview invites declined pretty drastically as time went on so applying early was an advantage. maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about and will post a link.

I suppose it varies school by school as well. :shrug:
 
some med school admissions office (michigan I think) has a blog where they posted this graph....not normalized for scores of course. it showed that interview invites declined pretty drastically as time went on so applying early was an advantage. maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about and will post a link.

I do, but I don't have it around. I actually made a graph using it for the students in our pre-med program back when I ran it. It sent a pretty strong message to the students to apply early (and also let them know what "early" meant -- basically be "complete" by the end of August and you're good as there is no difference in chances b/w June, July and August, but if you wait 'til September, your chances are basically cut down by like 1/3 and then another 1/3 by October with just a couple percent chance if you're complete in November and no chance after that).
 
unless something has changed schools aren't allowed to offer acceptances until october 15

Yea.





I wonder what s/he'd have said if you just flat out said "Acceptances aren't offered until October 15th" and you neglected to mention the existence of EDP....
images

I don't normally call people out irl. I'm much nicer than I am on SDN.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
This may not be that bad and in hindsight the speaker may have set them up, but I felt like I had to give back to this thread after it's given me much laughter.

Earlier today:
I'm at a pre-health meeting (don't ask me why) and one of the speakers was talking about the HPSP. He asked how many people want to become doctors. Everyone's hand shoots up.
Speaker: "So, who knows what they want to do with their lives?"
Student 1: "Orthopedic surgeon"
Student 2: "Cardiothoracic(sp?) surgeon"
Student 3: "Oncologist"
Student 4: "Pediatrician"
Me: 🙄

You should have heard the conviction with which these kids spoke...
Also, keep in mind that all of these kids sat in a group about 2 rows from the front of the room

Later on, near the end of the speech:
Speaker: "So, who in here is a freshman?"
*Four hands shoot up, along with a few others*
Me, to myself: 😎 "Well, that explains it..."
 
This may not be that bad and in hindsight the speaker may have set them up, but I felt like I had to give back to this thread after it's given me much laughter.

Earlier today:
I'm at a pre-health meeting (don't ask me why) and one of the speakers was talking about the HPSP. He asked how many people want to become doctors. Everyone's hand shoots up.
Speaker: "So, who knows what they want to do with their lives?"
Student 1: "Orthopedic surgeon"
Student 2: "Cardiothoracic(sp?) surgeon"
Student 3: "Oncologist"
Student 4: "Pediatrician"
Me: 🙄

You should have heard the conviction with which these kids spoke...
Also, keep in mind that all of these kids sat in a group about 2 rows from the front of the room

Later on, near the end of the speech:
Speaker: "So, who in here is a freshman?"
*Four hands shoot up, along with a few others*
Me, to myself: 😎 "Well, that explains it..."

It always amazes me how some people have this really specific goals about what kind of doctors they want to become... Every time I hear something like this, I think of this thread
 
It always amazes me how some people have this really specific goals about what kind of doctors they want to become... Every time I hear something like this, I think of this thread

MedPR = future Neurosurgeon and chief of surgery. Umadbro?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
This is just a funny story about myself.

I went to the ER today to see if I could shadow a doctor, I walk through the ambulance entrance, and go to where all the nurses/ techs and doctors are working. I ask very loudly if there were any osteopathic doctors here. One doctor raises his hand timidly and I ask if I can start shadowing him. He said sure and have me his schedule. It's that easy apparently.. Buying scrubs and a lab coat. I start tomorrow.
 
This is just a funny story about myself.

I went to the ER today to see if I could shadow a doctor, I walk through the ambulance entrance, and go to where all the nurses/ techs and doctors are working. I ask very loudly if there were any osteopathic doctors here. One doctor raises his hand timidly and I ask if I can start shadowing him. He said sure and have me his schedule. It's that easy apparently.. Buying scrubs and a lab coat. I start tomorrow.

Lmao. Brilliant!
 
This is just a funny story about myself.

I went to the ER today to see if I could shadow a doctor, I walk through the ambulance entrance, and go to where all the nurses/ techs and doctors are working. I ask very loudly if there were any osteopathic doctors here. One doctor raises his hand timidly and I ask if I can start shadowing him. He said sure and have me his schedule. It's that easy apparently.. Buying scrubs and a lab coat. I start tomorrow.

hahaha!! this was brilliant. Good for you!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not all schools give out degrees with a B.A. and B.S. option. At my school, if you major in a science you get a B.S. no matter what. If you major in a non-science, it is a B.A.

That's why I don't really think the difference matters much in the application process.

And at some schools, ALL degrees are BS!

Haha, but jokes aside, some schools don't offer a B.S. at all. It's pretty common in liberal arts colleges, some of which actually have pretty good science programs, to give all of their students, regardless of major or academic rigor, a B.A.
 
This may not be that bad and in hindsight the speaker may have set them up, but I felt like I had to give back to this thread after it's given me much laughter.

Earlier today:
I'm at a pre-health meeting (don't ask me why) and one of the speakers was talking about the HPSP. He asked how many people want to become doctors. Everyone's hand shoots up.
Speaker: "So, who knows what they want to do with their lives?"
Student 1: "Orthopedic surgeon"
Student 2: "Cardiothoracic(sp?) surgeon"
Student 3: "Oncologist"
Student 4: "Pediatrician"
Me: 🙄

You should have heard the conviction with which these kids spoke...
Also, keep in mind that all of these kids sat in a group about 2 rows from the front of the room

Later on, near the end of the speech:
Speaker: "So, who in here is a freshman?"
*Four hands shoot up, along with a few others*
Me, to myself: 😎 "Well, that explains it..."

I have to say I somewhat disagree with this mentality. While it is always good to keep an open mind and realize your passions may change, I don't think it's a bad idea to have dreams about your future at early points in your life--especially if you have strong reasons behind them. I've wanted to be a pediatrician since high school for several reasons, including personal ones pertaining to my own childhood and upbringing. I've had extensive experience working with children and teens for almost the past 10 years, and I can say that my desire to reach my goal only gets stronger with every interaction I have with them. So I wouldn't automatically label a person as naive just because they have specific aspirations very early on. If he/she doesn't really have strong, specific reasons behind his/her goals, then yes, I wouldn't be surprised if that person's goals change over time. But there are also others who have very personal, meaningful, and specific reasons for choosing a very specific career path early on in their lives, and I think they should be looked at with respect, not ridicule. I realize that in medical school (if I get in) I may change my mind again, but as of right now, there is no other desire of mine that is stronger than wanting to be a pediatrician.

Sorry about getting really serious here...I suppose I'm also biased here because "pediatrician" was a response one of the students provided..
 
Heard this one during my undergrad

person: "Im a fourth year humanities major"
Me: "oh what do you want to do with that? teach?"
person: "i want to be a doctor, pediatrician 🙂"
Me: "oh you've taken your pre-reqs? Med schools appreciate unique majors if you can get solid greats for pre-reqs. how was your mcat? are you applying this cycle?"
person: "what are pre-reqs"?
Me:..... "physics chemistry biology etc"?
person:... i took health science i didnt like it, its too hard, too much studying, is biology hard?
Me: "nice talking to you"
 
I don't see the problem here.
People, regardless of ethnicity, should become physicians because they want to do so, not because their parents want them to. Otherwise, the commitment isn't as sincere generally. I would want my doctor to really want to be in his profession so that he/she might be more dedicated. IMHO
 
People, regardless of ethnicity, should become physicians because they want to do so, not because their parents want them to. Otherwise, the commitment isn't as sincere generally. I would want my doctor to really want to be in his profession so that he/she might be more dedicated. IMHO

A job is a job at the end of the day.

Even being a physician.

There are plenty of people who always wanted to be doctors who end up regretting their choice or being horrible at it, and there are plenty if people who just fell into it who end up being just fine, even great.

I don't think you're being particularly fair here.

I would personally much rather have a physician motivated to go into medicine by her parents than by financial gain.
 
Heard this one during my undergrad

person: "Im a fourth year humanities major"
Me: "oh what do you want to do with that? teach?"
person: "i want to be a doctor, pediatrician 🙂"
Me: "oh you've taken your pre-reqs? Med schools appreciate unique majors if you can get solid greats for pre-reqs. how was your mcat? are you applying this cycle?"
person: "what are pre-reqs"?
Me:..... "physics chemistry biology etc"?
person:... i took health science i didnt like it, its too hard, too much studying, is biology hard?
Me: "nice talking to you"

classic. :laugh:
 
I have to say I somewhat disagree with this mentality. While it is always good to keep an open mind and realize your passions may change, I don't think it's a bad idea to have dreams about your future at early points in your life--especially if you have strong reasons behind them. I've wanted to be a pediatrician since high school for several reasons, including personal ones pertaining to my own childhood and upbringing. I've had extensive experience working with children and teens for almost the past 10 years, and I can say that my desire to reach my goal only gets stronger with every interaction I have with them. So I wouldn't automatically label a person as naive just because they have specific aspirations very early on. If he/she doesn't really have strong, specific reasons behind his/her goals, then yes, I wouldn't be surprised if that person's goals change over time. But there are also others who have very personal, meaningful, and specific reasons for choosing a very specific career path early on in their lives, and I think they should be looked at with respect, not ridicule. I realize that in medical school (if I get in) I may change my mind again, but as of right now, there is no other desire of mine that is stronger than wanting to be a pediatrician.

Sorry about getting really serious here...I suppose I'm also biased here because "pediatrician" was a response one of the students provided..
you are spot on there
i knew i wanted to be a doctor before age 10. weird part is that i sucked at biology and i was good in math and science without trying. the thought of studying other courses was there but it was always a comparison between medicine and something else. ended up in medicine. people are just wired differently. some at 25 still don't know which career path to take.
 
you are spot on there
i knew i wanted to be a doctor before age 10. weird part is that i sucked at biology and i was good in math and science without trying. the thought of studying other courses was there but it was always a comparison between medicine and something else. ended up in medicine. people are just wired differently. some at 25 still don't know which career path to take.

I think the major issue is the naïveté upon which those convictions are built.
 
Guy at a bar: So, what are your plans for the future?
Me: I want to go to med school.
Guy: Oh, really? Me too!
Me: That's great, are you in school right now?
Guy: Nah, but I'm thinking about going back and majoring in surgery or something before med school.
Me: Oh... That's great. Listen... I... uhh... Have to meet a friend somewhere... BYE!
 
Guy at a bar: So, what are your plans for the future?
Me: I want to go to med school.
Guy: Oh, really? Me too!
Me: That's great, are you in school right now?
Guy: Nah, but I'm thinking about going back and majoring in surgery or something before med school.
Me: Oh... That's great. Listen... I... uhh... Have to meet a friend somewhere... BYE!

I get the feeling you drink a lot...
 
Had a recent conversation with a pre-med who insisted on arguing with me that as long you fulfill all the pre-requisite requirements, you do not need to have a bachelors degree to get into medical school. When I insisted that you don't need Bachelors to apply but you do need it to matriculate, he opens up his laptop and starts searching on google to try to prove me wrong. I tried my hardest to help clear up his misunderstanding, but he just refused to budge. Then, he even goes as far as asking the physician who happened to walk into the room in hopes that he could prove me wrong, but of course the physician tells him the same thing I had been saying all along.

What I find most amusing is that when I was still trying to learn all about medical school admissions, I would highly value any information that anyone who has already applied would give me and to listen to his/her advice as if my life depended on it. But, this Kid almost seemed offended that I was telling him something that he didn't agree with.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a recent conversation with a pre-med who insisted on arguing with me that as long you fulfill all the pre-requisite requirements, you do not need to have a bachelors degree to get into medical school. When I insisted that you don't need Bachelors to apply but you do need it to matriculate, he opens up his laptop and starts searching on google to try to prove me wrong. I tried my hardest to help clear up his misunderstanding, but he just refused to budge. Then, he even goes as far as asking the physician who happened to walk into the room in hopes that he could prove me wrong, but of course the physician tells him the same thing I had been saying all along.

What I find most amusing is that when I was still trying to learn all about medical school admissions, I would highly value any information that anyone who has already applied would give me and to listen to his/her advice as if my life depended on it. But, this Kid almost seemed offended that I was telling him something that he didn't agree with.


You realize YOU are WRONG, right? While it is quite uncommon anymore, it is not impossible to get in with less than a bachelor's as many schools still have a "90 unit" requirement and confer a BA/BS upon graduation with the MD for those students who enter as college seniors. This was much more common 30 yrs ago but still happens and is something some schools are actually considering doing more often now to help ease the physician shortage in the long run. (Yes, getting physicians out into practice sooner will help to meet demand over time....) More commonly, schools will take the "or equivalent" part of their requirement to allow a student w/ 120 units but no formal degree to matriculate (usually in exceptional cases where the person's UG failed to offer the required class in the spring of sr yr as anticipated).

Practically-speaking, you were probably correct in his case since it is unlikely he'd get in with the minimum, but it is possible....
 
I was speaking with a guy who had just applied to nursing school. I know, not a pre-med, but still...

Me: So what area are you interested in?
Him: What do you mean?
Me: Do you like ICU, ER, oncology, etc, etc
Me: Where do you want to work
Him: Well I'm probably gonna be a cRNA. From what I've heard it's pretty easy to do and you make like $350,000 a year...

Me:
bertstare_xlarge.jpeg
 
Had a recent conversation with a pre-med who insisted on arguing with me that as long you fulfill all the pre-requisite requirements, you do not need to have a bachelors degree to get into medical school. When I insisted that you don't need Bachelors to apply but you do need it to matriculate, he opens up his laptop and starts searching on google to try to prove me wrong. I tried my hardest to help clear up his misunderstanding, but he just refused to budge. Then, he even goes as far as asking the physician who happened to walk into the room in hopes that he could prove me wrong, but of course the physician tells him the same thing I had been saying all along.

What I find most amusing is that when I was still trying to learn all about medical school admissions, I would highly value any information that anyone who has already applied would give me and to listen to his/her advice as if my life depended on it. But, this Kid almost seemed offended that I was telling him something that he didn't agree with.

Quoting angldrps's post here as an example of something funny an uninformed premed said/wrote.

The other poster has already pointed out that you are wrong.
 
You realize YOU are WRONG, right? While it is quite uncommon anymore, it is not impossible to get in with less than a bachelor's as many schools still have a "90 unit" requirement and confer a BA/BS upon graduation with the MD for those students who enter as college seniors. This was much more common 30 yrs ago but still happens and is something some schools are actually considering doing more often now to help ease the physician shortage in the long run. (Yes, getting physicians out into practice sooner will help to meet demand over time....) More commonly, schools will take the "or equivalent" part of their requirement to allow a student w/ 120 units but no formal degree to matriculate (usually in exceptional cases where the person's UG failed to offer the required class in the spring of sr yr as anticipated).

Practically-speaking, you were probably correct in his case since it is unlikely he'd get in with the minimum, but it is possible....

I guess I should have mentioned that we were talking about specific schools where having a bachelors is an absolute requirement to matriculate. I am not afraid to be wrong. Your post just filled the holes in my knowledge. No big deal.
 
Have a friend who is constantly bragging about getting accepted into Washington U in St. Louis. Everytime we talk he brings up how it's a great medical school.

Oh yeah, except for the fact that he just got accepted into the UNDERGRAD, not the med school. He hasn't even begun to apply yet. >.<
 
Status
Not open for further replies.