Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was talking with a premed here this past week and she wanted to know where I interviewed and all that stuff. When I mentioned TCMC, she says this in a I'm-too-good-for-that-school sort of tone:

Her: Oh I heard all you need is like a 22 on the MCAT to get into that school
Me: 😕 I think their average MCAT is at least a 28
Her: Nope, that's not what I heard

🙄
 
I was talking with a premed here this past week and she wanted to know where I interviewed and all that stuff. When I mentioned TCMC, she says this in a I'm-too-good-for-that-school sort of tone:

Her: Oh I heard all you need is like a 22 on the MCAT to get into that school
Me: 😕 I think their average MCAT is at least a 28
Her: Nope, that's not what I heard

🙄

I don't even think a 28 is enough but yeah that girl is going to get a reality check.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During my interview the tour guide was talking about how students score on step 1 there. And how it's "above average" (Cuz every school scores above average)

One of the girls in my interview group raises her hand and asks, "what's step 1?" The room went silent.......

After the most awkward pause the tour guide explained what USMLE Step 1 was. I couldn't believe someone INTERVIEWING for med school didn't know what step 1 was.
 
During my interview the tour guide was talking about how students score on step 1 there. And how it's "above average" (Cuz every school scores above average)

One of the girls in my interview group raises her hand and asks, "what's step 1?" The room went silent.......

After the most awkward pause the tour guide explained what USMLE Step 1 was. I couldn't believe someone INTERVIEWING for med school didn't know what step 1 was.

O.M.G.

....i have no words....
 
During my interview the tour guide was talking about how students score on step 1 there. And how it's "above average" (Cuz every school scores above average)

One of the girls in my interview group raises her hand and asks, "what's step 1?" The room went silent.......

After the most awkward pause the tour guide explained what USMLE Step 1 was. I couldn't believe someone INTERVIEWING for med school didn't know what step 1 was.

I only figured out what Step 1 was this past year. It's still a bit surprising that someone interviewing wouldn't know what it is though.
 
During my interview the tour guide was talking about how students score on step 1 there. And how it's "above average" (Cuz every school scores above average)

One of the girls in my interview group raises her hand and asks, "what's step 1?" The room went silent.......

After the most awkward pause the tour guide explained what USMLE Step 1 was. I couldn't believe someone INTERVIEWING for med school didn't know what step 1 was.

I'm just going to assume she had already gotten into her dream school and decided to attend this interview to be the ultimate troll...

Oh, please God, I hope this is the case.
 
I work with someone who is "pre-med" (non-health care related job). She's in a CC and planning on transferring to a 4 year. I recommended a slightly easier undergrad for a better gpa and said "GPA and MCAT are really the most important". She looks at me and goes: "What's an MCAT?" I respond with "the test you have to take to get into med school." As if the beginning of the conversation wasn't bad enough, she goes "Wait, you have to take a test?!"

She was dead serious. WHAT?! 😕
 
I work with someone who is "pre-med" (non-health care related job). She's in a CC and planning on transferring to a 4 year. I recommended a slightly easier undergrad for a better gpa and said "GPA and MCAT are really the most important". She looks at me and goes: "What's an MCAT?" I respond with "the test you have to take to get into med school." As if the beginning of the conversation wasn't bad enough, she goes "Wait, you have to take a test?!"

She was dead serious. WHAT?! 😕

yeah man I can feel your pain.. the other day i was talking to this kid who wanted to be a surgeon and he didnt even know what Schwartz's Principles of Surgery was. talk about embarassing, LOL
 
"You don't have to take any biology classes to get into Medical School."

Couldn't tell if gunner trying to sabotage or ignorant premed. :slap:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During my interview the tour guide was talking about how students score on step 1 there. And how it's "above average" (Cuz every school scores above average)

One of the girls in my interview group raises her hand and asks, "what's step 1?" The room went silent.......

After the most awkward pause the tour guide explained what USMLE Step 1 was. I couldn't believe someone INTERVIEWING for med school didn't know what step 1 was.

Awkward... :laugh: for not knowing the first step in the key to success.
 
yeah man I can feel your pain.. the other day i was talking to this kid who wanted to be a surgeon and he didnt even know what Schwartz's Principles of Surgery was. talk about embarassing, LOL

Neither did I until you mentioned it... 😳 I save the technical stuff until I'm in med school.
 
This thread is so snobby. I had no idea what step one was until maybe a few months ago when I actually started applying.

I also just looked up Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. And I have managed fine so far in the process.
 
This thread is so snobby. I had no idea what step one was until maybe a few months ago when I actually started applying.

I also just looked up Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. And I have managed fine so far in the process.

It's just SDN neuroticism. That surgery book is used by residents for board exams, so I'm not sure where venom's getting at...
 
This thread is so snobby. I had no idea what step one was until maybe a few months ago when I actually started applying.

I also just looked up Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. And I have managed fine so far in the process.

I can see where you're coming from with some of those...but really, you're a premed in college and you don't know what the MCAT is? That's pretty bad....
 
I can see where you're coming from with some of those...but really, you're a premed in college and you don't know what the MCAT is? That's pretty bad....

As they say, we can all be premeds, but only few of us become doctors. 😉
 
There were people at my orientation week who hasn't heard of Step 1; it's not a bad thing. SDN gives you a skewed idea of what a pre-med "should" know about med school and residency. Even if you somehow made it halfway through M2 without hearing about Step, you could still get an great score.
 
There were people at my orientation week who hasn't heard of Step 1; it's not a bad thing. SDN gives you a skewed idea of what a pre-med "should" know about med school and residency. Even if you somehow made it halfway through M2 without hearing about Step, you could still get an great score.

I don't think you'll do poorly on step 1 if you've never heard of it until med school. HOWEVER, not knowing what it is at an interview, to me, just looks like you aren't interested in researching that medical school. At every interview I've been at, people talk about big things like board scores, pass rates and residency match rates. It looks like you have no interest in the school if you don't have an idea of what the school's boards scores are, let alone what the boards themselves actually are. All in all you look misinformed and uninterested, in my opinion. But maybe that's just me (because i read about everything that has to do with med school lol).
 
When I attended an interview pretty early in the cycle, there was a fair share of people that weren't fully familiar with all those details associated with med school. The dean of admissions did come in and tell us they didn't really expect us to know much of step 1, board scores, or residency matching.
They said they understood we were probably more concerned with the step of getting into med school first and didn't become super informed about what happens next.
 
I don't think you'll do poorly on step 1 if you've never heard of it until med school. HOWEVER, not knowing what it is at an interview, to me, just looks like you aren't interested in researching that medical school. At every interview I've been at, people talk about big things like board scores, pass rates and residency match rates. It looks like you have no interest in the school if you don't have an idea of what the school's boards scores are, let alone what the boards themselves actually are. All in all you look misinformed and uninterested, in my opinion. But maybe that's just me (because i read about everything that has to do with med school lol).

You sound fun. 🙄

Let's judge others according to our own self-imposed standards, shall we?
 
I don't think you'll do poorly on step 1 if you've never heard of it until med school. HOWEVER, not knowing what it is at an interview, to me, just looks like you aren't interested in researching that medical school. At every interview I've been at, people talk about big things like board scores, pass rates and residency match rates. It looks like you have no interest in the school if you don't have an idea of what the school's boards scores are, let alone what the boards themselves actually are. All in all you look misinformed and uninterested, in my opinion. But maybe that's just me (because i read about everything that has to do with med school lol).

I agree. Adcoms want to know that the prospective student has done their research and know exactly what they're getting themselves into. They're not going to admit someone who will possibly fail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. Adcoms want to know that the prospective student has done their research and know exactly what they're getting themselves into. They're not going to admit someone who will possibly fail.

No premed has any idea what they're getting themselves into; don't kid yourself into thinking that, because you are aware that USMLE exists before matriculation, that you are more likely to pass as a result.
 
I guess it's not really less informed, more obvious gunner, but I'm sitting in a pre-health info session and this guy asks,

"How admirable is being an EMT?"

The speaker goes on about how hard it is to work in this county without more than an EMT-B course, etc.

"Yeah but how admirable is it??"
 
You sound fun. 🙄

Let's judge others according to our own self-imposed standards, shall we?

No need to be rude.

I'm just very passionate about what I'm getting myself into and am surprised when others don't know some of the major stepping stones in the process, that's all. I'm not saying know every detail about the boards...but at least know they're there and their name...
 
No need to be rude.

I'm just very passionate about what I'm getting myself into and am surprised when others don't know some of the major stepping stones in the process, that's all. I'm not saying know every detail about the boards...but at least know they're there and their name...

My point was that knowledge of USMLE's existence as a premed does not make one a better candidate for medical school, nor does it provide anything meaningful in the sense of "knowing what you're getting yourself into."

I only say this because I was that naive premed not that long ago. I can safely say that despite what I thought at the time, I really had no clue what I was getting into until even now. On top of that, though I was aware of a licensing process, I wasn't aware that Step 1 existed until early in my first year, yet here I am in the middle of interview season with plenty of opportunities.
 
I don't think you'll do poorly on step 1 if you've never heard of it until med school. HOWEVER, not knowing what it is at an interview, to me, just looks like you aren't interested in researching that medical school. At every interview I've been at, people talk about big things like board scores, pass rates and residency match rates. It looks like you have no interest in the school if you don't have an idea of what the school's boards scores are, let alone what the boards themselves actually are. All in all you look misinformed and uninterested, in my opinion. But maybe that's just me (because i read about everything that has to do with med school lol).

I still don't think it's a big deal not to know. Average board scores and match lists have very little to do with the school's curriculum and almost everything to do with the caliber of the students who matriculate as well as the connections made and opportunities pursued as a med student (and the school's name can help somewhat). You don't need to do any school research to know that Harvard is going to have a better match list than State U, and probably higher board scores too. IMO pre-meds get way too caught up in numbers like that. If you want an awesome board score, and have both the intellectual capacity and work ethic to achieve one, you will regardless of where you go to school. When you're researching a school, you should be focusing on whether that school is research-driven, service-driven, primary-care-driven, etc. and if that aligns with your own interests. You should also look at location and potential cost. Don't waste your time perusing match lists or comparing average Step 1 scores.

No premed has any idea what they're getting themselves into; don't kid yourself into thinking that, because you are aware that USMLE exists before matriculation, that you are more likely to pass as a result.

This.
 
Okay everyone stop ranting. I was just saying I was surprised to know there are applicants/interviewees who do not to know what Step 1 is, though clearly there are many pre-meds out there who don't. Obviously knowing what it is has nothing to do with your performance in med school. I never agreed with that statement. And also I am not picking a school based off of those numbers, they are just things that have been presented at EVERY interview I have been on because it's just one more way schools try to sell themselves to you. Let's all relax and get back to funny pre-med quotes 😉
 
I knew what Step 1 was since I was a Junior in High School.

And how exactly did that help you in medical school? oh wait you're a premed lol

I can see where you're coming from with some of those...but really, you're a premed in college and you don't know what the MCAT is? That's pretty bad....

I didn't know what the mcat was till 3 months prior to me taking the exam in my senior year of undergrad :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This one pre-med kid I was talking to the other day didn't even know what SDN was! Haha, and this guy wants to be a doctor?!!

I didn't know what SDN was until this year. I learned about it after googling the best MCAT study materials. Even, then I forgot about it and didn't come back until I was done studying. l only found the site again when I was ready to submit my apps and was yet agian...goggling information on schools.

Yes, I made it all the way through undergrad without knowing what SDN was.

Now that I am on SDN and made informed choices on applications, I find myself looking at horror at people with 28 MCAT applying to Hopkins and overseas schools. I had to restrain myself from interrupting a guy in front of me talking to his friend about how he was applying to only top 10s (with a sub 30 MCAT) and overseas as a backup.

SDN needs a business card that you can discreetly slip into naive pre-meds notebooks.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.