Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's odd. I've always wondered why pod wasn't a regular medical specialty...
My dad called me two weeks ago and told me that I should go into podiatry since there was only two podiatrists in his town and one is retiring. I had to explain that I couldn't do it because it has it's own schooling separate of medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Not really a pre-med and it's understandable because it was little kids, but here goes.

There were a bunch of kids from the community at the school today and I was helping teach a group of 7th graders about blood glucose monitoring. We were demonstrating with a glucometer and one kid raised his hand and asked, "Is that the same thing iron man was doing in iron man 2?"

I am glad I am not the only one who gets this. I was afraid people just didn't think of me as "doctor material". I have had numerous conversations like those you mentioned:

Them: So what are you going to school for?
Me: I am just finishing a bachelor's now then I plan on applying to med school
Them: Oh really? What do you want to go into in medicine?
Me: You mean what specialty?
Them: Yeah, like are you going to be a nurse, a physical therapist
Me: ... no I am applying to medical school, I want to be a doctor...

or they'll say: Oh, my (so and so) went to med school and is a practicing nurse now.
Me: ... oh that's nice...

This. EVERYDAY. "Oh, medical school? What field of medicine?"
Me: (giving them the benefit of the doubt) "well, I'm not positive on what KIND of doctor yet..."
Them: " oh, so a doctor though! That's awesome!"

It makes me hurt inside. Every time. I never get used to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My favorite is when I meet people that think knowing the dean of some med school or going on a mission trip with them is somehow going to boost their otherwise average apps into med school.
There's an arrogant kid like that at my undergrad. He's so smug about knowing "every adcom member by name" and telling people how they "always make exceptions" for people they know. He drives me nuts.

There's an arrogant kid like that at my undergrad. He's so smug about knowing "every adcom member by name" and telling people how they "always make exceptions" for people they know. He drives me nuts.

They just might make an exception about cutting slack to people they know if he's as big a d*** as you describe.

My favorite is when I meet people that think knowing the dean of some med school or going on a mission trip with them is somehow going to boost their otherwise average apps into med school.

As I've said before on this thread. I think you'd be surprised how far these connections can go.

I'll refer back to the article I posted about the kid admitted to UF School of Medicine without ever taking the MCAT because daddy was a congressman and the dean was a donor so he overrode the decision of the adcom and let the kid in haha.

Talking to a lady about how I was in medical school and she said some random relative of hers was at the same medical school, but now she's finished and happy to be doing her physical therapy job...

Granted, the PT do take a lot of classes with us, but it's just more proof that medical school is a fuzzy term for most of the general public.

Talking to a lady about how I was in medical school and she said some random relative of hers was at the same medical school, but now she's finished and happy to be doing her physical therapy job...

Granted, the PT do take a lot of classes with us, but it's just more proof that medical school is a fuzzy term for most of the general public.

It really is. I generally receive a look of confusion when I tell people who are not in the sciences that I'm applying to medicine. They usually ask me "what am I going to do in there?". I don't judge them, especially if they're older, but I find it a little bizarre that individuals my age haven't heard of medical school yet...

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah. I told my grandma I got in to medical school and she asked what technical program I was entering. I then said "no, medical school to become a doctor." She looked at me like I was crazy for doing that.....I am a girl. My own grandma. Sigh.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. I told my grandma I got in to medical school and she asked what technical program I was entering. I then said "no, medical school to become a doctor." She looked at me like I was crazy for doing that.....I am a girl. My own grandma. Sigh.

Just imagine trying to explain osteopathic medicine to them. :-|

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah another example is like how UC Denver's campus is combined so there are tons of other non-med school folks in close proximity. You'll pretty much see any type of health student you can think of on a given day (nursing, pt, med, mph, grad, i think dental, etc) :p

I know someone who absolutely got an interview because his parents are close friends with a dept head of a med school. He's not smug about it, isn't a douche and will be a good doctor someday, though.

--

I went to my sisters wedding and saw a lot of family friends for the first time in 5+ years. My mother had told them I was going back to school to become a doctor. They thought that my post-bac was giving me an MD.

Not quite as bad though as the person who, when I told them I was scribing at an ED, asked me if that was my residency...

I know someone who absolutely got an interview because his parents are close friends with a dept head of a med school. He's not smug about it, isn't a douche and will be a good doctor someday, though.
I feel like there's a stark difference between that and bragging to your peers that a school will admit you as an exception.

--

I went to my sisters wedding and saw a lot of family friends for the first time in 5+ years. My mother had told them I was going back to school to become a doctor. They thought that my post-bac was giving me an MD.

Not quite as bad though as the person who, when I told them I was scribing at an ED, asked me if that was my residency...
Yeah it definitely happens. Like with Dave Franco in scrubs! Hopefully not to often without actually taking the MCAT...

Okay, that's scary.
As I've said before on this thread. I think you'd be surprised how far these connections can go.

I'll refer back to the article I posted about the kid admitted to UF School of Medicine without ever taking the MCAT because daddy was a congressman and the dean was a donor so he overrode the decision of the adcom and let the kid in haha.

I don't see a lot of pre-meds in my major classes since I'm a math major, but I see a boatload of them in my general education classes.

I have a special loathing for a girl in my Brit Lit class. It takes a lot to make me hate somebody, but this girl accomplished just that. She has taken other people's stuff(including one of my friend's textbooks), interjects herself at least 10 times a session, and does other attention grabbing behaviors throughout the period.

I like to try to bury hatchets when I can, so I went ahead and tried to converse with her.

Me: So, how are you?
Her: Ugh, I just want to get out of this class. It's tanking my GPA and has nothing to do with what I want to do.
Me: Well, what do you want to do?
Her: I want to be a physician.
Me: Wow, that's cool! Do you have a specialty in mind?
Her: I want to take care of dolphins.
Me: :eek:

At that point, I sort of said an awkward parting goodbye, and went about my day.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't see a lot of pre-meds in my major classes since I'm a math major, but I see a boatload of them in my general education classes.

I have a special loathing for a girl in my Brit Lit class. It takes a lot to make me hate somebody, but this girl accomplished just that. She has taken other people's stuff(including one of my friend's textbooks), interjects herself at least 10 times a session, and does other attention grabbing behaviors throughout the period.

I like to try to bury hatchets when I can, so I went ahead and tried to converse with her.

Her: Ugh, I just want to get out of this class. It's tanking my GPA and has nothing to do with what I want to do.

At that point, I sort of said an awkward parting goodbye, and went about my day.
Oh yes, the terribly competitive aquatic mammalogy residencies.

Hahahahaha this is the first entry to make me actually lol on this read. Well done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm loling so hard right now. HAHAHA

This. EVERYDAY. "Oh, medical school? What field of medicine?"
Me: (giving them the benefit of the doubt) "well, I'm not positive on what KIND of doctor yet..."
Them: " oh, so a doctor though! That's awesome!"

It makes me hurt inside. Every time. I never get used to it.

Most people I've met think that radiologists aren't doctors, or they confuse radiologists with radiology technicians.

lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dolphins are cute doe yo

I think I am just going to start making up what kind of doctor I want to be to avoid all confusion. Typical conversation:

Them: "What do you want to do with your biology degree" or " What are you doing after you graduate?"
Me: "I am actually applying to med school right now"
Them: "What kind of doctor"
Me: "I am not really sure yet"
Them: "But what program did you apply to..physical therapy, nursing?"
Me: ......

After mulitple failed attemps I have simplified this explanation to "there are two types of doctor schools"

At the end of the day... it's not worth explaining. *Most* people don't pay attention to their physician's credentials or even care especially when they are ill. They judge them by gender, accent, race, and age. So sad, but true lol.

Lmao hahaha @ the dolphin comment. Haha... I don't know how I would've responded to that comment. o_0 ???confused???

My cousin was telling people she was studying to be a radiologist.

She's actually studying to be a radiology technician at a community college.

She also said she's getting her masters in english at the same college.

Poor girl :(

My cousin was telling people she was studying to be a radiologist.

She's actually studying to be a radiology technician at a community college.

She also said she's getting her masters in english at the same college.

Poor girl :(
1383548798196.jpg

I can always turn to this thread weekly to make me chuckle!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

I think I am just going to start making up what kind of doctor I want to be to avoid all confusion. Typical conversation:

Them: "What do you want to do with your biology degree" or " What are you doing after you graduate?"
Me: "I am actually applying to med school right now"
Them: "What kind of doctor"
Me: "I am not really sure yet"
Them: "But what program did you apply to..physical therapy, nursing?"
Me: ......

As much as I've heard this kind of thing ITT, I've never actually heard it in real life. Not sure if perceptions are just different in TX or...? That would drive me nuts though.

The other day with a girl coworker (she's applying to medical school right now as we speak) at my campus job (tutor and SI)...

Me: I just don't understand why it seems these kids just do not care about learning this stuff when they are premed and need to do well to achieve that goal
Girl: That's okay, it will bite them when their GPA is bad or they do bad on their MCAT
Me: Yeah, but unfortunately they'll still somehow end up as a doctor and mistreat people due to their lack of care (overstating, but making a joke)
Girl: That's ok though, when they apply for residency and end up hating their job because they can only do radiology or something it wont be worth it in the long run

What did I just hear?

Radiology talk reminded me of what happened at one interview.

Girl: So what speciality are you interested in
Me: well I'm really interested in radiology
Girl: I could never do radiology. Just imagine if you're on a plane and someone gets sick and they call over the intercom for a doctor. You wouldn't be able to help since you're not a real doctor.

I smiled and didn't talk to her for the rest of the day and she moved tables anyway.

Girl: I could never do radiology. Just imagine if you're on a plane and someone gets sick and they call over the intercom for a doctor. You wouldn't be able to help since you're not a real doctor.

I smiled and didn't talk to her for the rest of the day and she moved tables anyway.

actually it makes sense
i've heard a former ophthamologist say that they went back and did an im residency after they realized that they didn't remember any medicine outside of the eye

As much as I've heard this kind of thing ITT, I've never actually heard it in real life. Not sure if perceptions are just different in TX or...? That would drive me nuts though.

Are you a male? I think I get it because I am a female and so people think I should be a nurse.

Are you a male? I think I get it because I am a female and so people think I should be a nurse.
Lol reminds me of when I was volunteering at the hospital
A lady in the clinic called my office and said bring me this patient's chart blah blah blah and I assumed it was the nurse. Turns out it was one of the attendings and she got PISSED

that's actually a well-known joke re: radiologist on a plane... also, it's true.

Lol reminds me of when I was volunteering at the hospital
A lady in the clinic called my office and said bring me this patient's chart blah blah blah and I assumed it was the nurse. Turns out it was one of the attendings and she got PISSED

Maybe you shouldn't assume female = nurse then.

IMO she had every right to get pissed

Maybe you shouldn't assume female = nurse then.

IMO she had every right to get pissed
To be fair, usually the doc will ask the charge nurse or the unit clerk to track down prior charts rather than doing it themselves...doesn't have to be a sexist mistake, it could be a good old-fashioned misunderstanding.

To be fair, usually the doc will ask the charge nurse or the unit clerk to track down prior charts rather than doing it themselves...doesn't have to be a sexist mistake, it could be a good old-fashioned misunderstanding.
Good point.
Believe it or not, this thought process may continue even while you're in medical school.

The following took place while both of my peers were tag teaming a social history of a nursing home resident as part of a clinical assignment, both were wearing their white coats and sitting side-by-side:

Patient: [looking at my female peer and using a condescending tone]
"You'll make a wonderful nurse."
[turns to my male peer and puts her hand on his knee]
"And you, son, will make a wonderful doctor!"

On Saturday a radiologist told me "If you can't image it, I probably don't remember it." about things he learned in med school.

Yeah just like every physician on the planet
False. I need to know how much malonyl CoA is being used during abdominal trauma to properly execute an exploratory lap and the borders of the epiploic foramen to efficaciously administer the proper amount of methotrexate for my rheum pts.

Srsly tho, while some of it is indeed useful, the vast majority of it is pure hazing.

Reactions: 2 users
Him: You should look into IU since you'll be going MD.
Me: I'll be going DO more than likely.
Him: What's DO?
Me: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.
Him: So you'll be a chiropractor?
Me: :smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.